Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
sorry, but not everyone wants to get the back cover to read.
In addition, the covers have to know how to sell your product, and this cover sells something else.
lol are you seriously telling me that when you go in a store, pick a volume manga, the only thing you look is the front cover and nothing more, you don't look at the back? the synopsis of the story is there.

You're overestimating people a bit, very few people go around reading the synopsis of every manga they see.

The problem isn't the wrong people blindly buying the volume (honestly, that would be kind of an advantage), it's the right people never checking it out because the cover doesn't draw their attention. I, for one, would completely overlook this manga if I saw it in the shop because it just.. doesn't look like the kind of story I'd read.

(The title might change that impression if I get around to reading it, but if this shop has lots of manga on display, I'd probably just do a quick visual sweep of the covers. That's why the cover art is so important - it's your one and only opportunity to catch people's attention at first glance.)
I'm not overestimating people, i'm just telling the basic of what a person would do when going to buy manga, they will see the cover of it in a store when going to buy, give it a look, look at the back of the cover, read the synopsis or just give check in their phones and instantly knows what is about, and that's it, if you would not even look at it because isn't the kind of story you would be interested, that's you, that doesn't mean the rest wouldn't, also you're giving too much power to a cover, they're not that crucial neither have the power to sink or turn a new series into a hit, i honestly doubt that anyone will just buy this knowing zero context about the story and think "oh my God, they fooled me, i thought was a calm slice of life about a dude in a island, dropped!"

In my personal opinion the combination of the illustration, with the title and Tamura's name is enough to people at least pick it up and give a look in the stores.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
lol are you seriously telling me that when you go in a store, pick a volume manga, the only thing you look is the front cover and nothing more, you don't look at the back? the synopsis of the story is there.
I haven't bought manga for a long time, but yes, there are times when I do it.


I'm not overestimating people, i'm just telling the basic of what a person would do when going to buy manga, they will see the cover of it in a store when going to buy, give it a look, look at the back of the cover, read the synopsis or just give check in their phones and instantly knows what is about, and that's it, if you would not even look at it because isn't the kind of story you would be interested, that's you, that doesn't mean the rest wouldn't, also you're giving too much power to a cover, they're not that crucial neither have the power to sink or turn a new series into a hit, i honestly doubt that anyone will just buy this knowing zero context about the story and think "oh my God, they fooled me, i thought was a calm slice of life about a dude in a island, dropped!"

In my personal opinion the combination of the illustration, with the title and Tamura's name is enough to people at least pick it up and give a look in the stores.
Well, Kishimoto's name, synopsis and back cover were not enough for people to buy samurai 8. And Samurai 8 had a very strong marketing cap.
I don't think you should overestimate Tamura that much.
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Well, Kishimoto's name, synopsis and back cover were not enough for people to buy samurai 8. And Samurai 8 had a very strong marketing cap.
I don't think you should overestimate Tamura that much.
Samurai 8 most likely suffered from poor word of mouth. People who bought the first volume didn't recommend it or the people who read it in WSJ didn't speak highly, reactions like that. I believe word of mouth is the most crucial thing in making or breaking a series and not a cover.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I haven't bought manga for a long time, but yes, there are times when I do it.




Well, Kishimoto's name, synopsis and back cover were not enough for people to buy samurai 8. And Samurai 8 had a very strong marketing cap.
I don't think you should overestimate Tamura that much.
But the point isn't really the "buying" part but people giving it a look and checking what the series is about before buying, Samurai 8 is a example to my point, the covers were really cool and appealing, people for sure checked what the series was about but sales were still low, so isn't really the cover illustration that will suddenly be a key point to the fail or success of Cop & Dolphin.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Samurai 8 most likely suffered from poor word of mouth. People who bought the first volume didn't recommend it or the people who read it in WSJ didn't speak highly, reactions like that. I believe word of mouth is the most crucial thing in making or breaking a series and not a cover.
several, I’ve seen a series with a good reputation but later they were canceled.
 

AbrahamOmosun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
400
Reaction score
1,024
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
several, I’ve seen a series with a good reputation but later they were canceled.
I mean what you are saying has most likely happened but I was talking about how positive word of mouth is more important than a cover when it comes to sales
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
I'm not overestimating people, i'm just telling the basic of what a person would do when going to buy manga, they will see the cover of it in a store when going to buy, give it a look, look at the back of the cover, read the synopsis or just give check in their phones and instantly knows what is about, and that's it, if you would not even look at it because isn't the kind of story you would be interested, that's you, that doesn't mean the rest wouldn't, also you're giving too much power to a cover, they're not that crucial neither have the power to sink or turn a new series into a hit, i honestly doubt that anyone will just buy this knowing zero context about the story and think "oh my God, they fooled me, i thought was a calm slice of life about a dude in a island, dropped!"

In my personal opinion the combination of the illustration, with the title and Tamura's name is enough to people at least pick it up and give a look in the stores.
Once again: the problem isn't the wrong people (not your target audience) buying the volume and not liking it, it's the right people (your target audience) never checking it out because it doesn't catch their attention.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tamura have only one successful series before this? With a completely different style of cover? Aside from hardcore fans, who's even gonna be able to tell this new series is his? (Again, I'm assuming people don't go around reading the author's name on every single manga in the shop.)


And covers are very important. They really are. If you don't believe me, let's do a little test: go to this page and quickly select five series you would like to know more about. (Pretend you don't know them already.)

If you made your selection based on the title and the name of the author, you are part of a very small minority. Most people will scroll down looking mostly at the pictures, and only when they find a cover they like will they look at the title and the synopsis. If the cover art doesn't catch the eye (of the right people), it doesn't really matter how good the title and the synopsis are, because you already lost them in the first step.

I'm not saying the series will automatically fail because of this (obviously), since not every selection happens based on cover and there will be people who check it out regardless, but it certainly doesn't help.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well it did reach 10 million before the end of the year as I predicted. Now Jujutsu Kaisen and Black Clover have the same circulation and Jujutsu Kaisen should go well beyond that as the anime progresses.
 

Azure Warrior

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
367
Reaction score
315
Age
32
Country
United States
I willl be really shocked if Agravity somehow cheats cancellation again.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I willl be really shocked if Agravity somehow cheats cancellation again.
I am not, after all Mitama lasted 47 chapters even selling less than Tokyo shinobi squad, the editors of jump want a new hit comedy so badly that they will hold on to the ones they have until they get one.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
lol are you seriously telling me that when you go in a store, pick a volume manga, the only thing you look is the front cover and nothing more, you don't look at the back? the synopsis of the story is there.
I’m 27 now, so typically I know what a manga is before I buy it.
But back when I was like 12-16(Shonen’s target demographic) I absolutely read or bought series based on the cover arts. If the cover didn’t catch my attention, I didn’t even pick the manga up.

And even today I’m still somewhat like this.
Unless the manga has an interesting title, or cover art, I’m not going to even pick up the volume. I’ll just not notice it.

And I think we all do this here to some degree. Whenever previews for new serializations come up people constantly base which ones there excited for and which once’s they aren’t excited for based solely on the title and how cool the preview image looks. Most of us typically read every new series, but your average Shonen fan will probably only pick up a series if the art or character designs catch their eye.
 

Ravellino

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2016
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
584
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
well light novels have huge titles that practically serve as a synopsis
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
I’m 27 now, so typically I know what a manga is before I buy it.
But back when I was like 12-16(Shonen’s target demographic) I absolutely read or bought series based on the cover arts. If the cover didn’t catch my attention, I didn’t even pick the manga up.

And even today I’m still somewhat like this.
Unless the manga has an interesting title, or cover art, I’m not going to even pick up the volume. I’ll just not notice it.

And I think we all do this here to some degree. Whenever previews for new serializations come up people constantly base which ones there excited for and which once’s they aren’t excited for based solely on the title and how cool the preview image looks. Most of us typically read every new series, but your average Shonen fan will probably only pick up a series if the art or character designs catch their eye.
Me too. I mean, how else are you gonna do it? If your bookshop only has two manga, that's one thing, but I usually shop either online or at conventions and in both cases there's gonna be at least 50 series to choose from. I'm not gonna read 50 synopses, thank you very much. I'm not even gonna read 50 titles. Either the cover needs to stand out somehow, or I must have heard of it beforehand (in which case the manga is already somewhat famous and probably more than 1 volume long).

I don't know how many new manga appear in Japan every month, but I imagine it's quite a lot, so we really shouldn't assume that everyone will check out every title. Especially since there's probably also a lot of casual readers who will only go to the shop every few months.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,552
Reaction score
15,719
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
If Jujutsu Kaisen starts selling in Oricon year 2021 at the same rhytm it has been selling this last month there would be really good chances of it ending in the top-3 next year. Holy.
 

lobito180

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Messages
45
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
lol are you seriously telling me that when you go in a store, pick a volume manga, the only thing you look is the front cover and nothing more, you don't look at the back? the synopsis of the story is there.



I'm not overestimating people, i'm just telling the basic of what a person would do when going to buy manga, they will see the cover of it in a store when going to buy, give it a look, look at the back of the cover, read the synopsis or just give check in their phones and instantly knows what is about, and that's it, if you would not even look at it because isn't the kind of story you would be interested, that's you, that doesn't mean the rest wouldn't, also you're giving too much power to a cover, they're not that crucial neither have the power to sink or turn a new series into a hit, i honestly doubt that anyone will just buy this knowing zero context about the story and think "oh my God, they fooled me, i thought was a calm slice of life about a dude in a island, dropped!"

In my personal opinion the combination of the illustration, with the title and Tamura's name is enough to people at least pick it up and give a look in the stores.
Japanese tankobon back covers don't have a synopsis on them, at least the ones from Jump.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top