Shoujo Stand Up! by Yamakawa Aiji

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi


Stand Up!
By: Yamakawa Aiji
Genre: Romance
Publisher: Shueisha
Serialized In: Betsuma

Furuya Utako is a shy, reserved girl who stands out because of her height (172 CM). She has started to develop feelings for Harada Naoyuki, the popular, friendly boy sitting next to her in class. Attracted to his openness, she quickly befriends him.
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: [Shoujo] Stand Up! by Yamakawa Aiji

I was planning to post about this series yesterday. You're fast. :P

It's a new series, only first chapter is out, so nothing much being shown yet. I think for a first chapter it wasn't so bad, and the artwork was pretty nice too. Looking forward to Utako's character development the most.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: [Shoujo] Stand Up! by Yamakawa Aiji

The first chapter had a nice, introspective feel that reminded me of Orange or KimiTodo. I like that Utako is reserved without being too shy. She's not that sure of herself, but can still talk to Harada unselfconsciously. She has her friends, she's not isolated, but she's not the center of attention either. Her interactions with Harada feels very natural, like real classmates, and friends. Nothing feels forced, or cliche, about how they interact. I really liked chapter one, Stand Up has real potential.

I like the art too. The character design is distinct, and story appropriate. The panel work is excellent, with great flow and layout. Betsuma manga always seem to have really good panel design.
 
Last edited:

windy van

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
99
Reaction score
17
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
Re: [Shoujo] Stand Up! by Yamakawa Aiji

Wow, it looks very promising..
Normally i always avoid ongoing series with only few chapters available..
But i like this mangaka art and pacing.. She's the one who draw Tomodachi no Hanashi, right? That one is the best friendship manga i've read..
Do you know if this series running weekly/monthly?

I've read it..
There's not much to say.. Only 3 chapters available and not that much happened so far..
Yeah, something reminds me of Orange by Takano Ichigo..
Ummm... what's that? Is it the way the protagonist think?
This story is also told from 1st person pov, and Utako personality is similiar with Naho..
But sure, the pacing is good..
Give it a try! :)
 
Last edited:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: [Shoujo] Stand Up! by Yamakawa Aiji

Just finished chapter 4. I don't know, to be honest I'm not that comfortable with the artwork (is it because the scans, or are the scans indeed like that?). The plot is nice, though I'm not sure what to expect in the upcoming chapters. Is it about how Utako opens up and growing her relationship with Harada? Just a bit confused here. Anyway it's nice so far.
 

windy van

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
99
Reaction score
17
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
Re: [Shoujo] Stand Up! by Yamakawa Aiji

^^ I like the art coz there is something simple about it. It's cute in it's own way. The scans itself is clear enough, I don't see any problems with it. The only thing that irritated me is just Utako's ears.. They are just OMG, too big..

Just read chapter 4. This is really sweet story, but as phio_chan said, I don't know where will it goes..
I like Uchi, I think he is more attractive than Harada idk. He was showed more in this chapter. I wonder if he will like Utako too, now that he thinks differently about her. Oh, but no.. Don't make it that way, it's just too stereotyped. I hope this manga doesn't have too much drama..
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: [Shoujo] Stand Up! by Yamakawa Aiji

I love this series. It really captures the sweet, awkward feeling of dating for the first time. Not knowing what to say, not knowing what to wear, worrying about having enough to talk about. There's something so introverted about this series, it feels so real and honest, like what dating really felt like at 15 and 16.
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
A sweet date. I enjoyed their interaction, their hesitation, and the courage they gathered to overcome all and grew a healthier relationship.

I am still uncomfortable somehow with the artwork; Utako's ears are so big? But Harada looks cute so I'll forgive it, haha.

Talking about Harada, why does it feel to me like sometimes he seems like he has ulterior motive or something? -_- Like he's not smiling as wide as he should be, or his expressions somehow shows that he has more thoughts to the matter than what he says.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
A series thread? lol. I was surprised to find one, given so few chapters out there but. I'm here, I've subscribed. hello.
 
Top