Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,503
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
Hardboiled & Dolphin really should have had the Dolphin cop in the promotional art with the Hardboiled cop instead of putting the child there. At least that would've stopped people from saying "Is this Beelzebub again? ROFL"
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Wasn't particularly impressed with Cop and Dolphin but I'm glad Tamura seems to have proper plans this time at least. Hungry Marie's really specific premise left it nowhere to go so it had to shove in a bunch of random unrelated stuff to have any story past ch 3.

This one however has plenty of potential in the setting between the talking animals, mysterious cult, and general cop drama/parody stuff.
 

TheRealTravisty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2020
Messages
731
Reaction score
1,324
Age
39
Country
Canada
Hmmm....so my top 5 this week looks like this:

1. Magu-chan
I loved the dynamic between the three characters. Magu continues to be hilarious.
2. Time Paradox Ghostwriter
This chapter saved the series for me. I have to admit that plagiarism was an issue for me.
3. Moriking
I like the butterfly’s design. Actually, I think I’ve liked every design so far.
4. Undead Unluck
Just a nice chapter overall.
5. We Never Learn
Heartbreaking. I really want to see what happens next. This is so much better than the Rizu route.

I don’t know, it’s weird. I hate leaks and I don’t look at spoilers, but the hype for TPGW worked out, while I ended up feeling nothing for Chainsawman. Not as much as I would’ve thought, anyway.

Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin threw me for a loop, I have to admit. I’m not sure if using the little girl in the promotion was genius or not, but I was happy to be surprised. This first chapter was alright, I’ll wait for more.

Magu-chan and Moriking continue to surprise me but how funny they are. I hope they stick around for a long time!

As someone who enjoyed Black Cat back in the day, Ayakashi Triangle disappoints me. The character design and artwork are amazing as always, but the actual content is pretty boring.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
In Crunchyroll's God of High School premiere about 9 minutes in (once VOD is up idk if you can see now unless you were already watching) the composer mentioned being invited to God of High School by Park after working together on Jujutsu Kaisen. I'd assume this means it was at least started before God of High School which if anything like Tower of God is already complete so hopefully the worries of it being a rush job are gone
edit: he just confirmed work on GoHS is done. Also always refers to JJK in past tense so I assume at least composing is done.

 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,503
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #30 - BOTH WAYS OF VOTING!​

The poll for issue #30 is now open HERE!

This week we don't have extra series to vote besides the release of Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin, new series from Tamura Ryuhei!

Good votes.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Undead unluck- So now we got a cool villain group for undead unluck. I really am excited as I do love the creativity the author puts into action scenes. I can see the next chapter being an incredible one.
The villain group is like a mix of Magneto and the Chaos Insurgency Hub, at least it fits their opposing theme to the Union.
I found the Orca transportation interesting, either the Orcs is a Negator/UMA itself named Kain or the huge guy is Kain and he can control such animals with his negation power somehow. Latla seems to be similar to Fuuko, like she predicts what is most likely to happen which reverse the situation whereas Fuuko just brings the most unluckiest event to whoever she touches. No idea what Fang can do but it must suck to be him with everyone around him talking english and he has no translator-tie like the Union members. I do not see Unseen anywhere though yeah that is like his whole purpose - to not been seen.^^
 

Melvo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2020
Messages
77
Reaction score
190
Country
Spain
Really liked Hard Boiled Cop, Missed Tamura so much !

TPGW is definitely not for me.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Chainsaw Man does feel like it’s ready to enter the endgame, like bruh this feels like a point of no return. Mashle with a sweet set up chapter, with both jokes and plot. Act age also has an interesting set up, loving the dynamics between the trio.

Undead having a cool set up right now with the new characters, Moriking is nice, and Ghost Writer throwing a curve ball at us, so nice to implement the time traveling aspect again.

Magu-Chan was fun again, seems like the author knows what he wants to do with the series. Ayakashi can crack up some funny moments here and there, but hope we get into more meat of the story.
 

Pudazuka

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2020
Messages
62
Reaction score
163
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin was a good read. The first chapter laid a solid foundation with a good amount of potential so I'm looking forward to chapter two. The title really throws me off though. Like, it's a fitting title if you think about it but it still sounds SO weird.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
No endings or breaks... So, we really will be having 22 chapters next week? Is that something that happens a lot?


Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin: Again, only in English.

- You got that backwards. According to most recent estimates, ~80% of all species live on land.
- Sing a song? Really? Well, I guess at least they're not shooting him...
- I spoke too soon.

- Oh yes, this is giving a great impression of the police. "Whatever you do, I'm going to violate you, because I like it!" is what they're supposed to say, right?
- He's not even a smart and suave cop like in the movies, he just comes across as a bumbling idiot.
- I take back what I said about giving a great impression of the police. Go, chief.
- He kind of reminds me of Kogoro from Detective Conan. But nice atmospere there.
- Thank you for not (openly) acting like a pervert.
- This is getting interesting.
- Yeah, global warming will do that.
- These puns are painful.
- Is that a mask or..?
- A mental case in a mask. I take back what I said about taking back what I said about the police.
- According to what I could find, filming a cop IS legal in Japan (though throwing the video online might not be). So now we have gone from teaching kids wrong biology facts to misinforming them about what their legal rights are.
- And once again it gets subverted...
- ... And then things go completely off the rails. I totally wouldn't blame Viz for never mentioning this manga in their communications now. The two main characters - if they were real - are a perfect example of everything that's wrong with the police, and aside from some token complaints they never really get punished for it.

Which is a shame, because the storytelling and art are both pretty high quality. I enjoyed the first part, especially the bits on the boat and in the car, and the premise about the girl definitely got my interest. But that last scene would've left me with questions even before recent events (it's impossible to predict what a car with two burst tires will do, what if it had hit another family instead?), and the story's constant shifting between real information and police misdemeanor kinda makes me worry about what kids will take away from this.

Also... anyone else feel kinda cheated? The description and the cover picture/thumbnail led us to believe this was gonna be a story about a hardened cop learning to get along with a (feral) young sea girl, and the first half of the chapter seemed to confirm this. But then it turns out the 'dolphin' in the title actually refers to his cop buddy, and the girl is a totally ordinary kid and barely more than a prop in the story... so why is she the biggest character in the picture...?

(At first, I thought the girl could only talk to dolphins, and the guy was wearing a mask to make her feel more at home. I still think that would've been more interesting.)


Magu-chan: ... I'm sorry, but that colour page looks ugly to me. And the story is really cliche. One of my least favourite newbies.

Time Paradox: So the first six chapters were basically an extended epilogue? If they had started with this, it would've made a lot more sense why he was apprehensive about telling her.

Dr Stone's chapter was nice by itself, but placing it here disrupts the pace of the main story.

Ayakashi is getting a delayed Spanish release after all. It'll be caught up by next week. Makes you wonder why they didn't just release it from the start.

And no panty shots this week. Mostly for lack of panties, but still. This actually bothered me less because it felt more like a natural part of the story.

Can't say I like the idea of keeping a man-eating pervert as a constant companion though.

Moriking has the most hardcore butterfly I've ever seen (in appearance, at least).

Mashle is in full story mode now.

UU: Wait, Shen speaks English, right? Either way, they didn't waste any time starting this arc.

Agravity Boys: ... Is this a PSA? It feels like one of those special episodes where they tell you not to do drugs.


Like this?
Now the name 'big 3' makes more sense to me.

There have been other series that were (more) popular for a while, but no group has been hogging the spotlight as long and as consistently as those three (not counting One Piece and Kimetsu at the very end there).
 

Gilroygladbouy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 20, 2019
Messages
48
Reaction score
70
Age
31
Country
Canada
Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin (god such a weird name to say) I thought was ok. The jokes were decent, characters were sort of interesting, and the story... well ill have to wait and see because I don’t really understand it right now. Overall, i thought it was better than Ayakashi but worse than Magu Chan. Speaking of which I still find Ayakashi to be quite mediocre. Don’t think I’ll be sticking with it for much longer, but I enjoyed the second chapter of Magu Chan. Also, MHA, JJK, CSM and TPGW all had some incredible chapters.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
HC&D had a very problematic first chapter. NeenNeen went over those issues I had so I don't feel like reiterating them. They left a very sour taste in my mouth. Really think Viz should have waited on this one.
With that said, I do feel like if the series moves on from the cop focus and the juvenile boobs gags I might like it a lot. Similar to UxU the first chapter was pretty offensive, yet managed to shed those problematic elements as the series progressively found its own voice.
However if it gets cancelled, I probably won't mourn for it. Series is a victim of terrible timing, however some of these jokes would be offensive regardless.
 
Last edited:

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm still not sure where Hardboiled Cop is going. I mean, the first few pages seem to be criticizing a certain notion of policing, one that feels heavily inspired in western media. The MC is kinda stupid in how he acts and he's treated so. However, the ending is... exactly the kind of bullshit the series made fun of in the first half, but apparently that's fine? I'm honestly not sure what the tone is going to be, but I hope it's closer to the beginning.

The rest of the chapter was... fine? Not amazing, and a few good jokes here and there, but nothing really stood out. It flows well and it's not tiresome to read, but it didn't really do anything that interesting story-wise. I liked the page with the dolphin revelation, though.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Also, did anyone notice Fuuko had six toes on one of her feet? Wonder if that's canon or an art mixup.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
My guess for Cop and Dolphin is it'll start off with them solving various minor crimes around the island in gag-action episodic antics and, if it doesn't get cancelled, it'll introduce the cult for more serious arcs and become a battle shounen fighting them.

There's definitely a lot more potential to expand the setting than Hungry Marie anyway.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
My guess given the specific numbers of Cult members and given that the girl was saved by the dolphin is that we will probably have some sort of "underwater society" ala Atlantis thus the whole 95% of our aqua fauna is unknown. Basically the cult members all became water creature/human mixes so that our cop duo got some people to fight and against which they can use guns at because you know cop rules don't apply to monsters. And the girl is really important due her powers to them (like maybe she is the reason those hybrids exist in the first place) so they want her back which ofc our cop duo cannot allow to happen. And then ofc the "prophency" which will be like the final final and has somehow to be avoided using the girl and all the aqua hybrid friends they made along the way. So I expect a mermaid beauty and a delinquent crab and a pervert fish and so on hybrid in future chapters.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Hardboiled is gonna be a great ride if it lasts. The first chapter was great. I can't wait to see what Ryihei has got planned for us in future 😋
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Again, I think Hardboiled is fine, but man, was this the worst time for a manga like this to come out. I suppose it wouldn't matter as much anyway, since I dont think manga readers make too much of a fuss about these things. And I don't blame anybody here since nobody predicted current events, but... yeah. I want to like this one, and there's fun stuff, but we'll have to see. I'm hoping it goes for the more heartwarming angle over time.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wonder how far ahead they had it planned. There's some clear references to the current issues but I'd imagine it's been planned for a while and maybe he just changed some bits to match current events a little more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top