Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,450
Reaction score
39,331
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Time to rank Jump.

Sakamoto Days chapter 1 has been AMAZING. Probably my favorite 2020 Jump chapter 1. I think is going to fill nicely the spot Chainsawman is going to leave. Build King continues giving these strong Shimabukuro vibes. And Jujutsu Kaisen is showing the best fight in this entire year of manga for me. Holy god, this JJK chapter has been too awesome. Very good chapters for Mashle, Ayakashi Triangle, Black Clover and Undead Unluck too.

My rank this week would be:

Jujutsu Kaisen
Sakamoto Days
Mashle
Ayakashi Triangle
Black Clover
Undead Unluck
Magu-chan
One Piece
Build King
Chainsawman
Mission of Yozakura Family
We Never Learn
Honomieru Shonen
Roboco and Me
Dr.Stone
Moriking
Cop and Dolphin
Agravity Boys
Highschool Family
Our Blood Oath
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Build King’s second chapter was even better than the first. Humor, interesting world building and backstory, and an interesting addition to the main character’s arsenal.

I wonder if the main characters will use this house beast to travel to Shovel?
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
4,779
Country
Dragonstone
Sakamoto Days was great, and an improvement compared to its own one-shot. Looking forward to the next chapters!

Build King, on the other, doesn't click with me at all. The overall package is just... well, it feels very much like a "Not for me" type of series, but it seems Shimabu fans are happy, so that's nice ^^
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
if you're lucky sakamoto days can be a good substitute for chainsaw man.
Sakamoto could even have a grossover with yozakura.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Serious question: why is the coreography in Jujutsu Kaisen manga so good? For me JJK is probably the Shonen Jump manga with the best battle coreography. And I'm not meaning the current roster, I'm meaning all Jump history.

What would be your favorite Jump manga regarding battle coreography? For me is JJK, but not conting it I'd say probably Kenshin
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Sakamoto Days was fantastic. Really lived up to my personal hype which was already quite high.
Ghost Reaper Girl was also so great. So many people sleeping on it and it's such a shame.

Also, wtf is going on in Dragon Ball Super? Goku now has a giant mech form? Giant mech battles against giant angel beings could be a neat direction for the series to take if that is what's being teased.

Top 10 would be
Sakamoto Days
Undead x Unluck
Ghost Reaper Girl
Ayakashi Triangle
Mashle
Chainsaw Man
Magu-chan
Jujutsu Kaisen
Dragon Ball Super
Black Clover
 
Last edited:

evielynn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Messages
104
Reaction score
300
Age
26
Country
United Kingdom
Top 5 this week would probably be:

UU: Andy is such a cool character, and this mini-arc is shaping up to make him so much more deep as well. Very hype
JJK: Speaking of hype, Jesus Christ Akutami just doesn't miss.
Mashle: Finally a new arc starting, very interested to see where this goes.
Sakamoto: I actually really liked this, pretty much what I expected it to be. Curious as to where the series goes as a serialization though.
BC: Nacht really did save this series for me. Ever since his introduction it's gone back to it's old level of quality after so long in boring fights.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Sakamoto sure was a fun read, it was as crazy as one would expect from the previews and the one shot. Has lots of potential to where it can take the story, definitely one of my favorites from this year
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Sakamoto Days was extremely good, as an aside. It’s basically John Wick in manga form, and I’m perfectly okay with that.
I admittedly never saw John Wick, but I’ve always had the feeling the manga was heavily influenced by Hollywood flicks.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I admittedly never saw John Wick, but I’ve always had the feeling the manga was heavily influenced by Hollywood flicks.
Basically, John Wick is about an assassin (the most feared in the world) who retires after he falls in love with a woman. He’s brought out of retirement through a set of circumstances and the movies are him vs. the world’s assassin organization. Each movie raises the stakes and the action gets more and more crazy.

Sakamoto is using a similar premise, but obviously more lighthearted.
 

Radagast92

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2013
Messages
117
Reaction score
269
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Sakamoto Days was really fun, a solid 7 for the first chapter. I hope it will remain entertaining.
Instead, i really dislked second chapter of Build King. I don't find any interesting aspect about it's story, characters and world.
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
621
Reaction score
1,690
Age
40
Country
Italy
When we get chapters on Friday, I never know if I should be happy because of early release or sad because the wait for next week will be longer. Anyway:

1. Magu-chan: God of Destruction: I'm amazed on how this can quickly turn from boring filler to chapter of the week. The clueless three gods exploring the "adult nightlife" were really funny and we also got a bit of character development out of this. Nice going!
2. Undead Unluck: This flashback arc is looking promising, it will be an harsh experience for both Andy and Fuuko. But we are still at chapter 41, so I think some important revelations will be left for later on.
3. Build King: I enjoyed this chapter much more than the first. I got the feeling that a wacky adventure is about to start!
4. Mashle: It did everything the way it always does: arrogant magicians blabber about the what's right in the world, Mash answers on the lines of "so what?", and then an amazing feat of strength is displayed. But the new character may help to escape the status quo, and his "companions" look at least interesting, so let's hope for the best.
5. Me & Roboco: I don't think I have ever shipped a fictional couple as much as Akane and Gorilla. Don't give up, fight for your love!
6. Jujutsu Kaisen: Got a bit confused by this chapter's pace, but maybe it is because of the break of last week.
7. Sakamoto Days: I can't say it got me hyped like with most of you, but it surely showed an interesting premise that can go in any direction from here. Supermarket daily life or organized crime madness? Depending on the execution I may enjoy both.
8. Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin: Our character is finally motivated and his companions are still as absurd as ever! And they live in a fancy mansion now. I'll keep loving this even if I'll remain the last man on Earth (and sorry, HBC&D is still my favourite chapter 1 of the year).
9. Moriking: First time I found it funny since a while. Then I found it gross. And then funny again. Won't hold my breath for a winning streak.
10. Dr. Stone: And now for the "Long series transitional chapters round". First act: science bros doing cool science things (the motorcycles look awesome anyway).
11. One Piece: Second act: people run like crazy and tens of different situations are shown. At this point I would prefer a chapter interely focused on a single fight, even if extremely minor.
12. Chainsaw Man: Third act: fast setup for crazier things to happen. A very fast reading that left me asking for more...just because I felt I got nothing.
13. High School Family: Interlude. Is it a problem if I think that as a spokon this is way more interesting than as a comedy manga?
14. Black Clover: Final act: The good old training arc. Hey, I know who these guys from the first pages are! My binge reading is paying off! Apart from that, I am not that much captured from this arc and I hope for more juicy things to come.
15. Phantom Seer: The fight is resolved but somehow this didn't leave me really satisfied. Maybe it is because I think the phantom shouldn't have survived the battle.
16. Ayakashi Triangle: We returned to the ecchi antics, as I expected. So you get low rankings again, but don't think I didn't notice your improvements!
17. Mission: Yozakura Family: When it returns to comedy, it never shines but it can get funny enough to forget that we have pulled the brakes. This week it was not the case.
18. Our Blood Oath: A fight happened, I don't care about any party involved and I still think humans wouldn't react to the existence of "friendly" monsters the way they do in this manga. Such a mess.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Sakamoto Days's first chapter was interesting. The art is a bit rough, but it made up with some nice storytelling and comedy. Build King's second chapter, on the other hand, felt like a downgrade from the first one. I liked the additional lore regarding the buildings but I still don't care about the characters (art wise and personality wise) and the comedy was really a miss. It became more childish but not in a positive way. So far, changing it from the one shot hasn't felt like the best choice as that one was more interesting.

Yozakura had a really fun chapter this week, the whole thing was enjoyable from beginning to end (and Taiyou is very adorable). Mashle's chapter was fun as well, I'm very interested in the Divine Visionaries now and their role in the story. Honomieru Shounen wrapped this mini arc up nicely, there's quite a few things that I like about the series but Iori and Aibetsu's dynamics surely is the cherry on top. Undead Unluck's chapter made me sad with its last pages, I like the series more when it makes me empathize with its characters. I also have to be honest, I actually enjoyed this week's Shakunetsu chapter, the jokes landed for me and I can definitely relate to that specific situation.

Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man didn't really do it for me this week. There was a specific moment in Jujutsu that got me emotional but aside from that I am more excite for next week's chapter.
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Just like everyone else here I thoroughly enjoyed Sakamoto Days. What a fun first chapter - great action with a nice balance of humour to it. I liked that Sakamoto barely said anything, that should be a fun character trait. Can definitely see the series filling that Chainsaw Man gap once it has to leave us. Speaking of, Chainsaw Man was solid once again, but it did feel like we were all waiting for this 1v1, so next week should be the beginning of the full on emotional blitz-fest.

Three series this week possibly had my favourite chapters so far. Me & Roboco did a stellar job in introducing yet another nice addition to the cast with Akane Urahara (she's got a really effortlessly cool design). Anytime Gorilla gets the spotlights it's great, especially fleshing out that he's not the bully he seems at first. The moments of romance and interpretations of Gorilla and Bondo's scenes were hilarious. The Tsuyu reference also gave me a chuckle, as did the boys reading Chainsaw Man/Ayakashi Triangle. Great chapter all around, can't wait to see more of Akane. Mashle really drew me in with the Divine Visionaries entering the story; Mash was as cool as always this week but seeing the 'Captains' of the series in that final double spread was so very appreciated and gives me hopes for the long-term future of the series. Even Ayakashi Triangle continues to impress! It's nothing amazing but I liked the shift in focus to romance rather than ecchi, even if it's not going to last. At least now I know the series can be solid when it doesn't drown itself in fanservice.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin, Agravity Boys, and Mission: Yozakura Family all had comedic chapters that either wrapped up or gently nudged in the direction of another more serious story arc. Didn't love any in particular but they were all fine. On the other hand, Magu-chan was notably more fun than usual this week thanks to the focus on the non-human characters. I've found that's where I enjoy the series most.

Dr. Stone and We Never Learn continue to disappoint with their current stories, even if they're not terrible. Our Blood Oath managed to keep its pace steady this week but the content wasn't anything memorable. I'm wondering if I should bother re-reading Toriko because I'm getting the same vibes as I did back then with Build King right now, which is this is absolutely not my kind of thing. Nothing works from me, from the art, to the weird rounded flashback panelling, to the character designs and their sense of humour. Also, I can't get over how silly the world is despite the characters taking it serious... they're just... buildings. Is everything really going to twist the story so that a building is at he centre of everything? I mean obviously it is but I don't know if I'm ever gonna be invested in that idea not matter how Shimabukuro sells it.

Also, shout out to High School Family for that Your Name reference. I could see it coming in the page leading up to the stairs.

My ranking of the chapters compared to last week:
  1. (+6) Me & Roboco
  2. (NEW) Sakamoto Days
  3. (+3) Mashle
  4. (-3) One Piece
  5. (-3) Chainsaw Man
  6. (-1) Undead Unluck
  7. (-3) Phantom Seer
  8. ( - ) Black Clover
  9. (+4) Jujutsu Kaisen
  10. ( - ) Ayakashi Triangle
  11. (-2) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku
  12. (-4) Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin
  13. (-1) Agravity Boys
  14. (-3) Mission: Yozakura Family
  15. ( - ) Dr. Stone
  16. (-2) We Never Learn
  17. (+3) Magu-chan: God of Destruction
  18. (-1) Our Blood Oath
  19. (-3) Build King
  20. (-2) Moriking
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Sakamoto is basically Jump's version of Gokushufudou and The Fable
the first chapter was so entertaining & went by fast
curious to see what will happen when the character in the LCP shows up

Build King is a Toriko 2.0, for better or worse
the first chapter had everything I liked about Toriko in it, the second chapter had the stuff I didn't like, the toilet humor is back, the never ending infodumps are back
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
To nobody's surprise, Yozakura had a gag chapter to cool down from the previous arc. While I did like to see the family again, I didn't really care for this chapter and the gag wasn't very fun, albeit pretty cute

Agravity was meh, the resolution to the arc felt rushed and now it looks like it's shifting to endgame mode, will probably end with CSM/WNL around new years

Undead was great, I'm loving this arc already and the ending was really good, even if we only know some of these characters for just a chapter

Mashle was pretty good, I'm interested in these new characters

Moriking was alright, it's been better than the previous arc which is good, a shame it's too late for the series though

Ayakashi was good, I liked this arc so here's hoping things keep going up from here

Magu was pretty good, one of it's best in a while. A bit light on the gags but I really liked Magu and Uneras's conversation

Dolphin was okay, felt a bit all over the place but the main gag was at least decent

Roboco was great, Gachigorilla best boy

Phantom was pretty good, I liked how this arc resolved and look forward to what's next

HSF was okay, this is the first time that I felt a chapter felt shorter than it should have been, but it wasn't bad

Blood Oath continues to be bad and directionless, I don't care at all for the antagonist here

Build King was alright, felt a bit awkward setting things up but I like Nana for the most part

Sakamoto was great, I really loved how so much is conveyed without Sakamoto talking nearly at all

OP and JJK were both great this week. Mafuyu route looks on track to be better than at least Rizu and Fumino, but nowhere near Ashumi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top