MangaHelpers

Demonspeed
Demonspeed
Sadly I don't know much about pastry :sweatdrop.
Crescent Jinx
Crescent Jinx
Am on a diet! And the more you diet, the more you think of things you can’t have!!!! :arf Not sure if I should be impressed or horrified with Demon not knowing much about pasties.
Crescent Jinx
Crescent Jinx
@Juviii, @Takuan, @Erinyes
Why is a French Beignet called a Portuguese doughnuts?

Because they don’t look 👀 the same to me unless you broaden the category to any fried dough dipped in various sugars. Then churros, beignets, zeppole, and doughnuts are all the same. Your thoughts?
Juviii
Juviii
I think it also has to do with how popular it is in the country but I don't get it either.
Takuan
Takuan
I have absolutely no idea :true
GrySun
GrySun
Just eat churros :gaw
Erinyes
Erinyes
well, not sure about it but i guess its based on equivalence, likely based on some cultural reference (could be a Portuguese recipe is similar to this). but beignet in French is a more generic word can be applied to a lot of fried dough stuff could be salted too :
Crescent Jinx
Crescent Jinx
Drinking hot chocolate with your churros is the only appropriate way to eat them.
Erinyes
Erinyes
this is the traditional beignet



buth those are beignets too :



Crescent Jinx
Crescent Jinx
@Erinyes so some overlap between the two could have given rise to the nickname?
Crescent Jinx
Crescent Jinx


Here are our beignets
Crescent Jinx
Crescent Jinx
Hmmm I guess the traditional ones look more like a doughnut. I wonder if something Portuguese looks similar.
Erinyes
Erinyes
yep. or cultural similitudes or both.
Erinyes
GrySun
GrySun
We all should think about churros more often
  • Like
Reactions: Lambu
Juviii
Juviii
@Crescent Jinx I think I got it. New Orleans beignets look similar to our "sonhos" which are a Christmas traditional cake in Portugal. Churros are usually filled with something and have different shape.
Crescent Jinx
Crescent Jinx


Those do look yummy @Juviii. :gaw:gaw:gaw:gaw So the the similar appearance made people think of sonhos. Sounds legit. Seems the mystery is solved. Beignet being a generalized fried description and sonhos being the things that remind people of how we cook the beignets.
Lambu
Lambu
Ok, even I have to say watching all those images when on a diet is not healthy at all :cookiearf
Crescent Jinx
Crescent Jinx
Copy Panda
Copy Panda
hah very funny Jinxie :lmao
Top