Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I started reading it weekly during Zou. I was reading it volume by volume and that just happened to be when I caught up.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
I caught up at the beginning of Dressrosa, around Luffy vs Don Chinjao.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
literally started reading it weekly on the first chapter after the time skip

never read the series before nor watched the anime at all

just on a whim because why not.

gone in blind for a while, then watched the anime because of my roommate was watching it so decided to backseat watch it. skipped a few since I'm not the one watching and didn't reach marineford

I'm not sure when I actually started the manga from chapter 1, either at the very end of fishman Island or at the start of punk hazard.

caught up in a few days
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I caught up close to the end of Marineford, not sure what was the exact moment. Just before Ace's death (is this still a spoiler?), I think.

And it's one of the only manga I never missed a week reading it, and it's been more than 9 years at this point... holy shit. It's a huge part of my life.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
When I started reading it weekly it was the return to sabaody/fishman island arc. My first exposure to the series was the 4kids dub and I remember reading some of the first volume in my school library as a kid which was like in 2003/2004. I didnt start catching up on One Piece till like 2010-ish and took a while to get caught up but it was worth it very much.

I had a lot of good memories binging the OP anime. I stopped watching the OP anime weekly with Punk Hazard and tuned in whenever my fav chapters in the manga were adapted. Pre-TS OP anime is really where its at but I'm glad the Wano arc is getting treated very well & even WCI.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I think I caught up with OP early into Punk Hazard? And I've been reading weekly since then.

If that Dr Stone spin-off is 9 chapters, I guess it's just a bit too long to have been the next Jump GIGA enticement.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Just out curiosity, I'm repeating the question but with My Hero Academia.

For me, since the very chapter 1. MHA has been the only Jump pre-2017 manga that I had been able to weekly read since chapter 1.
 

redon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
1,758
Reaction score
17,727
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
I discovered One Piece thanks to spanish version of the Anime in September 2003. Spanish version stopped in the middle of Arabasta Arc, so I continued with subtittled episodes until Skypiea and then with Manga (a very bad scanllation).

But when I really started reading One Piece Manga weekly was at the end of 2004. I remember first chapter I read was Luffy and Franky Vs Galley-La Company shipwrights in Water 7. And I continue reading One Piece weekly since then.
15 years reading One Piece every week :sweatbunny
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I've been reading all current wsj series since ch 1 except One Piece and Haikyuu which I caught up on later on (and HxH if you count it as current).

I got Viz Jump originally to read World Trigger (since they were ahead of scans) and I've kept up with everything since then. Most in English jump then Manga+, some through scans if they weren't picked up by viz, but I read everything current from the start except those two.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
I started One Piece around Dressrosa, right when the climax with Doffy was about to start. Tho before that, I remember discovering it thanks to the shitty 4kids adaptation all the way back. With MHA, before I put it on hold, was around the Stain arc I think
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
From current Jump roster:

-Haikyuu is literally the only one I hardly follow, but I follow it
-MHA I follow it since chapter 1
-Black Clover, I recall I started in middle of the zombie invasion arc in chapter 20s (the Fuegoleon stuff)
-Yuuna-san I read it for first time in chapter 45 I recall
-Kimetsu I think I started reading it while it was in middle of the train arc (the one that is going to be in the movie)
-Neverland, WNL, Dr.Stone, Jujutsu, Act-age and Chainsawman since chapter 1

As extras, Shokugeki since chapter 8 (Souma vs Nikumi), and both Assassination Classroom and Nisekoi since chapter 20. Hinomaru I think since chapter 90, and World Trigger I hardly followed it

What would be your case, guys? Interested specially in redon since I feel you are mainly an old Jump titles fella like me.
 
Last edited:

Aiwass_97

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Messages
340
Reaction score
1,776
Age
29
Country
Peru
I started One Piece thanks to opening 9 and that 4kids brought its "version" of the series; when I reached the weekly broadcast, the series was already entering Sabaody; I started the manga later, when they entered the New World.

As for Haikyuu! it was after the end of the first season broadcast; and the rest since its publication began.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Currently Following

One Piece - started following sometime in 2013
Hunter x Hunter - picked it up after the 2011 anime finished
Haikyu!! - started following sometime after Season 1
My Hero Academia - started following the series when the first episode came out
Black Clover - started following in late 2018
The Promised Neverland - Ch1
Dr. Stone - Ch1
Kimetsu no Yaiba - Ch1
Jujutsu Kaisen - Ch1
Act-Age - Ch1
Chainsaw Man - Ch1

Not Following

Yuuna - read about 40 chaps
We Never Learn - planning to start it soon
Samurai 8 - dropped
Beast Children - dropped
Double Taisei - dropped
Tokyo Shinobi Squad - dropped
Yozakura - planning
Mitama - dont plan on reading
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Reading:
One Piece: since 2003 with it's german dub. Switched to the manga in 2009.
Boku no Hero Academia: since chapter 5
Kimetsu no Yaiba: since chapter 1
Yozakura Family: since chapter 1

Dropped:
The Promised Neverland: At the end of the Goldy Pond arc
Black Clover: Around chapter 150
Dr. Stone: Around chapter 100
We Never Learn: 2 months ago
Samurai 8: After chapter 2
Act Age: Around chapter 30
Jujutsu Kaisen: dropped 2 times. First time around chapter 20 and second time around chapter 40
Mitama Security: After chapter 2
Tokyo Shinobi Squa: After chapter 5

Everything else currently published in WSJ I either never started or dropped at chapter 1.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Reading:
One Piece
Yozakura - chap 1
WNL -cha 1
Chainsawman -chap 1, put it on hold for one month, got back on it

On hold:
Act Age -chap 1, put it on hold around chap 40
Jujutsu- chap 1, put it on hold around chap 10, pick it up, on hold again on chap 40
Kimetsu

Dropped:
Dr. Stone (may pick it up)
Yuuna
Beast children
Taisei
Yui Kamio
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
-MHA: middle of the Pro Hero Arc
-JJK : at the beginning of the Goodwill Event Arc
-BC: it was around chapter 170-180
-TPN: around chapter 118 (right before the anime started)
-AA: during the Cinema Club Arc
-KNY: middle of the Inifinity Fortress Arc (right before the anime started)
-Read all the 2019 newbies from chapter 1
-Haven't caught up with other Jump mangas yet or don't indend to do so
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I read everything in Jump... since M+ became a thing. So everything this year I'm following since chapter 1. Chainsawman I gave up early but came back afterwards, enjoyed it way more on the second try.

I started Black Clover, Jujutsu, Yuuna and Act-Age this year. (I read chapter 1 of Jujutsu and Act-Age before, I think? But I don't think this counts)

We Never Learn I started when it began, but gave up on it and came back to it this year as well.

Dr. Stone and Neverland I follow since chapter one.

Haikyuu and Boku no Hero I started early on (around ~30 chapters), followed it for a while but stopped reading for a while and then went to binge it. Haikyuu was ending the Shiratorizawa match and Boku no Hero was ending the School Festival arc when I got caught up.

Basically I went from reading 6/7 series to reading everything just because it became too convenient and I want to see how the magazine was as a whole.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Damn you guys started OP pretty late, I started at Kujo Island and I'm probably on the younger side here....

Hero I started at chapter 50 I think, which was it's peak for me so my expectations were set super high. I think that's when I started to read everything in Jump.

Feels bad, at that time we only got jump starts so I'll never be able to finish reading Spring Weapon, etc...
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I am probably the only one here who hasn't read a single chapter of OP...ever. It's not that I don't want to, but I can't make myself read 900+ chapters. Maybe when I have more time, who knows.

For the rest, I caught every series from Kimetsu onwards from Ch.1, Haikyuu around Ch 40ish, MHA during the U.A School Festival arc, and Black Clover during the Witches Forest arc.

Dropped
Kamio Yui
Taisei
Beast Children
Tokyo Shinobi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top