Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Hey guys, I saw the other lurker join in so I'm here as well.

Best newer series: Act-age, Kimetsu

Unpopular opinion: Berserk is overrated

Nice to meet you all.
Sounds good to me :super. I'd recommend JuJutsu. Berserk is for sure overrated...

Welcome!
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Shaft would be awful for Act-age, a lot of the time they erase the feel of the source material and make it feel like just another Shaft show. Also their weird cutaways would suck for something like Act-age that requires actually having the characters on screen for important moments.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Maybe Act Age will end up getting a new unexpected studio that we've never heard of
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Maybe Act Age will end up getting a new unexpected studio that we've never heard of
that seems to be working out well for WNL and it got 2 of them!
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Opinion on BC vs BnHA: Both are really good, although BnHA is losing me a bit with the recent developments.
It's the leading reason why heroaca needs a hiatus. I'm sure if horikoshi took a break and studied BLack Clover hed finally discover what he needs to do to raise heroAca to the same tier as BLack Clover especially incoporating characters developing new skills, enhancing teamwork and squad based tactics, and better being able to draw non messy/non hard to follow attack panels, most of heroaca are a mess and theres basically no battle choreography, all areas which BLack Clover is the genre leader of.
 

Golden Drive

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 6, 2018
Messages
5
Reaction score
38
Age
26
Country
Brazil
It's the leading reason why heroaca needs a hiatus. I'm sure if horikoshi took a break and studied BLack Clover hed finally discover what he needs to do to raise heroAca to the same tier as BLack Clover especially incoporating characters developing new skills, enhancing teamwork and squad based tactics, and better being able to draw non messy/non hard to follow attack panels, most of heroaca are a mess and theres basically no battle choreography, all areas which BLack Clover is the genre leader of.
I made this account just to say reading this gave me a a lymphatic tumor and sclerosis and I hope you're ready to pay the medical bills.
 

crazymaya

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
59
Reaction score
52
Age
35
Country
Mexico
Some crazy guy on 4chan said that KyoAni was doing Act-Age. That thread was a riot.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I came here to just post a question. Is SharkBait 12, genuinely rarted, or a huge troll? Because I have nothing against opinions, but he/she seems to contradict themselves like 50% of the time and it's getting a bit annoying if also funny.
His name says it all. He loves baiting people and most know it but still take the bait. Although some of the things he says, he actually means em.
He's a great member tho. This forum wouldn't be the same without him, so be nice to him and everyone else :)
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
that seems to be working out well for WNL and it got 2 of them!
cries

Shaft would be awful for Act-age, a lot of the time they erase the feel of the source material and make it feel like just another Shaft show. Also their weird cutaways would suck for something like Act-age that requires actually having the characters on screen for important moments.
I can already see yonagi doing the fucking neck thing lmao
 

Golden Drive

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 6, 2018
Messages
5
Reaction score
38
Age
26
Country
Brazil
I guess I can introduce myself by saying which manga I like.

When it comes to jump I really like Gintama, Hoshin Engi, World Trigger, One Piece, Haikyuu, BnHA, AssClass, Jojo, Saiki (though I've never finished it), HxH and shit I probably am forgetting.

From the new series I'm loving Jujutsu, Kimetsu,Act-age and Hinomaru. Dr Stoned and Neverland are also interesting.

I've read more stuff from the magazine, but I either don't remember it or I don't like it as much. I end up reading a lot of jump manga because their moves look cool in the crossover games and my subpar performance brain feels inclined to read the whole manga and suffer through multiple chapters of eye melting writing.

There's manga from other magazines too obviously but I'm too lazy to think and my newly acquired sclerosis does not help.

Hi.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Some crazy guy on 4chan said that KyoAni was doing Act-Age. That thread was a riot.
That would be horrible tbh It's not happening of course since kyoani is focusing on their published light novels for adaptation but a act-age anime by them probably would be quite changed compared to the original much like the majority of the works of the studio.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
shaft head tilt is eternal, and shaft, always has the best environments and filters/effects. Their anime feels unique.

I dont know why people wont some run of the mill looking anime for something that relies on the whole *imagination* aspect of making fiction come to life that Act Age prides itself on, you want it to look as dull as Food Wars or something?
 

Lizard_Boots

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2018
Messages
77
Reaction score
183
Age
33
Country
Australia
You know what's really weird? The fact that Act-Age is the oldest thing in the magazine that doesn't have an anime. :SOON
Jump probably need to push the other series. I feel that asides from One Piece, HxH, to a lesser extent MHA, BC, Neverland, I don’t think the average Japanese person would be able to name any other series off the top of their head. Even the corpses of Bleach and AssClass and the moved Gintama are more known than the new series right now.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Jump probably need to push the other series. I feel that asides from One Piece, HxH, to a lesser extent MHA, BC, Neverland, I don’t think the average Japanese person would be able to name any other series off the top of their head. Even the corpses of Bleach and AssClass and the moved Gintama are more known than the new series right now.
More like Jump needs a constant flow of new manga in order to survive as a magazine. OP, HxH, MHA, BC, TPN won't be around forever, they will end no matter how recognized they are. Jump has always given anime adaptations to the majority of their successful series, at least since the 2000's and they'll continue to do the same. Most series seem to get anime adaptations announced at around 75-110 chapters in, and all the successful manga from the 2016-2017 period have enough chapters for their anime adaptations.

If anything, I think the magazine is flourishing, because of the fact that Act-Age, a manga from 2018, is the oldest thing without an adaptation. That means all the newer series are taking off well in the present day manga market.

Even if Bleach and Gintama are well known, it doesn't matter to present Jump, the magazine is always evolving and it needs new manga all the time in order to survive, this is how Jump has maintained its success.
 
Last edited:

Lizard_Boots

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2018
Messages
77
Reaction score
183
Age
33
Country
Australia
More like Jump needs a constant flow of new manga in order to survive as a magazine. OP, HxH, MHA, BC, TPN won't be around forever, they will end no matter how recognized they are. Jump has always given anime adaptations to the majority of their successful series, at least since the 2000's and they'll continue to do the same. Most series seem to get anime adaptations announced at around 75-110 chapters in, and all the successful manga from the 2016-2017 period have enough chapters for their anime adaptations.

If anything, I think the magazine is flourishing, because of the fact that Act-Age, a manga from 2018, is the oldest thing without an adaptation. That means all the newer series are taking off well in the present day manga market.

Even if Bleach and Gintama are well known, it doesn't matter to present Jump, the magazine is always evolving and it needs new manga all the time in order to survive, this is how Jump has maintained its success.
I take your point, but I still feel that it’s a bit of a push really. Like I said, take an average Japanese citizen and ask them to name all the series currently in Jump. I would say that more people would make the mistake of thinking Gintama was still in Jump than be able to name most of the newer series.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
toc today is quite late huh
 

Haru Hana

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 15, 2018
Messages
45
Reaction score
26
Age
33
Country
The Wall
Jump probably need to push the other series. I feel that asides from One Piece, HxH, to a lesser extent MHA, BC, Neverland, I don’t think the average Japanese person would be able to name any other series off the top of their head. Even the corpses of Bleach and AssClass and the moved Gintama are more known than the new series right now.
Well it's not like we have a hit series that often. And nowadays it's even harder for new series to immediately gain a significant following since there are more and more manga/light novel/original anime being make every years, the same as other media like films and games. That's why many new series have to rely on shock value and fast pacing to gain readers' attention, and even then not many of them found success. Jump is doing their best to advertise their new manga, to the point people found it ridiculous. Slap famous author's recommendation on every new manga's volume, ToC now is just basically a promotion for new and rising series, Super Push campaign. and recently the "Four Emperors". They even gave anime for the manga that will be axed within 2 volumes if it's 5 years ago. Of course not all of them worked but you can't say they didn't try.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I take your point, but I still feel that it’s a bit of a push really. Like I said, take an average Japanese citizen and ask them to name all the series currently in Jump. I would say that more people would make the mistake of thinking Gintama was still in Jump than be able to name most of the newer series.
What is Jump supposed to do? They've given anime adaptations to their successful works throughout the years, they're still doing it, the only difference now is that there's a large influx of newer series being brought into the magazine after many other manga concluded after they were allowed to run for a long time.

They can't keep all their biggest series around for years, for example let's say Jump has 10 hugely popular manga, they all continue for 10 years and then they all reach their natural conclusions. What do you think is going to happen to the readership of the magazine when they all suddenly end? There's definitely going to be a significant decline of readers.

About Gintama, it was in Jump for 15 years, so of course more people will know about it. Less people read Jump nowadays, so less people will know all of the newer series. The people that think Gintama is still in Jump most likely don't read the magazine and that won't help anyone. Jump needs people to read and care about the magazine and all the new series.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top