Question Translation error in the manga over here?

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, by "over here" I mean Brazil, just in case anyone's curious. In volume 27, the translation note for Godspeed says "Shinsoku, in the original". Translation error, or is Shinsoku some kind of alternate spelling?

Also, when Killua is about to fight Yupi, he says "What I'm about to do now... is just to discount my frustration, OK?", roughly, instead of "What I'm about to do now... is hit you 8 times, OK?" that I've seen in the translations on the net.

I'm almost sure the first case is an error, but I'm not sure about the second case. If those are really translation error, can someone that roughly knows Japanese please explain how did those mistakes happen?
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Well, by "over here" I mean Brazil, just in case anyone's curious. In volume 27, the translation note for Godspeed says "Shinsoku, in the original". Translation error, or is Shinsoku some kind of alternate spelling?

Also, when Killua is about to fight Yupi, he says "What I'm about to do now... is just to discount my frustration, OK?", roughly, instead of "What I'm about to do now... is hit you 8 times, OK?" that I've seen in the translations on the net.

I'm almost sure the first case is an error, but I'm not sure about the second case. If those are really translation error, can someone that roughly knows Japanese please explain how did those mistakes happen?
I checked Kanmuru and it's made from the same kanji as Shinsoku...so shinsoku is just a different reading of the same kanji used in kanmuru...in fact shin and soku are the most frequent readings of 神 and 速

About the other one...I don't have a raw, but if someone could provide me the raw page I could try to explain...but honestly I cannot think of a believable explanation for such a translation difference...the only thing I can think of is maybe the second version could be an expression that has a reference and meaning something else, and the meaning would be the first line you posted...

I need to see the raw though...and I can't find it
 

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the quick answer! I've been trying to find a raw too, but no luck so far.
 

Popo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2008
Messages
165
Reaction score
435
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Well, by "over here" I mean Brazil, just in case anyone's curious. In volume 27, the translation note for Godspeed says "Shinsoku, in the original". Translation error, or is Shinsoku some kind of alternate spelling?

Also, when Killua is about to fight Yupi, he says "What I'm about to do now... is just to discount my frustration, OK?", roughly, instead of "What I'm about to do now... is hit you 8 times, OK?" that I've seen in the translations on the net.

I'm almost sure the first case is an error, but I'm not sure about the second case. If those are really translation error, can someone that roughly knows Japanese please explain how did those mistakes happen?
Actually, your translation is correct. All of Killua's attacks are spoken differently from how they're read. Though his attacks are written with Kanji that mean "Thunderbolt," "Lightning Palm," and "Godspeed," (Shinsoku) the ways in which those attacks are said (Narukami, Izutsushi, Kanmuru) are completely different words in Japanese that have nothing to do with the Kanji underneath. I have no idea what those three words mean, but Narukami at least seems to be referencing a Kabuki play.

Togashi does this for almost every attack in the manga. For instance, Hisoka's Bungee Gum, though spoken that way and written that way in the furigana, is written with the Kanji for "Elastic Love." The second case you mentioned is also correct in your volume and wrong online.

The scans on the net are filled with mistranslations; sometimes it's almost like night and day how different they are.
 

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the answer! I kind of suspected that was the case, since I had doubts on how professional translators would make such huge mistakes compared to a regular Joe in the Internet.
 

Phantron

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
797
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Almost all special moves in HXH are read differently compared to what their character would indicate. For example Kurapika's move reads as Absolute Time but is read as Emperor Time.

In the case of Yupi, my copy says the same thing about frustration. I take it to mean, 'No hard feelings, I just want to beat you up because I'm having a bad day since Gon was yelling at me'. Remember, Killua is probably the nicest guy out of the main characters right now. He feels bad killing anyone who isn't just pure evil reincarnate. Since Yupi is fairly neutral character in terms of worldview, there's really no reason for Killua to fight him after he stunned him once. After all, Killua seems to be quite aware that he can't actually hurt Yupi (wasn't surprised that he didn't do any meaningful damage), so he literally was just punching Yupi for the heck of it.

Yupi estimated his enemies as less than 1/10 of his total power. Killua is definitely the best at estimating such things out of the main characters, so presumably he's aware of the power disparity too.
 
Last edited:

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah, I figured out that made much more sense, because it's totally in character with what he was doing. He was just punching Yupi to let off some steam.
 

Popo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2008
Messages
165
Reaction score
435
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
In the case of Yupi, my copy says the same thing about frustration. I take it to mean, 'No hard feelings, I just want to beat you up because I'm having a bad day since Gon was yelling at me'. Remember, Killua is probably the nicest guy out of the main characters right now. He feels bad killing anyone who isn't just pure evil reincarnate. Since Yupi is fairly neutral character in terms of worldview, there's really no reason for Killua to fight him after he stunned him once. After all, Killua seems to be quite aware that he can't actually hurt Yupi (wasn't surprised that he didn't do any meaningful damage), so he literally was just punching Yupi for the heck of it.

Yupi estimated his enemies as less than 1/10 of his total power. Killua is definitely the best at estimating such things out of the main characters, so presumably he's aware of the power disparity too.
I really liked this post--it shows just how much attention you pay to the series. You've got Killua's character down to a T.
 
Top