Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,514
Reaction score
39,588
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Roacher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
116
Reaction score
138
Country
Poland
I hate the contrived ways mangaka try so hard to create situations involving boobs. A recent example would be in Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin, where the girl's boobs just expose themselves for no reason at all.
Fanservice is annoying but fanservice is profitable espacially with boys and let's be honest boys are horny. Besides boobie fanservice it's not Jump 'problem' but whole industry. I think Jump it's quite tame compare to some others shonen magazines with often have half naked idols covers and easy can be mistaken with porn mags.

1. Female characters being irrelevant in battle shonen. Come on, there's a significant female audience reading your work. Make sure they're represented, man! You can have female characters kick ass and just be cool. It can seriously help. Modern shonen are a bit better about this, but only a bit. Black Clover's the best in this regard, IMO.
If I'm not mistake shoujo/josei/otome aimed at girls have 'problem' with weak heroines too. Moreover Jump always underlines that is boys magazine even if 20% readers are girls from 2014 data, with I think this girls ratio is better than most of others shonen mags. Thankfully series with relevant girls like TPN and AA are succesfull with magazine target demographic so hope we will get more.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Updated Jump roster. Makes you think.

It's really strange when you see it laid out like that. I remember when We Never Learn started (I haven't been following WSJ for all that long) and now it's the fourth-oldest actively-running series. Even stranger than that is realizing that Yozakura and Mitama are technically both on the older half of the TOC. That's the hardest part about it to believe.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,718
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
2020 unironically can be the best year in all Jump history regarding survivors. For the moment the record is in 2004 with 5 hits (Death Note, D.Grayman, Reborn, Gintama, Muhyo to Roji).

From 2020 I can see surviving: Mashle, Undead Unluck, Ayakashi Triangle, Moriking, Magu-chan, Cop and Dolphin/Agravity Boys, and TPGW (I am starting to have some doubts there though). That would be 7 survivors.

If they manage to become hits or not is another question
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
From 2020 I can see surviving: Mashle, Undead Unluck, Ayakashi Triangle, Moriking, Magu-chan, Cop and Dolphin/Agravity Boys, and TPGW (I am starting to have some doubts there though). That would be 7 survivors.
I love your positiv-ity.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah, Mashle is still the only one who has crossed the "survival" line and is a possible hit. Still waiting for volume 2 sales, though. Undead Unluck is almost there, but not quite yet. The rest I still consider as axe candidates until they rise in sales or their debut volumes do well.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
2020 unironically can be the best year in all Jump history regarding survivors. For the moment the record is in 2004 with 5 hits (Death Note, D.Grayman, Reborn, Gintama, Muhyo to Roji).

From 2020 I can see surviving: Mashle, Undead Unluck, Ayakashi Triangle, Moriking, Magu-chan, Cop and Dolphin/Agravity Boys, and TPGW (I am starting to have some doubts there though). That would be 7 survivors.

If they manage to become hits or not is another question
You're counting out the bird already? Never count out the bird, Mitama survived far longer than we all thought it would considering its sales so far. It might survive us all. XD

Right now Mashle is the only one I see as a definite hit. The others are still on a mayb/maybe not line
Surviving ain't the same as being a hit. I also don't think thought that in 2021 we will have 7 survivors from last year though. Maybe 5-6 in total. Plus we might still get some new series in the coming months before the WSJ 2021 year in December begins. They might get into 2021 by default as long as they don't get axed into the U19 club.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also in 2021 we might get the new series replacing the series from 2020 who failed to get from being a survivor to a hit. So those two years might form for a long time many new long running series in Jump, like for the next 5 years or so.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Updated Jump roster. Makes you think.

It's really crazy when you look at past years with Kochikame, Bleach, Naruto, Gintama, etc. Now only One Piece is that old. Not even the manga that began on the beginning of the 2010s are there. Crazy.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Right now Mashle is the only one I see as a definite hit. The others are still on a mayb/maybe not line
I see UndeadxUnlucky as well. I hope that Agravity, Robobo and Magu-chan survive though (alredy accepted that Mitama will be cancelled)
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
It's really crazy when you look at past years with Kochikame, Bleach, Naruto, Gintama, etc. Now only One Piece is that old. Not even the manga that began on the beginning of the 2010s are there. Crazy.
I think it feels crazy because we were used to so many long running series for such a long time. But this actually isn't the first time that Jump went through a process like this. In 1999, the situation looked very similar to the way it looks now. One issue after Naruto started, in issue 44 1999, there were only 7 manga above 100 chapters (I"s was absent in that issue), which is the same amount of manga above 100 chapters that Jump has currently left after Haikyuu is gone. The second oldest series in Jump at that time behind Kochikame was Hoshin Engi with just 156 chapters, because Rurouni Kenshin had just ended in issue 43. Though Jump also had way more upcoming manga at the time that were somewhat close to 100 chapters.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
The third episode of Kaiju No. 8 came out and it’s honestly disheartening to see a good number of people turn on the manga a bit. Only been 3 chapters. I liked it, though I do wish we got to see a little more of what happens in the 3-month timeskip. Comedy was good as well. I don’t doubt that the manga will still be interesting, even if the chapter was standard right now.

I know it’s important to come out swinging, but...shit like this is part of the reason why I tend to not like reading weekly. Or maybe I’m just too optimistic.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,338
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Since Haikyuu's ending and there'll be no more sports manga ongoing, how long does everyone think it'll be until we get a new one? And a follow-up question how long will it be until we get one that's a hit?

I'll be surprised if there's no new sports manga in the next proper batch, but it wouldn't surprise me if it took a year or two to get a new successful one. Though I expect whatever's next will get to run for a while just as long as it's not a total flop.

I've been reading Switch from Sunday and it feels like a Jump manga more than a Sunday one to me. Makes me wonder if it was one of those series pitched to WSJ at first but got rejected, especially if it's by a Furudate assistant (maybe because it's basketball so soon after Kuroko).
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've been reading Switch from Sunday and it feels like a Jump manga more than a Sunday one to m
whats that even mean?

Since Haikyuu's ending and there'll be no more sports manga ongoing, how long does everyone think it'll be until we get a new one? And a follow-up question how long will it be until we get one that's a hit?
maybe an exorcism sports hybrid since its mostly what we get., could be cool.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I still stand by if I was making a sports manga and saw Jump hadn't launched a successful one since 2014 (2012 if you want above the 30K club) meanwhile other magazines (weekly, monthly, shonen, seinen, shojo, whatever) have had multiple successes I'd go elsewhere. A 20 volume series in Shonen Sunday is probably more profitable than a 3 volume series in Jump and you don't need to pour blood sweat and tears into a new series less than a year after you just did.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top