Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Guys suppose you were the editor of One Piece or Shueisha's marketing team, what would you do in order to attract new readers?
Or do you think One Piece pretty much reached all its potential readers? (Of course not literally but like it will only get very "few" new readers).

I ask because according to this graph a lot of OP readers are in their 40s+, I remember back when I watched Film Gold in Tokyo the entire theater was full up to like the 9 pm screening and the entire screening was full of 20+ people (Which is understandable I guess because it was 9:00 pm, so maybe late for kids).. but the point I'm trying to make is I think that One Piece's editorial team really should focus on trying to get more young readers.

It's pretty obvious when you think about it but One Piece started in 1997 that's 23 (!) years ago, so if say you started reading back then at 10, you are now 33!

I was thinking that maybe a seasonal anime remake with great production values could maybe reach the 20-year-old audience but not the kids (Since these anime are broadcasted late), and besides I don't think any other studio but Toei can make an anime adaptation (As in they are the one studio with the rights to the One Piece anime property).

But if the same graph I posted still holds true and only 12% of One Piece are 1-18 years old (Which would be 10-28 years old right now, since that graph is from 2011, almost a decade old) then most One Piece readers are 30+ years old, which there's nothing wrong with that, quite the opposite as they can spend money on lots of merchandise, but there's still a huge chunk of people not reading OP.

That made me think that perhaps this is the people buying Kimetsu no Yaiba volumes like crazy lol, it would be nice to have some demographic charts about KnY readers.
This was kinda the actual reason I was asking about how intently people follow OP. I notice that, generally, it's the older users who joined when the series was at its hottest around Marineford or so who talk about how intently the series is part of them. Meanwhile, people like me who joined around the launch of Manga+ generally either treat it as a passing interest, or quickly burnt out on it due to both the sheer length and the increasing narrative compression being overwhelming. It's an interesting contrast I feel.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
It's kinda amusing because, reading interviews with editor Naito, Wano was supposed to get back readers who'd drifted from the series in the mean time. And yet its accomplished the exact opposite effect.
OP has been on a decline since its massive peak sales of like 3M+ so I cant see how you can make an argument that it's had the exact opposite effect. I think some of the readers that left, will get back to OP once Wano is done (not to suggest it'll get a massive boost or something).
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
In regards to One Piece gaining new readers, how easy would it be to catch up on it for kids or teens who read Jump in Japan? I've only really taken the dive into One Piece (currently on Water 7) since Viz added the backlog, but there isn't really anything easy like that in Japan. Don't really know what piracy statistics are like for manga in Japan, other than that they take it pretty seriously. Reading all of the One Piece backlog might be a decent sized financial investment for young people, who will have less income.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
About the demographic charts, this was the most recent one after the anime ended, mostly women on its 30 and 40s. But i guess shueshia will release theirs with more concrete info

Fujoooo booooooost
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Making young people (or even anyone) to just read through 90+ volumes is just unreasonable.
Hell, despite being an avid manga fan, any series longer than 25 volumes is already quite a struggle for me.
Talking about this reminds of a discussion not so long ago about blasting through one piece under a week. I refuse to believe that's possible.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
In regards to One Piece gaining new readers, how easy would it be to catch up on it for kids or teens who read Jump in Japan? I've only really taken the dive into One Piece (currently on Water 7) since Viz added the backlog, but there isn't really anything easy like that in Japan. Don't really know what piracy statistics are like for manga in Japan, other than that they take it pretty seriously. Reading all of the One Piece backlog might be a decent sized financial investment for young people, who will have less income.
Manga is incredibly cheap in Japan. 440 yen is the standard price for Jump volumes, and that's about $4.50 depending on the conversion.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Making young people (or even anyone) to just read through 90+ volumes is just unreasonable.
Hell, despite being an avid manga fan, any series longer than 25 volumes is already quite a struggle for me.
Talking about this reminds of a discussion not so long ago about blasting through one piece under a week. I refuse to believe that's possible.
Also one of the many reasons why KnY is such a hit. It's so easy to get caught up with KnY. Plus its more straightforward than OP (not to say OP is a complex read)
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Some MHA stuff from the past days.

Episode 15 got another rating of over 4.0, totalling 9 out of 14 episodes (episode 1 was not rated because of the delay) that had ratings over or equal to 4.0. The series has pretty much become a staple.



Heroes Rising has crossed 1.55 billion yen in gross (approximately 14.21 million USD) with 1.21 million admissions. It's on par with the second film's gross so it should end its run grossing about the same or a bit less since this week it got a boost from 4D exhibitions.
I'm curious as to how the movie's gonna be doing internationally, especially compared to the first film.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Manga is incredibly cheap in Japan. 440 yen is the standard price for Jump volumes, and that's about $4.50 depending on the conversion.
That'd still be like 400 bucks for all of One Piece, though.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Countless times I've thought of starting OP but everytime I think I have to read 90+ volumes I just go like "LMAO maybe in my next lifetime". That ridiculous amount of backlog sure doesn't give people the push they need to go through all of it.

I'm curious as to how the movie's gonna be doing internationally, especially compared to the first film.
Should do fine at least. Would be great if does at least as much as the first one.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Making young people (or even anyone) to just read through 90+ volumes is just unreasonable.
Hell, despite being an avid manga fan, any series longer than 25 volumes is already quite a struggle for me.
Talking about this reminds of a discussion not so long ago about blasting through one piece under a week. I refuse to believe that's possible.
A friend of mine took him 3 months, but that was when it had like 750+ chapter (around the time naruto was about to end). But now it's quite a challenge.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I think it doesn't help that One Piece is actually a much harder read after a point. Post time skip, the series begins seriously compressing many plot sections down and introducing tons of storylines and new characters (while pushing the Straw Hats to the background, natch), which speaking personally can make it a very draining read after a while. Hardly a surprise people would gravitate to shorter, more easy to follow other works.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
With those mild Bleach rumors, I don't know how I would feel if the anime somehow ever got remade. I would certainly miss the music. It would feel strange without it.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
my first time actually reading one piece was with chapter 598(the latest chapter at the time), literally on a whim, I never really watched the anime nor have read the manga before that
which is coincidentally the first chapter post-time skip.

and only move forward until sometime in punk-hazard where I started backseat watching the anime because a roomate was just starting it, but since I'm not the one watching it I wasn;t really following it

I guess when I actually had a smart phone is when I decided to binge read since the beginning.


Starting from the post-timeskip with 0 prior knowledge was fun, since it add a sense of backstory to be explored in it (while in reality it was already told) and IMO actually made reading from the beginning later on much better


... eh

this is similar to my experience on only ever watching the endless 8 arc of haruhi suzumiya and literally nothing else from the series other than snippets to this day
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Spy and Chainsaw getting on bookstore list is huge. Definitely will see a boost. Bookstores will give them a small section (free ads) to display the manga
 

Lazarillo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
39
Reaction score
151
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In regards to One Piece gaining new readers, how easy would it be to catch up on it for kids or teens who read Jump in Japan? I've only really taken the dive into One Piece (currently on Water 7) since Viz added the backlog, but there isn't really anything easy like that in Japan. Don't really know what piracy statistics are like for manga in Japan, other than that they take it pretty seriously. Reading all of the One Piece backlog might be a decent sized financial investment for young people, who will have less income.
I've always suspected that the whole "you have to read it from the beginning" philosophy was caused by the degree to which pirated manga was made available in the west, rather than causing it. When the back issues are so prevalent and at no cost, there's less reason to avoid them, and it's a way for gatekeeping "fans" to decide who get to be their "peers".

I have no hard data for this, granted, but I suspect it's treated much like Marvel/DC long-runners are treated in the US. Nobody expects somebody who wants to read X-Men comics should go back nearly 60 years now and peruse every issue. You just take the basics: mutants good, prejudice bad, Wolverine claws bub. Then you find a story arc that kinda grabs you and you go from there. They're written so you can pick 'em up just about wherever, and it might take an issue or three to figure out the dynamics, but it's not long before you get the hang of it and and can decide to go back and fill in the gaps at your own pace.

And heck, I've done this with Jump series. Buranchi (probably much to his chagrin) can back up that I didn't really start reading Toriko in earnest until close to the last arc. And don't get me wrong, it took me a little while to understand exactly who the characters were and whatnot, but it wasn't like I couldn't just kinda jump (no pun intended) in when I felt like it and feel "caught up" just reading new stuff.

In some ways, it's hard for me to imagine the same might be the case for One Piece, since I've been reading it for so long, but I suspect that's just personal bias. Some 12-year-old Japanese boy who's buying his first issue of Jump after seeing all the big kids get excited over it isn't going to have to, or feel especially compelled to, go back to 1997 and start from there. He just wants to read the cool new funnybook.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Without context, that quote seems to be referring to the anime broadcast only, and only the beginning of it at that. Perhaps timeslots had an effect.
About the demographic charts, this was the most recent one after the anime ended, mostly women on its 30 and 40s. But i guess shueshia will release theirs with more concrete info

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Shout-out to the 90 year old woman reading Chainsawman
Speaking of demographics

SxF



Chainsaw man
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Some MHA stuff from the past days.

Episode 15 got another rating of over 4.0, totalling 9 out of 14 episodes (episode 1 was not rated because of the delay) that had ratings over or equal to 4.0. The series has pretty much become a staple.



Heroes Rising has crossed 1.55 billion yen in gross (approximately 14.21 million USD) with 1.21 million admissions. It's on par with the second film's gross so it should end its run grossing about the same or a bit less since this week it got a boost from 4D exhibitions.
I've heard that due to its slot being right after other superpopular shows, you can't directly attribute it's popularity to an increase of fans. Aka people stay on the television since they might as well, if BNHA is following what they came to watch.
That's just my theory as to why manga sales are stagnating but anime viewership is objectively growing.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I saw the M+ deleting comments things earlier and just wanted to add that I'm glad they're doing it basically because otherwise we would still find comments about stuff such as Iran, even more politic propaganda, links to aggregator sites and etc. Honestly, if I were to complain about the content of a series or the website itself, I would do it on the feedback section. I don't think comments is the best place anyone would like to be heared being filled with, I don't know, Boruto comments spamming they got to 4 millions by boting the series once again? Just an example. Anyway, don't mind this, keep your OP discussion. Started reading it weekly in Dressrosa's Birdcage btw, haven't stopped since then.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Making young people (or even anyone) to just read through 90+ volumes is just unreasonable.
Hell, despite being an avid manga fan, any series longer than 25 volumes is already quite a struggle for me.
Talking about this reminds of a discussion not so long ago about blasting through one piece under a week. I refuse to believe that's possible.
Reminder that I did it in 3 days over a long weekend in HS (reread tho) :luffy
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Countless times I've thought of starting OP but everytime I think I have to read 90+ volumes I just go like "LMAO maybe in my next lifetime". That ridiculous amount of backlog sure doesn't give people the push they need to go through all of it.



Should do fine at least. Would be great if does at least as much as the first one.
Honestly that's a bad mentality to have. The "finish it because it's there" mentality. Might as well never read it in that case.
I tend to think the proper way to read it is, read the first few chapters to see if you like it, and if you enjoy it, you naturally keep reading.
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
Spy x Family won as the most recommended manga by bookstores in all of Japan in 2020. 2nd place was Chainsaw Man.

Very happy about this. Both manga deserve it.

KnY beating OP's individual volume sales made me think:

Guys suppose you were the editor of One Piece or Shueisha's marketing team, what would you do in order to attract new readers?
I kinda got burned out. I think Oda over-extended the series. Oda is insanely talented at telling and extending stories, but there's always a limit, which is why most long-runners worsen over time. I think One Piece has 20-30 volumes that could have been cut-out. Would have improved the pace of the story.
The hiatus also affects the sales. It's rare for a series to be stable, let alone increase sales when it takes many unpredictable breaks.

Strawhats desperately need more impactful moments. I can't remember the last sad moment or the last time I rooted for a character that wasn't Luffy.

Oda still has interesting story points, but the series doesn't give that same feel it had before the timeskip.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top