Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
I hope I'm not "fueling the flames" or whatever since I saw a bunch of posts getting deleted on a topic I wanted to say something about

I don't think it's possible to be 100% objective when voting for a weekly chapter no matter how hard you try to. How much you enjoy a series and how invested you are in a series is naturally going to cloud your judgement. For me personally my votes would orbit more towards KnY/CSM/AA/JJK rather than MHA for example, which would need a very eventful chapter to earn a vote from me compared to some of these.

Then you'd also need to consider that a lot of people don't really follow the entirety of the jump lineup weekly (for example I'm pretty far behind on stone and Haikyuu, I'm not currently reading black clover and I dropped the newbies except for UU/Mitama and yozakura I'm kind of unsure about), I'm sure very few people actually read everything week to week (especially because I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I have a lot of stuff that I like outside of jump, a lot of them even more than some series on Jump's lineup for example, and you can't expect people to devote that much time just to vote in a poll).

So basically, no matter how hard you try, personal bias and popularity are always going to be a thing in these polls.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,722
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
This is me being a slowpoke, but I just noticed that Chainsawman got 4th in the last ToC.

Is this the highest Chainsawman position in a ToC ever? I don't remember it being in the top-3 never.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
This is me being a slowpoke, but I just noticed that Chainsawman got 4th in the last ToC.

Is this the highest Chainsawman position in a ToC ever? I don't remember it being in the top-3 never.
No, it was first once (also 4th a couple of times)
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,722
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
No, it was first once (also 4th a couple of times)
It was first once? I'm going to search. I never understood how Chainsawman despite having a good reception and good sales was always stuck in ToC mid-ranking, so I'm happy to see it being in the top.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
It was first once? I'm going to search. I never understood how Chainsawman despite having a good reception and good sales was always stuck in ToC mid-ranking, so I'm happy to see it being in the top.
Because Jump's TOC is about branding and creative pushes. Hence why the trio of AA/JJK/CSM are usually in the mid-tiers despite being often argued as Jump's best titles currently.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
It was first once? I'm going to search. I never understood how Chainsawman despite having a good reception and good sales was always stuck in ToC mid-ranking, so I'm happy to see it being in the top.
Yeah, I just checked and it was issue 29 2019.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
It interests me that, in the modern day, virtually all battle manga which find success in Jump have the protagonists becoming a part of an organization which they act in subordinate to. Gone are series like Dragon Ball and One Piece (which is still running, but whatever) where the protagonists are purely the organizers of their own fates.

Anyone have any speculation on why that might be the case? Especially interesting when series like TPN and Stone do do that?
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Don't know if anyone is interested, but the question of Chainsaw Man's ToC placements came up, and I did the research to see what placements it has had. It has placed 1st a single time, 4th two times, 5th two times, 6th six times, 7th seven times, 8th five times, 9th ten times, 10th five times, 11th two times, 12th two times, 13th two times, and it has had one cover/lead color page, and 11 regular color pages.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Anyone got any updates on Shoseki rankings?
For the daily ranking, the last update was on 02/28. Nothing much to say about it but KNY hasn't been able to take over the top 19 after the reprints, a lot of new volumes (Tensura, Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, Kingdom, Hoozuki no Reitetsu, Giant Killing, 37 Year Old Kindaichi Case Files and Golden Kamuy) are holding up pretty well. Also, DS's backlog seems to be holding up pretty well after the boost it received from Sekaju. Aside from that, the weekly ranking should drop either today or tomorrow, with more daily rankings coming prior. New volumes will be released on Friday, so the daily ranking should have the update with them on Saturday or Sunday.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
It interests me that, in the modern day, virtually all battle manga which find success in Jump have the protagonists becoming a part of an organization which they act in subordinate to. Gone are series like Dragon Ball and One Piece (which is still running, but whatever) where the protagonists are purely the organizers of their own fates.

Anyone have any speculation on why that might be the case? Especially interesting when series like TPN and Stone do do that?
I think you have used the wrong word here. Neither Gon nor Luffy are an "Organization" they are a band of friends who either happens to always fight the evil that comes along their way or are just on their merry way to become kings of the world and happen to fell into one adventurer after another during it. If you say decider instead of organizer then it would fit both Gon and Luffy as they decide what they do, sometimes even surprising decisions you didn't expected as a reader. An organization on the other hand is far bigger than a couple friends with the same goal in mind, it is a structure of strangers who actually do not necessarily have the same goal in mind but work together nonetheless for their own reasons, usually money for the not main characters though sometimes money is also an issue for them.
A MC building his own organization would mean a huge amount of trouble for a mangaka as not only he had to create a huge cast of characters but actually has to show how the MC could create an organization out of nothing. It is far easier to have an already established organization and have the MC and friends join it and then later explain it one by one.
If you look at KnY, BnHA, CSM, AA, WT, UU and so on you do notice that the MCs often do make decisions regarding their own fate, often against the orders/wishes of their superiors. However those MCs do need the organization for more mundane but really important stuff. You need apartments to live in, food to eat, weapons to fight, medicine to heal, information to gather and a MC usually cannot do that all on his own. In DragonBall most of that stuff simply ain't important you can sleep under the moon, food always shows up when needed, healing happens because and who needs information when you can just bash the opponent no matter what his weak point is. In OP each friend represents an entire support caste on his own with cooking, information gathering, healing, repairing and son. With KnY, BnHA, CSM, AA, WT, UU the organization is what gives the main protagonists the funds needed to gain track on their goal. Without a smith it is pretty damn hard to repair your broken sword, without an inventor you wouldn't get the equipment needed for your problem, without governmental allowance you are just an enemy of society, without an agency it is pretty impossible of becoming a star on your own, without an organization recruiting of new agents to protect earth becomes a problem and without many little people without big powers behind them the cogs of any machinery would stop working as they are the grease to keep it going, cleaning the building, healing the wounded, feeding the heroes, preparing and repairing their weaponry, inventing and testing new stuff and so on.
In Dragonball it works without such an organization because the battles are important not the mundane stuff around it. In OP it works because every character is a genius on his field, alone able to do for what normally you'd need dozen of people. For all the other series the MC is a specialist and to be a specialist you need other specialists who support you in the fields you either suck, are average or only good in but don't actually excel at, so that you are able to focus on what you do best: Usually fighting.

At least I think that's why we got so many organizations in WSJ series but that doesn't mean that the MCs don't decide their own fate while they are in it. Since the others are too far ahead I can't use their examples as spoiler but in UU for example Andy ignores the quest order the Union wants to go at and picks the hardest quest possible with the least reward and enlists the 2nd best fighter of Union to go with him against his will. You get similar stuff in KnY, BnHA, CSM, AA, WT and so on.

I forgot to wrote about TPN and Dr.Stone.
As for TPN I don't really agree with you that organization and organizer of fate or in my opinion decider of fateful decisions is actually in the same boat. For TPN the organization part got mostly skipped, like its there but it doesn't matter as much as what our MCs do after all. The sidecharacters who do the organization work after all don't get that much screentime and when they do they usually do outside of work whereas in KnY you'd see a healer usually doing their job, healing the MC and friends and thus interacting with them.
Dr. Stone however is a great example of how a MC builds up an organization. Starting with a sole MC, getting a partner, getting a 2nd partner, getting a 3rd, getting into a problematic head-off with a certain partner, recruiting new members to work for MC's goal while the new members just want other stuff like tasty food for example, beating the competition, merging with them, building plans upon plans upon greater and greater plans for which you need a leader with ambition and a clear goal and a mind for you guess it right organization. But even that MC ofc can't do anything perfectly which is why he gathers those partners and workers and specialists to help his plans bear fruits.
I think Dr. Stone is one of the best series where you watch the MC build an organization on his own starting from nothing but it does show how hard it is to enthuse readers reading it given its sales before the anime. It simply ain't that exciting to watch somebody build something from scratch for months or years than witness the epic result when it is finished.
At least I think this is why there are so few series like Dr. Stone with the premise of the MC having to build an organization of his own to support his goal when it is much easier to just give him a couple friends who miraculously can handle the whole rest without needing like 5-6 kitchen helpers or 2-3 smiths or what nor.
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
It interests me that, in the modern day, virtually all battle manga which find success in Jump have the protagonists becoming a part of an organization which they act in subordinate to. Gone are series like Dragon Ball and One Piece (which is still running, but whatever) where the protagonists are purely the organizers of their own fates.

Anyone have any speculation on why that might be the case? Especially interesting when series like TPN and Stone do do that?
It's funny you mention that, because with the most recent Super arc, EVEN Dragon Ball has now succumbed to this by officially making Goku and Vegeta space pigs.
 

Kushikime

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2019
Messages
167
Reaction score
359
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I’d really like to get to 30 messages posted so I’ll list how I felt about the chapters and try to be more active in talking

My Ranking for Issue 18

Great: KnY, My Hero, Jujutsu Kaisen, Black Clover

Good: Promised Neverland, Chainsaw Man, Yozakura Family

Average: Haikyuu, Mashle, Act-Age, Undead Unluck, Agravity Boys, Guardian of the Witch

Meh: Mitama Security

Yikes: Dr. Stone, We Never Learn, ZIPMAN
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I read Mashle only (although I'm seeing a lot of comments about KNY and MHA being super amazing and kinda makes me wanna get back into them but I'm also lazy).

Mashle was fucking great. Laughed my ass off for the majority of the chapter. Lance compliments Mash's character so well. Hope this keeps going.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
New series by Jump+ with an english title of Deadman's Undecenber (I guess it is a typo?) started today, full color.

 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,722
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
About Jumpiti, the thing that has me intrigued is how it has practically all Jump titles (except 70s because Shueisha hates to promote 70s) except Slam Dunk. Which is odd because Slam Dunk has been in all Jump 50th anniversary stuff.

New series by Jump+ with an english title of Deadman's Undecenber (I guess it is a typo?) started today, full color.


I hope Mangaplus adds it to its roster. How many J+ titles were added after SpyxFamily?
 

aneekl

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2020
Messages
56
Reaction score
112
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
New series by Jump+ with an english title of Deadman's Undecenber (I guess it is a typo?) started today, full color.

also read from left to right. What?

edit: and horizontal text. What the heck.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I hope Mangaplus adds it to its roster. How many J+ titles were added after SpyxFamily?
Vertical World, East in the the Night, 'Tis Time for Torture Princess, Dear Sa-chan, Hina Change, and Heart Gear (although only a few days after with Spy on March 29 2019 and HG on April 2 2019)
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,722
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Vertical World, East in the the Night, 'Tis Time for Torture Princess, Dear Sa-chan, Hina Change, and Heart Gear (although only a few days after with Spy on March 29 2019 and HG on April 2 2019)
After April of 2019 they didn't add any new J+ title did they?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top