Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,523
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Still though, you said Phantom Seer will have more with its upcoming color page than "other GFC winners", which is just blatantly false when one of those GFC winners became a series that sold over 12 million copies and got an anime adaptation.
I remember nura and beelzebub, Muhyo and rouji (very late) who were successful and had anime, but I don't remember if Hungry joker, iron Knight, hime doll and others were not so lucky.
I am not giving any false information, I have been following the GFC for a long time.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Aesthetics wise, Kimetsu is a very unique manga with designs almost looking like Ukio-e paintings sometimes and complex clothing patterns on the characters. Also its setting is very distinct too. I don't think there ever was another mainstream shounen manga taking place in early 20th century industrial Japan.

Plot wise, I can see its balance of lighthearted and depressing plots being an influence on future mangaka. Shounen manga might be less afraid of murdering off their main cast. Kimetsu was all about the slayers absolutely destroying themselves to kill the invincible demons.
Golden Kamuy (1905 Russo-Japan war, early 20th century with guns and stuff)
Slightly earlier than Taisho Era (1912)
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Okay?
There are successful mangaka who received exposure from participating in it.
Gauging the success of the competition shouldn't just be about looking at the success of the winning one-shots, but analyzing what the competition did for the competing mangaka as a whole. I mean Gotoge, and Akutami are big deals for Shueshia right now whether their one-shots won or not.
Gotoge competed in 2014 with Rokkotsu-san
Gondaira actually won in 2015 with Genjui Toteku but never seraizlied it.
Akutami competed in 2016 with Nikai Bongai Barabarujura.
Please don't try and correct me if you don't have the proper information.
I'm talking about the manga and not the authors.
even Gondaira for example winning the competition, he didn’t publish Genjui Toteku, his Poro was canceled and now he’s working in Yozakura.

even Gondaira for example winning the competition, he didn’t publish Genjui Toteku, his Poro was canceled and now he’s working in Yozakura.
Gotouge and gege did not publish Rokkotsu-san and Nikai Bongai Barabarujura, but were successful with kimetsu and Jujutsu.

You don't even know what you're accusing me of, you're just arguing for nothing.
And I don't lie about Phantom seer, it's good to see a GFC manga gain CP after so long, even if it's not successful.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm talking about the manga and not the authors.
even Gondaira for example winning the competition, he didn’t publish Genjui Toteku, his Poro was canceled and now he’s working in Yozakura.

even Gondaira for example winning the competition, he didn’t publish Genjui Toteku, his Poro was canceled and now he’s working in Yozakura.
Gotouge and gege did not publish Rokkotsu-san and Nikai Bongai Barabarujura, but were successful with kimetsu and Jujutsu.

You don't even know what you're accusing me of, you're just arguing for nothing.
And I don't lie about Phantom seer, it's good to see a GFC manga gain CP after so long, even if it's not successful.
You don't even understand what I'm arguing dude.
Savethecat at least had a decent rebuttal.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Aesthetics wise, Kimetsu is a very unique manga with designs almost looking like Ukio-e paintings sometimes and complex clothing patterns on the characters. Also its setting is very distinct too. I don't think there ever was another mainstream shounen manga taking place in early 20th century industrial Japan.

Plot wise, I can see its balance of lighthearted and depressing plots being an influence on future mangaka. Shounen manga might be less afraid of murdering off their main cast. Kimetsu was all about the slayers absolutely destroying themselves to kill the invincible demons.
Yeah I forgot that too, the cool japanese-looking waves Tanjiro uses and also appared in the most recent arc in One Piece (which is inspired in Japan) so maybe the Japanese ukiyo-e aesthetic will be more used, it certainly is good looking at least to me.

Also I have read what you mentioned about KnY's setting being rarely used in media, so maybe that will also change?

As for the last part of your post, I got similar vibes from BLEACH's last arc, I don't want to spoil much haha but some parts of your post reminded me of Saint Seiya a lot, especially the final arc, the Hades arc where the Saints have to fight the Specters of Hades (basically demons with "Sapuris" AKA Armors/Cloths) and they also went to great lengths in their fights, I won't say more as I don't want to spoil Saint Seiya but I will say this since it's a known fact from the Hades arc (although a mild spoiler):


There is a holy war between Athena's saints and Hades' Spectres every 243 years, the one that happens in the original Saint Seiya manga is set in 1990, but it is shown in the original manga that only 2 of the 88 Saints or Athena survived the last war, also there is an entire 25 volume prequel manga of Saint Seiya named Saint Seiya Lost Canvas that is about the last war which is set in 1743. It's an excellent action/battle shonen manga and I consider one of the few spin-off media to be on par (If not better) than its original source.

But yeah one of the things I would like for shonen to do is keep their characters dead, like.. How many characters died in [insert WSJ series]? Chances are if it was made after the 1980s not that many.. But maybe it's just a staple of WSJ, like it doesn't allow mangaka to kill characters?
(Also if someone argues about this please either put spoilers when mention a certain series or just talk vaguely, I don't want people to get spoiled over this).
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
- Yoritomi in charge of Build King (previously an editor for Toriko; also in charge of High School Family).
When was he editor for Toriko? Pre or post time skip?
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Really enjoyed the character design of Phantom’s villain. The horror factor ramped up this week.

Loving the Sensei already in Undead. The character will really liven things up during our incoming training arc.
 

Rouk'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
144
Reaction score
664
Age
27
Country
France
BTW @Rouk' do you have any numbers of how much Kimetsu and MHA sell in France? I think maybe that would be a good indicator of how KnY has growth outside Asia, it most likely is a best seller but does it sell better per volume than for example MHA or One Piece?
Sure

In 2016 (release year), it sold 240k units with 6 volumes out, including 61 443 units for vol. 1 which released in March.
In 2017, it sold 500k units with 5 new volumes.
In 2018, it sold 715k units with 5 new volumes.
In 2019, it sold 890k units with 5 new volumes.

Its new volumes are among the best selling volumes each year, selling between 45k and 85k in 2019 for example. Only One Piece and Dragon Ball Super sell more with the same number of months. (The Promised Neverland and One-Punch Man are close too).

We also know that the first volume of 2019, vol. 17, had a 100k first print, and that it sold between 70% and 85% of that (probably closer to 70%)

(Gotta keep in mind that legs are much more important in France (Also true for most countries not called Japan, I believe) than in Japan. I don't have any exact numbers, but you could say that a volume that releases in January will sell as many units in Jan-Mar as in Apr-Dec. Volumes released during the holidays are more front loaded, but they still won't catch up to the sales of volumes released earlier in the year.)
The Demon Slayer situation is a bit special. Panini, its publisher, first released it in 2017 (It was called "Les Rôdeurs de la Nuit"), but it was such a huge flop that they cancelled its publication after 3 volumes. They only rereleased it in September 2019 (thanks to the anime's popularity) with a new name (Demon Slayer : Kimetsu no Yaiba) and much stronger marketing, with 2 volumes at once, then 2 volumes in October and a fifth one in November.

No exact data for the first volume nor the first year are known. We have a range of 30k-60k units for vol. 1, and since KnY wasn't in the yearly top 20 for 2019, we know it sold less than 150k units.

However, in June 2020, with the release of vol. 8, Panini announced that the manga had reached 300k volumes in print (so not sold, kinda hard to compare to MHA considering there is usually a lot of stock in the shelves).


So not much data to go by. We'll know a lot more next year when the yearly results are released (around April? We could have had some results released in the Angoulème Festival in January, but it's been postponed because of Covid).

We have one direct comparison with HeroAca vol.22 and KnY vol.6 that released the same day (Jan. 2) thanks to the rankings given by CanalBD, one of the largest comic retailer in France. In their first week, HeroAca was the n°2 best-selling manga and KnY was n°3. In the first two months, HeroAca was n°1 and KnY was 5th (volumes of One Piece, Neverland and DBSuper were in between). KnY has been selling a lot these past few months. I keep seeing its first volume (sometimes several) in the weekly top 200 best-selling books, so who knows how much its new volumes are selling now.

2016 Report
2017 Report
2018 Report
2019 Report
2019's best selling individual volumes (Pic by @debaoki on twitter, from a conference at the 2020 Angoulème Festival, data is from GfK)
Demon Slayer at 300k units in circulation (Pic by @Gaak_fr on twitter, from a press kit sent with vol. 8) :
CanalBD's best-sellers
Weekly top 200 by Edistat
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Also I have read what you mentioned about KnY's setting being rarely used in media, so maybe that will also change?
That's what I said I my previous post that it will probably inspire more stories that develop in this setting, it's very rare. Golden kamuy, Mars red (coming next year) and Taisho Baseball Girls are the only ones that comes to mind that got an anime adaptation.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
You don't even understand what I'm arguing dude.
Savethecat at least had a decent rebuttal.
I understand that you are refuting what I am saying with an argument similar to mine. That's practically what you're doing, and at the end of the same since beelzebub, there's no GFC winning series making it.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,523
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Probably climax of current arc, color page, 25 pages and another Spy Day, Yozakura be eating next week :hee

And now the torture until the release of Build King starts, feeling excited but nervous at the same time, despite the confidence in the author, you never know what will happen, i really wish will not be like with Fujimaki that published a manga about golf being his favorite sport only to write something underwhelming, for the ones that don't know, the theme of Build King is something Shima is passionate about and wanted to do since Toriko.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,549
Reaction score
15,715
Gender
Male
Country
Spain

If I recall, the first 2015 Toriko volume was 33. Toriko was already going down at full speed in sales, and post timeskip sales were really meh. Dunno, maybe that editor and Shimabukuro will be more succesful with Build King (or they won't).
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura was alright, I'd imagine fans of it enjoyed it this week but it didn't do too much for me. Better than the past few at least

Agravity was okay, didn't land poorly but felt pretty weak, especially considering how built up the gender swap is

Undead was great, interested to see how a training arc will go

Mashle was pretty good, really liked the gang's realization but the ending felt kinda rushed

Moriking was meh, I liked the panel with the 2 bugs appearing but the rest of the chapter fell flat

Ayakashi was good, surprised I actually care for Shirogane a bit

Magu was good as well, a chapter mostly focused on the animal friends was fun

Dolphin was alright, the reveal at the end is interesting but most of the chapter felt like restating information we already knew

Roboco was great, it continues to deliver

Phantom was good, I do really like the art, everything else was as usual

HSF was alright, neither chapter really resonated with me but it wasn't bad either

This might be the first Blood Oath chapter I kinda liked, series does feel like it has a middle school-esque edge to it though

JJK was great this week. I liked the MHA reveal but it's really no surprise so I can't bring myself to care too much. I haven't been too big on Mafuyu route in WNL but the ending of this chapter has me excited for next week.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
This week's Moriking chapters has me even more curious what's going to happen to it. It's setting up an arc that certainly has potential to last past this batch, but the final page feels to me like a page you see in an axed series that has just a chapter or two left and is about to rush to the end. A "Get ready for the final battle!" kind of moment. It's definitely ending now at any rate.

My guess is it'll maybe end in a couple issues, but be one of those axed series who get an extra chapter on Jump+ or something to fill out the final volume and give it a little more chance to wrap-up like Gakkyu Hotei and Higuma.

V3 of new series usually go up to ch 25 right? If it ends next week I could see v3 being the last one since 12 chapter volumes do happen, but any longer and it'd need a v4 (with the volume being padded with a couple bonus chapters or oneshots or something).
 
Last edited:

KidaShikage

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 19, 2015
Messages
48
Reaction score
74
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
This week's ranking:

1: Chainsaw-Man
2: Boku no Hero Academia
3: Honomieru Shounen
4: Undead Unluck
5: Ayakashi Triangle
6: Mashle
7: Jujutsu Kaisen
8: Agravity Boys
9: Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen
10: Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
11: Hakaishin Magu-chan
12: Black Clover
13: Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
14: Dr. Stone
15: Boku to Roboco
16: Koukousei Kazoku
17: Shinrin Ouja Moriking
18: Bokura no Ketsumei

Chainsaw-man went full psychological. With all this madness, it's a good time for a chapter of reflexion. It really was interesting to read. Boku no Hero Academia revealed what everyone knew, but it was nice to have an official confirmation. Something I really enjoy about Honomieru Shounen it's its pacing. Not rushed, but not really slow and always have a page for all those meme-material faces.

Ayakashi Triangle really surprised me this week. When I knew that Yabuki was gonna start a new series, I hoped it was a battle manga like Black Cat. And, actually, this chapter had exactly what I wanted. Both Shirogane and Suzu were useful and it wasn't only Matsuri everytime. Even if it's not that high in my ranking this week, Shakunetsu no Niraikanai had some good revelations. I like its serious tone more than the comedy. Neverthless, I think everything is now pretty much conected. Both the characters backgroun and the main plot of the series. It made me think it can be already preparing to wrap up.

Now, about something... not that good, Bokura no Ketsumei had another bad chapter. Your typical backstory, more or less out of nowhere, plain and boring. The only think I can like about this series is the art. Even if it's just my opinion, I can't enjoy Boku to Roboco's jokes. That comedy isn't my cup of tea and the only think I like about it most of the times is how good are Motsuo and Gachigorilla. If I want Roboco to survive, is because those two deserve the world. Best bullies.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Chainsaw Man had one of its best chapters this week IMO, it really delivered. Mashle also had a nice chapter, concluding the arc and setting up some things for the future. UU really breaking the 4th wall here lol.

Cop and Dolphin also delivered with the revelations here, hope it can hold up for the mean time. Magu-Chan continues to deliver wholesome content that brings a smile to my face. Yozakura also seems to be ending (or being ready to) this current arc, it’s been overall solid thus far.

Phantom Seer has been growing on me little by little, at this point is fair to not get to excited with an early CP, tho let’s see if it can hold. Ayakashi had a decent chapter, tho it felt as if suddenly Yabuki just set up a final arc lol, like I know it isn’t flopping at all but the chapter felt as if he was getting ready to wrap things up.

Looking forward to Build King next week
 

Rukasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2016
Messages
352
Reaction score
1,331
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Am I the only one who feels the last 3 chapters of Phantom Seer have been REALLY similar to each other? There are times I legitimately think I'm reading last week's chapter, especially the parts where Riku is training with the Tengus. The art is gorgeous but I wish the writing was fleshed out a little more
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,549
Reaction score
15,715
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
And finally I've checked the final GFC participant, Popo:
-What I expected: gag or romcom
-What I got: exorcist version of Yofukashi no Uta
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top