Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,383
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
What I mean is that we consider OBO dead because of the low position. So the same goes for HFS.
OBO isn't a gag series and have a normal number of pages(20). HFS have less pages that others series(even other gag series).
We talk about HFS possibility to survive and not about OBO surviving because we have cases like HFS while we never have seen a case like OBO.
I remember battle shonen having bad rankings and then improving after their first ranking and also series dropping their ranking slowly until he go to the bottom 3 (and getting axed after that) but I don't remember an action series being in last place and surviving because it have a fixed position like Jaguar.
Yeah, it could survive and HSF don't, but right now we doesn't have nothing to prove that unlike HSF that it may be(and I'm saying may because we don't know)
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
OBO isn't a gag series and have a normal number of pages(20). HFS have less pages that others series(even other gag series).
We talk about HFS possibility to survive and not about OBO surviving because we have cases like HFS while we never have seen a case like OBO.
I remember battle shonen having bad rankings and then improving after their first ranking and also series dropping their ranking slowly until he go to the bottom 3 (and getting axed after that) but I don't remember an action series being in last place and surviving because it have a fixed position like Jaguar.
Yeah, it could survive and HSF don't, but right now we doesn't have nothing to prove that unlike HSF that it may be(and I'm saying may because we don't know)
Excuse.

But it is because of this type of narrative that Moriking and Agravity boys are still alive today, even with sales falling.

I know that manga like HSF has different treatment, but this statement that it can stay on the Bottom that has no problem can also be used by other series and this through the beginning of manga that could have better sales.
 

taqzer

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
184
Reaction score
181
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Regarding HSF and it being the same as Isobe
That shouldn't be the case. I distinctly remember Isobe having gone on for around a year (at least a year I can't remember so well, might have been going for two or just less than a year) and then it had an announcement in the magazine, I think it got a colour page on that chapter as well and then lots of the author comments for that issue were congratulating the manga for getting the back spot in the mag (unranked) although they didn't exactly call it that. Also, a post discussing that event happened in the WSJ thread from that time period. Someone could go check but yeah I couldn't be bothered, but like I said I do remember it happening. As in no, I don't think I dreamed that up.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Excuse.

But it is because of this type of narrative that Moriking and Agravity boys are still alive today, even with sales falling.

I know that manga like HSF has different treatment, but this statement that it can stay on the Bottom that has no problem can also be used by other series and this through the beginning of manga that could have better sales.
It's not excuses , we are saying that one series in the bottom5 have more posibility than other because past cases.
Also Agravity and Moriking are still alive like past series like cross manage, STARS,Magico or Omagadomi Zoo survived arround 40 chapters ... They were lucky and got serialize in a good moment.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Hmmm I’m in the camp that HSF isn’t a back of the magazine protected series.
Mainly because it feels likes it’s been getting placed all over the place like any other series so far, and I’d imagine they would have sat it right at the back consistently by now if it was getting the “can’t get cancelled, survey don’t matter” treatment.

That, and it doesn’t seem like we’ve had one of those in a while. And we have a completely different EiC since Isobee started, and Nak seems to have just been having the Gags duke it out in his run. A “No gag getting the unaxeable treatment. Only the best gag wins” attitude.

A still agree that that back of the magazine isn’t as bad for it as other series. I think what matter more is how it fairs against the other gags/comedy series, in placements and sales.
 

revo68

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 21, 2018
Messages
566
Reaction score
4,120
Age
32
Country
Singapore
Not Jump related

but...

Inagaki Riichiro (Eyeshield 21; Dr. STONE) will start a new series in Shogakukan's Big Comic Superior Issue #01 (Dec 11th) titled Trillion Game with Ikegami Ryoichi (Sanctuary; Crying Freeman)

Inagaki Riichiro will be doing the story while Ikegami Ryoichi will be handling the art
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Not Jump related

but...

Inagaki Riichiro (Eyeshield 21; Dr. STONE) will start a new series in Shogakukan's Big Comic Superior Issue #01 (Dec 11th) titled Trillion Game with Ikegami Ryoichi (Sanctuary; Crying Freeman)

Inagaki Riichiro will doing the story while Ikegami Ryoichi will be handling the art
Always wondered why we didn’t see stuff like this more with Japanese mangaka.

In American Comics we see so many writers like Rick Remender writing like like 5 different comics at once. Then again I’ve seen this a bit with light Novels.

Anyway, excited to check out another Inagaki series. I wonder if we’ll every see a writer that’s writing 2 series in Jump, with different artist on each.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Hmmm I’m in the camp that HSF isn’t a back of the magazine protected series.
Mainly because it feels likes it’s been getting placed all over the place like any other series so far, and I’d imagine they would have sat it right at the back consistently by now if it was getting the “can’t get cancelled, survey don’t matter” treatment.

That, and it doesn’t seem like we’ve had one of those in a while. And we have a completely different EiC since Isobee started, and Nak seems to have just been having the Gags duke it out in his run. A “No gag getting the unaxeable treatment. Only the best gag wins” attitude.

A still agree that that back of the magazine isn’t as bad for it as other series. I think what matter more is how it fairs against the other gags/comedy series, in placements and sales.
In this gag war created by Nakano, Roboko and magu chan are the winners, with good sales with the right to reprint. So, with this scenario I see no need to have HSF (I apologize to those who like the series).
But if HSF has good sales then beauty, the series can stay in any position that the publishers want.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Hopefully those Magu-chan reprints will start restocking the shelves ASAP so it can rebuild the momentum it had when it was first released. WSJ kind of shot itself in the foot with the initial print count since the demand clearly exceeded the supply. Yozakura appears to be having stock issues as well with the drop that big.

Glad Magu-chan is out of the bottom 5, a bit surprised to see Moriking escaping as well, but good for Roboco ranking so high. Plus, sticking Yozakura's CP in between 2 highly-followed series in the magazine will hopefully help it gain some more fans.

EDIT: Magu-chan is already back down to saying it only has 15 copies left on Amazon with more coming in stock.
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
What a funny TOC.
  • Me & Roboco back up at 4th place! Nice! I wonder where it'll average out by the end of the 2020 year (likely 6th place?).
  • Seeing the last 4 series batch all doing well in one issue is surprising.
  • Magu-chan and Moriking out of the bottom 5 is pretty impressive, but the latter is definitely on the way out considering where the story is going.
  • Undead Unluck is quite low this week but obviously doesn't mean much.
  • Not sure where I stand on the High School Family argument yet if it's getting special treatment but obviously not a brilliant place to be if it isn't yet operating at Isobee levels.
  • Our Blood Oath being dead last is... not surprising. Very much feels like an U19 series.
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,383
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So Build King will not get the lead color page for chapter 2 like Toriko? I guess is a flop, Nakano isnt confident enough :derp

Yozakura color page hype, placed really high this time compared to last one. Some very surprusing jumps with Magu-chan and Moriking, imagine if Hasegawa pulls off another Spring Weapon always jumping out of the bottom when it was cancelation time, i remember always getting angry at the time kkkk.

Cop and Dolphin keeping "stable", Jump should give another color page, the only series that didnt got a color page for the volume released.

Not worried in the slightest about Kokosei, Bokura is expected with the first chapters.

I would have trade that simple cp next week for a lead in the #49, but hqppy for Black Clover
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
So I just looked at the casting for the Jujutsu Kaisen dub, and I'm absolutely having my mind blown by the fact that Yuji is being voiced by Adam McArthur. AKA the voice of Marco from Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil. It's honestly kind of surreal. Man jumped from a popular Disney show (that ended terribly) to goddamn anime.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
So I just looked at the casting for the Jujutsu Kaisen dub, and I'm absolutely having my mind blown by the fact that Yuji is being voiced by Adam McArthur. AKA the voice of Marco from Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil. It's honestly kind of surreal. Man jumped from a popular Disney show (that ended terribly) to goddamn anime.
To be completely honest I would imagine voicing for a Crunchyroll Dub of an anime is probably a lower paying gig than a Disney tv series lol
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What a funny TOC.
  • Me & Roboco back up at 4th place! Nice! I wonder where it'll average out by the end of the 2020 year (likely 6th place?).
It depends. If we're counting series that have already finished (Kimetsu no Yaiba, The Promised Neverland, Haikyuu!! and Burn the Witch), then it'll be lower, probably rounding out the top 10. If we're talking about series that are still running in the magazine, then it's 5th place as of now.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Because majority mangakas are also artist? For example
I’m talking specifically the ones that are just writers. I’m not including the ones who do art and story
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top