About Chrollo's Tattoo | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

About Chrollo's Tattoo

Dlagam

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering if there is a resemblance between Chrollo, Bara, and Sub's tattoo
If you look at them closely they all have a design resembling a torch or a brush.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
One is a cross, the other a trident. The trident because the Bomber is three people (Points in the trident). The cross because Togashi plays a bit with Judas/Jesus imagery (Even the amount of member of the Phantom Troupe reinforces this)

Anyway, welcome! Hope you enjoy this forum

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Given the bomb connection, it wouldn't surprise me if Sub's bat-shaped tattoo is a small nod to (YYH) Karasu's Tracer Eyes.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The color of characters' hair represent the duality: Yang/White hair and Yin/Black Hair

Chrollo and Tsezugera=Black Hair (Yin) and similar hairstyle
Hisoka and Genthru=White hair (Yang) and a similar hairstyle (with Hisoka and Genthru both psychopaths and enemies of Gon)
1) Hisoka vs Chrollo
I usually agree with your insights, but the whole Ying Yang theory seems too forced to me.
Stop trying to make Ying Yang happen (?

JK, but I really don't think it's Togashi intention and it's more like just building complex characters.

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
It is a little difficult and long to explain, however, I try to give you an exhaustive response.

The Tattoo on Chrollos forehead is the Sun Cross because Chrollo represents the Sun and the 12 members of Genei Ryodan are the 12 Months (For example Uvo-November in the prophecy, 11 the number of the spider tattoo). Ther 12 months revolution of Earth around the Sun in a Year
Chrollo-Jesus (The sun) and the 12 members of the Ryodan (12 apostles/12 months/12 Zodiac signs, as said in the prophecy).
There is a symbolic meaning in relation to these characters:
  • Gensuru and Sub and Bara vs Tsezugera
  • Chrollo and Genei Ryodan Members vs Hisoka
The color of characters' hair represent the duality: Yang/White hair and Yin/Black Hair

Chrollo and Tsezugera=Black Hair (Yin) and similar hairstyle
Hisoka and Genthru=White hair (Yang) and a similar hairstyle (with Hisoka and Genthru both psychopaths and enemies of Gon)
1) Hisoka vs Chrollo

2) Genthru vs Tsezugera
Similarities:
Chrollo has a Black trenchcoat with a Reversed Cross
Genthru have a White trenchcoat with a Normal Cross

They are similar but reversed:
Part 1:
-Chrollo with the Sun Cross on his forehead
-Hisoka with the Star and Tear Tattoos (Mask of Comedy and Mask of Tragedy)
Part 2:
-Chrollo and Hisoka have both tattoos but Genei Ryodan members don't have tattoos
-Genthru and Tsezugera don't have tattoos but Sub and Bara have tattoos

Genthru with Sub and Bara (Criminals/Thieves) is similar to Hisoka (or Chrollo) with Genei Ryodan members (Criminals/Thieves)
Sub (White hair/Yang) and Bara (Black hair/Yin) Tattoos are like Sun and Moon (of Chrollo), Yang and Yin.
A bit forced. But yes writers use such ideologies within their work. I don’t think it’s as interconnected as you try to link together. But of course there are many elements there

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
About the relation between religions, Togashi tends to be more direct about it and put symbols together. And He tends to not repeat those, I assume because it bores him.

I would be more likely to accept a Yin Yang relation with characters that are based in Hinduism more directly. Just having a goatee or black hair doesn't say much, mostly because hair color in anime has a more wide usage (Red for more passionate characters, yellow for energetic, etc. I swear I saw a video about it and now I can't find it)

So for me, all of those connections are meaningless unless the actual concept of the characters uses a set of other references.