Voting Round 2 - D.Gray-man vs. Nanatsu no Taizai | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 2 D.Gray-man vs. Nanatsu no Taizai

Who wins?

• D.Gray-man

• Nanatsu no Taizai

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aonori

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Personally I find BT and SO better. SBR is good, but I don't think the writing is better. The theme and setting were different and there was more focus on the two MCs and their growth compared to the other parts with Stands. JoJo is very formulaic but Araki manages to do something interesting thanks to the setting and characters. I find that JoJolion stands out though because it is also a mystery. Hiatus or not, it doesn't matter to me anyway but I find several weekly chapters better than some which are published monthly.
I started reading SBR last week, I´m not near 1 third and I already got to see why many praise it as the best jojo part (and I didnt even got to the juicy bits), the Race is super well done, Araki made the speech bubbles of the characters carry some crazy impact, right at the beginning, it´s very clever, I´m not used to watch Jojo on manga though, so I could see Part 6 having a similar impact on manga, so take this with a grain of salt, but you could see from the early chaps that Araki had done massive prep time and research to come up with that part and making it monthly just helped him having more time to devise proper character arcs, etc...

That can vary due to a whole set of things, depending on particular tastes of the viewer and what the author thought and worked up until now, I do agree that prep time and research before making a series will always be valued more than having more time to think on the rest of the work in hiatus after the series started being released, but it´s painfully obvious it will have a huge impact especially in franchise based series, like Jojo which should always require it´s authors to have some time for prepping up the different parts, not only setting wise, but in many other aspects like characterization, of the characters, pacing, the overall plot, etc... It´s much more harder to get all of that done, in a weekly release scenario and while it´s possible for some to do some great writting, from time to time, it´s hard to keep certain standards and rules prestablished, being kept well, for the whole run of much of the weekly SJ mangas, especially final arcs, a couple of hiatuses might´ve helped many writters (depending on whether or not they cared about what they were writting) improving their writting in my opinion, but it depends a lot on what it would bring to them, eitherway I defend that the weekly chap release schedule for Mangakakas can be a bit overbearing for them sometimes, so we should give them some slack from time to time, when they do hiatuses, especially for health reasons, if their health is bad, they should do a hiatus rather than try and produce a chap, because in those conditions, they would rather finish the chap and release it ASAP because of health conditions, etc...

There´s a lot to say about this matter so I will stop here, but there are many different ways to look at hiatuses, like longterm ones, those can always end up worsening the writting standards in scenarios were the respective author can no longer keep up even a monthly or weekly release schedule for more than 4-6 times due to health issues for instance, it should be very hard to have to deal with health problems while one has to writte a manga afterall, but for the most part I still think the advantages of a hiatus here and there at the "right time", should outweight the negatives and depending on context could increase the quality of a series.

Last edited:

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Gallon and syx only used NNT's name and made some promises to get the votes of a few regulars there in the WW. It never really existed. The former forgot about the event and the latter said holds a grudge :nah.
Wow, you are so mean to me, Demon. :pout

I haven't forgotten about this event, but I can barely keep up with the posts - CA included - anymore. I'm currently not able to visit MH whenever I want, thus I'm being bombarded with notifications and posts when I log in. Sorrymasen.

You got my support here though. Don't even know what's the fuss about. Escanor clearly takes this!

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Wow, you are so mean to me, Demon. :pout

I haven't forgotten about this event, but I can barely keep up with the posts - CA included - anymore. I'm currently not able to visit MH whenever I want, thus I'm being bombarded with notifications and posts when I log in. Sorrymasen.

You got my support here though. Don't even know what's the fuss about. Escanor clearly takes this!
I was only talking about Gallon when I said this, not you :p. He is the one who said he has forgotten.

Reactions: syx

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Well a difficult choice for me as I love both.

But Nea edges past this round for me.So by a narrow margin I am voting D Gray Man.

Dlanor_A.Knox

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Voting for D.Gray-man w/o hesitation.
Without it I would have never touched a manga...

The story is (in my opinion) better, I like how you can see the arts style grow, I love the current art style, I mean look at the freaking details to the background!

The foreshadowing makes events that happened later on more natural and less "Oh yeah, you don't know it yet but this is definitly part of he story"
When you re-read it your like "How did I miss that?"

The characters are well developed and are still developing!

And in all honesty, Allen Walker is the trend setter of having white hair and one red eye due trauma....
Till now I haven't seen it in older series, but alot in the newer ones....

They have amazing main villains! And even they get character development!

While mysteries are solved, other just increase! It wasn't hard to guess that Meliodas was part of the demon clan etc.
But Allen Walker!? Damn.....

Also, the drama in DGM! It hits you right in the feels!

Did I mention that I love the backgrounds?

Last edited:

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Dr. Stone didn't manage to win?! Insta-vote for D-Gray Man! Because it's inspired in the most intriguing mysteries of the humanity's history! My favorite subject to talk about! (And I want NNT to lose!)
You mean...the great flood? xD

Aonori > I agree a lot with what you say. Many mangas have met their downfall Because of the too fast concatenation of chapters without letting them the time to think with hindsight about what they want to do and where they want to lead their manga (Without naming any :teehee). And this could have been avoided with some little hiatus. I guess. :p

Dianor > Haha, that's not fair play. :D

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
The foreshadowing makes events that happened later on more natural and less "Oh yeah, you don't know it yet but this is definitly part of he story"
When you re-read it your like "How did I miss that?"

The characters are well developed and are still developing!

And in all honesty, Allen Walker is the trend setter of having white hair and one red eye due trauma....
Till now I haven't seen it in older series, but alot in the newer ones....

They have amazing main villains! And even they get character development!

While mysteries are solved, other just increase! It wasn't hard to guess that Meliodas was part of the demon clan etc.
I haven't read DGM so I can't compare, but you are using a very bad example. Meliodas being a Demon was not supposed to be a twist at all. It became obvious early to the readers, the ones in the dark were his companions. If however you guessed that:
Gilthunder was fighting the Sins because his love was in danger or death, that Gowther was a Doll who was acting as the proxy of his creator and stopped the Holy War or that Meliodas and Elizabeth had been cursed

And even with various reveals about the characters there are still plenty of things unknown.

Dunno1978

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
You mean...the great flood? xD
Maybe... Have you read Atrahasis and Epic of Gilgamesh? The great flood isn't just mentioned in the Bible. So there is a possibility of this event to have happened somewhere, from some point of time. Well, we can continue to talk more about this and more at a more fitting thread.

Gallon

Artichoke
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I voted for Taizai purely because I moderate it, but honestly speaking, it hasn't been of very good quality recently. It started very well, developed incredibly nicely until the revival of the Ten Commandments, and theeeeen...
I'm not campaigning for the series because I've lost the initial interest I had in it, and having not read D.Gray-man, I cannot necessarily give the edge to Nanatsu no Taizai.
Regardless, voted for it for old times' sake.

Last edited:

**Silver**

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland
Voting D Grayman... cant stand Nanazy no taizai the main character is angsty teenager who is 3000 years old really??

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I voted for Taizai purely because I moderate is, but honestly speaking, it hasn't been of very good quality recently. It started very well, developed incredibly nicely until the revival of the Ten Commandments, and theeeeen...
I'm not campaigning for it because I've lost the initial interest I had in it, and having not read D.Gray-man, I cannot necessarily give the edge to Nanatsu no Taizai.
Regardless, voted for it for old times' sake.
You can start the series Gallon.It's pretty good (and comparatively darker than NNT).I am sure you will love it.

Great plot,Good villains and great characterization also.

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
>Enters the thread without much contempt about it, DGM haven't read it and Nanatsu is so dull
>Sees that if Nanatsu would have an ass, it would be demolished by DGM already
>Remembers something good of Nanatsu... Ban, now a loli-lover... Gowther, now cooperating with all... Escanor, defeated by tiredness

<333 I love him!!! Despite being petrified, best char nowadays, even if he isn't there, Nakaba is doing a crappy work by not putting some spotlight on Galan.

I use this joker, only one time to help Nanatsu :3

Reactions: syx

MrSchmitty7

Reaction score
Country
United States
Casting a vote for taizai. Elizabeth may be the most annoying heroine to ever grace the planet, but the hype that characters like Escanor, King, and some of the 10 Commandments generate works pretty well on me. Also IMO Ban had one of the best backstories I’ve read in a while. Plus the dumb memes :3c

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
TFW half of nanatsu voters haven't read D.Gray-man and 2/3 of the other half are not up to date with DGM because of the hiatus. :dumpster

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I have been thinking about what to post without being redundant but I feel like I would spoil too much. I guess I will talk about the Sins in general and Meliodas's character because some DGM readers seem to think he is an edgy protagonist.

TFW half of nanatsu voters haven't read D.Gray-man and 2/3 of the other half are not up to date with DGM because of the hiatus. :dumpster
Be sure that I will read it. Thanks to this event.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
As I said in a previous post, they are Holy Knights(Knights protecting a kingdom and ca use magic) who have been accused of certain crimes. Most of the main races (Demons, Fairies, Giants etc.) have a representative in the team and they are the very best.

We have:

1. Meliodas the Dragon's Sin of Wrath: The one with a green pant and green eyes.
  2. Diane the Serpent's Sin of Envy: Giant girl with pigtails.
  3. Ban the Fox's Sin of Greed: Tall guy in red.
  4. King the Grizzly's Sin of Sloth: The one flying.
  5. Gowther the Goat's Sin of Lust: The one with glasses and the best character.
  6. Merlin the Boar's Sin of Gluttony: The other girl.
  7. Escanor the Lion's Sin of Pride: The big guy with a moustache.

Even if you don't recognize names like Meliodas, Gowther, Escanor and Ban I am sure you recognize Merlin who is a prominent character in the Arthurian legends. Nakaba is a fan and uses certain elements from these stories but this is very different.

All of them have backstories related to their aliases and personal secrets, Meliodas first of all. When they became a team he created seven laws, we know only four so far:
  • Law #3: "A Sin shall ask no questions of another member's sin."
  • Law #4: "If a friend is in crisis everybody needs to use all of his or her power to help."
  • Law #5: "When two Sins are in disagreement they can resolve it with a fight."
  • Law #6: "If two Sins are fighting to the death, the other five must do their utmost to stop them even if it means eliminating the perpetrator
The third one is very important. At the beginning of the manga the Sins are separated and accused of treason but we see some of their past together via flashbacks or extra stories. As the story advances and more powerful enemies appear their backstories are progressively touched upon, there is tension between the members(fights, reveals, character developments etc) and they become more united than 10 years ago. Won't post pics because spoilers but any reader can tell you the relationships between the Sins evolved a lot compared to what they were at the beginning of the manga and it's beautiful.

Now that I have said all of this I can talk about Meliodas a bit more, who is the one who is the most reluctant to reveal his secrets among all the Sins(which can annoy a lot of readers). No, he is not some edgy antihero. He is nice, carefree, brave, a troll, terrible cook and a fighting genius but he is the Sin of Wrath for a reason. It becomes clear to the readers that Meliodas is a very old Demon, one of his most important trait is actually his self control. He is extremely calm and unreadable in almost every situation, however his buttons should not be pushed or it can lead to things like this:

Or this

If you read some of Nakaba's previous works you should know that he likes protagonists who are strong from the start. Meliodas's powers are something he can't fully control and he himself is afraid of it but it becomes necessary as the story advances and the way it affects the story and his companions is something I find interesting.

TLDR Meliodas is not an angsty teenager and he has quite the backstory, like all the Sins.

@Emperor Spriggan Are you trying to provoke me? If you are let me tell you that it's working :whynot

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
DGM is pretty much the love of my life.

I was all over NNT a little after it started gaining steam online - great characters, good, intriguing plot, lots of fun moments, etc.
Unfortunately, King and Ban are the only characters that ever developed a personality. Plenty of things have happened in the series, but there is no "before & after" for the characters, no growth, no challenges, etc., and at least half can be summarized by their boobs features or their powers. Unfortunately, NNT hits every cliche in the book.

There are definitely a handful of things in DGM that bear resemblance to other works in the same genre, but it's not nearly as gimmicky as NNT and never relies on fan-service to keep an audience.

I know the hiatuses and art style changes have frequently angered the community, but DGM as a story hasn't suffered at all - it has remained consistent with its story telling over the years, and it is very obvious that the author takes great care with the portrayal of her characters. Frankly, DGM has very little flaws in general - I personally have no problem with calling it one of the best shounen/seinen series.

NNT has its good qualities too, obviously, but if we're talking "better manga", it does not compare.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I have been thinking about what to post without being redundant but I feel like I would spoil too much. I guess I will talk about the Sins in general and Meliodas's character because some DGM readers seem to think he is an edgy protagonist.

Be sure that I will read it. Thanks to this event.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
As I said in a previous post, they are Holy Knights(Knights protecting a kingdom and ca use magic) who have been accused of certain crimes. Most of the main races (Demons, Fairies, Giants etc.) have a representative in the team and they are the very best.

We have:

1. Meliodas the Dragon's Sin of Wrath: The one with a green pant and green eyes.
  2. Diane the Serpent's Sin of Envy: Giant girl with pigtails.
  3. Ban the Fox's Sin of Greed: Tall guy in red.
  4. King the Grizzly's Sin of Sloth: The one flying.
  5. Gowther the Goat's Sin of Lust: The one with glasses and the best character.
  6. Merlin the Boar's Sin of Gluttony: The other girl.
  7. Escanor the Lion's Sin of Pride: The big guy with a moustache.

Even if you don't recognize names like Meliodas, Gowther, Escanor and Ban I am sure you recognize Merlin who is a prominent character in the Arthurian legends. Nakaba is a fan and uses certain elements from these stories but this is very different.

All of them have backstories related to their aliases and personal secrets, Meliodas first of all. When they became a team he created seven laws, we know only four so far:
  • Law #3: "A Sin shall ask no questions of another member's sin."
  • Law #4: "If a friend is in crisis everybody needs to use all of his or her power to help."
  • Law #5: "When two Sins are in disagreement they can resolve it with a fight."
  • Law #6: "If two Sins are fighting to the death, the other five must do their utmost to stop them even if it means eliminating the perpetrator
The third one is very important. At the beginning of the manga the Sins are separated and accused of treason but we see some of their past together via flashbacks or extra stories. As the story advances and more powerful enemies appear their backstories are progressively touched upon, there is tension between the members(fights, reveals, character developments etc) and they become more united than 10 years ago. Won't post pics because spoilers but any reader can tell you the relationships between the Sins evolved a lot compared to what they were at the beginning of the manga and it's beautiful.

Now that I have said all of this I can talk about Meliodas a bit more, who is the one who is the most reluctant to reveal his secrets among all the Sins(which can annoy a lot of readers). No, he is not some edgy antihero. He is nice, carefree, brave, a troll, terrible cook and a fighting genius but he is the Sin of Wrath for a reason. It becomes clear to the readers that Meliodas is a very old Demon, one of his most important trait is actually his self control. He is extremely calm and unreadable in almost every situation, however his buttons should not be pushed or it can lead to things like this:

Or this

If you read some of Nakaba's previous works you should know that he likes protagonists who are strong from the start. Meliodas's powers are something he can't fully control and he himself is afraid of it but it becomes necessary as the story advances and the way it affects the story and his companions is something I find interesting.

TLDR Meliodas is not an angsty teenager and he has quite the backstory, like all the Sins.

@Emperor Spriggan Are you trying to provoke me? If you are let me tell you that it's working :whynot
Provoke? :XD

Status
Not open for further replies.