Shounen - Phantom Seer | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Phantom Seer

Ramen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
New Shounen Series!!!!

Phantom Seer

If something strange and mysterious occurs, you should go to him. They say he has psychic powers, but convincing him to actually help deal with fierce phantoms may be a challenge. A Gold Future Cup winner, this spine-tingling, horror one-shot now returns as a full series!

Read it here

Last edited:

Ramen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok so I read the first chapter and I'm hyped for this series. I'm getting a hint of Chainsaw Man and Jujutsu Kaisen influence in this series. Riku seems like an awesome MC with Katanagi as the perfect support MC. These 2 are already getting along well (in a way) :3c

In terms of a series, demons, poltergeists, exorcisms, shadows and all that great stuff are a really good combo.

Katanagi knows how to switch from being serious to comedy within seconds:

At the same time when it comes down to getting dirty against the poltergeists, Katanagi is giving me Bleach vibes. His shadow powers are awesome and his demon looks like Komamura's bankai:

@Belserion @Seraph @Kiki @Moegara @BD_Beno Read this :squee
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Loving this series so far. I think the relationship between Iori and his sister is hilarious.

Last edited:

NeeNeen

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
It's a pretty fun series. Certainly one of my favourite WSJ newbies (and there were a lot, this year).

I just hope we'll be seeing some character development, else the 'coward' jokes might get old after a while.

Blink22

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kento Matsuura illustration for celebration of volume 1 reprints

Knight of Stalwart Heart

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
This series has been fun to read so far.

I'm sure one of the characters in the last panel of the latest chapter is the puppet master woman but I wonder if the other character is Thumbelina Ogre or a doll of the puppet master. I'm guessing it's a doll of the puppet master.

Thumbelina Ogre and Omen are probably being saved for later. Would be cool if we get introduced to new characters who'll neutralize these two threats (together with the main cast or otherwise). As for who they might be, it could be shamans who have "gathered under" someone else like how some have "gathered under" Yayoi. Or it could be a shaman who works alone.

Both the cases are possible with what was told here :

This shaman thing seems like an organised effort from what we know. Given that, I wonder if Yayoi works under someone like a captain commander of sorts of the shaman heads (if there are indeed more groups). Also, I wonder who exactly pays these shamans for exorcising the phantoms as it was mentioned here :

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The latest chapter is out.

Kondo's phantom literally means chain dog apparently and, well, that's what we do clearly see :lmao

Seems like the shamans are categorized based on the places their "phantoms" (which seem to be inspired by Yokai folklore) are associated with or are found at. Apparently, in Yokai folklore the Yokai are classified based on the places they are found or are associated with but the classification is not limited to just the places.

• Yama no ke (mountains)
  • michi no ke (paths)
  • ki no ke (trees)
  • mizu no ke (water)
  • umi no ke (the sea)
  • yuki no ke (snow)
  • oto no ke (sound)
  • dōbutsu no ke (animals, either real or imaginary)

Not sure what kind of shaman Iori would be though based on that information. If I had to make a guess, he would be a creature-taming Shaman? Since, well, an Oni (which is what Ongyoki is apparently, Ongyoki = Invisible Oni/Demon/Troll) is associated with hell or caves and there's no hell family or cave family like there's a mountain family (of Yokai/Phantoms) from what I know so far.