Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,474
Reaction score
39,407
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
but giving 9 chapters to each girl is also bad.
first you know what the ending will be, that is to say there is no surprise, because this is the girl's route.
the author of btoom did not spend 300 chapters after he made the good ending to make the bad ending.
you will practically read a story already knowing how to finish. That's call the fan an idiot.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Again, you're practically going to read a story already knowing how to end it. That's call the fan an idiot.
That’s the thing... people know what the ending will be. And they want to see it so that’s why they like it. Example: everyone’s gonna be hyped for 9 chapters of a Sensei end because they know Sensei is gonna win in that end and they want to see Sensei win. Of course, execution matters more, but I don’t think people would really care as much as that if their favorite girl won, versus people caring about execution more of their favorite girl didn’t win.

I realize that I’m sounding vindictive towards Sensei fans, and if so, I apologize. I just... don’t really get her appeal. Perhaps I’ll need to read the series again.
 
Last edited:

Ottes

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2019
Messages
109
Reaction score
439
Age
24
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Again, you're practically going to read a story already knowing how to end it. That's call the fan an idiot.
But this is not a matter of how the ending will be, we know that Nariyuki will go with each girl from each route. The thing is HOW will be done. What type of approach will TsuiTsui do with each girl? A more comedy like one with Asumi? Or a more mature one with Kirisu considering her role and Nariyuki being a student?


Just like @Koni said, trying to do a satisfying conclusion to the remaining routes with only 2 chapters when Uruka's one already got a whole volume will not be enough.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
That’s the thing... people know what the ending will be. And they want to see it so that’s why they like it. Example: everyone’s gonna be hyped for 9 chapters of a Sensei end because they know Sensei is gonna win in that end and they want to see Sensei win. Of course, execution matters more, but I don’t think people would really care as much as that if their favorite girl won, versus people caring about execution more of their favorite girl didn’t win.

I realize that I’m sounding vindictive towards Sensei fans, and if so, I apologize. I just... don’t really get her appeal. Perhaps I’ll need to read the series again.
But this is not a matter of how the ending will be, we know that Nariyuki will go with each girl from each route. The thing is HOW will be done. What type of approach will TsuiTsui do with each girl? A more comedy like one with Asumi? Or a more mature one with Kirisu considering her role and Nariyuki being a student?


Just like @Koni said, trying to do a satisfying conclusion to the remaining routes with only 2 chapters when Uruka's one already got a whole volume will not be enough.
And as I said, spending 9 chapters with each girl is worse, mainly because you already know how it ends.
The author made 9 chapters for Uruka, but we didn't know that that would be the end of it and it will be in volume 17.
And volume 17 will not be just Nariyuki and Uruka, it is a continuation of volume 16, they will have all the main characters in the story, it is literally a last chapter.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
saying "it's up to the reader to decide the true ending" makes me think each character will get a volume dedicated to them rather than just a couple chapters each
I really hope this isn't a full volume per girl. At this point, I'd just like to see the next generation of romcoms starting. Waiting through 4 more endings for the same series would be a bit tedious, and by saying all are canon, it's basically the same thing as having an open ending. I would've rather just had a single conclusive ending with any of the girls and have the alternate routes as bonus content
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
I'm glad M+ is growing but they really need new servers, every time new chapters get uploaded it goes to shit as of late.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
New poll is up. (For this topic)
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
This Act-age chapter has been so intense and good. Is amazing the very high quality this manga has.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I'm glad M+ is growing but they really need new servers, every time new chapters get uploaded it goes to shit as of late.
Huh. No wonder the connection messed up while I was reading.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I really hope this isn't a full volume per girl. At this point, I'd just like to see the next generation of romcoms starting. Waiting through 4 more endings for the same series would be a bit tedious, and by saying all are canon, it's basically the same thing as having an open ending. I would've rather just had a single conclusive ending with any of the girls and have the alternate routes as bonus content
as someone pointed out Yuuna started before Nisekoi ended (wasn't there a failed singing rom-com or something that started shortly before Viz started translating everything too?) so it is possible to start new rom-coms now.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura didn't do much for me, it felt like a chapter from before this recent arc, which I really didn't care for. Not practically fond of all the stalker/obsessive characters in this series. Kyoichiro is enough as is.

Mitama was one of it's best so far. The Goku bit absolutely killed me

Zipman continues to rush to the end, with the MC's character arc of being self-sacrificing for his brother being resolved in about 4 pages. It looks like they may even skip the other enemy bosses and skip to the last one, but I'm not sure

Agravity was another great chapter

UxU was really good, I'm glad they didn't pull any punches, and the council looks really interesting

Mash I'm still not a big fan of, but I did like this chapter enough. I definitely prefer it when it focuses on gags rather than Mash as a character

Witch Guardian did nothing for me, pretty ambivalent about it

As far as other series go, Act Age, JJK, and WNL were all great. WNL looks like it'll give extended endings to the remaining girls, which I'm not sure how to feel about. I was pretty convinced they were only going to get a few chapters. That being said, this has definitely revitalized my interest in the series, even if it does devalue the original ending a bit. One Piece is still in flashback land, and hopefully returning to the present next week. S8 was really good, but the ending vibes keep getting stronger. I actually liked TPN this week but Ratri might be my least favorite villain in jump right now.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. We Never Learn - This should've been the series conclusion.
2. Mitama Security - Hilarious chapter. I was dying of laughter at the guitar part since I knew someone in high school who basically did the exact same thing. I swear Mr. Stripe looks surprisingly like an older version of Mr. Mitama. Good to see him again.
3. Undead Unluck - Once again caught off-guard by this turn of events. I felt super sad, but in some way, I felt at ease for her too. For those who haven't read it or dropped it previously, give it another chance. This series really gives of Chainsawman vibes but better. I think its popularity and sales will follow a similar trajectory.
4. Act-Age - Chiyoko too strong, but I hope we get to see a bit more of Araya's performance before Team B's play concludes.
5. Mission: Yozakura Family - Good way to re-introduce a character that I previously loathed. I like her better in this role. Now I'm just hoping he can loop the rest of the family into the story in a good way.

Mashle had another chapter that didn't really do anything for me. It's reminding me more and more of Seiji Tanaka with its one-note jokes, poor art, and very straight-forward character interactions and dialogue. Agravity Boys was dull again too. It astounds me how a series that takes place in space on another planet and in the future continues to focus in on gags that don't make use of the setting whatsoever. At this point, I think the readers get it: Chris looks like a girl and the planet is one big sausage fest. Do something more science fictiony already!

New Series rankings: Mitama >>>> Undead > Yozakura >>>> Mashle = Agravity >> Witch > Samurai 8 = Zipman
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I know that no one here considers yozakura Family as a romcom, but compared to the other manga from jump.
Currently, he only loses to We never learn in the romance part.
But he has a lot more romance than the other jump manga.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
S8 really feels like it's close to endgame. Even though Zipman's run was messy, this week's chapter had some great action. I have my qualms abou UU, but this week's chapter was really nice with some nice emotional punch and the last pages were a nice set up. Surprised to see that character return to Yozakura, not that I'm complaining as I want the series to focus more on it's existing cast. AA and MHA were both amazing once again, they are on a roll. JJK also had another good week. AA, MHA and JJK are series that have been really delivering without falter for a while now.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
First time that I got problem with M+ server in over a year. I guess I'll need a bit of more time.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Yeah, also for me. Most of the pics won't load.
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
So many great chapters this week! I've only read MHA, KnY, Black Clover, Dr Stone, One Piece and TPN so far but all of them are so good! Especially KnY and BC, which for some time haven't done much for me but this week had great moments. Excuse me, going to read the rest now
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wonder if it's the increased popularity causing problems on manga+'s site, the only time I have problems is the few hours after WSJ chapters release. Perhaps they need a server update.

I really hope this isn't a full volume per girl. At this point, I'd just like to see the next generation of romcoms starting. Waiting through 4 more endings for the same series would be a bit tedious, and by saying all are canon, it's basically the same thing as having an open ending. I would've rather just had a single conclusive ending with any of the girls and have the alternate routes as bonus content
If Yuuna and WNL end in the next few chapters we won't magically get a new hit romcom or two to take their place. We didn't get any new successful gag manga after Saiki and Isobee and KochiKame ended, and we still don't have a safe gag hit yet. If Yuuna ends soon and WNL just does a chapter or two per route, all it means is we'd potentialy have no core romcom in the magazine for a while, possible a year or more.

Like how there was no long running romcom for more than two years between To Love Ru ending and Nisekoi starting.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah.. I dropped Guardian of the Witch this week. What a disappointment, considering it was the one I expected the most.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Kimetsu: Another chapter, another slow move to a timelimit of 35 minutes. If this keeps slowing down, then the next chapter gonna be about 30 seconds and ends at 34:30. XD

One Piece: I just don't care about this flashback anymore. I so hope this was the last chapter about it.

Dr. Stone: Very cool grand plan for an insane goal. This is going to be a looooooooooooong arc, that's for sure.

Haikyu!: HINATA ROCKS IT!!!

WNL: End Route 1, start Route 2 next week. Glad to see my fav ship being next even though it doesn't have much supporters.^^

My Hero Academica: Damn, poor Twice. Poor guy just can't catch a breath. Also cool debut of Blitz-boy. And nice ship there, I support it wholeheartly~ <3

The promised Neverland: Yeah, this is pretty much over.

Chainsaw Man: Damn! DAMN! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! THIS WAS SO GOOD! WHAT A TWIST! I LOVE IT!!! I WANT MORE OF IT!!!!!

Undead Unluck: This chapter was quite genius in the way it defeated the super defense of Gina, well done. Also it was quite a bitter-sweet chapter, pretty sad. At least she got what she wanted, even if 50 years later... Also wow, that ending, story is still on the gas pedal, you take a quick breath and BAAM 180 again! Good one.

JJK: Oh snap, somebody messed up big time! XDDD

GotW: Don't! Explain! Every! Little! Thing!!!

Yozakura: I am so goddamn tired of this shtick of Taiyo suffering torture training, jesus fucking christ on a pogostick! Change the menu already!

Mashle: Holy mother of broken physics!!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!! But he did anyway. XDDD

Mitama: I can feel the cringe through my monitor into my soul. Good shit! xD

AA: Chiyo an Angel, no Chiyo a Demon, no Chiyo a Best!!!!! <3 <3 <3

AB: We should drop off all the other boys and rename this "Chris, the manga". :P

S8: I still don't give a shit.

Zipman: That's big talk for somebody I don't even know the name of. It's sad to watch like 40-80 chapters worth of development crammed into one.

SxF: Best name for a Spy Dog ever!!! Anya's expressions are on point and hilarious and worth their own poll!!! Put her facial expressions on stickers or as whatsapp/Line stickers and it will sell like hotcakes for all ages, no doubt!!!

Yeah, this was a good week to read. <3
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top