Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,503
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I was surprised, I didn't expect Tamura to put on a drama chapter.
 

Rukasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2016
Messages
352
Reaction score
1,331
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Anyone else feels like this is the best Jump in a looong time? Practically every series delivered great chapters, even the ones like C&D Magu-chan and Agravity which tend to be really hit or miss for me were extremely good.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I keep thinking Our Blood Oath is actually trying something narrative-wise, there's, i don't know, something worthwhile there. But the author is incapable of making a well-constructed chapter, it's kinda impressive how amauterish it feels.

Overall, didn't really like this week much. The newbies kept being mostly uninteresting to me (even Magu-chan wasn't that good), and of the estabilished series, wel... Chainsawman doesn't really hit that hard with these constant high-octane action scenes. I actually enjoy the small moments way more. and it's starting to feel a little bit repetitive, imo. Boku no Hero had a nice ending, but otherwise, meh. Mashle and Dr Stone were okay. Jujutsu was amazing.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Today is a holy day for Shonen Jump fans of 80s:


HnK started airing in ‘84.... the same year DB debuted in Jump, and not too long after that, SS debuted as well. Wow. I never realized how close the “Founding Fathers of Shonen” ran within each other. I always figured they had a 5+ year of difference between them.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,548
Reaction score
15,709
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
HnK started airing in ‘84.... the same year DB debuted in Jump, and not too long after that, SS debuted as well. Wow. I never realized how close the “Founding Fathers of Shonen” ran within each other. I always figured they had a 5+ year of difference between them.
Yeah, Hokuto no Ken is from 1983, Dragon Ball from 1984, City Hunter and Sakigake Otokojuku from 1985, and Saint Seiya from 1986. Stretching a little more, Captain Tsubasa is from 1981 and JoJo from 1987.
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,889
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
The Jujutsu Kaisen chapter was fantastic and even if Nobara ends up just being scarred rather than killed, it's one hell of a chapter; I thought it would be my favourite of the week until I read Chainsaw Man and that scene with the heart happened - so bonkers, love it. Me & Roboco was hilarious once again, every gag made me laugh - it's quickly becoming one of my favourites of the entire magazine (never thought I'd have said this when I first saw it's preview). Phantom Seer's extended chapter gave us some stellar full page spreads, really happy with the direction it's going by fleshing out the world of the Shamans more. I wish I could say I loved My Hero Academia as much as I usually do, this chapter just didn't do it for me.

Mashle, Black Clover, and Undead Unluck delivered about the same content as I expected from last week, all fairly enjoyable. Our Blood Oath, while never boring, is showing yet more flaws. The narrative whiplash in this chapter alone makes every development feel amateurish, and when you compare it with the sequence of events in the chapters preceding it, it makes it seem even worse. While it's not my least favourite to read each week, it has to be one of the more badly made series in the magazine right now. I don't think the oneshot it spawned from was fully realised as a series yet, and it feels too late to fix that.

There were quite a few disappointments this week, but mainly Mission: Yozakura Family, which went from perhaps my favourite chapter of the series to easily my least favourite of the series - I get that's it's a fan contest and everything is crammed into this one-off story, but this was absolutely nothing, total filler, badly paced, and pandering in the most annoying way. Wish it were a side chapter that wasn't part of the actual story's canon. At least Magu-chan was pretty cute this week - I think Kei Kamiki excels most when it comes to cute animals and non-human characters.

My ranking of the chapters compared to last week:
  1. (+1) Chainsaw Man
  2. (+4) Jujutsu Kaisen
  3. ( - ) Me & Roboco
  4. ( - ) Phantom Seer
  5. ( - ) We Never Learn
  6. (-5) My Hero Academia
  7. ( - ) Mashle
  8. ( - ) Black Clover
  9. (+1) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku
  10. (-1) Undead Unluck
  11. ( - ) Agravity Boys
  12. (+1) Dr. STONE
  13. (+1) Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin
  14. (+1) Our Blood Oath
  15. (+1) Moriking
  16. (+2) Magu-chan: God of Destruction
  17. (-5) Mission: Yozakura Family
  18. ( - ) Ayakashi Triangle
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's odd to think that Magu-chan and Cop and Dolphin are already at the amount of chapters Bone Collection and Ghost Writer got cancelled at.

Plus it seems unlikely anything besides Moriking will get cancelled before next year at this point since even Agravity Boys is getting a colour page.
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
623
Reaction score
1,696
Age
40
Country
Italy
1. Jujutsu Kaisen - Once again, chapter of the week. Yuji won't take this well (but I think there's still some hope).
2. Undead Unluck - Basically, this chapter confirmed many fan theories, but also added more to the plate. Now I want the new quests to begin, though.
3. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - "Sad tale about an episodic pet: part one". The best executed, expecially because of how the presumed God of Destruction cared about the puppy. Now I feel that the color page is well deserved.
4. Me & Roboco - I'm shocked that this climbed so high to reach the 4th position of my ranking. Funny, cute and with some good character development. Way more than what you should ask from a gag series.
5. Black Clover - This is one of those episodes that would hit me more if I didn't start to read the manga at chapter 200. My next binge should probably be starting this from scratch.
6. Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin - "Sad tale about an episodic pet: part two". Not as good as Magu, but well delivered anyway. Despite that, I feel that we need less episodic stories and more story arcs or even mini-arcs to appreciate a narrative.
7. My Hero Academia - Actually I don't have much to say here. I feel that something important is going on, but these inner world discussions never get me so much. The anticipated shift of focus is interesting though.
8. Chainsaw Man - Pure action chapter, at least I feel authorized to get confused this time.
9. Our Blood Oath - Still not very fond of this, but at least I liked it enough to care about the blonde guy's actions. But still not enough to remember his name.
10. Mashle - I have a problem with it now. The humour doesn't get me at a point that I don't even realize there's any. The serious parts bore me at a point that I am longing for more humour (that I don't realize there already is). Maybe what I need is the start of a fresh new arc.
11. Ayakashi Triangle - The shadowy figure at the end is everything that saves this chapter from hitting rock-bottom (I always like to think that the real fight is for my own rankings).
12. Phantom Seer - And what saves it from being dead last? Probably the cool appearence of the sister.
13. Moriking - And rush to the ending it is. At least it doesn't feel as rushed as Bone Collection (major arc suddenly turned final arc) or Time Paradox.
14. Mission: Yozakura family - So, this chapter was just to showcase all the spies from the fan contest. Could have done something more interesting with them.
15. High-school family - Do you know what it gets to make my least favorite gag manga into something even worse? A poop chapter.

Binge update. Dr. Stone: Up to chapter 120. Stone Wars happened! And then we built a ship (among many other things) and get to explore a new area and their hostile inhabitants. I like it so much, from the shonenization of science to the characters' variety and personalities. I'll even say that the gag parts are currently the funniest in all of Jump (gag mangas included).
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Which line of discussion? The one about the new detective series?

Why on earth would that be better suited for the UU thread?
I wasn’t referring to the new series discussion.

I believe he was talking about the discussion of Undead Unluck (which was deleted)
Yes, but it was moved, not deleted.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Just passing by to say that Kazoku still is the best manga on WSJ and that WNL Asumi route was great (even tho I'm a fumino stan).

DQ Dai anime has been great so far btw, not sure if someone else also is watching it. Toei keep showing that the days of problems on pre-production on the mid of the last decade are gone. Art, design, animation, everything doing really well.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,503
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So Manga Plus will not translate the Rengoku gaiden? Thats disappointing, the chapter is akready translated by a group? Asking for a matter of including in the next poll
 

Velx

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2020
Messages
66
Reaction score
96
Age
29
Country
Ukraine
So Manga Plus will not translate the Rengoku gaiden? Thats disappointing, the chapter is akready translated by a group? Asking for a matter of including in the next poll
MP won't translate it (at least for now). 4chan will translate it as usual, but I don't think that it will be uploaded somewhere due to MD restrictions
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Mashle: Mash is so Saitama's nephew, this guy's speed and strength and endurance is off the charts, love it when he crushes OP magic like that with ease.

CSM: Chainsaw OP! Please nerf! For real!

BC: Not reading.

Dr.Stone: I did not expected her to become the president of the japan side. In any case Senku's plan was a success even with a pursuer on their tails. Next stop, SA!

JjK: God... this is CSM all over again... it is still great and I like the flashback with the other two, I wish it had happened a few dozen chapters earlier so that it could refer to it now, but man, it's just so heartbreaking... Well, maybe it's not so bad but yeah, it looks pretty bad...

MHA: Woooot, Willpower! Seriously though, poor Shigaraki. Dude always gets beaten down whenever he gets a power-up, can someone give this guy a break already? Like the only real victory he had so farwas over another villain, lol. XD

M&R: The jokes and references were all nice. Also when did Roboco got her own elementary school boy harem??? xDDD That bottle idea was a great gift, it basically said cheers to a dozen more years of friendship and friendly bullying. Those guys are just the best! <3

Yozakura: An entire chapter for fan-made characters, some were pretty good. That Henry Stickman one holy crap, hahaha! Also Americans and their big...guns, always overdoing it. Wasn't exactly hyped about this but I am sure the fans will love it considering this really was fan-service.^^

HSF: Look, there is stuff you can cover for and then there is stuff you should not cover for. Also damn, son, you shouldn't have let yourself pressured into raising your hand! Your school life is over already, bro!

UU: Well, we all called it since chapter XX, but still good to read the confirmation and see how here the mangaka tries to help less attentive/slower readers to get the hints given in previous chapters. I wanna know more about Juiz's background-story. I liked what power Phil has, again it fits his name like with the others. Apocalypse being able to do this special thing freely was a surprise, I thought you needed direct skintouch for that. That book is a real piece of work though, seems he lives for the chaos, mayhem and calamities this world has to suffer through. Well, at least he is enjoying himself. Am curious to see how Union will resolve this situation now and what quests they gonna take on.

PS: Men are so deaf...

AT: I liked this chapter. Reo is a fun character and a good and very much needed support role. Matsuri is as hot as ever and providing great fanservice though this time Suzu (get your mind out of the gutter, girl!) stole the show in her outfit. XD Reo really need to push her pants up a bit though, this is unbecoming of a young lady.^^

OBO: Alright, stuff happened because they happened for a reason we might be given next chapter.

WNL: Great ending. I didn't expected to like Asumi-Senpai's arc so much. The personal Doctor struggles were nicely put forward same with the calling by name, the baby talk and the marriage proposal. And the little home-wrecker Shima, hehe, shame girl won't get her own route, she was fun and pretty.^^
Really curious about the Sensei Arc next chapter, I think that is the one most fans look towards to. Also this means 9 chapters left then WNL finishes for good.

Magu-chan: This chapter was cute, very much so, but it just doesn't feel very destructive or chaotic or anything on the lines.

HBC&D: I get why it is sad but I couldn't feel sad because... well... it's just food poisoning for christ sake!

Moriking: Last final arc, this is it, this gonna end before WNL.

AB: I liked this. Splatoon girl all grown up. More Alien girls like this please! Also 88 affairs at once?! That is so slutty it is damn impressive already (plus she was really cute due the boys being great gentlemen due that awesome magazine xD)! Nothing against the 6 million sales in 15 minutes though, Jesus Christ Chris!!! Stop using your cuteness as a weapon, you manipulative bastard! XD

I think it was much easier to see which chapters I would give points this time than in other weeks before. A bunch was pretty good from my perspective and others were lackluster.
 

KidaShikage

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 19, 2015
Messages
48
Reaction score
74
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
1. Jujutsu Kaisen
2. Boku no Hero Academia
3. Hakaishin Magu-chan
4. Honomieru Shounen
5. Black Clover
6. Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
7. Undead Unluck
8. Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
9. Agravity Boys
10.Chainsaw-Man
11. Dr. Stone
12. Ayakashi Triangle
13. Boku to Roboco
14. Mashle
15. Bokura no Ketsumei
16. Moriking
17. Koukousei Kazoku
18. Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen

This week Jujutsu Kaisen was first by far for me. Loved every page of the chapter and even had to stop reading for about 10 minutes after finishing the chapter. It's been great for a while now.

Magu-chan and Niraikanai both had a sad chapter and I have a soft spot for that stories. Loved both of them, but seeing Magu-chan depressed missing the puppy made my day.

I used to put Roboco last, but thanks to Motsuo and Gachigorilla I'm starting to like the series. I enjoy when they bully Bondo but they're actually been so nice.

Many people have said it, but probably the worst Yozakura chapter for me. Not really related, but I was thinking about Mitama, which had a similar chapter and I remember enjoying it.

Anyway, I enjoyed pretty much everything except the last 4.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Mannnnn Jujutsu has been on a roll lately, not that I'm complaining. Nice finish for the Senpai arc, really curious how the sensei arc will be handled. RIP Moriking I guess.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top