Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Blood oath is one of those manga where I need a few chapters in to fully judge it. Kind of which it was more true to the oneshot but it still has a lot of potential to be the next big dark fantasy manga but it can also turn out to be just as bad as GTWO. This chainsawman chapter was absolutely phenomenal, the world building and twist that this manga have are clearly well thought out. The recent reval kind of reminds me of UU’s world building style. JJK is about to start an epic fight which always are amazing, and Ayakashi triangle is making the manga plus comment section lose there minds. The recent chapters of dr stone have been pure hype.
 

KagamiKuroko

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2020
Messages
1,079
Reaction score
2,032
Age
26
Country
United States
Not really feeling any of the 3 newbies so far
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
4,784
Country
Dragonstone
when you have 8 comedy sleeves being public at once and even worse, because many have repeated jokes.
This is all again about different definitions, I feel like. Currently, the way I see the series, we have 5 pure comedy series in the manga (Agravity, HSF, Magu-chan, Roboco and Moriking). I feel like I can read these series and feel less tired and bored than just reading Phantom Seer & Our Blood Oath. Personally, ofc.
 

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,264
Reaction score
1,970
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
BtW 2nd chapter is non longer available at mangaplus here. Anyone else?
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Undead is trending on Japan twitter, top 7

アンデッド is the tag
I can see why. The twist in this manga was amazing. In general the first arc was great and if made by the right people it would make a incredible season 1.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I might be blind but i dont see the tag in the list anymore.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
This is all again about different definitions, I feel like. Currently, the way I see the series, we have 5 pure comedy series in the manga (Agravity, HSF, Magu-chan, Roboco and Moriking). I feel like I can read these series and feel less tired and bored than just reading Phantom Seer & Our Blood Oath. Personally, ofc.
If it were just those 5 comedies ok, but unfortunately that is not the case.
I don't hate any of them but they came at the wrong time.

You talk about 5 exorcist manga but technically there are 4, I hardly consider Ayakashi and I doubt that all 4 will remain for a long time.
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Not really feeling any of the 3 newbies so far
Yeah I know, it sucks because it was my most anticipated one this year for the soul fact that it wasn’t just a bunch of gag or comedy manga. Definitely felt underwhelmed with phantom seer, hate that it isn’t going the horror route and just going the monster of the week action comedy route as if it did the former it would have definitely separated itself from the croud.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
4,784
Country
Dragonstone
You talk about 5 exorcist manga
It said it felt like the 5th such opening chapter, not that it was actually the fifth. I didn't count beforehand, it was a number to illustrate how samey this stuff felt to me while reading Our Blood Oath.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Reading Burn The Witch makes it feel like it’s written with the intent to be a full serialization. Kubo seemed to put a lot of detail into its lore and world building. (Now we know it’s gonna be at least a little bit longer)

I feel like for that reason it feels a little weirdly paced. I could imagine some of the things in this 4 chapter run happening over the course of 20-30 chapters or so had this been a normal series. But for a 4 chapter series(so far) I do think it’s paced a lot better than a good amount of newbies in their first 7 chapters. I’m looking forward to seeing it continue
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
It said it felt like the 5th such opening chapter, not that it was actually the fifth. I didn't count beforehand, it was a number to illustrate how samey this stuff felt to me while reading Our Blood Oath.
Well, bokura and phantom seer have a lot of difference between them.

I can't say the same for Moriking, Magu chan and Roboko who have the same plot and premise. So much so that I think that is why Moriking sales were bad, since there are 2 more manga in the jump.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,722
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Time for my weekly Jump review. Firstly, I miss the My Hero Academia chapter so much. Can't wait to next week.

To the newbies, Our Blood Bath gave me the vibes of the usual decent Jump manga that ends U-19'd, but this time with material for fujos. It remembered me a lot to Higuma in plot and execution tbh. Kokosei Kazoku continues being fun. Honomieru Shonen is giving some decent vibes but also some "this smells to U19 vibes". I'd still say just by the plot and execution Honomieru Shonen looks better than Our Blood Bath.

And to the not-so newbies and veterans. Undead Unluck has had a very amazing chapter that develops nice what's going to happen now in the manga. Chainsawman is crazy as usual. Jujutsu Kaisen shows again is the manga with the best battle coreographies of the entire Jump roster. Burn the Witch was eh for me, but I've really liked this chapter and some ideas Kubo has added. Ayakashi Triangle also had a very good chapter, adding new stuff that's going to be important in the future. Cop and Dolphin has had a good chapter too, but I still see it one of the weaker manga in the roster, dunno. And Yozakura Family has had it most adorable chapter so far.

My ranking this week would be:

Undead Unluck
Jujutsu Kaisen
Burn the Witch
Ayakashi Triangle
Mission of Yozakura Family
Chainsawman
Dr.Stone
One Piece
We Never Learn
Mashle
Magu-chan
Cop and Dolphin
Kokosei Kazoku
Black Clover
Honomieru Shonen
Our Blood Oath
Agravity Boys
Moriking
Me and Roboco
 
Last edited:

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura was ok this week, I liked the Taiyo and Mutsumi stuff but the cooking gag was painfully unfunny

Agravity was fine, didn't really laugh but I liked the information about the planet. It's baseball arc time

Undead was incredible, and a perfect example of why the series is so good. Loved the lore and the twists

Mashle was alright, didn't really care for much of it but didn't really dislike it either

Morking was alright, better than the past few chapters but still feels kinda stagnant

Ayakashi was pretty good, finally feels like we have some plot and interesting set up

Magu was pretty good as well, pretty decent gags overall

Dolphin was pretty good too, solid action and I really liked the gag with the car

Roboco was great, probably my favorite so far. Gachigorilla surprisingly was able to carry the chapter mostly by himself, and the TPN live action gag was great

BtW was really good, I loved the lore set up and it had some really solid spreads. Can't wait for it's return

Phantom was alright, felt a little too similar to the past 2 chapters but it introduced a new character and set up some important lore regarding the siblings, so I'm fine with it

HSF was pretty good too, I fear the premise could get stale but if it keeps up short 11 page chapters I could see myself enjoying it

I wasn't really impressed with Blood Oath, felt like a pretty standard exorcist series. Paneling felt a little cramped at times too. I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm not really sold yet, and even less so than on Phantom Seer

JJK and WNL were great this week, and I don't even know what to think for CSM anymore.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Personally I’m still really enjoying Phantom Seer. The art is still really on point. cool character designs. And out of all the recent exorcist series I like the designs of the creatures in this one the best. Also think the 2 mains have good chemistry
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,442
Reaction score
3,619
Age
26
Country
United States
I enjoyed Blood Oath but would've preferred it had stayed closer to the oneshot, this felt very "standard exorcist fare but with vampries" but I think the art is good and I like the brothers so I have hopes that they can turn this around in the following chapters. Overall kinda of a decent batch. Burn the Witch I'm excited to see where it goes, hope "season 2" is in early 2021 and we don't have to wait to long. Roboco has probably become my favorite from it's batch right now, this chapter was really funny. Ayakashi also had a really solid chapter. Alright issue all around this week.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Also, weird that English Jump said nothing about Burn The Witch season 2
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Personally I’m still really enjoying Phantom Seer. The art is still really on point. cool character designs. And out of all the recent exorcist series I like the designs of the creatures in this one the best. Also think the 2 mains have good chemistry
I don't really understand why people didn't find the fact that the MC was able to summon a monster he defeated previously interesting. So far he's going more towards terror than Battleshonen, and I see it as positive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top