Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,386
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Kimetsu's getting more criticism than ever because it's gotten popular, and any big popular battle shounen draws in the shounenfriends (people who hate everything about battle shounen but only read battle shounen).

Personally I think the fight's great, I know it's slow and repeats a bit but that results in something I really like about Kimetsu in general, it's great at making the fights feel like an incredible struggle that they only barely manage to win using the very best of everyone's abilities. And unlike big final villains in other series, it actually feels like Muzan's going all out too, usually final villains screw around not really trying until they suddenly lose, but here Muzan's desperate and struggling, using all of his powers, doing constant big area attacks to hit everyone at once, going all out. Compare that to Kaguya, Ywach, etc where they always had that stupid godly facade, and even after being beaten it feels like they probably had extra secret powers they never even used, and could've won easily at any time if they felt like it. Kimetsu's is great though as it's one of the few shounen final battles I've seen that's an intense struggle on both sides, I personally think it's been one of the very best out there.

Once it's all complete the battle will probably be incredible to being in one sitting, same as the other slow struggling fights like red light district (that got similar complaints when it was ongoing).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

In contrast to Kimetsu however is Guardian of the Witch, the biggest problem of that series to me is the battles. There's other bad stuff too but in this chapter, the opponents just stood around doing nothing for the whole chapter waiting for MC's turn to attack like some jrpg.

Maybe that's it's problem in general, being too inspired by jrpgs. Turn based fights, the journey being focused on going between villages (that'll probably all have some minor challenge or side-quest to make them love you), starting off the second chapter by characters chatting about what happened a moment ago, and so on. It's a jrpg as a manga.
 
Last edited:

Eisenfaust

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
443
Reaction score
791
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
England
I do agree there some issues about the pacing and Muzan itself but considering it as that it can get a worse ending than Naruto/Bleach is really going out of the rails.
To make it clear, I only mean now the battle with Muzan is really bad. Overall the story is still good even though the fight is kinda underwhelming for me, when I bring Naruto/Bleach ending, I just mean their battles and not the story as the whole.
Storywise I agree the ending of KnY probably do it far better then Naruto/Bleach, but as the final battle, I don´t think so.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree that Muzan probably won't be as fondly remembered as Bleach and Naruto's more iconic villains, at the very least.

Muzan is no Aizen/Itachi/etc.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
My Hero Academia right now is having the best action battles in current roster. I'm surprised some people are praising half of Jump roster while ignoring My Hero Academia right now, to be honest. Hori is now in a very good shape.

EDIT: Some people should notice that the weekly poll is about "3 best chapters of the week", not "3 favorite manga from the roster"
 
Last edited:

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Speaking of villians, how do you feel about them with the current series? (Overall).
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Speaking of villians, how do you feel about them with the current series? (Overall).
Unironically the most fresh villains right now would be the Spade Trio from Black Clover. They are very recent and they are screwing a lot with the good boys.

Otherwise, My Hero Academia. Situation is being more dynamic than Kimetsu and One Piece right now, and things are really unpredictable.

Chainsawman feels like a battle royale, and Jujutsu has a main focus in just Mahito, Geto, and maybe Toji.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
MHA can do great battles when it's doing the big main 1v1 fight of an arc (Gentle, pro hero arc) but the smaller fights aren't the best, and the current arc's been pretty weak on that regard imo since it's all small fights. Current Kimetsu's definitely better than current MHA at fights, every fight this whole arc has been pretty intense.

Jujutsu Kaisen I feel like could have amazing fights when animated since there's a lot of cool stuff going on, but I still find it a bit awkward to follow the structure of them in the manga at times.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
MHA can do great battles when it's doing the big main 1v1 fight of an arc (Gentle, pro hero arc) but the smaller fights aren't the best, and the current arc's been pretty weak on that regard imo since it's all small fights. Current Kimetsu's definitely better than current MHA at fights, every fight this whole arc has been pretty intense.

Jujutsu Kaisen I feel like could have amazing fights when animated since there's a lot of cool stuff going on, but I still find it a bit awkward to follow the structure of them in the manga at times.
Dunno, at least for me, I feel the fight vs Muzan very static. I know is maybe the final fight against the big bad of the manga but still feels slow. Same for the fights against the Upper Moons. Meanwhile, I feel the fights in Hero Academia very dynamic. They are quick but not too-short, and yet they feel very intense (well, in this current arc we only had one fight so far, but it was really good).
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I liked most of the Bnha's battles, except Overhaul vs Mirio/Deku and every Class A vs B fights. Also this arc I have the feel we will get more great fights like Miruko's.

About the villians, I think the current ones are not in the level of Madara/Aizen or even Zabuza to be honest (as memorable ones) (Can't speak of Jjk since I don't read it, planning to)
 

Jorden Rivera

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2017
Messages
392
Reaction score
724
Age
29
Country
United States
I've always liked the intelligence that Jujutsu Kaisen fights bring out. It's not really about flashy moves, it focuses heavily on choreography and outsmarting your opponent. The most recent fight is a perfect example of this. The power system requires people to have just as many brains as brawn. It reminds me a lot of Hunter x Hunter. Kimetsu, I feel had a solid grasp of choreography, but the majority of the fights just come down to the main character doing something he has never done before. I haven't read My Hero in a while, but I remember the fights being good.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
“He can hit one. OHHHHHHH HE CAN HIT ONE!!!!”
Another masterclass week from Don Tozuka-sensei with the plaudits and fantastic reception rolling in from JP? O0
UxU truly is my favorite new series since Chainsaw and was ecstatic to read another great chapter this week. The most comparable aspect of this series to HxH for me is the the way both series are grounded in their own combat system where every single character operates under the limitations of their rules. There’s also a pretty melancholic tone similar to HxH where major characters have killed and deal with the consequences of death. We have a potentially great series on our hands here if the battle system is even half as intricate and well-thought out as the nen system.
Finally! A new jump battle series I’m anticipating and eager to read weekly.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Personally I think Muzan's a lot better as a villain than Madara, the Uchihas were just plain boring and we really didn't need more than 2 of them. In terms of final villain rankings. The only reason Madara and Obito are memorable is because they were around for so long. Muzan also has one of my favourite villain intros, ch 14.

Aizen was entertaining but I feel like he was a great meme above all else.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Personally I think Muzan's a lot better as a villain than Madara, the Uchihas were just plain boring and we really didn't need more than 2 of them. In terms of final villain rankings. The only reason Madara and Obito are memorable is because they were around for so long. Muzan also has one of my favourite villain intros, ch 14.

Aizen was entertaining but I feel like he was a great meme above all else.
In truth, Muzan is not much better or worse than a lot of older Jump villains (most One Piece villains have about the same or even less depth), the issue is that 1. Most of KNY's other villains are better than him (Gyutaro, Akaza and Douma namely) and 2. The very nostalgic nature of the Big 3 means people tend to sugarcoat their memories of those series and consequently their villains.
 

haijihusbando

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
175
Reaction score
572
Country
South Korea
Dunno, at least for me, I feel the fight vs Muzan very static. I know is maybe the final fight against the big bad of the manga but still feels slow. Same for the fights against the Upper Moons. Meanwhile, I feel the fights in Hero Academia very dynamic. They are quick but not too-short, and yet they feel very intense (well, in this current arc we only had one fight so far, but it was really good).
A large part of that imo is due to the nature of the fighting itself, in terms of choreography, rather than anything about the quality of the fights themselves. KnY is set in a historical fantasy using samurai-elemental techniques to fight (apart from Blood Demon arts), while MHA has a much more diverse ability range because of its Quirk system, which opens us much more room for creativity, which in turn can make its fights feel more dynamic. Similarly, the fights in MHA are generally much quicker because it's often a battle between who has the stronger quirk or who uses their quirks the best (think OfA vs All Might), while KNY takes away focus from individual strength to focus more on longer team-based struggles that results in heavy consequences for the characters. I think both are great in what they do as a result.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Yeah I'd agree the upper moons are better (Douma's my personal favourite), but I do think Muzan had the best intro, and he's better than Madara/Obito for sure. Kishi lost his touch for entertaining/interesting antagonists after the Pain arc (and as shown by Samurai 8, still hasn't got it back).
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
My Hero Academia right now is having the best action battles in current roster. I'm surprised some people are praising half of Jump roster while ignoring My Hero Academia right now, to be honest. Hori is now in a very good shape.

EDIT: Some people should notice that the weekly poll is about "3 best chapters of the week", not "3 favorite manga from the roster"
To be fair, HeroAca's been ranking very high in the forum's polls recently. It got 2nd place last poll, outscoring third by a sizable margin. That chapter and this one is helping to mitigate my big issue with the series, which is it's minor characters. It's really cool to see minor characters with potential finally begin living up to it. I can't judge this arc as of yet though, since things are only just beginning.

I've always found the biggest strength in HeroAca's fights to be it's emotional stakes. The actual quirks themselves can on occasion make for some really dynamic fights, such as Gentle vs Deku (where the good mix of choreography and emotional stakes makes for my favorite fight in the series so far), but if you boil down to it, a lot of the fights are mainly just a bunch of flashy moves being used in succession. Choreography really isn't this manga's strong suit. Thankfully, this is paired with HeroAca's ability to make (IMO) interesting-looking characters with a lot of potential. So when something like last chapter does happen, it's usually to great fanfare - I'm pretty sure a certain hero gained a hell of a lot of new fans almost overnight.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Yeah I'd agree the upper moons are better (Douma's my personal favourite), but I do think Muzan had the best intro, and he's better than Madara/Obito for sure. Kishi lost his touch for entertaining/interesting antagonists after the Pain arc (and as shown by Samurai 8, still hasn't got it back).
Also Douma has the best design from all. Can't wait to see him animated honestly.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,386
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Muzan better than Madara? not even better than Obito, let alone Madara kkkk

Btw, my post was just about the statement itself about the battle being one of "the greatest of this era", not a jab at the series as a whole.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Madara and Obito were awful villains, the only reason they're remembered so well is because their battle took so long. They were pretty much just the same character too. In terms of great final villains, those two are right near dead last of the list.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,386
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Madara and Obito were awful villains, the only reason they're remembered so well is because their battle took so long. They were pretty much just the same character too. In terms of great final villains, those two are right near dead last of the list.
I don't think you really remember these characters well, because they were not the same characters at all unless you consider the whole "being played by someone bigger = same character" which is a very shalow way to see things, also not because their battle took long, but because they were full characters with a whole story and motivations developed and a giant build up behind it, what is Muzan? just the bad guy because he is the bad guy and a final battle waving tentacles non stop, i do agree that Madara end wasn't really good but neither Muzan is going to be at this point too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top