School - Dormitories, yay or nay? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

School Dormitories, yay or nay?

Do you like dorms?

• No.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Yes.

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

EvilGenious

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I hated the dorms....they were expensive! It's was much cheaper for me to live off campus than a dorm. The only downfall of me living off campus was that I had to work. Sharing a bathroom with 20 other girls was a b!tch. And on weekends, when most of the students go out and party, they would always come back drunk and noisy. I can't remember how many confrontations that my roommate had with some of those girls (I liked my roommate, she was fun!) that I had to get in the middle of.

We were only required to live in the dorms one year, freshman year, unless you were married, had children, or a commuter. I had a friend though that went to another school that was require to live in them for 3-4 years...

Sorry for my rant...I am glad that I am out of college...

rhapsody blue

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
i've lived on campus for all four years due to my scholarship and i really liked it. it was actually cheaper than some places off campus and it was really convenient to all the buildings where my classes took place. i made a lot of my friends there and it was nice that all i had to do was walk upstairs/down the hall to see them. plus i didn't have to worry about paying for bills which is a plus and the dining halls provided me with meals.

i've never really had a problem with living/sharing the bathroom with a bunch of girls which is probably the result of my university's limiting the number of girls on each floor. noise is a problem every so often but i dealt with it.

did everyone live in same-sex dorms or co-ed? mine was the latter with alternating floors for girls and boys which was nice.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ours are all co-ed at Old Dominion University. Suites are same sex, but you'd have a girls suite right next to a guys' (Suite = 2 people per room, 2 rooms connected by a tiny bathroom)

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
the particular dorm i lived in at indiana university had 2 towers: 1 for girls and 1 for guys. pretty hardcore separation, right? it actually used to be an all-girl dorm (historically nicknamed the "virgin vault" :XD), but turned co-ed before i lived there. however, i think this was the only dorm on campus like that at the time and has since went all co-ed (alternating floors, i think). IU is actually a quite liberal campus. most of the other dorms are either alternating floors or co-ed throughout.

miyi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
the particular dorm i lived in at indiana university had 2 towers: 1 for girls and 1 for guys. pretty hardcore separation, right? it actually used to be an all-girl dorm (historically nicknamed the "virgin vault" :XD), but turned co-ed before i lived there. however, i think this was the only dorm on campus like that at the time and has since went all co-ed (alternating floors, i think). IU is actually a quite liberal campus. most of the other dorms are either alternating floors or co-ed throughout.
well, from a conservative point of view, if you're a conservative parent it's uncomfortable reconciling with the idea that your daughter will be with a bunch of guys in a similar living situation, and vice versa..so that's the idea behind it. Not because conservatives are hardcore segregationists.

The fact that universities are almost universally co-ed nationally, gives conservatives little options as to accepting what little choice they have on the matter.

Not that I have anything against co-ed campuses. In fact, I enjoyed living in a co-ed dorm.

It's a great experience, you meet people, you learn how to deal with people you don't necessarily would get along in the first place, and that's what life is about. You put yourself in unfamiliar territory and you just learn to adapt to it, and that's part of growing up.

KazigluBey

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I avoided dorm life like the plague. Tons of freshman ripe for the picking by whatever teacher could sink their claws into them and fill their heads with their view of the world.

Apartment all the way if you can afford it.

Distance learning was soooo much better. I didn't have to listen to 18 and 19 year olds parroting whatever clever bit of information their favorite Prof had told them.

bean

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
dorms at Notre Dame were very nice...especially O'Neill :D

except for that whole non co-ed thing...

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think dorms are fine, so I say yey.

Although I suppose it depends on where you are and the type of dorm.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Depends, but I tend to like it to due to freedom. If I live with annoying people, then yeah, I'll feel rage.

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I've never been in a dorm before. But based from my college friends who stayed in dorms, they were all very happy because of the freedom they experience. I kind of feel envious of them. So I say, I approve of dorms. xD

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
well freedom ya, but dorm life is fun because you have ll your friends together in a pack, time flies by so fast that you will:eek
my unis is on the outskirts of the city, so most of us stay in the dorm for the weekdays and come back home in the week end (2 hr bus ride) so we have dorm life and home life in parallel :)

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Of course, paying the bills for rentals sucks. LOL. I'm thinking of getting a dorm or an apartment myself since my work place is far from home. I know I'll hate to see my salary being reduced on dorms.

silver_soul

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well freedom ya, but dorm life is fun because you have ll your friends together in a pack, time flies by so fast that you will:eek
my unis is on the outskirts of the city, so most of us stay in the dorm for the weekdays and come back home in the week end (2 hr bus ride) so we have dorm life and home life in parallel :)
Halls are good if you're living with friends but first years don't usually get much choice. I vote no and I can't wait to move in to a rented house next year. Besides the paper thin walls and the all night bar opposite creating a ruckus at night, I have a flatmate who sleeps in the kitchen and it makes for some very awkward late night snacking.

LiliCyanide

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
i absolutely loved living in a dorm. of course, my dorm was more like a huge apartment. 4 bedrooms, 4 girls, 2 bathrooms. we were like a big happy family. my only real dorm-related complaint would be certain sites were blocked on the internet, and they'd revoke your access for downloading or hitting the block page too many times. i got mine shut off for running steam... o.o

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Your college is uptight, LiliCyanide. :oh

Actually, now that I think about it, yay for dorms! The freedom was awesome, though it was horrible as well! You can drink illegally so long as you don't get caught, have parties, stay up late, and etc, and as long as people don't complain, you can do it over and over! The freedom's a downside cuz you're not as likely to focus on your responsibilities and make good choices, like studying, sleeping early, and eating healthy more often.

With a cool RA, it's oodles of fun! With annoying/bad roommates/floormates, it's very annoying.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I really like dorms.:)) That's a great life culture.:) Beeing franck I don't live in dorm in my country, cause I have a flat, but the thing is that when I go to study abroad I prefer dorm over other posibilities normally.:) That's actually pretty funny to have parties there and you have all your friends by your side and also that's quite a funny experience to meet different new people.:)

This summer I had great experience in Germany.:) There was just a funny dorm, where I saw how german students live.:))

P.S. I'm not talking about Russian dorms, cause that's totally a different thing:))))

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
When I studied abroad I lived at the apartments of the university most of the time. Had my own room, roommates in the other rooms and a kitchen. I always dreaded the idea of sharing a minute room with 2 or 4 people and having to eat cafeteria food.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I normally live the same way, when I study abroad.:) I really like to have at least some place, where I can be alone, but I though that once in a while it's good to have a bit different experience.:)

Enn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
It's definitely more practical, but I say no to dormitories. I prefer a space for my own.

rudorofu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hm, dorm life for me currently is 50/50. I don't live in the typical setting where I'm living with a bunch of people on one floor, but instead I've been placed in a townhouse with 3 other housemates. The place is about a 10-15 minute walk from the campus so it's rather inconvenient even with a bussing system in the city. I'd rather be living on campus than around the perimeter of it...There are never any parties or social events going on around the area either :\