Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I will definitely say that I believe the criticism towards Samurai 8’a art is way too harsh.

I think it mainly falls apart when the artist tries to make large shots with a lot of scenery, because of his lack of screen tones and shading. I think his clarity in action scenes could use improvement, but it’s not the worst.

But he’s definitely a good artist. Today’s chapter had pretty consistent art and it looked pretty good overall.
I mean, I don't really consider that much in the way of praise, given that the chapter was mostly just talking, there wasn't really much action to screw up.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I think it’s all just preference. For me I prefer something that’s cute, but also incorporates action.

I haven’t read Blue Flag, but I would say Jigokuraku is also significantly better than most of Jump’s recent new series in the main magazine
It is all preference.

You should really read Blue Flag. I think it may change your mind on the best new manga from 2017-2018. Great characters/drama.

Jigo/Blue Flag beat most of the series in Jump's lineup for me atm.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I mean, I don't really consider that much in the way of praise, given that the chapter was mostly just talking, there wasn't really much action to screw up.
I would still say it looked nice. That’s not to say that I’m praising it or saying it was incredible art.
But I don’t think the art is anywhere near a poor enough quality for it to be considered a poorly drawn manga.

Would also say that the artist’s colored art work, and single page illustrations are really well done. He just seems to have not gotten the hang of panel by panel black and white art.

If this was a full colored manga, I personally believe that his environmental shots would probably look 20x better.
 

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Sorry to asking this, because it seems it was already posted, but in which month the 1st volume of SPY x Family comes out?

It will be interesting to see how it performs in physical form and compared it with the amount of views it gets in Jump+. Specially because it seems to be the new flagship of the app.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Jump: Let's serialize a bunch of extremely young newbies. Instead of realizing how dangerous that is a la Bakuman, let's get the youngest talent we can and take pride that the new generation is led by the youth! Viva la U19

Also Jump: why are all of our new series flopping
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Jump: Let's serialize a bunch of extremely young newbies. Instead of realizing how dangerous that is a la Bakuman, let's get the youngest talent we can and take pride that the new generation is led by the youth! Viva la U19

Also Jump: why are all of our new series flopping
That reads like a comically huge over-exaggeration of the situation.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
It will be interesting to see how it performs in physical form and compared it with the amount of views it gets in Jump+. Specially because it seems to be the new flagship of the app.
Personally, I dont take the views on the app seriously. I do want to see how it does but my prediction is that it'll do average, maybe even slightly above average for a Jump+ title. Basically, it wont reflect its insane view count on the app.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
I know you're joking but at least 10 series on-going right now is by newbies (first time serialization)
A lot of the serialized "newbies" have been working on one-shots and stuff for a while. But recently Jump has had quite a few "new manga by a 17 year-old!" "new one-shot by a genius 19 year-old!" And my main message is that this isn't the way to go. Young author = good for young audience is definitely not the case in general. If Nakano is trying to push this aspect I think he should read Bakuman.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Thoughts on MangaPlus Chapters
  • Kimetsu 2nd best chapter
  • Act-age shocking but interesting
  • Highly enjoyed Tokyo Shinobi Squad. To counter some of the criticism, the author said his goal was "to create a fun series". And for readers like me he definitely succeeded.
  • Beast Children being pretty good as usual.
  • Saiyuki was good until the battle continued again and the nyoibo just... you know. Nyoibo'd. Again. At least in Bleach everyone has shikai and bankai, and there are quincies and stuff. Saiyuki's battle system is really way too basic.
  • Yui was really well-written this chapter!
  • Kaisen had a godly chapter. Great great character dynamics. Best chapter this week

Thoughts on 2019 serializations

Chainsaw Man (チェンソーマン) - very interesting and fast-paced. Thoughtful and gritty and crude and down-to-earth.#1, 2019presentTatsuki Fujimoto
ne0;lation (ne0;lation Neoreishon) - meh all-around. Technology can be exploited to be far more fun to read about imo.#2, 2019#22-23, 2019Tomohide Hirao, Mizuki Yoda
Gokutei Higuma (獄丁ヒグマ) - also meh all-around. It had heart though.#3, 2019#24, 2019Natsuki Hokami
Saigo no Saiyūki (最後の西遊記) - great characters and emotions but terrible pacing and battles and plot.#14, 2019presentDaijirō Nonoue
Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui (神緒ゆいは髪を結い) - all over the place but manages to be consistently either funny, interesting or even impactful. which is all a good manga needs to be.#15, 2019[100]presentHiroshi Shiibashi
Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru (サムライ8 八丸伝 Samurai Eito: Hachimaruden) - going nowhere and not very enjoyable but clearly building up to something big. still hopeful.#24, 2019[101]presentMasashi Kishimoto, Akira Okubo
Futari no Taisei (ふたりの太星) - somewhat interesting but it has a stunted storytelling style and there are almost no stakes and character motivations. forgettable characters = axed series.#25, 2019[101]presentKentaro Fukuda
Beast Children (ビーストチルドレン) - average all-around. will probably survive if it gets better#26, 2019[101]presentKento Terasaka
Tokyo Shinobi Squad (トーキョー忍スクワッド) - very fun!
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
A lot of the serialized "newbies" have been working on one-shots and stuff for a while. But recently Jump has had quite a few "new manga by a 17 year-old!" "new one-shot by a genius 19 year-old!" And my main message is that this isn't the way to go. Young author = good for young audience is definitely not the case in general. If Nakano is trying to push this aspect I think he should read Bakuman.
I mean, if we look at it from a numbers perspective, that isn't really applicable? Of the nine launched thus far, Fujimoto was a successful import from Jump+, two were from previously failed mangaka taking another chance, and another two were from established veterans. Only Neo, Higuma, Beast and Shinobi have all new creators, and I'd say Higuma was considerably better put together than Yui Kamio or Taisei, which were messes.
 
Last edited:

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Sorry to asking this, because it seems it was already posted, but in which month the 1st volume of SPY x Family comes out?

It will be interesting to see how it performs in physical form and compared it with the amount of views it gets in Jump+. Specially because it seems to be the new flagship of the app.
July 4th
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Kimetsu chapter was nice. I've been enjoying this fight, it was better than the previous fight with Akaza. The only good thing about that fight with Akaza was his backstory, usually I see sad backstories a cheap way for characterization if its done a lot but with some of the characters in Kimetsu its an exception.

Can someone post Kimetsu's bluray sales when the data is available. Ufo shows normally sell well but I want to see how Kimetsu does. 10k+ sales should be doable. Kuroko holds the top selling spot with 24k sales and sadly I dont see Kimetsu reaching that but it would be awesome if it did.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I personally think views on a site like Jump+/MangaPlus is a good reflection of how popular a series is. I believe the view count is more reflective of the popularity than the sales.

In my opinion, the main reason Jump Plus series don't sale nearly as much as series serialized in the main magazine is because they were born as digital series.
Fans of the series likely just don't go out of their way to buy a physical version of the manga is because it's all free on the Jump+ app.

Now, granted, I know VERY LITTLE Jump+ series are popular to begin with, so the majority of them probably don't sell simply because they're not popular.
And of course every series in WSJ leak online and are available online, whether legally, or illegally. However, the millions of people who buy WSJ every week are likely people who have an appreciation of owning physical volumes. While sites like Jump+ appeal to people who are hip with reading manga digitally.

I think it's clear that Hell's Paradise, Blue Flag, and Spy X Family are definitely popular(and would probably go as far as to say that they're likely just as popular as the lower selling WSJ Main stays. But even if SXF only sells 10K, i don't think physical volume sales are that reflective of it's popularity and fan base.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
VENERATE VETERANS!!! (GIA would come out with this if he was still around)
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I personally think views on a site like Jump+/MangaPlus is a good reflection of how popular a series is. I believe the view count is more reflective of the popularity than the sales.

In my opinion, the main reason Jump Plus series don't sale nearly as much as series serialized in the main magazine is because they were born as digital series.
Fans of the series likely just don't go out of their way to buy a physical version of the manga is because it's all free on the Jump+ app.

Now, granted, I know VERY LITTLE Jump+ series are popular to begin with, so the majority of them probably don't sell simply because they're not popular.
And of course every series in WSJ leak online and are available online, whether legally, or illegally. However, the millions of people who buy WSJ every week are likely people who have an appreciation of owning physical volumes. While sites like Jump+ appeal to people who are hip with reading manga digitally.

I think it's clear that Hell's Paradise, Blue Flag, and Spy X Family are definitely popular(and would probably go as far as to say that they're likely just as popular as the lower selling WSJ Main stays. But even if SXF only sells 10K, i don't think physical volume sales are that reflective of it's popularity and fan base.
Don't forget World's End Harem, which has physical sales of at least 100K. Though, considering the content...that's maybe to be expected.

VENERATE VETERANS!!! (GIA would come out with this if he was still around)
?????
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Don't forget World's End Harem, which has physical sales of at least 100K. Though, considering the content...that's maybe to be expected.
And big digital sales. World's End Harem Serie (with spin-off) print number (so with digital sales) is 4 000 000.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
And big digital sales. World's End Harem Serie (with spin-off) print number (so with digital sales) is 4 000 000.
Damn, that's bigger than Yuuna's total sales.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Jump: Let's serialize a bunch of extremely young newbies. Instead of realizing how dangerous that is a la Bakuman, let's get the youngest talent we can and take pride that the new generation is led by the youth! Viva la U19

Also Jump: why are all of our new series flopping
This comment feels like 2011-early2014 again with the "everything is flopping".
Also, I doubt Saiyuki's , Double taisen's author or Sam8 artist are extremely young.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
This comment feels like 2011-early2014 again with the "everything is flopping".
Also, I doubt Saiyuki's , Double taisen's author or Sam8 artist are extremely young.
Yeah this is... the whole take is flawed. There’s been as much old blood as there has been fresh faces lately, feels like.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Saiyuki mangaka is 30 years old.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top