I never saw her as white, and I saw her in the 1999 anime first. Just light skinned African American maybe. (I happen to be black myself, slightly fairer skinned)
Her red hair does through you off but I felt her design was always distinctly of african descent of some sort. I like your colors too, but to be fair she's not colored with a greyscale shading that Togashi normally uses for dark skinned characters (see Abegane? the nen remover from Greed Island) Still I hope she is some kinda brown in the new show. We'll find out soon won't we~!
It's not really that she looks white but more it seems she's "whitewashed" in a sense.
Like she should be black but they ran out of brown crayolas or something.
I don't think the greyscale thingy matters. Because how do you know that Togashi
is being consistent? Also if you notice I made Canary really more of a brown complexion
than a black complexion. Abegane I would think be actually black in skin tone.
IMO Abegane was WAY too light skin in Greed Island.
Basically...
Canary would be roughly about
and Abegane would be about
Also to be fair I don't think the transition from what was actually drawn in the 1999
anime to what was broadcast came out too great. I mean look, in the character
sketch she clearly has a purple suit but in the actual anime it looks more blue.