Discussion - Ban | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Ban

Shadowlord123

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
He was already in perfect condition when he fought the DK. What he didn't use tho, were his Snatch abilities to steal power, which is arguably what made him truly dangerous back in the day. If he was already able to compete with DK Mel (while restricted) to some extent without his main dangerous abilities, I wonder how much stronger could he get by using abilities like Hunter Fest. Couple that with the fact the he still needs to recover his Sacred Treasure. Honestly, I can see Prime Ban (before he lost his immortality) giving the Gods at 50% a run for their money taking into account all those factors. Of course I still think they'd win if they don't have any restrictions. I don't know, maybe I'm just a huge fanboy, but Ban is just too damn broken in my eyes.

Samael Morningstar

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
India
He was already in perfect condition when he fought the DK. What he didn't use tho, were his Snatch abilities to steal power, which is arguably what made him truly dangerous back in the day. If he was already able to compete with DK Mel (while restricted) to some extent without his main dangerous abilities, I wonder how much stronger could he get by using abilities like Hunter Fest. Couple that with the fact the he still needs to recover his Sacred Treasure. Honestly, I can see Prime Ban (before he lost his immortality) giving the Gods at 50% a run for their money taking into account all those factors. Of course I still think they'd win if they don't have any restrictions. I don't know, maybe I'm just a huge fanboy, but Ban is just too damn broken in my eyes.
Well to be honest with all those abilities I'm clearly seeing ban to be a god tier and in the same level as DK and SD at their 100℅

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Well to be honest with all those abilities I'm clearly seeing ban to be a god tier and in the same level as DK and SD at their 100℅
Well, I wouldn't go that far, lol. As much as I like Ban, him being as strong as the Gods at 100% would be absolutely bullshit. The only ones with the potential to reach that level in my opinion would be Mel (obvious), Elizabeth (as the daughter of the SD, she should have the potential to reach the level of her mother, just my speculation of course), Zeldris (another son of a God) and maybe the Mother of Chaos if the hype around her results to be legit.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
People forget that Ban has an innate ability called "Snatch".

If Nakaba wants he can give innate ability to anyone.

sobreno

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Djibouti
People forget that Ban has an innate ability called "Snatch".

If Nakaba wants he can give innate ability to anyone.
I don't think it work like that...

Innate ability is specific and unique to the individual, no one besides you have that ability that you are born with.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I don't think it work like that...

Innate ability is specific and unique to the individual, no one besides you have that ability that you are born with.
Yes and no on beside Ban has shown this ability.

That is his innate magic.

sobreno

Reaction score
Country
Djibouti
Yes and no on beside Ban has shown this ability.

That is his innate magic.
What abilities? Stealing and giving his own vital force? I know.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
What abilities? Stealing and giving his own vital force? I know.
Snatch,

if a human can have this any clan have it.But it depends upon Nakaba.

sobreno

Reaction score
Country
Djibouti
Snatch,

if a human can have this any clan have it.But it depends upon Nakaba.
What? That doesn't make any sense.

Snatch is the innate ability magic of Ban that he was born with due to his personality, experience and whatever dream he had.

Nope, they can't have it just because...

GreaterForce

Reaction score
Country
England
I wonder what Ban's Sacred Treasure Release will be.

Merlin918

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically, Ban has become the main character and replaced Meliodas and Elizabeth.

When the DK appears and reveals the Commandments are intended to possess those who use them, who's the focus of the chapter? I'd think it would be Elizabeth, and her goal of saving him. Nope:
And what does Elizabeth say to the DK? Something about her and Meliodas getting revenge for the 3000 years curse? Any kind of display of resolve whatsoever? Well...No. Not even an internal thought bubble. Instead she says this:
Like come on. Even if she refuses to ever think or say anything hateful or angry whatsoever, she seriously ASKS the guy to do something? Right as he just possessed Meliodas? Wtf? Guess that shouldn't be taken too seriously, like the rest of her character.

Chapter 302, Ban is the main person on the cover page yet again. Meanwhile we have Meliodas get a chance to talk to the Demon King. Does he say anything about him brutally killing Elizabeth with a curse 107 times and making him watch? Nope. He instead responds to the Clown-King line of 'bringing death and despair is my very duty mY vErY eXiStEnCe":

I thought his mentality was this:
Which seriously took a long time, after 107 repetitions of disasters like this:

But now Nakaba is saying that Meliodas feels basically NOTHING even when he comes face to face with Elizabeth's killer? He literally has no anger on his face in that panel whatsoever. It's like he lost all his emotions except for positive ones. Perhaps his soul took damage when he escaped Purgatory lmao and he lost all his ability to think anything but happy thoughts. It would explain why there is literally zero payoff to all the development of his character as the Sin of Wrath so far.

OK, well to be fair, Elizabeth was still alive, so maybe he somehow avoided anger because of this. However, the most absolutely jarring and ridiculous panel we get is what happens next in the mind battle.
What was Nakaba thinking here? Meliodas's reaction on all her previous deaths, even her fake 108th death, was some kind of serious outburst. It's sensible that he didn't blow everyone up on the fake death as he had control of his anger, but this panel here is absolutely ridiculous.. Meliodas just gets depressed when he hears and believes this? No way. He should have been enraged and tried to instakill the DK with his Demon Lord powers right then, like he used them in Purgatory.

Anyway, at that point, Meliodas's character is totally destroyed. So by default, he can no longer be the main character. In fact, Ban gets more enraged at the DK in the one 'You Bastard!' panel than Meliodas does throughout the entire fight, it's just a joke. In Chapter 305 as well he does this again. Even Meliodas's final line before finishing the DK is just this lame one of "I'll eNd tHiS":
He doesn't even say he will kill the DK lmao, just that he will 'end the fight'.

Part 2:Ban becomes the Main Character

At this point Nakaba just turns Ban into the MC since he gave up on Meliodas's whole character concept. All that remains is a shadow of Mel's former self, he's merely a happy-faced zombie that only knows how to smile, go 'Sate Sate Sate' and mess around even during final battles of doom. Meanwhile Ban doesn't change at all and gets key focus in his romantic relationship OVER Meliodas and Elizabeth's, lol.

Example 1, Ban does the final blow to DK-Meliodas, not bothering with a pic since it's getting repetitive.
Example 2, for most of Chapter 307, Ban is talking to Meliodas. This doesn't really make much sense compared to having Elizabeth and Meliodas have a conversation. In fact, the rest of the Sins only get only side character levels of focus here. Elizabeth gets a little more but not much.
Example 3, Chapter 308 maintains the focus on New-MC-Ban, focusing on a gross post-sex conversation between Pedo-Ban and Loli-Elaine.Ban:"bUt sHe's aCtuAllY oVeR 100"->Goes to Jail and has title changed to Sin of Pedophillia lmao.
Example 4...In the Chapter 320 scene where the Sins arrive to help Meliodas, Ban is at front and center of multiple panels including the last one. Sure seems like a main character to me.

Later on Zeldris also takes over as the new main character suddenly, but among the Sins, it's clear the main Sin focused on is Ban, not Meliodas.

TLDR:Ban is the Captain Now.

Maybe Nakaba can try to make Meliodas suddenly remember his character arc again but so far it's been pretty horribly ruined. FeelsBadMan.

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'm still laughing about the rage boost moment Ban got after the DK supposedly killed his son. You could make the argument that since Mel couldn't look what was going on outside, he didn't know at the moment and continued beating the DK's ass, but then the dude comes back and doesn't even bother to look for his brother. It's almost like Ban, who has no relationship at all with Zel, cares more about him than his older bro, lol.

So yeah, at that point we knew different things about Mel and Zel's relationship:

- Zel looked up to him but Mel never gave a shit about him.

- They tried to kill each other multiple times in the series without even talking first.

- Mel didn't even care to look for his little bro at all after the battle was over. Instead of that, he went on a party with his friends (who also forgot about Zel's existence) and probably had "a good night" with Elizabeth (that was probably just off-paneled too, instead we got Ban having sex with a loli. Look, I've found another argument that makes Ban the new main character over Mel and Eli).

But now, we are supposed to believe that they loved each other all along, despite everything in the series pointing out that their relationship as brothers was horrid.

I think I support your theory of Ban having become the new main character.

PD: Mel needs to take some notes (more like, entire books) from best bro Wild. Heck, even Ludoshel is better than him as a brother. Fucking Ludoshel!

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
But Ban was always the main character though

Even MAL lists him as Main

BurlapJack

Reaction score
Country
United States
They tried to kill each other multiple times in the series without even talking first.
To be fair, meliodas did reach out after he rekt galand but zeldris said "there's nothing to talk about" so Mel just gave him a warning

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, based on what we have seen up to this point....

I'd say it is fairly clear that ban is a lot weaker than the DK. Based on two points:

1.- Ban can only hold out against the DK when the DK isn't at full power. He gets quickly overwhelmed otherwise.

2.- Ban isn't getting rejected by the world like meliodas was.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, based on what we have seen up to this point....

I'd say it is fairly clear that ban is a lot weaker than the DK. Based on two points:

1.- Ban can only hold out against the DK when the DK isn't at full power. He gets quickly overwhelmed otherwise.

2.- Ban isn't getting rejected by the world like meliodas was.
Isn’t it weird though how in purgatory, Ban couldn’t even get close to the DK and even after figuring out inversion, couldn’t do anything against him and was easily squashed. But now we see him able to at least contribute against him. Poor writing.

Then there’s the issue with his power up. Compared to others, it is better, but it’s still awful. Mainly this due to how much stronger he got, going from 3K to something like 300K. He basically got 100 times stronger just by spamming his immortality hack in purgatory. No real effort on his part to improve as a fighter and learn new abilities, hell it seems like he forgot his awesome magic techniques. The logical thing for Nakaba to do was increase his power to something above the commandments and his improved body would allow him to use snatch and hunter fest to where he wouldn’t have any limits. Before he was so weak that whatever he absorbed ultimately made no difference, but now he would able to make difference. But nope, Nakaba made him a strong hand to hand fighter with a cool sacred treasure.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I'm still laughing about the rage boost moment Ban got after the DK supposedly killed his son. You could make the argument that since Mel couldn't look what was going on outside, he didn't know at the moment and continued beating the DK's ass, but then the dude comes back and doesn't even bother to look for his brother. It's almost like Ban, who has no relationship at all with Zel, cares more about him than his older bro, lol.

So yeah, at that point we knew different things about Mel and Zel's relationship:

- Zel looked up to him but Mel never gave a shit about him.

- They tried to kill each other multiple times in the series without even talking first.

- Mel didn't even care to look for his little bro at all after the battle was over. Instead of that, he went on a party with his friends (who also forgot about Zel's existence) and probably had "a good night" with Elizabeth (that was probably just off-paneled too, instead we got Ban having sex with a loli. Look, I've found another argument that makes Ban the new main character over Mel and Eli).

But now, we are supposed to believe that they loved each other all along, despite everything in the series pointing out that their relationship as brothers was horrid.

I think I support your theory of Ban having become the new main character.

PD: Mel needs to take some notes (more like, entire books) from best bro Wild. Heck, even Ludoshel is better than him as a brother. Fucking Ludoshel!
Yeah it's just bad writing.

Nakaba telling us Zeldris cared for Meliodas and looked up to him prior to his betrayal is believable, but the reverse being the case is total bullshit considering he sealed his own brother away for 3000 years, was going to kill his lover (but didn't because plot), fought him countless times without any care for his well being and only went ''oh no my younger brother!!'' when the DK possessed him.

but yeah, we're supposed to believe Mel is a good older brother when the only thing he even said that gave us that idea was ''he's my only brother''.

10/10 writing nakaba - making mel look like a fucking saint when he's had 0 development for the entire story and is almost as bad as the Gods morally.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah it's just bad writing.

Nakaba telling us Zeldris cared for Meliodas and looked up to him prior to his betrayal is believable, but the reverse being the case is total bullshit considering he sealed his own brother away for 3000 years, was going to kill his lover (but didn't because plot), fought him countless times without any care for his well being and only went ''oh no my younger brother!!'' when the DK possessed him.

but yeah, we're supposed to believe Mel is a good older brother when the only thing he even said that gave us that idea was ''he's my only brother''.

10/10 writing nakaba - making mel look like a fucking saint when he's had 0 development for the entire story and is almost as bad as the Gods morally.
Well said, that's what I hate about this manga. Meliodas is an inconsiderate asshole, whose only priority is Elizabeth. End the manga with him doing everything, no matter the cost, to be with Elizabeth fine I wouldn't mind because that's who he is. But don't go retconning everything and adding more a positive perspective on his character. And have the sins put this guy on a pedestal.