Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
I've been thinking.....are all these returns a sign that Jump is getting desperate in a way? A similar thing happned when DB/SD ended where Jump started to bring back Toriyama (short serializations), Hagiwara (for monthy serializations of Bastard!!), and agreed to Togashi's demand for complete control over HxH.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I've been thinking.....are all these returns a sign that Jump is getting desperate in a way? A similar thing happned when DB/SD ended where Jump started to bring back Toriyama (short serializations), Hagiwara (for monthy serializations of Bastard!!), and agreed to Togashi's demand for complete control over HxH.
I mean, I’m pretty sure the veterans aren’t being bribed to come back from to Jump. They’re probably coming back because they have a new series they want to come back with.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I've been thinking.....are all these returns a sign that Jump is getting desperate in a way? A similar thing happned when DB/SD ended where Jump started to bring back Toriyama (short serializations), Hagiwara (for monthy serializations of Bastard!!), and agreed to Togashi's demand for complete control over HxH.
so far in 2020 this round with Yabuki and Tamura has the only 2 I would say even come close to fitting what you describe (and Tamura is very debatable considering his last series flopped). Hasegawa is the only other author to have had a mildly successful series in Jump and if they were desperately trying to get readers I doubt they'd go for the Spring Weapon author. Compare this to the big 6 series round in 2017 which alone had Tamura, Inagaki and Fujimaki as well as serializing Golem Hearts (winner of the Future Cup thing) later in the year and I don't see how 2020 looks particularly desperate.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
One thing that I'm curious about is how the distribution of covers is going to look like now that there are only 9 established series in the roster. Kimetsu no Yaiba and The Promised Neverland had a considerable amount of covers during their run so they will leave a void. Up until the end of the current serialization round we'll have a total of 28 issues in 2020 and out of those 28 issues' covers, 12 have been for new series. Unless one of the newbies explode in popularity, I don't see any of them getting covers anytime soon. Even Chainsaw Man had to wait 42 issues until it got its first cover. Maybe there'll be more My Hero Academia covers (There's been only one this year), maybe up & coming series like Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man will have more covers.​
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Stone covers, lots and lots of Stone covers. Probably more Jujutsu as well.
 

Thaed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
135
Reaction score
132
Age
33
Country
France
Nice week imo, most chapters was nice to read !

Special mention to Mashle and Moriking which were really funny ! Moriking kinda reminds me Zatchbell !
Chainsawman is still suprising and really cool to follow.
Time Paradox Ghostwriter was fine, but not as good as its first chapters, however there was one really cool page in term of drawing.

Ayakashi Triangle was interesting, a really cool art, mostly for the yokais that had cool designs ! The plot twist was kinda funny, but I don't really know where it wants to good from this point. Still, I'm looking forward to the next chapters.
 

SiMidori

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
31
Reaction score
46
Age
27
Country
Belgium
I'd say more covers for Act age, Jujutsu and Chainsawman The 2018 Trio (in terms of jump, Chainsaw is 2019 I know)
Maybe one of the newbies will have rapidly a cover : Mashle, TPGW, Yozakura, UxU... ?

Then I wonder... Do you guys know which serie got its fastest cover ?
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
I'd say more covers for Act age, Jujutsu and Chainsawman The 2018 Trio (in terms of jump, Chainsaw is 2019 I know)
Maybe one of the newbies will have rapidly a cover : Mashle, TPGW, Yozakura, UxU... ?

Then I wonder... Do you guys know which serie got its fastest cover ?
Dragon Ball got cover on chapter 7 (I guess to push it since according to Toriyama and his editor the series was unpopular at the beginning). Not sure if there's a faster one.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Dragon Ball got cover on chapter 7 (I guess to push it since according to Toriyama and his editor the series was unpopular at the beginning). Not sure if there's a faster one.
That leads me to ask: when did DB start to get popular? Pre-DBZ, I mean. Was it Tenkaichi Budokai? Or was it King Piccolo?
 

CerealKiller

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 9, 2020
Messages
23
Reaction score
71
Age
31
Country
United States
Wasn't a fan of Ayakashi. It had good drawings, but even the ending couldn't save it for me. I'll still read it for a bit more before deciding if I will drop or not.

I really liked the Undead chapter. The panels showing the UMA's powers were incredible. The boss lady was really awesome as well. The set up for the next arc is exciting and I like that the author is using a new character to join the main duo each time. I'm guessing Tati will be a tank to block Unrepair(will that even work?). Agree with everyone that the worldbuilding is amazing. Really happy that Jump started 2020 with two back-to-back sellers with huge potential to be mainstays.

Chainsaw was really good again even though this is like the third SOL chapter in a row. Hopefully the ending reveal doesn't come out to be true, but if it does, it will be sad and terrifying at the same time. We're definitely getting into the main defining arc for the series in the first 100 or so chapters. Whatever is coming is going to be incredible.

Neverland ending was really meh for me. I would've rather it ended how it did in the previous chapter. A sad, heartbreaking ending would have made the series more memorable for me. Not much else to say, but hopefully the writer and artist get another chance. Maybe their next work will be better overall, even if the start won't match up to Neverland.

Jujutsu chapter was just straight up one sided slaughter. I expected that to happen though, otherwise it would've been disappointing if Papa got tanked. Wonder if the next chapter will move on to another battle or if we'll get a confrontation with Megumi. Honestly, I want to see a battle with the volcano head. He hasn't done much compared to the other three in the group.

HeroAca was really good this week. Got chills when Hori did the fakeout towards the end with Izuku and Bakugo crumbling. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but it was a good visual display of fear and power. Break next week, but the next chapter seems to be out on an early issue(Friday).

Mashle was mostly action chapter, but it was still exciting. The wheel dude is actually funny with his whole "stating the obvious" quirk. I actually like characters like that. Siscon dude is great, my favorite side character. Seems like an underwater battle next week. I hope Mash will make a joke about the shark guy not being in Orca dorm.

Ghost Writer: Hopefully this chapter is the start of the MC changing and starting his own path. Still feeling the series and hope it can last. And yeah, Aino is kinda carrying the series, but I don't dislike any of the others so far.

Bone: Caught up last week and I don't think it's the worst in the line up. For me, it's very entertaining and the art isn't that bad. It's a simple style that is recognizable and I personally like that compared to nice looking, but generic art. Still have suspicion that it will be cancelled in favor of Ayakashi though. Same deal with Boze and Jujutsu back two years ago where they released two exorcist manga in two consecutive batches, but the first was axed in favor of the second.

Excited for Magu next week. I'd prefer if the direction is different from the one shot, which seems like a gag. Roboko is a gag, so is Nakano doing two in one batch? Didn't read the Undead one shot, but I heard it's different from the actual series. Hope that's the case with Magu. We'll get confirmation in 2-3 days if Witch is axed(most likely) and if another has to go, I'm guessing Mitama after.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
That leads me to ask: when did DB start to get popular? Pre-DBZ, I mean. Was it Tenkaichi Budokai? Or was it King Piccolo?
Tournament arc IIRC.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
I got a question: What are the sales in America in english for each series? I heard MHA has 5 million in circulation.
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
Ayakashi was pretty good, I kinda expected that from a veteran. Am actually more excited for next week's Magu-chan
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
JUMP FORCE THE MOVIE
I would already be thrilled with Super Jump Heroes the Promotional Anime.

(That should be possible, right? Would draw a lot of attention for sure.)

AT: I liked it, sure a Ninja Exorcist is a bit much in my opinion (like what's next? A Ninja Knight Exorcist Mage? XD)
They should just have called it Teenage Mutant Ninja Exorcirsts.

Also isn't it interesting how a cool battlesuit for a guy can suddenly become a sexy one for a girl? I guess we might be able to add Magical Girl to the whole Ninja Exorcist thingie. XD
Alright, Teenage Mutant Magical Girl Ninja Exorcists.

Or just That Day I Was Fighting Demons As A Ninja And Got Turned Into A Magical Girl (because who needs descriptions when you have a title, amirite, Japan?).

Moriking: Awww, Shoko being so worried about Oka was adorable and then seeing Oka happily nomming a Shota was so funny. Okay it sounded more wrong than it actually looked like but still. XD
Am I the only one who thinks Shota (the boy) is the creepiest character on the show? He was all over that cockroach (physically!) before Moriking could even get a word in.

TPG: You didn't stole it "from the world", you stole it from her. And I still think you should tell her. Also I am not sure I like this well "excuse" of telling the story "his own way" just by using his own art when he is still copying the story one line by line. He basically is the artist with the future Akino being the writer just nobody will ever know... and that really doesn't feel right, especially with the real Akino being there, admiring Teppei so much for his work when in truth it is hers.
And he had the perfect opportunity to tell her, too...

I'm honestly not sure if he's supposed to be the hero or the villain at this point.

M:YF: God, I hate how Taiyo is becoming more and more like a less creepy version of the big brother! You're on a date with the girl you love who is stupidly heads over heels into you! ENJOY IT FOR FUCKS SAKE! THERE ARE NO BOMBS; ASSASSINS, POISON; KNIVES; ETC!!! Ugh........... I want more family time and less creep Taiyo time please....
To be fair, there WAS a stalker.

I imagine that hampers the enjoyment a bit.

5. Ghostwriter - I'm sorta getting tired of this going back and forth, tbh. Lets hope the next chapter gets more interesting. I want more time travel stuff to kick in. I don't want it to be a one time thing. But lets see.
I'm now all in with Time Paradox Ghostwriter. I think it's a very unique and compelling character study i would not have expected from a Jump manga. I really appreciate how focused it is too, but I guess that can kill the whole thing too if you arent open to the concept or attached to this kind of protagonist already. I hope the time travelling will come back to the forefront with some more complexity, otherwise it's going to become stale. I'm also sensing a dark twist coming, Aino's closeup smiles are giving me bad vibes!
Agreed. Character development is good and well, but it feels like the series is treading water here. I don't know if we'll be seeing any more time travelling soon, but something needs to happen or this will be falling into the same trap as GotW.

Next week is a longer chapter, right? Let's hope we'll be getting some plot progress then.

(This would be less of a problem with binge reading, I suppose, but a new series like this can't afford to wait for that.)

That leads me to ask: when did DB start to get popular? Pre-DBZ, I mean. Was it Tenkaichi Budokai? Or was it King Piccolo?
The first fighting tournament (arc).

Though it was never really unpopular (the editors were already pushing him to continue the story, after all). It just wasn't a huge success yet.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Looking at the next three serializations, I feel as if my interest will wane with each new one. God of Destruction Magu-Chan looks like it could be fun, but I’m not sure about Shaketsu no Niraikanai, and I’m not really getting anything out of Me and Roboko.

They’re all too early to tell at the moment, though, so who knows? Wasn’t too interested in Ayakashi till I learned more about it.
 
Last edited:

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
That UU plot did not go as I expected. Anyone got any theories why Victor already knew about days of the week several chapters ago?
There is a good theory about that on a, you can read it on the UU thread here in this forum, I think it makes a lot of sense.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
New Mitama spirits design competition, lasts until July 15, and the results will be published in Volume 4 (and not in the magazine like the first time). Hmmm...
So it's going to live after all?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Looking at the next three serializations, I feel as if my interest will wane with each new one. God of Destruction Magu-Chan looks like it could be fun, but I’m not sure about Shaketsu no Niraikanai, and I’m not really getting anything out of Me and Roboko.

They’re all too early to tell at the moment, though, so who knows? Wasn’t too interested in Ayakashi till I learned more about it.
Considering Undead was actively disliked before it started, nobody had any expectations for Mashle, and Guardian was the series that had a lot of people excited, we don't really know what to expect until we read the first chapters. Maybe Roboko will defy the lack of expectations and turn out great like Mashle has. The only thing that concerns me is there's just so many new series right now that I'm wondering if people might get tired of them all and just stick to established favourites.

So far Undead and Mashle are the only two that are definitely doing well, and if WNL and Haikyuu both end, they'll just be keeping the list of hits the same. We need at least 6 hits to build things up at least a bit closer to normal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top