Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharthas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
420
Age
34
Country
United States
I am actually curious now. How does that even happen? I get their news/tabloid culture isn't like overseas, but the fact we don't even know the gender of some??
I don't find it strange at all. It's not like mangaka' gender is of any importance, or relevant to the content they make. I can understand if authors just want to have a private life undisturbed by the massive number of fans. The less you reveal about yourself, the less likely you're being tracked down or recognized on the street. Forget private info, those authors don't even have any kind of social media (that we know of)
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Manga fans can be creepy, parasocial, sorts who nose into the private lives of creators, so I think (especially in the internet age) that creators are just more private about this stuff.
I don't mean about Shueisha/mangakas being silent on that. But the fact that even newspapers/websites/tabloids/whatever/ don't get to report on that? Mangakas don't just sit alone in their homes or studios forever. I do appreciate the respect they have to their privacy, I am just accustomed to my country's situation where even the low priority literary writers can't really hide thanks to paparazzi/reporters, let alone the gender ambiguity.
 

Kharthas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
420
Age
34
Country
United States
I don't mean about Shueisha/mangakas being silent on that. But the fact that even newspapers/websites/tabloids/whatever/ don't get to report on that? Mangakas don't just sit alone in their homes or studios forever. I do appreciate the respect they have to their privacy, I am just accustomed to my country's situation where even the low priority literary writers can't really hide thanks to paparazzi/reporters, let alone the gender ambiguity.
Yeah the Japanese are really impressive in that regard. I never heard of a mangaka's info being exposed against their wills. Even famous doujin artists who usually show up at comicons don't have their faces pictured.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mean about Shueisha/mangakas being silent on that. But the fact that even newspapers/websites/tabloids/whatever/ don't get to report on that? Mangakas don't just sit alone in their homes or studios forever. I do appreciate the respect they have to their privacy, I am just accustomed to my country's situation where even the low priority literary writers can't really hide thanks to paparazzi/reporters, let alone the gender ambiguity.
I wonder. Maybe there’s more accountability for invasive tabloid stuff like that in Japan. I might actually research this for a future thing, as it’s gotta have layers to it
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I don't mean about Shueisha/mangakas being silent on that. But the fact that even newspapers/websites/tabloids/whatever/ don't get to report on that? Mangakas don't just sit alone in their homes or studios forever. I do appreciate the respect they have to their privacy, I am just accustomed to my country's situation where even the low priority literary writers can't really hide thanks to paparazzi/reporters, let alone the gender ambiguity.
Gender ambiguity is likely simply due to the language. It’s rare in formal writing to use pronouns instead of someone’s name, so it’s rather easy to see how many are unknown since it simply wouldn’t come in up interviews and the like. This also leads to translation problems in interviews like M+ stuff because many translators would just use pronouns without thinking about whether they’re accurate or not. If they don’t appear physically on talk shows or whatever there’s no real way to know.
 

westabyss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
195
Reaction score
523
Country
Germany
I think Manga artists hide their face because they have the luxury to do so. They are celebrities but unlike singers like Rihanna, they can walk to a convenience store and grab some food without being bothered and a line of people wanting pictures with them. Of course, these type of things would only happen if you are like a super famous mangaka but even if you are like a mid tier mangaka, i imagine it'd be bothersome if someone comes up all the time and says:"Hey aren't you the guy that made..."
 

Magister Xehanort

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Messages
334
Reaction score
1,337
Age
32
Country
Brazil
Have you considered the possibility that females may not want to work in an office of 30 sweaty dudes where they are all alone as the only girl, when there are many more workplaces to choose from at Shueisha?

And if you were to ask, "how did it become this way then if not inequality?" Well perhaps 50 years ago it was an all male staff due to prejudice. Or maybe it was chance. We will never know. But that does not reflect on the current situation one bit, as the above explanation is another viable explanation, and none of us know what is really going on.

I am not saying that this is the only reason why.

But given that none of us have access to Shueisha's hiring staffs' secret manifestos, none of your arguments about how WSJ isn't hiring female editors, amount to anything but groundless raging.
But Japan is still a very misogynistic country, we have evidence of that, for example look at this news "The Japanese medical university lowered female students' scores because it didn't want too many women doctors"

 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Gender ambiguity is likely simply due to the language. It’s rare in formal writing to use pronouns instead of someone’s name, so it’s rather easy to see how many are unknown since it simply wouldn’t come in up interviews and the like. This also leads to translation problems in interviews like M+ stuff because many translators would just use pronouns without thinking about whether they’re accurate or not. If they don’t appear physically on talk shows or whatever there’s no real way to know.
This.
It's really dumb how some people use M+ interview as evidence of Furudate being male.
 

Kharthas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
420
Age
34
Country
United States
This.
It's really dumb how some people use M+ interview as evidence of Furudate being male.
The really dumb thing is thinking editors would go out of their ways to disclose their authors's private info when it's not even what the interview is about, on an online platform aimed toward foreign audience no less. If for some reason a mangaka want to reveal themselves, Japanese readers will be the first ones to know, and it will be through some kind of special interview or public appearance, like what they did with the author of Beaststar recently
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Incredibly late, but Tokyo Shinobi Squad was incredible these last two chapters, also, En x Jin is totally canon, like, wow, also the heart Jin uses for his punctuation in speech bubbles, be still my heart.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Incredibly late, but Tokyo Shinobi Squad was incredible these last two chapters, also, En x Jin is totally canon, like, wow, also the heart Jin uses for his punctuation in speech bubbles, be still my heart.
Wait, is En not like 12 tops? I was under the impression he was pretty young.

Also, I always read En and Jin as more of a younger brother / older brother dynamic. Especially considering the age thing.

These have been a good past couple chapters of TSS though. I’ve enjoyed them, hope the series gets to live a little longer than I’ve been dreading.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Also somewhat related, I recalled reading in the past there was no female mangaka in WSJ because they used to show author's faces on volume and on New Year's mangazine cover. So, WSJ didn't have a great history with gender representation, it seems.




Jump was full of rainbows, now everyone is an edge lord. :bishie.

The wonderful edgy era.

The reason for mangakas now for hiding their face or their gender. is that internet is advanced and social media is now an norm in our society, manga is now way more populair to the west. Some authors don't feel safe showing their face cuz people can be really cruel or cant even go outside doing some grocery.

Conclusion, authors feel safer focusing on their work rather dealing unnecessary judgments.

Damn I really wanted to see the face's of beastars or JJK ;-;
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
The reason for mangakas now for hiding their face or their gender. is that internet is advanced and social media is now an norm in our society, manga is now way more populair to the west. Some authors don't feel safe showing their face cuz people can be really cruel or cant even go outside doing some grocery.
This might be partially true.
Kubo faced people on twitter using his identity for various obscene nonsense to the point that I think one of Bleach's official sites has a description that says using his identity is a crime or something.
Can't remember which one but I saw it recently when I was browsing through it randomly.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
But Japan is still a very misogynistic country, we have evidence of that, for example look at this news "The Japanese medical university lowered female students' scores because it didn't want too many women doctors"

We are from Brazil. We know that it's no different here (even more with the president we have), and it's the same thing on all countries on different levels because no country is perfect and all of them, even the ones from first world have.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I mean, how many editors can you name? And can you confirm their gender? Editors are not famous figures as mangaka are, and even with mangaka it can be hard to tell their gender.

So we're pretty much talking over nothing here. There's really no way to know how many female editors Shueisha employs, if any.
Uh, not really. What we know is about WSJ, not about other editorials from other magazines from other publishers or Shueisha. But I bet to you that there's female editors on Josei and Shoujo magazine editorials, probably even in majority.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Apparently WNL got another spin-off light novel volume to be launched in december

 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
Incredibly late, but Tokyo Shinobi Squad was incredible these last two chapters, also, En x Jin is totally canon, like, wow, also the heart Jin uses for his punctuation in speech bubbles, be still my heart.
Seriously? En x Jin? Totally not feeling that one. (Like Thores said, it's more of a younger/older brother dynamic.)

If I had to ship anything, it would be Jin and his "I'm totally not your friend but I'm following you around and having your back and telling you how cool you are" rival. Those two have some serious bromance going on, if nothing else.
 

Psyrio

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 1, 2019
Messages
34
Reaction score
54
Age
27
Country
Algeria
So what issue do you guys think we're going to be getting new series announcements in?
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So what issue do you guys think we're going to be getting new series announcements in?
Man, this year's been so weird, that's a good question.

I feel like there's a few possibilities:

Possibility 1: New Series debuts in #51 and #52, ending the serialization year. Double Taisei and one of either TSS or Beast Children get axed starting in #50.

Possibility 2: If we get an early issue on the last week of November, that issue will be the rare-but-occasional Issue #53. Same outcome as Possibility 1, but with everything happening an Issue later (new series #52-53, axes #51-52)

Possibility 3: New series debuts at the beginning of serialization year 2020. Either 2 or 3 new series (spanning #1-2 or #1-3 respectively), with axes starting in Issue #52.

I'm currently leaning towards Possibility 3 as the most likely, but shit's kinda unpredictable right now, so "none of the above" is also a perfectly plausible option.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Tokyo Shinobi Squad has such a huge world to explore, no way would it be axed especially with the chemistry the cast has.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top