Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,562
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

westabyss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
195
Reaction score
523
Country
Germany


Knowing that Kei is probably going to win, this is my vote as I like her equally as Kei
 

taqzer

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
184
Reaction score
181
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Gotw had its strongest chapter by far IMO. Chapter two feels like it should have been part of chapter 1 and honestly was tedious to read. This weeks chapter was a breath of fresh air for me. Pretty good.

Mashle was, well. I hope it survives. My favorite of the newbies.

Uxu had good chapter again. chapter 4 was the best chapter for me and this one wasn't as good but still enjoyable to read.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Feels like Witch Guardian is improving the expressions in the characters faces by the chapter.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
GoTW and Mashle are quite standart but I really like them.
Our boy(?) is back in Mitama, Gotta love it.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Pretty happy the salmon is back in Mitama, great chapter. GotW was nice, the setup seems really fun to follow. Mashle is okay, I'll keep reading and it's funny enough, but didn't really catch me.

Whoever doesn't vote for Chiyoko is wrong.

Top5 this week for me was One Piece > Mitama > Dr Stone (which is on a roll these past few chapters, really nice. Was tired of the arc but it came back at full force) > Neverland > Chainsawman
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Mitama once again knocked it out of the park. The author once again deceived the reader with a clever development for Samon Salmon. Such a funny chapter, and it looks like Janco has his work cut out for him. This just opens up so many possibilities for future chapters and character interactions. Undead had a great setup for next week's battle, and watching our main girl be happy (even if it was momentarily) is refreshing to see. If I could only pick 1 of the 3 newest series to stick around, it'd be this one. Yozakura's been on a good streak lately for its past few chapters, with this arc as a whole being pretty decent. I'm curious to see if the second volume will sell as well as the first, since many of the chapters that'll be in volume 2 were weaker than the volume 1 and 3 chapters. I'm getting decent enjoyment out of it, so I'm glad it's showing promise.

Agravity was alright this week; not as good as last week but better than pretty much every chapter before that. Hopefully the author will keep using Higher Dimensional Being, the Jumbros, and introduce more aliens to keep the story fresh since just the quartet of humans isn't really enough for me. Mashle was ok for me as well, but I'm already starting to grow a bit bored with the "use muscle to trump magic" gag over and over. I think other readers probably will too at some point if the author doesn't start adding other jokes/gags into the mix, especially since it can't really fall back on its artwork as a crutch. This is the last chapter of Witch that I'll be following. Nothing new or interesting here, but maybe if others mention it gets better in the future, I may glance through it again.

New Series Ranking: Mitama >>> Undead Unluck > Yozakura > Mashle >> Agravity >>>> Witch > Samurai 8 = Zipman

Top 5 for this week:

1. We Never Learn - People who know my opinion on the girl's of this series should be able to infer why this is my top chapter for the week. It was also refreshing to see Nariyuki think about himself a little bit.
2. Mitama Security - For the reasons mentioned above. I was certainly not expecting that character development to happen so quickly. The author has gotten really good at introducing characters, developing their personalities nicely, and getting them involved with the main cast's shenanigans.
3. Act-Age - A nice bit of simultaneous closure for Team A's rendition of the play and foreshadowing of some trick's Team B still has up their sleeve. I can't wait to see more of Chiyoko and Araya, especially on stage together.
4. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san - Interesting follow-up chapter to last week's bombshell, with another surprise twist at the end of this week's chapter too. If the series can somehow go back to its SOL-of-the-week nature that it had for awhile after all these twists and turns, I'd be shocked. The series certainly seems like it has maybe 2 volumes left depending on if the author stretches certain things out.
5. Undead Unluck - For the reasons mentioned above. The author really keeps up the pace of their story nicely, and I've found all the characters so far to be interesting. I feel pretty invested in what's going to happen with each character already, so that's always a good thing.
Honorable mention: Mission: Yozakura Family - For the reasons mentioned above. I was incorrect about my guess for the villain's motivation and backstory, but was still satisfied with what the author came up with. This arc has been pretty good, but now I'm just hoping the author can do 2 things once this arc concludes. First, give us some good Taiyo/Mutsumi moments between just the 2 of them without psycho interruptions. Second, figure out some way to better incorporate the family into the main story (
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I wish they could have put that voting system for KnY popularity poll too. To vote you have to pay for the magazine, buy coins and then fill a form with your info.
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
The new serializations really surprised me this week, for better or for worse. UxU dedicated a whole chapter to fleshing out the main girl with dialogue (although the whole setup made no sense to me). I finally enjoyed Guardian, because it gave me cozy vibes from a simpler time of manga and jrpgs.
But sadly Mashle completely disappointed me and gave me real low expectations of its future. The chapter had no flow, zero connections to the last chapter, it even felt like it skipped several chapters between the two, and completely half assed the world building, failing to establishing its own identity. Worse, it spent half the chapter doing cheap parody of HP scenes with the most predictable jokes that already got old to me.
 
Last edited:

evielynn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Messages
104
Reaction score
300
Age
26
Country
United Kingdom
UxU continues to be the best of the 2020 new 5. Pretty sure Zipman is already dead so rip, Agravity, Mashle and GotW were all decent.

Best chapters of the week would probably be JJK, Stone and Yozakura for me. As long as Yozakura starts going into some longer arcs where it actually uses it's cast after this, then I'm fairly sure we've found our latest long-term survivor.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Very solid chapters all around this week. Wish I liked Mashle more than I do, it's really starting to lose me.
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
Mitama had some nice bait. I believe in the salmon empire.
UU keeps up it's pace nicely.
Agravity was a bit dull, but I appreciate the author giving Saga more focus.
Mashle was great, hopefully the author gives mash more personality.
Gotw was very generic, but the new character designs look great. Interested to see how this plays out.

Favorite chapters were Jjk, Mitama, and Mashle.
Been hearing a lot of good from Dr. Stone, kinda makes me want to check out the manga.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
GotW: what's the point of a fence that has holes in it every five meters? Also, that little bandage shouldn't have been enough to cover her mark. Characters are still kind of bland, lots of exposition... I'll probably read it till the end but I don't expect it to last very long.

Zipman was a little hard to follow. Unusual angels are cool, but not if you can't make out what's going on. The MC not speaking a single word was kinda neat, I'm guessing this was an experimental chapter. Didn't progress the story much though.

Mashle is going to need something to keep it fresh or it'll get boring soon.

Yozakura is actually getting more serious.

UxU is still weird, but interesting.

Mitama and AgravB look like they're planning to stick to the weekly joke format. I have no idea what to think about their chances.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
HALLOWEEN!
HALLOWEEN!
HALLOWEEN!

"Fish never cry. Because the rivers and seas instantly wash their tears away"
-Sakejiro, Mitama Secureity, Code 24

Reading that Jujutsu chapter made me remember the part of the series I like most: the way the fights flow.

That Act-Age color spread was sexy. Good chapter too.

Seems that UxU slowed down for a bit, but it's still pretty nice to see some development.

MASHLE was entertaining yet I wasn't really wowed by it.

GoTW was better this week, but i'm still on the fence.

Agravity was petty nice this week

Good chapter of WNL. Although some parts did hurt....I have accepted defeat for my battleship.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I don't think anybody talked about this, but in Jump Festa, Hideaki Sorachi wrote a letter regarding Gintama's final movie and he had some words about Kimetsu no Yaiba (they're reading a letter Sorachi wrote):



 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
act age with a 40 chapter arc so far dayum.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top