Shounen Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall

Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
By : Asou Shuuichi
Genre : Comedy, Shounen, Supernatural
Serialized in : Weekly Shounen Jump

Saiki Kusuo has a wide array of superpowers at his command, including telepathy and telekinesis. This might sound awesome, but, in Kusuo's experience, superpowers are not all they're cracked up to be. He tries to live a normal life, despite his annoying abilities.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I was not a fan of Hero Studies or Seven Change, but chapter one of Psi was very good. The jokes were funny, the premise was good, and well paced. Kusou's bitterness towards his abilities made me laugh, especially when he listed all the ways been a psychic stunk.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Been looking forward to reading this

First chapter did not disappoint.
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yesssss. Glad the series has a thread now!
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

I have read a similar series once (honestly, forgot the name of the manga) in which a boy tried to live a normal life with school and family and was rather annoyed that he had esp powers. Then a girl out of space comes to earth because she needs his help to save her home planet.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

This manga is hilarious for sure. The first chapter left such a strong impression on me when I read it back then, probably only slightly below AssClass in terms of fun. I really enjoyed how the manga at first looks serious with all the explanations about Psy power owned by Kusuo. Now let's see how the story going to develop, whether it's gonna be Kusuo looking for a meaning in life ( which I'm pretty sure won't happen :p) or just random bizzare caused by his power.
 

MangaPage

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Messages
81
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

Chapter 1 was good, and probably the next ones will be too. It's not the kind of manga I would love but it is enjoyable and very good for its genre. The plot doesn't seem too limited and Kusuo hating his powers can bring in good humor. One thing I noticed is that apart from Kusuo (and his parents), there weren't any main characters introduced. Generally, in this kind of manga we get to see other kids or something in the first chapter, I don't think it won't involve any other students and will be just Kusuo and his parents as recurring characters. Anyway, it's nothing important at all, I was just wondering if there will be other permanent characters. I'm looking forward to the random bizarre, like Doraku said.
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

One thing I noticed is that apart from Kusuo (and his parents), there weren't any main characters introduced. Generally, in this kind of manga we get to see other kids or something in the first chapter, I don't think it won't involve any other students and will be just Kusuo and his parents as recurring characters. Anyway, it's nothing important at all, I was just wondering if there will be other permanent characters. I'm looking forward to the random bizarre, like Doraku said.
There are about... 4 recurring characters Saiki is forced to endure. Technically one of them already appeared in chapter 1, though they won't become a regular until later. The others are introduced in chapters 2, 3 and 6.

The recurring characters are:

Nendou Riki - a complete and utter idiot. No, really. Saiki states that Nendou's mind is the only one he can't read, because it's empty. Introduced in chapter 2.
Kaidou Shun - a student convinced that he has superpowers and is fighting against a secret evil organization. He's actually a coward, though he doesn't show it outwardly. Introduced in chapter 3.
Hairo Kineshi - a hot-blooded sports nut. He has a tendency to trip and land in such a way that his pants fall down. Introduced in chapter 6.
Teruhashi Kokomi - a pretty girl who receives attention wherever she goes. She becomes interested in Saiki because he's the only guy who doesn't come onto her. Introduced in chapter 1, but becomes a recurring character in chapter 13.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

Hum I was not that much in fathe-mother love hate relationship. But the setup can be interesting so I wait for the other characters to be introduced

---------- Post added October 10, 2012 at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was October 08, 2012 at 05:37 AM ----------

I eenjoyed this second chapter more. Well stupid guys always make funny character but the 'so stupid that I can't read his mind' works great.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

I have read a similar series once (honestly, forgot the name of the manga) in which a boy tried to live a normal life with school and family and was rather annoyed that he had esp powers. Then a girl out of space comes to earth because she needs his help to save her home planet.
First time i quote myself^^
The premise kind of reminded me of this http://myanimelist.net/manga/13448/Psycho_Staff
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi



Just realize that Psi Kusuo's Lead color page is really funny, I hope Ms. Lynxian would kindly enough to translate Kusuo's narration for us. :hee

As for 2nd chapter, I agree with k-dom, the new character is stupidly entertaining.
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi



Just realize that Psi Kusuo's Lead color page is really funny, I hope Ms. Lynxian would kindly enough to translate Kusuo's narration for us. :hee

As for 2nd chapter, I agree with k-dom, the new character is stupidly entertaining.
<o/ No problem!

Weekly Shounen Jump. Launched in 1968, it is Japan's number 1 manga magazine, boasting the highest number of copies printed at 6,570,000. My name is Saiki Kusuo. First of all, I'd like to apologize. It's hard to buy a magazine with a cover like this one, and I am very sorry for that. I'm sure when everyone heard that this manga would have the cover and lead color, it was a real shock. How did they come up with that? Is the editorial department serious? Was it decided by Buddha? When I searched google for [Asou Shuuichi], appearing in the third result was "just what sort of weakness is he holding over the editor-in-chief?", but is that really the case? Still, there is only one thing I'd like to say: I am the one most surprised by all of this.

--------

I actually googled his name out of curiosity and sure enough, the third result is a blog post that says exactly what he mentioned on that opening page. XD As for why the cover would make buying this issue hard, well... it features three of the main cast dancing.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

For those who didn't see the cover:
http://imgbox.com/abrE2Kuq

I must say I really like it when I saw it.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

the website he mentions on the colour page now appears to be the #1 result on google. Talk about killing your own gag by having it be so damn good, huh
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

I will read next chapter for sure but it's not because I fear the judgement night of thunder :-)
 

shukketsumaru

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
376
Reaction score
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

The series is amusing, but the main characters boredom rubs off on me and makes me bored while reading.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Re: [New] Saiki Kusuo no Sainan by Asou Shuuichi

Kusuo is really surrounded by idiots :XD

Too bad that Kusuo action exacerbates Shun's Chu-2 Byo disease. it's pretty hilarious chapter, but I still prefer the previous one. Still, it's nice to see some dramatic elements in this manga :p
 

Juin Jutsu Team

Intl Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
172
Reaction score
408
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
raw lq of chapter 30 & 31: HERE

---------- Post added at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

raw lq chapter 32: HERE
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
The fifth chapter is fun :XD, I hope that this new girl appears again later on. Honestly I'm wondering why Saiki is only surrounded by idiots, if I were his friend, I'd be able to notice that something's wrong with him by looking at his head. I'm looking forward for the Edited Manga to catch up, so I could be more convinced that this manga should be on the top of the TOC.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
The fifth chapter is fun :XD, I hope that this new girl appears again later on.
You have your answer in one of the spoiler post before...
Honestly I'm wondering why Saiki is only surrounded by idiots, if I were his friend, I'd be able to notice that something's wrong with him by looking at his head.
Because clever people are funny only if they are surrounded by idiots. The other solution is to have only idiots... Also I don't think his appendices are visible by normal people. I wonder if another psi guy will make his appearance someday.
I'm looking forward for the Edited Manga to catch up, so I could be more convinced that this manga should be on the top of the TOC.
So far I think it is quite deserved, at least it doesn't deserve to be cancelled.
 
Top