Cleaning - Cleaning tutorial for the laziest - 2 minutes / page | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Cleaning Cleaning tutorial for the laziest - 2 minutes / page

unok-kun

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Do you want to clean mangas, but you're just too lazy to do all that stuff? With this method, you'll get a MQ in around 2 minutes, which can be improved to a MQ/HQ if you rotate, crop and redo the borders.

I've made an action set (well, in fact a single action) which will do most of the work for you. This action set isn't indispensable for the cleaning, but it'll make it faster and better. You can download it from Sendspace (I'll later provide more mirrors). You'll have to save the file on the folder C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Presets/Actions (replacing "CS3" for your version number, of course).

Once the raw is opened, you could start cleaning, but it's always better to do a few things before. The first one is increasing the size of the raw to 2000px height (that's always better than working with the actual size).

Now, let's check if there's any non-bubble text on the page. If there is any, it's better to redraw it now (it'll look better than if you do it after the cleaning). Also, if you want, you can follow these tutorials for rotating, cropping and redoing borders.

Now let's start the cleaning. You can either start the action "cleaning" in the action set "cleaning" (which will do everything automatically) or do it step by step:
  • Level the whites (right) to 190.
  • Now level again, this time the blacks (left) to 64.
  • Level again the greys (middle) to 0,4.
  • Level one more time the whites (right) to 190.
  • Go Filter/Stylize/Diffuse and select anisotropic.
  • Duplicate the current layer.
  • Go Filter/Noise/Reduce Noise and set it to 10, 0, 0, 25.
  • Level the whites (right) to 190.
  • And finally, level the greys (middle) to 0,4.

Once done all this, you'll have two layers. In the top layer, you'll have the whites and the blacks denoised, but the greys will be either too dark or too bright. And in the bottom layer, you'll have the greys right, but the blacks and whites will be noised. What you have to do is just erasing the greys from the top layer.

Now, if you want, you can resize the page again. The usual is 1200px height.

Here you can see how's the page before and after the cleaning (I've used the raw for Buster Keel 3, but it'll work on any raw you use):

The text will get blurry, but don't worry about it because you're gonna remove it later for the Edited Manga, so why care?

Well, I hope you like this tutorial and this form of easy cleaning.

Thanks a lot to Darkangel for teaching me to clean. Without him, I'd be still trying to redraw all the grays :XD

Last edited:

and_123

Artist
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
gracias por tu ayuda esto me sirve:thumbs

Lsshin

Intl Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
nice, altoutgh i have another method, faster and wasier, i will soon do a tutorial but im to lazy for it XD, thanks do

Obxist

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
you still have to redraw the grays if you want to achive high quality (most likely its not a gray , rather its a tone)...
and also, you need to reconfigure the level base on the raw and the manga :)...
good tech for speed scan

Esc.

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Awesome tutorial for speed scan. MQ is pretty much pushing it. Like you said though, if you redo borders and everything it'll get there.

I suggest not adding the leveling in with the action and do it manually, normally takes 15 seconds anyway. Leveling definitely varies from scan to scan.

Also, as Obxist mentioned. A nice HQ would have to have redrawn grays. (most likely patterns or grains) Pretty easy to add all of that in there. Wouldn't take more than 45-60 min for a page. But I guess if you're gonna do all that than why call this the tutorial for the laziest, right? lol:tem

Once again, great time saver, especially if you have more than one project.

hash899

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thats really helpful. thank u so much for this ^.^

Showbiz

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
May I ask why a person needs to make the raw image much bigger? Is it easier for cleaning, etc? Also, how do you use the preset?

Sincerely,
Showbiz

Last edited:

hash899

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May I ask why a person needs to make the raw image much bigger? Is it easier for cleaning, etc? Also, how do you use the preset?

Sincerely,
Showbiz
yeah its much easier to clean and when u resize it back it looks good too.

jaimi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seriously helpful. And time saving! Thanks.

unok-kun

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Spain

Sincerely,
Showbiz
With other cleaning methods, it's better to have a big raw for the grain on the greys, and also for blacks if you burn them (burning, especially when you have lots of specks in the blacks, gets the borders of the black zones a bit pixeled, but when resizing back you won't notice because of the interpolation).

However, with this method, greys look quite water-like, so that's why I make the raw big, to reduce that effect.

By the way, in pages with lots of greys, that effect might still be there, although the raw is big. In that cases, I'd recommend using a Surface Blur (Filters / Blur / Surface Blur) at 27 27 right after the diffuse filter. It'll look way better.

Last edited:

hanamaru

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
owww...
thanx for tutorial, i want to practicing it. dunno how it come soon...
hehehehe

luisalirio84

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Butchery! My goodness... the butchery. No wonder so many scans these days look like this >_>

ikcud

Reaction score
Country
Australia
gotta love it.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The text will get blurry, but don't worry about it because you're gonna remove it later for the Edited Manga, so why care?
Ehm, when the text gets blurry, the lineart and screentones naturally do the same and thus can't be removed later because it's... well... the artwork.

What this quick cleaning tutorial does is producing a 'watercolor effect' which certainly looks adorable when used on one's own artwork but it kinda destroys the original art of the manga artist. The picture becomes way to smooth and loses a lot of details. Using such an effect on manga art, which is usually drawn with fine ink pens to obtain sharp lines, is really problematic.

It will let a raw look a lot prettier as the other 'speed method' (overleveling to the core) but it's just as much affecting the original artwork. I've seen some scans uploaded lately, and that's why I post here, which were so extremely watery looking that you have trouble to differ characters from the background.

In any case, this method results in LQ quality (max) due to the unavoidable detail loss regardless of how clean it may look. But it's best to not use this kind of blurr/filter/level tactic at all.

unok-kun

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Ehm, when the text gets blurry, the lineart and screentones naturally do the same and thus can't be removed later because it's... well... the artwork.

What this quick cleaning tutorial does is producing a 'watercolor effect' which certainly looks adorable when used on one's own artwork but it kinda destroys the original art of the manga artist. The picture becomes way to smooth and loses a lot of details. Using such an effect on manga art, which is usually drawn with fine ink pens to obtain sharp lines, is really problematic.

It will let a raw look a lot prettier as the other 'speed method' (overleveling to the core) but it's just as much affecting the original artwork. I've seen some scans uploaded lately, and that's why I post here, which were so extremely watery looking that you have trouble to differ characters from the background.

In any case, this method results in LQ quality (max) due to the unavoidable detail loss regardless of how clean it may look. But it's best to not use this kind of blurr/filter/level tactic at all.
Well, this is the first cleaning method I ever used... I've improved a lot since then... although still not enough... Now I gotta try to get the artwork not destroyed... But still don't know how.

Mapringg

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
i don't understand the step after which u decide to dupliate
sry i just got interested in cleaning
would u mind adding picture to that step and onward

Lolz

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
A scan
I decided to try this method. I did everything what is written there.
The result

I mean... Was I really cleaning the scan using Photoshop or maybe a dishwasher?
My granny used only levels and color range and had awesome images, not like that. So this way of cleaning is not professional imho.