Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 394 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Two questions:

1. Can we determine sales from this?

2. How does Yozakura's compares to Poro?

@seth2834
Just wait until the week placements from shoseki are out along with their estimations.

RafGL

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Two questions:

1. Can we determine sales from this?

2. How does Yozakura's compares to Poro?

@seth2834
What would be the point in comparing when you're confronting a situation in which 20 spots are covered by a single series and not only that but also Hanako-kun's backlog all over Top 100. Situation and context alternate positions and makes them even more relative. Trying to guess before getting weekly estimations would have no point at all.

Datu Mike

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
They have, they're the ones who decide to accept or not a studio offer based on what they want or if they want something specific they go themselves looking for a studio and companies, i feel like i posted this 3 times in the forum but again: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...-jump-editor-in-chief-hiroyuki-nakano/.143096

In the topics about animes Nakano basically says that SJ accept or denies the studio offers based on what they think is more suitable for the series, for BNHA and Neverland they were approached by the studios and accepted the seasonal format, Neverland being a case of a dark series and they needed detailed art and for that it would take time.

With Black Clover Nakano said that they wanted to be in a evening spot like Naruto and they also wanted to be produced for over a year so they picked Pierrot.

So basically they have a lot of say in the sense of being the ones who say the yes or no to the studios based on what they want for the series
So I'm right all along. I've seen this topic before where the WSJ are the ones decided whether this manga can be long running or seasonal. Thanks for the links by the way because I've been research that interview for so long

RafGL

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Also, it's a little shocking that Torture Princess is doing such mediocre numbers considering that the promo comic Haraharu Robinson posted has a goddamn insane amount of notes:

Princess is not doing mediocre numbers. Volume 1 managed to reach around 10k copies in 2 weeks (first week ranked in Oricon with 7k copies) and volume 2 ranks in Shoseki Daily have been #47 > #66 > #90 > #118 > #166 > #272, which I'd say is not a bad hold considering the situation and the fact that's a gag Jump+ series.

Blue Rock

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
You can't determine sales from daily ranking. But while comparing with other series debuted at the same time you can have an idea about sales. So they're not that useless. That being said weekly ranking will be out soon, so there's no reason to speculate.

Comparing rankings between different dates is ridicilous. Even if you factor backlog sales from popular series, it is pointless. There're more things that affects ranking, it is impossible to factor all of them in. Regardless daily/weekly rankings for poro:

Code:
|      |      |      |      | #044 | #057 | #096 | - #159 - 5.6k
| #070 | #101 | #138 | #134 | #228 | #213 | #228 | - #166 - 5.4k
| #245 | #346 | #358 | #259 | #466 | #356 | #415 | - #333 - 2.6k
| ---- | #448 | ---- | ---- | ---- | ---- | ---- | - n/a

Last edited:

MysticCatto

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Well, what about Mitama's with "A naked swan"?

Blue Rock

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
I don't think Mukidashi no Hakuchou is a good comparison for Mitama. It would be better to compare Spring Weapon No.1 or even David-kun. But If you're curious about it:

Mukidashi no Hakuchou
Code:
v01 - 2018/03 - |      |      |      |      | #168 | #300 | #367 | - n/a
                | #336 | #337 | #417 | #375 | ---- | ---- | ---- | - n/a
v02 - 2018/06 - | #117 | #261 | #303 | #385 | ---- | ---- | ---- | - #431 - 2.3k / 2.3k
v03 - 2018/11 - |      |      |      |      | #298 | ---- | ---- | - n/a
v04 - 2019/02 - | #245 | #408 | ---- | ---- | ---- | ---- | ---- | - n/a

Last edited:

MysticCatto

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I don't think Mukidashi no Hakuchou is a comparison for Mitama. It would be better to compare Spring Weapon No.1 or even David-kun. But If you're curious about it:

Mukidashi no Hakuchou
Code:
v01 - 2018/03 - |      |      |      |      | #168 | #300 | #367 | - n/a
                | #336 | #337 | #417 | #375 | ---- | ---- | ---- | - n/a
v02 - 2018/06 - | #117 | #261 | #303 | #385 | ---- | ---- | ---- | - #431 - 2.3k / 2.3k
v03 - 2018/11 - |      |      |      |      | #298 | ---- | ---- | - n/a
v04 - 2019/02 - | #245 | #408 | ---- | ---- | ---- | ---- | ---- | - n/a
Mitama Security (v1)
Code:
|      | #051 | #096 | #167 | #167 | #423 | ---- | - ??
Seishun Heiki Number 1 (v1)
Code:
v01 - 2017/02 (Fri)
|      |      |      |      | #037 | #116 | #194 | - #254 - 4.2k / 4.2k
| #090 | #167 | #214 | #228 | #395 | #311 | #398 | - #237 - 3.9k / 8.1k
| ---- | #415 | ---- | ---- | ---- | ---- | ---- | - n/a
Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun (v1)
Code:
v01 - 2019/01 (Fri)
|      |      |      |      | #066 | #119 | #141 | - #303 - 3.7k / 3.7k
| #136 | #150 | #168 | #239 | #331 | #295 | ---- | - #258 - 3.2k / 6.9k
Thanks. I was just asking about mukidashi because it was his previous series, but I think you've given me a better dimension to look at

BX-02BLODIA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have to say, its a little surprising Jump isn't in a bigger rush to fill the hole WNL and Yuuna will leave once they end. Since Cross Account, the only romance manga to debut in Jump since then was Alice & Taiyo.
Maybe in the next batch.

Blink22

Reaction score
Country
United States
Slightly hoping the next romcom serialized will be more supernatural. Like Hatsukoi Zombie from Sunday.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
That’s the end of Yozakura and Mitamas first week right? Shame Mitama couldn’t stay in the whole time.

TxxT

Reaction score
Country
Japan
They have, they're the ones who decide to accept or not a studio offer based on what they want or if they want something specific they go themselves looking for a studio and companies, i feel like i posted this 3 times in the forum but again: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...-jump-editor-in-chief-hiroyuki-nakano/.143096

In the topics about animes Nakano basically says that SJ accept or denies the studio offers based on what they think is more suitable for the series, for BNHA and Neverland they were approached by the studios and accepted the seasonal format, Neverland being a case of a dark series and they needed detailed art and for that it would take time.

With Black Clover Nakano said that they wanted to be in a evening spot like Naruto and they also wanted to be produced for over a year so they picked Pierrot.

So basically they have a lot of say in the sense of being the ones who say the yes or no to the studios based on what they want for the series
"At Shueisha, we have discussions about which manga would best suit which studios. Some studios reach out to us asking to adapt a particular manga, and we have turned them some of them down before. We decide it case by case"

Shueisha is part of the production committee so ofc they have a say, the production committee is the one who decides the studio etc, my point is that WSJ isn't the one who decides how long a series will air, it's the committee

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yoooooo yozakura staying alive. Which series is closest to it in sales over these weeks?

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, I'd rather see Mitama than Yozakura surviving but Japan decides what stays and what goes and maybe Mitama can still turn it around with its 2nd volume? Can't wait to see how the other newbies gonna sell, UxU, Mashle, WG, etc.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
While we're on the subject of Kubo possibly returning, what kind of series would you want to see him do?
fantasy manga starring a non human character (goblin/elf/orc etc..)
although i'd take anything non bleach related the last thing i want is a boruto or dbs version of bleach

He just hesitate for some seconds, he still was going to kill the chinese guy, but he used his powers on Andy to stop him.
that's what i'm saying, he hesitated for a second because the girl was watching, but this week he tells her to watch him kill

I haven't read Mitama or Yozakura but what type of gag manga were they?
Yozakura mostly episodic spying action with comedy and romance elements thrown in
Mitama mostly episodic comedic interactions with some action and fighting thrown in

For anyone interested, Raven Burai Chapter 1 raws are out (new digital Jump only series), thanks to Funky from WSJ Discord.

Shonen Jump Kengan Ashura/Baki?
sign me up!

I only read the first two chapters of Mitama, but one thing I noticed was how dated the artstyle looked. It had that Toriko thing where the artstyle looked like it was from the 80's or earlier.

Could that be a potential reason for why it's doing poorly?
it's shojo/josei art style, pidgeon-sensei said Margret manga is a big influence on him
I don't think it hurts the series since successful shojo and josei sell as well as shonen

Not even the winner of that year, Masaoki Shindo, published something yet kkkk
he did Count Over oneshot which was published after he won the 2017 GFC

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Quoting for the tragedy of the video being the last post in previous page so is easy to be unnoticed.

Awesome to see how the strongest Jump manga in early 80s wasn't Kinnikuman nor Captain Tsubasa but Fuma no Kojiro. Based Kurumada.

NeeNeen

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Whoa, what happened? One Piece dropped HARD on M+.

And because of that, the two Death Note one-shots are now on top of the ranking. 907 000 views for a one-shot... I wonder if it'll reach 1 000 000.

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So, anyone know any strong candidates for who could do Jump's next romcom hit? Both returning authors and newbies from one-shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.