I can't see it doing well. As someone already said, when AoT, FT and 7DS were running, they stood a better chance and even then it's iffy. Some of Kodansha's manga are on Crunchyroll and you can see Crunchyroll's top manga:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga
None of Kodansha's stuff look...
I'd add that thematically, a "Jump-style" harem (or just the love triangle) is the symbolic struggle of choosing between the "old" (represented by the familiar comfort of the childhood friend) and the "new" (represented by the flashy new girl). In most of these cases, the male MC eventually...
Great points. Love Hina definitely introduced (or at least popularized) lots of now standard shonen harem tropes, especially studying and the "mystery girl".
I'd still consider Love Hina a "Magazine-style" harem, despite having some "Jump-style" elements like having a main love triangle within...
It's interesting how much this resembles Love Hina (down to the MC going to Tokyo U plotline). If you look at the most successful shonen harems, the two most common archetypes are:
"Magazine-style" (Love Hina, QQ, etc)
- Entire harem introduced chapter 1
- Harem all know each other from the...
The theory is that KnY's unprecedented success brought in a massive, new group of non-traditional manga readers who are open to something similar, especially after KnY ended. The main evidence is JJK's absurd backlog sales that have it on track to be another unprecedented hit (its sales are...
Thanks for explaining. Orient's sales seem really underwhelming thus far (and because of the mangaka, this is not some under-the-radar series), so I'm skeptical of its potential and would call it a success if it can reach Fire Force level with an anime. The big wildcard though is whether there's...
I'm mostly baffled by how Komi-san still doesn't have an anime yet, as they really wasted a golden opportunity ~2 years ago before the flood of newer romcoms stole its thunder. Hopefully they'll learn with Frieren, but I don't even know anymore.
I'm honestly impressed by how well Magazine's kept itself together despite losing a lot of its top series and not having a true flagship anywhere.
I'm curious where this confidence in Orient comes from. Orient bigger than Revengers?
They need to axe a bunch of the veteran stuff that nobody seems to care about. I don't know what kind of deal Sunday have with them, but it's crazy to have stuff like Daiku no Hatou around when v8 isn't even charting.
I mean they overprinted Sensei no Bulge iirc which was a flop, which is why they scaled back for MHA. It's often hard for Shueisha to know exactly how much demand there is for a first volume.
This is an interesting claim to make, but is it true? I initially agreed, but then realized that Attack on Titan can sell 1.5 million per volume in a year (more than half of One Piece), but Bessatsu Shonen Magazine has a circulation of only 57k. While One Piece is best selling manga, it also has...
I don't know. If a series sells poorly initially but still has good reception (like KnY and Act-age more recently), Jump keeps them around. If a series sells poorly AND has poor reception to its premise, then it just seems like a waste to keep them around. Having a manga go 5+ volumes (and...
I guess I just meant that they need to run even more than they have already. I assume getting into Sunday is still competitive (and that the magazine hasn't completely lost all its allure) so they should start identifying talented female mangaka (or male mangaka that can draw hot guys) and just...
The point for Jujutsu and Gotoubun is that they prove that both genres are big sellers. Maybe Sunday doesn't need to go for a copy of Jujutsu or Gotoubun per se, but at least continue its own legacy in those genres. Hayate and TWGOK were both harem successes for Sunday a decade ago and Magi...