Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,522
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Good issue this week. Chainsaw Man knocked it out of the park, Cop and Dolphin has really improved in this past arc, hope it keeps this up. Blood Oath is improving I think? I at least have an idea of what it's going for now and I'm down, even though I wouldn't be surprise if it meets a quick demise.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Sorry, I said winners, I don't remember including kurogane who didn't win. or Gotouge, Gondaira and Gege who did not publish their one shot that competed at GFC.

And as far as I can remember hungry joker was a failure, yuki tabata was only successful with Black clover.

I don't include beelzebub and nura because they were successful, but most of GFC's competitors have failed.
In regards to those names who didn't win I was referring to the further exposure it brought them having their oneshots compete in this highly promoted competition in the magazine they want success in.
The fact that Gotoge alone was a GFC competitor (albeit not a winner) lends a lot of weight to the competitions reputation now.
 
Last edited:

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
Very depressing chapter of csm this week. Like I’ve said some of my favorite aspects of CSM are the less action heavy moments as that’s when I feel the writing truly shines in this manga.

MHA’s chapter was incredible, while many ppl will say the time it took to be revealed was drawn out, I think that it was perfect timing as not only would it not fit into any other arc, the character development of certain and in depth look into hero society really help make the pay off even more impactful. Really has me hyped for the next chapter now.

JJK continuing with its incredible fight choreography, nothing much really to say but that.

Mashle genuinely making me laugh each chapter. Despite it relying on a lot of running gags, the jokes still haven’t gotten old.

UU expanding on its power system and is almost there at beating JJK as my favorite current shonen jump battle system. At this point this has kind of become my favorite battle manga in jump, I’m just so invested in the logic and world building of UU and its very smart and intriguing fight scenes.

Dr stone continuing to be dr stone. Nice, smart, engaging “science” scenes with very cheesy dialogue. I’m not a fan of the new character though, normally dr stone characters are very archetypical but in a tasteful and likable way. The new character however is just extremely annoying.

Jigokuraku is a series I don’t talk about a lot but it is a series I absolutely love. Extremely likable characters, nice fight scenes, amazing character designs, engaging plot, edgy yet not cringy atmosphere, and so much more that I love about this manga. This is the jump plus series I hope gets an anime the most. With the way things are going it seems like it’s ending in 2021 having enough chapters for a 3 cour anime series once it finish. This chapter in particular was incredible and engaging from start to finish.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
In regards to those names who didn't win I was referring to the further exposure it brought them having their oneshots compete in this highly promoted competition in the magazine they want success in.
The fact that Gotoge alone was a GFC competitor (albeit not a winner) lends a lot of weight to the competitions reputation now.
Look, nothing against Gotouge, I love kimetsu and I defend the final arc.
But having participated in the GFC does not change the fact that there are few successful winners.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Look, nothing against Gotouge, I love kimetsu and I defend the final arc.
But having participated in the GFC does not change the fact that there are few successful winners.
Okay?
There are successful mangaka who received exposure from participating in it.
Gauging the success of the competition shouldn't just be about looking at the success of the winning one-shots, but analyzing what the competition did for the competing mangaka as a whole. I mean Gotoge, and Akutami are big deals for Shueshia right now whether their one-shots won or not.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
CSM: Yeah, I don't think you will ever become normal. bro...

MHA: Nice dance, Dabi! Also time to get rid of the Endeavor stocks, those gonna hit rock-bottom the next day for sure.

Dr. Stone: Kite is OP!!! What insane speed with such a ship and so many people on board! Rubber time next chapter though doesn't it take quite a while to make rubber? And for six bikes at that?

Mashle: Couldn't you at least say Muscle Power? Like that way you could have Bs your way out by saying your magic spell is inside your body which is why that magical item didn't worked as it only works directly on spells. Also way too be thankless, dude in the background! Though the others are totally forgetting about twintails here who has just disappeared, so the gig is up anyway.

BC: Not reading.

WNL: Lotsa dayums this chapter, leave it to Fanservice-Sensei to give us fanservice. Though I have no idea what kind of underwear or sport pants she is wearing for us so clearly to too pretty much everything. Also what happened at that ending was pretty fast, wasn't it? Like isn't that the fastest of all arcs so far?

Yozakura: That was really cool. The flashback was nice and I really liked the tragedy of the car accident and the hospital scene. I really wanted some "sound effects" for that part with the little brother, a good anime could make this scene sooooo chilling to the heart. The part with the leg was crazy, but then again, compared to many of the other stuff that happened so far, it felt quite normal, lol. Taiyo has grown strong! <3

JjK: Cool fights as ever, the ending strikes me as a lame cheat, like no way that gonna work out how he hopes it will.

UU: Pretty sure he is a guy. And totally loco in the head on top of that. But his powers are damn cool and versatile. Artifacts really are like extra powers, I wonder what Fuuko's gun can do. Seems like some Umas are more of a difficult fight than others, maybe there is some ranking to them after all which we are just not aware yet? Finally! A training arc! A proper one where we actually will get a training chapter and not a timeskip, yes! This gonna be good! Really liked how Un Anno said that believing too much in rules can be a hindrance for a Negator who's very existence already denies a rule of the world. Didn't expected that guy to become their mentor, but it is a good change of pace, very much needed in my opinion to take some gas off the pedal.

AT: Aw man, the solution I didn't wanted to happened happened. Shirogane was obvious but with Matsuri I had hopes, HOPES! All dashed and crashed now... Best thing about this chapter was Suzu being really cool with her powers. Once she gets a handle of them Matsuri will be out of a job, lol. XD

M&R: Haikyu reference ftw! Leave it to our kind bullies to save the day! The rules "YES!" part was actually pretty good. XD

HBC&D: Dang, poor girl really can't catch a break. We get tidbits of Orpheus past, very nice, as well as some concrete ties from his past to the current affairs, very promising. All in all much explanation, few happenings, but that was needed as a conclusion to the previous chapters.

Kokosei: 2 chapters, son trying to live life and me already knowing he totally picked the wrong club, lol, no way his crush was carrying a tennis racket bag. Dad being a sport wonder as ever, the tennis club apparently becoming the son's new senpai friends and Dad going back to volleyball. Basically sport manga already.

PS: YIKES! What a way to die! Gruesome! Love it! Ghost girl got all the markings to be a great evil opponent. Ah yeah and female protag is playing hide-and-seek with the Tengu-chans, I guess.

Magu-chan: I loved that hermit crabs chapter to pieces!!! Gimme more! I love how Naputaaku is into cooking and how his followers help him with that, I loved the loyal pigeon, Magu-chan being a random source of chaos eating the offering and leaving behind a badass sword and the cute hermit crabs having the adventure of their lives finding the food for their Overlord just to get tricked by Uneras but only to end up with something better than they set out to. Love it! <3

OBO: Lame backgroundstory is lame. And man, that chapter ending was so ugh. As was the little vampire bro's tantrum, yeah yeah, we get it, but maybe you cannot talk to everyone, hm? Just like how you can't reason with Vampiric beasts? Ever thought of that?

AB: HOLY BABAE!!! HOLY SAGAKO!! HOLY, eh I guess Germai's okay. Love H.B. invention taking it a step further just to make sure that when they turn back the boys will be like "WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY~" and wailing in despair of an amazing chance gone by. XD The part where they got help while being so... well... "emotional" was great as well. Ar died, rofl. Can't wait for the swimsuit chapter next chapter! Gonna be glorious! <3

Moriking: Man, talking about Hunter tournament here, time to beat all insects from europe, africa, south america and probably australia (totally gonna be a spider lady!).

All in all a fun week to read.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
well, Phantom seer will win a CP next week, it’s more than other GFC winners had when they won serialization.
I don't include beelzebub and nura because they were successful, but most of GFC's competitors have failed.
Still though, you said Phantom Seer will have more with its upcoming color page than "other GFC winners", which is just blatantly false when one of those GFC winners became a series that sold over 12 million copies and got an anime adaptation.
 

NotMe123

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 29, 2020
Messages
20
Reaction score
4
Age
27
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please link me the website where I check the release schedule for WSJ magazine’s? Not the chapters but the magazine itself. Thanks in advance
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Gotouge, Gondaira and Gege who did not publish their one shot that competed at GFC.

Gotoge competed in 2014 with Rokkotsu-san
Gondaira actually won in 2015 with Genjui Toteku but never seraizlied it.
Akutami competed in 2016 with Nikai Bongai Barabarujura.
Please don't try and correct me if you don't have the proper information.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Is there any prize that comes with the GFC other than serialization in the magazine? Do they get money?

But tbh, I think at this point it’s clear that being a GFC competitor doesn’t really raises a mangaka’s notoriety.
The exposure comes from being in the magazine in itself. And they could just as easily just do a “One Shot” season where the magazine has back to back oneshots, without it being a competition.
The GFC oneshot aren’t any more special than any other one shot run in the magazine, and can just as easily get axed as other oneshots that get full series
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Is there any prize that comes with the GFC other than serialization in the magazine? Do they get money?

But tbh, I think at this point it’s clear that being a GFC competitor doesn’t really raises a mangaka’s notoriety.
The exposure comes from being in the magazine in itself. And they could just as easily just do a “One Shot” season where the magazine has back to back oneshots, without it being a competition.
The GFC oneshot aren’t any more special than any other one shot run in the magazine, and can just as easily get axed as other oneshots that get full series
Maybe on a surface level.
However, the fact the they give special promotion to the one-shots through the guise of a special annual competition in a magazine full of battle competition manga really makes it seem like a big deal. Especially to the younger readers invested in voting.
It creates much more excitement and connection to the one-shot/mangaka you're rooting for than if it was just released as a simple one-shot.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Maybe on a surface level.
However, the fact the they give special promotion to the one-shots through the guise of a special annual competition in a magazine full of battle competition manga really makes it seem like a big deal. Especially to the younger readers invested in voting.
It creates much more excitement and connection to the one-shot/mangaka you're rooting for than if it was just released as a simple one-shot.
While it’s true that they get built up as being a big deal with special promo, as someone else said, this promo doesn’t seem to correlate into success. The vast majority of the competitors didn’t find success with the series they entered into the competition.

And when they do find success it’s not like you can directly connect their success to their GFC one shot. Gege, for Exp, seems like they found their success mainly through the GIGA mini series. And it’s unlikely ppl picked up GIGA mini series because they enjoyed the one shot that much.
Being in GFC is by all means more of a positive, and doesn’t hurt or anything. But we’ve seen nothing to suggest that it contributes to fans or sucess
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Speaking of Yu-Gi-Oh, I feel like it's so successful I feel like most people often forget that it was originally a Shonen Jump series. The 2000 anime and Konami's card game surely helped to form a different image of the series in most people's minds.

Now I wonder if Shueisha and/or Takahashi gets some of the profts from Konami's OCG/TCG.
Yeah Shueisha is partnered with Konami, V-Jump has lots of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards and I'm pretty sure there's always a Yu-Gi-Oh! manga is running, V-JUMP pretty much is for Yu-Gi-Oh! (And Digimon, Boruto and Dragon Ball) what Coro Coro is to Pokemon, a magazine aimed at selling merch at kids. So yeah, Shueish takes their cut indirectly.
Takahashi 100% sure gets some kind of money it is his property after all, though if it's a 10% cut of everything sold (like royalties) or maybe a special arrangment that's something only he knows.

@DreamcastDazia
I loved your post haha.
BLEACH to me always looked like an evolution of Saint Seiya, the Gotei 13 are basically modern versions of Saint Seiya's Gold Saints...
And while I haven't read Kimetsu I have seen a couple pages here and there and know about the breathing techniques, Kimetsu in a sense reminds me of BLEACH, like the Pillar dudes are pretty much the Gotei 13 of the KnY universe, which in turn was inspired by Saint Seiya.


Reminder that there is no solid source for the "Black Jack has 176m units in circulation" thing

Considering this website said it was at 40m in 2006, I'm inclined to believe the lower number

45.64m would put it at under 2m per volume, which is great, for sure, but it's nowhere near Demon Slayer

Regarding the conversation, I think it all depends on the coming years/decades and how they manage the IP on all the relevant fronts. So we can't really predict how things will go.

But people gotta remember that Demon Slayer has not stopped selling yet. We don't even know how high they will go, so trying to predict the future of the IP using them is kinda weird.
Black Jack most definitely hasn't sold 170 million, since I think it was you that mentioned that the site that reported those numbers then changed it to other number.
But if we are talking manga that have supposedly sold BIG numbers then Devilman has sold 50 million worldwide with only 5 volumes? This would mean each volume on average sold 10 million.
This is a trustable source i think, the problem is that it's worldwide numbers (So no way to know how much it sold locally) and that while the original Devilman is 5 volumes long it has plenty of spin-off titles (And it's not stated whether that number counts spin-off titles).
Personally, I don't think the article refers to only the original five-volume manga, but maybe the whole Devilman franchise worldwide, which I think is still astounding numbers.



I don't know that much about the subject, but what can realistically be compared to the current Kimetsu craze? Is there anything that peaked at this level of popularity in Japan? I'm thinking of maybe pokémon in the late 90s?

Speaking of which, I feel like the Pokémon/Yokai Watch situation is an interesting comparison for Demon Slayer. Like Pokémon, Yokai Watch exploded out of nowhere, and even got close to Pokémon's popularity for a short while, only to die as a franchise really quickly because of mismanagement of the IP by Level 5.

Right now, Demon Slayer is still in that peak popularity phase. The rest entirely depends on the coming years. It could become either a pokémon or a Yokai Watch.
Yokai Watch is the only thing that comes to mind, also it didn't come close to Pokemon, in some fronts it obliterated Pokemon numbers, maybe its games didn't sell as much as Pokemon but once its anime started it exploded so much that its movie broke Japan records (then Frozen 2 broke a lot of those, and now KnY broke those).
Yokai Watch literally lost 90% of its audience in the following years, movies nowadays make literally less than 10% what the first one made, I can only imagine merchandise sales are more or less the same.
But what happened to Yokai Watch is easy to understand, its audience outgrew it and it didn't captivate a new one, I don't think this will happen to Kimetsu as its average consumer must definitely are people around 15-25 (My guess?) so they won't get tired of the franchise because it will seem "kiddish" to them later (Which it's probably what happened to the Yokai Watch audience).

Other example I can think of is Dr. Slump exploding in popularity, though I have only heard/read anecdotes of this, it's backed up by some data we have of volume 6 iirc also it's known that Dr. Slump was the most watched JUMP anime adaptation, 20 average viewers per episode and i think 35 was its biggest rating).. Also iirc volume 6 of Dr.Slump had an intial print run of 2.2 million, breaking records for initial print run until Slam Dunk broke it in 1994ish.

But yeah neither of these were as big as KnY.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

As for "legacy" I see some of you guys are equating legacy with "artistic legacy" like how it will influence mangaka in the future, while I was more or less thinking "legacy" as how much it would sell in the future either locally/worldwide.

As for artistic legacy, as plenty of people here have already said I don't think there's anything new Kimetsu did -at least from what I watched- plot wise (like how for example Jojo basically created a new power system with Stands that was later used in Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Persona, etc.) but art wise maybe some manga will try to make pupils more like Kimetsu no Yaiba, I think the pupils in KnY look cool, like they are not completely circular, Tanjiro's even look hexagonal.

As for sales, or potential to go worldwide, as I said I think its explosive popularity will mostly stay in Japan (maybe some Asian countries) but I don't think it will reach Dragon Ball or even Naruto levels of recognition elsewhere.
For example, there's plenty of non-anime watchers here in Mexico that would have an idea of who Naruto is (Mostly by memes, like Naruto running), but I don't think they will ever know who Tanjiro is.
Basically, I think if Kimetsu no Yaiba manages to attain the same success that My Hero Academia has outside of Japan I think that will be a huge success for the franchise, but I doubt it will get to the level of popularity MHA has in other territories other than Asia.

BTW @Rouk' do you have any numbers of how much Kimetsu and MHA sell in France? I think maybe that would be a good indicator of how KnY has growth outside Asia, it most likely is a best seller but does it sell better per volume than for example MHA or One Piece?
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
@perroloco Glad someone appreciated it 😪 Sometimes it feels like no one likes Bleach anymore
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
@DreamcastDazia
I loved your post haha.
BLEACH to me always looked like an evolution of Saint Seiya, the Gotei 13 are basically modern versions of Saint Seiya's Gold Saints...
And while I haven't read Kimetsu I have seen a couple pages here and there and know about the breathing techniques, Kimetsu in a sense reminds me of BLEACH, like the Pillar dudes are pretty much the Gotei 13 of the KnY universe, which in turn was inspired by Saint Seiya.
If it feels like Bleach is was a modern version of Saint Seiya (at the time), it's because it was! It's been cited as one of his favourites and main inspirations.
Early Influences and the Beginnings of Bleach
Q: When did you decide to become a manga artist?


Tite Kubo: I had already decided when I was in elementary school. When I became a manga artist, I became interested in architecture and design, but I've really only wanted to become a manga artist.


Q: Which artists influenced you then, made you feel like it would be really cool to become a professional manga artist?


Tite Kubo: Hmm. My number one favorite manga then was Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro(by Shigeru Mizuki)! I've always liked the yokai (monsters) in that series. The other one that I liked a lot is Saint Seiya (a.k.a. Knights of the Zodiac by Masami Kurumada) -- the characters all wear armor and have interesting weapons.


Q: Huh! I guess that makes sense. I can kind of see some of the influence of both series in Bleach -- the Japanese supernatural themes from Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro and the weaponry and battle scenes from Saint Seiya.


Tite Kubo: Yes, I think so, definitely.

Source: https://www.liveabout.com/interview-tite-kubo-2282834

I definitely agree that Demon Slayer feels a lot like Bleach as well. Can't find it being stated explicitly anywhere but I felt it from the very beginning. The other current mangaka I know that has been inspired by Bleach is Horikoshi when they did an interview together and he basically gushes over Kubo and confirms the 'Big Three' wasn't just a Western invention.

Kubo-sensei Is One of My Heroes!!
In your eyes, what is a hero? What evil do they face?

Kubo:
That’s a question to which the man behind HeroAca must reply, “I’ll answer that though my manga.”

Horikoshi: I’m still struggling to find a satisfying answer, but I hope to reveal it in the final chapter.

Kubo: I look forward it.

Horikoshi: While we’re on the topic, Kubo-sensei, how do you go about depicting concepts like good and evil in your series?

Kubo: Though I’ve always been a fan of superheroes, I’m not the type to draw with a theme in mind. I’d much rather hear about the heroes in your life, Horikoshi-kun.

Horikoshi: Alright. Back when I read Jump obsessively, Oda-sensei, Kishimoto-sensei, and Kubo-sensei were the three pillars that propped up the magazine. Ah, I swear I’m not just saying that to kiss up to you. [laughs] (TN: Eiichiro Oda and Masashi Kishimoto are the creators of One Piece and Naruto, respectively.)

Kubo: You totally are… [laughs]

Horikoshi: Either way, I truly believe that Jump was at its most interesting back then!

Kubo: That’s similar to how we felt about Jump when Dragon Ball was being serialized.

Horikoshi: Right. Hence the three of you are my heroes!

Horikoshi-sensei. Although you were only in middle school when Bleach started, did it influence you in any way?

Horikoshi:
At the time, I had never drawn anything resembling manga before, so I’d doodle randomly while daydreaming about settings or characters. I used to copy art of people holding zanpaku-to, among other things.

Kubo: I’d love see ’em! Were those zanpaku-to your original creations?

Horikoshi: Yes. Their blades could transform, just not into bankai. [laughs] Anyway, I came up with a bunch of those.

Kubo: Do you still have them around?

Horikoshi: Probably not. All I remember is that I drew them in B5 notebooks at home…

Kubo: Darn, you should’ve mailed them to me as fan letters! I save every piece of fan mail I receive, so I would’ve preserved them for you.

Horikoshi: In any event, Bleach was responsible for ingraining the power of words in me. However, my sensibilities are nowhere near as polished as yours… Which is why some people might think I’m lacking.

Source: https://edomonogatari.wordpress.com/2019/10/05/kubo-horikoshi/
 

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
As for artistic legacy, as plenty of people here have already said I don't think there's anything new Kimetsu did -at least from what I watched- plot wise (like how for example Jojo basically created a new power system with Stands that was later used in Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Persona, etc.) but art wise maybe some manga will try to make pupils more like Kimetsu no Yaiba, I think the pupils in KnY look cool, like they are not completely circular, Tanjiro's even look hexagonal.
Aesthetics wise, Kimetsu is a very unique manga with designs almost looking like Ukio-e paintings sometimes and complex clothing patterns on the characters. Also its setting is very distinct too. I don't think there ever was another mainstream shounen manga taking place in early 20th century industrial Japan.

Plot wise, I can see its balance of lighthearted and depressing plots being an influence on future mangaka. Shounen manga might be less afraid of murdering off their main cast. Kimetsu was all about the slayers absolutely destroying themselves to kill the invincible demons.
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
623
Reaction score
1,697
Age
40
Country
Italy
1. Chainsaw Man: I'm surprised how often this becomes chapter of the week when it breaks from frantic action and gets into full psychology...you can really feel the despair of the characters. Not often you can see characters that are so deep.
2. Undead Unluck: Cool enemy, reckless mentor, this chapter has it all. I like a lot that arc tropes are written into the story...like, you know there's a triaining arc incoming because a character shouts "Here comes a training arc!!!", and it feels absolutely legit.
3. Hard-boiled Cop & Dolphin: I really like this serious tone. The mistery gets deeper and it has connections with our characters' backstory. I hope the sales are going well enough to keep it afloat a bit more and that these are not endgame revelations!
4. Magu-chan: God of Destruction: Dedicating the week to the animal minions was a nice idea. The chapter feels original for the first time in a while, and I'll probably buy a spin-off manga about the hermit crabs.
5. Mashle: A chapter that I liked for the first time in weeks. It did for the plot a lot more than the recent batch of fights. And it was funny too! I wonder how they will deal with the situation at hand next week.
6. Mission: Yozakura Family: That was a nice backstory, the part about his brother was really sad. The final spread about the secret technique was also really cool.
7. Dr. Stone: A fun chapter where nothing really relevant happens, but its just there to buy time...both in-universe and on a meta level.
8. Jujutsu Kaisen: People keeps fighting, the fight itself is really cool but I'm eager to see how it concludes.
9. Me & Roboco: Is it possible that they decided to use Roboco to promote what is out? Last week, Jujutsu anime, and now Haikyuu final volume: not that I'm complaining, as long as it is funny.
10. Ayakashi Triangle: I was expecting this week final twist way before last week's final twist...I imagine both to happen from time to time, like when Detective Conan has those Shinichi chapters once in a while.
11. Phantom Seer: (relatively) Good position because of the creepiness of the final pages...this series is definitely improving.
12. My Hero Academia: Yes, the beloved revelation is down for two reasons: the first, that I don't think it is the time to focus on this, while a huge battle with enourmous stakes should begin to wrap up; the second, is that those that learned the truth (in-universe) were shocked, while I was expecting for them to know or at least suspect something. Great moment for all the fans, anyway!
13. Black Clover: Nothing really interesting happens as this training arc keeps going on. I think that I am starting to dislike the naivety of the main character.
14. Moriking: Not really bad, at least Shoko was playing as the straight girl more than usual! What if this final arc has a Shaman King-like end?
15. High School Family: The "tennis arc" was actually better than I thiught, it's just that I am not into this manga and expecially into the Dad character.
16. Our Blood Oath: The only true bad chapter of the week. The flashback story doesn't feel natural: how can you betray your friend like that without showing any sign of fear while you are with him? The author needs to work on storytelling.

Binge update: Black Clover 1-200: Up to chapter 160 (busy week, didn't read much). The elves have shown their true face. Many shocking revelations and great fights! Have I reached the peak of this series?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top