Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I'm going to be surely mistaken (other spanish fellows can correct me) but here goes my classification of most important Jump titles in Spain:

1. Dragon Ball
2. Captain Tsubasa
3. Saint Seiya
4. Mazinger Z
5. Death Note
6. Yu-Gi-Oh
7. Naruto
8. One Piece
9. BoBoBo
10. JoJo
11. Shaman King
12. Slam Dunk
13. Kochikame
14. Kenshin
15. Yu Yu Hakusho
16. Bleach
17. HunterxHunter
18. Bakuman
19. Dr.Slump
20. My Hero Academia
21. Haikyuu
22. Gintama
23. D.Gray-man
24. Black Cat
25. Assasination Classroom
26. Toriko
27. I''s
28. Black Clover
29. To Love-Ru
30. Hokuto no Ken
31. Kuroko no Basket
32. Video Girl Ai
33. Kimagure Orange Road
34. City Hunter
35. Medaka Box
36. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
37. Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboken
38. Nisekoi
39. Beelzebub
40. Eyeshield21
41. Kinnikuman
42. Hikaru no Go
43. Stop! Hibari-kun
44. Cobra
45. Ichigo 100%
46. Prince of Tennis
47. Ring ni Kakero
48. Nurarihyon no Mago
49. Hoshin Engi
50. Sakigake Otokojuku
Neverland, Dr.Stone, Kimetsu and WNL unranked for me but I'd put the first 3 together over 30-35, and WNL over 45 right now. Black Clover has the anime coming to Spain so I put it. 10s titles are hard to rank since spanish TV doesn't' matter anymore, Hero Academia has the manga here but not the anime, while Haikyuu has the anime here but not the manga (Black Clover has both of them but less fanbase).
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Alright Samurai 8 is showing some promise now with the latest chapter. Last Saiyuki is cool but it might be too late.
Yui Kamio is a meme at this point, i don't even know what it is trying to do anymore.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Alright Samurai 8 is showing some promise now with the latest chapter. Last Saiyuki is cool but it might be too late.
Yui Kamio is a meme at this point, i don't even know what it is trying to do anymore.
trying to recover Nurarihyon's fans.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Yui Kamio is a meme at this point, i don't even know what it is trying to do anymore.
I see comments are like these on MangaPlus...mess.

 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
There might be a chance for Saiyuki to survive. The JP community on twitter seems to have really enjoyed the Estelle chapters and could be picking up momentum in the questionnaires. Really hope it makes a comeback because I’ve been adoring this series. I would at least wait for the Volume 1 sales to hit before making a final call on its future.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Shonen Jump top-3 of this week for me have been: 1. Kimetsu, 2. Chainsawman, 3. Hero Academia.

Act-age has been a very interesting chapter with a foreshadowing and Jujutsu has had the most funny chapter of entire series. Neverland has been intense, Haikyuu has been stepping up in last chapters, and Dr.Stone...has been like always (at least for me, Dr.Stone is overhyped, I always find it weaker than half of Jump cast; enjoying Jujutsu or Chainsawman way more). Hinomaru I see it ending in next 3 weeks, or getting a new arc. WNL has been ok.

Samurai 8 main problem for me is that is being very heavy on infodump (same thing we said about Last Saiyuki). Seems things are going to change next chapter.

For Jump newbies...Kamio Yui continues going full on but I still am afraid is too late. Last Saiyuki has been good in last 3 chapters, but I think is already too late for it too. Futari no Taisei is already giving me signals of ''dead''. Beast Children still is playing safe. Tokyo Shinobi Squad continues looking good so far.
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
There might be a chance for Saiyuki to survive. The JP community on twitter seems to have really enjoyed the Estelle chapters and could be picking up momentum in the questionnaires. Really hope it makes a comeback because I’ve been adoring this series. I would at least wait for the Volume 1 sales to hit before making a final call on its future.
I could possibly see that happening, it got placed above Yui Kamio two weeks in a row now, and it was included in this mangaplus promotion https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/177/. After Soma, Hinomaru looks like it could realistically end in 3-4 chapters, so if Yui Kamio got axed that would be enough for a new round without any other cancelations.

It could all mean nothing in the end, but I'd like to hold on to hope just a bit longer.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
When was Saiyuki first volume selling.?
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I could possibly see that happening, it got placed above Yui Kamio two weeks in a row now, and it was included in this mangaplus promotion https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/177/. After Soma, Hinomaru looks like it could realistically end in 3-4 chapters, so if Yui Kamio got axed that would be enough for a new round without any other cancelations.

It could all mean nothing in the end, but I'd like to hold on to hope just a bit longer.
The jump has 2 open positions of boruto and shokugeki in the souma, but I do not know if it is enough to save the last saiyuki, unless the sales are good to save the manga.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think it would not even require a cancellation, the jump has two open positions and if the hinomaru zumou finish goes to 3, and the jump already had a lot of 4 premieres (samurai 8, Double taisei, Beast children and TSS), I do not think it healthy to have plus 4 manga premieres.
So, I think they could keep Kamio yui for a while, too.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and Naruto are MASSIVE here in Brazil, as far as manga goes.

Dragon Ball is in its 4th reissue here, Naruto and Saint Seiya in its 3rd reissue. Sometimes I think Saint Seiya is bigger here than it ever was in Japan.
I don't think they're massive here due to their manga. Much like in other regions of the west, their anime are the known products here and more popular in those versions.

Of course, the manga of them clearly has huge popularity as well for the rereleases those have on the market.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I see comments are like these on MangaPlus...mess.

I dropped it but I don't doubt this is happening as since the beginning it had no focus on what it wanted to do, firing for all sides. lol

There might be a chance for Saiyuki to survive. The JP community on twitter seems to have really enjoyed the Estelle chapters and could be picking up momentum in the questionnaires. Really hope it makes a comeback because I’ve been adoring this series. I would at least wait for the Volume 1 sales to hit before making a final call on its future.
I hope so. And with Soma and the newer manga, maybe this will help even more.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Have to say, I think Beast Children is officially a miss. Five chapters in and it feels really bland, nowhere near the standard Haikyu and Hinomaru have set >>
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I already dropped them tbh. The only ones I'm still reading from this batch are Samurai 8 and Double Taisei, which in the case of this one, I'm almost dropping as well.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
The jump has 2 open positions of boruto and shokugeki in the souma, but I do not know if it is enough to save the last saiyuki, unless the sales are good to save the manga.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think it would not even require a cancellation, the jump has two open positions and if the hinomaru zumou finish goes to 3, and the jump already had a lot of 4 premieres (samurai 8, Double taisei, Beast children and TSS), I do not think it healthy to have plus 4 manga premieres.
So, I think they could keep Kamio yui for a while, too.
Boruto never took a spot (which is 20 regularly serialized weekly series). With Souma out, it is 19. BUT with GFC Oneshots coming soon (last year was around Issue #38 or #39) which will have to take over the current oneshots place anyways, Shueisha will opt to do one of these two things:
1) Keep all until GFC is over (which would take a lot to get there, not impossible but unlikely)
2) Cancel Kamio Yui and Saiyuki and add 2 newbies with GFC replacing the regular oneshots, with another round after GFC.
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Pretty great week for the series I'm following.

The mainstays are going strong as usual:
Dr. Stone had a hilarious chapter, HeroAca continues one of its best arc in a long time with great character writing and Neverland surprised me with that twist and instantly turned that new character interesting.

Though my favorite this week might be ChainsawMan. Absolutely vicious and great use of it's artstyle.
The Last Sayuki had another great chapter for BEstelle, even though the fight ended very quickly (well, of course..). It also showed that the author is quite good at drawing powerful action-poses. I strongly hope that it somehow survives against all odds, with veterans ending and the other newcomers being very weak, with the exception of...
... Beast Children which was... alright. Going traditional after the strong beginning. Not thrilled but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Now for the "problem children":
Samurai8 was mostly alright, tbh. Chapter seemed to "breath" a bit better than the ones before, even though the text-heavy infodump persists. I was a bit disappointed by Ann going all shy. Hopefully she's just awkward and doesn't develop an instant-crush.
Tokyo Shinobi Squad continues to be hilariously lame. Even ignoring the cookie-cutter characters and writing, it's been a while since I've seen an action-manga that was this bad at structuring action-scenes. There is never any proper flow or sense of tension between the panels.
Yui Kamio and Double Taisei I only skim through at this point. Art is nice I guess.
 
Last edited:

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
The winners from the previous GFC (2017 and 2018) haven't been published, right? Do you guys expect to see one of them in the next batch or at least this year?
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
To be completely honest, I'm pretty surprised Yui Kamio is being done by a mangaka who is not only a veteran, but a veteran of a popular series. This series is basically Yui Kamio Has an Identity Crisis at this point. Just when I thought we'd get some Nao/Yui background, we basically get none. If you divide this chapter into thirds, each one feels like a completely different series. Even after all of this, Yui Kamio is still somehow my favorite of the 6 newest series lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top