Shounen Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium



Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta
Use this link to search for raws, translations and Edited Mangas easily!
Series begins in WSJ 2009 #12 (release date 22 Feb 2010 )

About the series:
Utsuru Sanada is a professional photographer at the age of 17, he can guess the exact 3 sizes of any girl, he can memorize anything he sees, and he can counterattack karate moves (Most guys would want these abilities). Why? Because he has superb photographic memory called “Shutter Eye” (Shutter as in the shutter of a camera). He meets Niko Kurihara, the female protagonist, who dislikes men, is a master of martial arts, and is of course beautiful.

One-shot:
Utsuru attempts to prove to Niko that he is not the guy she thinks he so he can take a picture of her. He starts by investigating Niko’s friend’s date, who appears to be a deceiving guy according to rumors……
Filled with action, comedy, and a little ecchi, "Lock on!" makes its debut in Shonen Jump! [s1o2r3a4]

Serialization:
Utsuru wants to wants to convince Niko to let him photograph her while she's smiling and possibly even recruit her for a magazine! But in order to do that, he must first convince her that not all men are wolves. Niko's friendly and popular childhood friend Yuki also wants to help Niko get along with boys, so she arranges a welcome party for Utsuru and all of their classmates at an amusement park! What will happen when Niko decides to loosen up and give associating with boys one more chance? Will Utsuru the "****** cameraman" ever be able to get permission to take pictures of her?

About the Author:
N/A
 
Last edited by a moderator:

unok-kun

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
769
Reaction score
434
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

Well, the oneshot looked interesting. I haven't taken a look at the raw for the first chapter yet, but I'm going to scanlate it.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

I just read the first chapter, and I think it is good as one shot. But, I kind have a feeling like Lock On meant to replace Ane Doki for romantic comedy's place. I think Lock On might going to be romantic comedy series.
 

TemplateR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
883
Reaction score
244
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

Well this one shot is interessting. But I don´t think so, that this manga will be in series.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

Thought it was pretty bland, to be honest. Might check out the translation but I doubt it'd be something I follow.
 

fizban

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
543
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

The characters in the one-shot are pretty generic, but it is set in a school setting so that isn't really the worst thing. We already have a way to distinguish the lead character from the other guys. I am interested to see how the concept of the shutter eye will work in a longer series (if it lasts more than one volume)
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

Maybe I'm asking too much for just one chapter, but I want to other poeple's opinion on main focuse of Lock On going to be. Honestly, I'm not really sure what series is heading to. If chapter 2 is similar to chapter 1, then I'm not sure thise series will last long.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

Well, for one thing this is WAYYYY better than Ane-doki! It has the action genre, & yes it's not completely over-the-top kind of manga. Shutter eye is just the author's version of photographic memory. & it makes sense. There are 4 (or 5) people in this world who is exactly the same as the protagonist. (Although they're not photographers & martial artists) if one of those people took up the photographer profession (or martial artist) you can bet that person'll turn out exactly be the same as the protagonist.
 

theshrewedshrew

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 19, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

So, I like the idea. I mean this is a pretty complex character romantic/comedy type manga. And I honestly am torn that Ane Doki is canceled, and kind of wanted just a little bit different of an ending but it is what I wanted.

So Lock On! I had heard about it not to long ago being released and after reading over it once, i came up with this. Its kind of a Ranma 1/2 characteristics of Akane Tendo, in the thorn, right off the bat she says men are all wolves, and she sticks by it. It doesnt do some cheesy scene with her telling her friend and her friend being saved by the two of them. It does exactly what I see Akane doing in that situation, meeting the problem head on...

Its actually a great setting for the story a school, I mean he could be in the journalism, or yearbook, or even just a general photography committee.

I think the fact that while he likes all the other girls, the fact he pays attention to the thorn is pretty interesting, and I like how he says your the perfect size.

I love the eye patch, because ive seen it used in a couple of different mangas now and every time i see it, it just gets better and better, an eye patch main character just makes me more interested.

And the fact that its not the camera he worships but the memories is shown clear when he throws his camera to save the girl.


I mean all in all, I hope it at least gets 20 more publications, because im neeeding something to tide me over in story progression. and i think this series if the plot progresses the right way will be intriguing and engaging for a large audience. Plus i love the title.
 

~†Ale†~

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Messages
97
Reaction score
35
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

It seems interesting. I hope only if it doesn't finish early like Kanata or Kagijin...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

Honestly: not impressed. Generic characters; a tsundere, a shady guy with a heart of gold. Really? In shonen? The plot has potential but at least in the one shot was to stiff. The art was generic. I'll give the serialization a try just to see if improvements are made. Some stories need more than one chapter to work. Maybe this is one. Still, I'm expecting next to nothing.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

I'm feeling the same as Kaiten. Not impressed with the oneshot. I do hope the series is better because I want some good new Jump series to come out. Haven't seen a real good one in a while.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

Lock On! 1
Hmm.... I liked the oneshot better.... it didn't feel as strong as the oneshot... I'll still give it a try though...
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

I loved the the first chapter.I guess it was mainly because of the characters,especially Sanada.I can totally sympathize with him and it feels like i would be the main character:XD
But seriously,everything he says and does,i can sympathize with.

Definitly going to follow this manga.
 

LilaChan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
568
Reaction score
100
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

The first chapter is better then the one shot by miles. The jokes are placed in the right place, and it was an enjoyable read. Not sure whether it can be kept up to this level. So the female lead is an other tsundere charcter? I hope Tsuchida would be able to write her less as a stereotypical tsundere, they get boring quite easily. The male lead is interesting, his geassshutter eye could be develope for different purposes. I'm waiting for a rival that has similar abilities.

The art feels really bland, Tsuchida would probably be able to keep up with it. Although I think more art shifts and weirdo-chibi would probably help, since there are too much 'dull shocks'. And...where's the background?

Overall, decent start, has alot of potential. But nothing about it left me a strong impression (good or bad).

Eye patch of power is indeed eye patch of power.
 

Sawako-Chan

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
105
Reaction score
32
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

Well i liked better of the one-shot... the first chapter was too stiff... we still need to see how the will go for now on...if this become a romantic serie i'm going to be really pissed..
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

This is going to be axed in less than 20 weeks. On a bright note, I'm glad that there'll be some bottom fodder in the meantime to bump my favorite series up.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

I think we should wait for little bit more chapters to come out. Maybe, it can get better on chapter 2 and so forth.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

I came into this series with literally no expectations and I now only expect it to get axed. Which I am perfectly fine with.

I honestly can not think of many redeeming qualities about this. The art is mediocre so even if it tried to go the fan service route, it wouldn't be anything special.

If it wants to be a romantic comedy, well I found nothing in this first chapter that was funny and the romance was pretty generic. Looks like it will rely on typical tropes. lol Tsundere who also happens to do a martial art of some sort. How many times have I seen that? -____-

There isn't any character here that stands out. Not even the main character. Eye powers are some of the most overused in manga and he is the typical pervert that chases after girls.

It could get better, but I don't particularly care if it does. If it happens to be one of those instant rejections I won't be surprised.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: [NEW] Lock-on! by TSUCHIDA Kenta

I, personally, think chapter 2 is better than chapter 1. But, I think Lock On! still needs something distinction from other similar genre series, like characteristics of main heroin (there are too many female characters like Niko on other mangas).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top