Discussion - Let's talk about Mike | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Let's talk about Mike

Masterchef

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys,

I'm new in town, and glad to met others Shingeki's fan here.

Well let's get to the point, anyone know who Mike is in Shingeki universe, he was considered as the 2nd best humanity's fighter just behind Levi. In term of talent and initiative he was pure badass (chap 35 prove it, when he decided to fight Titans on his own before being defeated by the Ape Titan). Actually, it annoy me to see how minor this character was. He always has been in the background, maybe it's due to the fact he's the "the eternal 2nd" ? I deeply regret that Isayama never told us a little bit more about him, but choose to portray him (in a way) as the one who live in the shadow of levi, how hold was he for example ? Was he in the same trainee squad with Erwin at the beginning ? Also we never saw any real demonstration of his skills and ability's using the 3DMG, while the author show us some other members of the SL in their bravery moment (Hanji, Dita etc.) it's kind of sad too see how he was in retreat... i hope we'll have a special chapter on him, it's suck to throw this character out of Shingeki universe...

And you what are your thoughts on Mike ? can we consider before Levi joined the SL, Mike was humanity's best soldier, seeing his years (or month) of experience ?

That would be cool if Isayama release one of those day a sort of Shingeki Encyclopedia, with all of these informations.

Last edited:

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Judging from how much Isayama puts into the details of the titans' biology, there must be a reason that people with extreme senses of smell like Mike can smell them. Smells are just emissions of particles, so maybe it's possible to train dogs to detect titans based on what Mike's closest comrades knew about his ability.

EDIT: Oh! I never get to do this! Welcome to MH, we love fresh meat :D

TheOwl

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Albania
Welcome! As badluckartist said we love fresh meat, both metaphorically and literally, considering how we are SNK fans :teehee . I agree with you though, Mike should've had some more action, but maybe he will be more than a minor character in the Levi spin-off manga.

Masterchef

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the welcolme Mate !

Maybe as badluckartist said, training dog could help if they can devellop the same sense of detection like Mike, and that would be cool to see some dogs in the SL too.

I agree with you though, Mike should've had some more action, but maybe he will be more than a minor character in the Levi spin-off manga.
I really don't know about that, this Spin-off seems to be a little bit rushed, with very poor character devellopement, and a highly predictable narrative. i'm still hoping they'll fix their weakness in next chapter and explore much more the past of the SL (I still can imagine Mike & Levi team up ! this could be awesome to see those skilled guys fighting Titans side to side :) ).

FFuuu

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
It is kinda weird that he was very minor despite being so strong, but...

If you take into consideration how he died. Despite being humanity's second strongest, he was just a human and everyone can die.

HATED the way he died, but loved it at the same time.

nesean

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

If you take into consideration how he died. Despite being humanity's second strongest, he was just a human and everyone can die.

He just had very bad luck, and being at the wrong place and the wrong time. Given those same circumstances, even Levi might not have made it.

epictoads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

For humanity's second strongest soldier, it was just sad to see him die screaming. But realistic at the same time.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mike's death was one of the hardest for me. Such a surprise, and the way he went was especially bad.

Allow me to suggest that perhaps when Levi first joined the SL, Mike was still the best (but without the publicity they have for Levi)? I expect it would take some experience with actual titans before Levi would surpass him, even if Levi is a "genius" at using 3dmg. We know Levi, Zoë, and Mike (+ Mike's squad) were all with the SL for over five years. There's enough time for it to be the case, anyway.

Masterchef

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mike's death was one of the hardest for me. Such a surprise, and the way he went was especially bad.
Yeah, it's probably the most shocking death i ever seen in this manga, that was just cruel (the man wasn't even able to fight with his broken foot) to me it's on the top of the most horrible death along with Hannes...
By the way, i'm sure humanity's best fighter (Levi) will die someday (maybe at the end ?). i'm just wondering if Isayama will make it disturbing as Mike or more heroic...

Allow me to suggest that perhaps when Levi first joined the SL, Mike was still the best (but without the publicity they have for Levi)? I expect it would take some experience with actual titans before Levi would surpass him, even if Levi is a "genius" at using 3dmg. We know Levi, Zoë, and Mike (+ Mike's squad) were all with the SL for over five years. There's enough time for it to be the case, anyway.
Yeah i agree with you, i think Mike wasn't as popular as Levi is now, let's wait for a confirmation from A choice with no Regrets And i hope they'll give us some kill count from these guys too (to start with).

Last edited:

riccaXX

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hi, I'm fresh meat too, don't eat me please :D
Anyway, regarding the topic. Havn't it been the same with every character that has died? Like he doesn't want us/himself to get too attached to them before they die? I guess it means our "main" characters will stand to almost the very end.. Poor Moblit will probably die soon XD

nesean

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I'm fresh meat too, don't eat me please :D
Anyway, regarding the topic. Havn't it been the same with every character that has died? Like he doesn't want us/himself to get too attached to them before they die? I guess it means our "main" characters will stand to almost the very end.. Poor Moblit will probably die soon XD
At least he gets to say something in the chimi chara special. :)

and welcome to the board.