General Amateur Manga Discussion/Hangout Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

General Amateur Manga Discussion/Hangout Thread

quoux

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Amateur Manga: Hangout

Hey everyone Im new! But I am an aspiring artist/writer (Im not very good but Id like to make a web-comic).

Well I have a plot and story that ive created and I (like everyone) think it is original and will be a great story!!

Anywho I kinda just want to get involved and what not. My story is that one day, randomly and suddenly, human lives become transferable, either given or taken. That means if someone is killed, the killer gains their life, which then doubles their lifespan, or can be exchanged if they are to die.

Let me know what you all think! I'd love to chat with you about your ideas as well!

zzigg

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

hi guys i hope everyone doing good.
i wanted to ask if anyone know a website who put manga contests and stuff .. some of this kind of competitions can really give the momentum to one's own project
thanks

MangaWriter

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Croatia

I am an manga writer looking for a manga artist contact me on zdujic445@gmail.com
i write all manga: action,comedy,sport,mainstream...

ClaFanN1

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Here's a page of my comic stuff :D

By the way, why don't we make a blog (for example using blogger) with multiple authors in order to share our works? Could become interesting... :)

Last edited:

MangaWriter

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I am a manga writer looking for an artist please send me a message if you are interested
(i do all kind of manga from action up to sport to fantasy and so on)

mageirakos

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Create a manga with sports and mystery, with 2 protagonists, is that interesting???

create a manga with sports and mystery, with 2 protagonists, is that interesting???

manga with 2 protaginists and 2 different stories

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
I've recently come across this documentary showing the drawing techniques of the (legendary, frankly) Akiko Higashimura. You can watch it here. Well, the word "documentary" is a bit of a stretch, it's more like watching her draw and talk about drawing with Naoki Urasawa for 45 minutes. If anyone likes it, there's a few more subbed videos in that series online.

Anyway, I was so blown away by Higashimura-sensei, really. I just saw her work, and I thought, "this is not human, this is a manga-drawing demigod", you know? Totally beyond anything anyone else could ever do, truly blessed by the gods of talent.

So naturally I wanted to check out her autobiographical manga, Kakukaku Shikajika. It is one of the best manga I've ever read. If you care about 1) shojo manga, 2) art in general, 3) the process of making manga, 4) teaching... any of those, if you care about them even a little bit, this manga will be an incredible experience for you. The most amazing part for it is that it really humanized Higashimura to me. Suddenly she was no longer a god. You could see her flaws. You could see her shitty art before she became who she is today. You could see all the years she spent slacking off. It inspired me beyond anything else, it made me think "I can do it, too."

soooo yeah, that's what I have to say to anyone interested in making manga: watch that documentary, and read Kakukaku Shikajika. It will change your perspective, I hope.

Gintara

Artist
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've recently come across this documentary showing the drawing techniques of the (legendary, frankly) Akiko Higashimura. You can watch it here. Well, the word "documentary" is a bit of a stretch, it's more like watching her draw and talk about drawing with Naoki Urasawa for 45 minutes. If anyone likes it, there's a few more subbed videos in that series online.

Anyway, I was so blown away by Higashimura-sensei, really. I just saw her work, and I thought, "this is not human, this is a manga-drawing demigod", you know? Totally beyond anything anyone else could ever do, truly blessed by the gods of talent.

So naturally I wanted to check out her autobiographical manga, Kakukaku Shikajika. It is one of the best manga I've ever read. If you care about 1) shojo manga, 2) art in general, 3) the process of making manga, 4) teaching... any of those, if you care about them even a little bit, this manga will be an incredible experience for you. The most amazing part for it is that it really humanized Higashimura to me. Suddenly she was no longer a god. You could see her flaws. You could see her shitty art before she became who she is today. You could see all the years she spent slacking off. It inspired me beyond anything else, it made me think "I can do it, too."

soooo yeah, that's what I have to say to anyone interested in making manga: watch that documentary, and read Kakukaku Shikajika. It will change your perspective, I hope.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing that video. I'll definitely take a look at both the video and manga. ;)

Here are some things I've come across; hopefully they are useful for you guys:
And regarding manga contests, there's the Silent Manga Audition. They're currently accepting entries for their Spring 2016 contest (it's held twice each year). The winners of SMA04 were recently announced. You can also read the winning entries and honorable mentions there and the judge's comments too.

As always, keep reading comics - see what works and think why the panels were laid out like that, etc. That also applies for writing too - keep reading! Take notes on things you've come across and try to apply them to your own works, get feedback and build upon them.

(On a side note, I haven't been here for ages. Whoa.)

DoctorApollo

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Ah, I remember that girl who was an assistant on Prince of Tennis from a while back.

It's disappointing to see she still hasn't made anything on her own, it seems.

DoctorApollo

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Israel
In a way a story her is actually more discouraging than encouraging. It seems she got the job mostly because of her being a cute gaijin girl (no knowledge of manga work whatsoever), and even after such a gig with a high-profile artist on a series like Prince of Tennis, she was only able to get together a self-published work.

it makes me think that 1) my chances of getting an assistant job are very low, and 2) even if i got one, it's not really a path to becoming a published professional in any way.

well, I still think the best path is to become an assistant and work on your series whilst you're an assistant, but yeah, her story just got me down.

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Ah, I remember that girl who was an assistant on Prince of Tennis from a while back.

It's disappointing to see she still hasn't made anything on her own, it seems.
She still hasent? Was kinda hoping she would, I mean after a big job like that
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
In a way a story her is actually more discouraging than encouraging. It seems she got the job mostly because of her being a cute gaijin girl (no knowledge of manga work whatsoever), and even after such a gig with a high-profile artist on a series like Prince of Tennis, she was only able to get together a self-published work.

it makes me think that 1) my chances of getting an assistant job are very low, and 2) even if i got one, it's not really a path to becoming a published professional in any way.

well, I still think the best path is to become an assistant and work on your series whilst you're an assistant, but yeah, her story just got me down.
Yeah, its hard becoming an assistant, especially from another country such as America. Im gonna go to school in Japan for manga in a few years, but that dosent even guarantee me much of a future as a manga artist. Sometimes you have to be a little more aggressive about your career to get things going

DoctorApollo

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Ultimately she just couldn't make anything good enough, that's all there is to it.

If you make good stuff, you will get published. Don't lose sight of the goal.

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Ultimately she just couldn't make anything good enough, that's all there is to it.

If you make good stuff, you will get published. Don't lose sight of the goal.
yeah thats the important thing. Im now working on Japanese so I can go there soon

DoctorApollo

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Working on Japanese is important, but it is orders of magnitude less important than working on your art.

I mean obviously you would have a very hard time if you get to Japan with weak Japanese skills, but that is a way way way way way way better scenario than getting to Japan with poor drawing ability and great Japanese.

What I'm saying is... make sure you don't spend too much learning the language and slack on drawing. Try to draw as much as you can. Really.

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Working on Japanese is important, but it is orders of magnitude less important than working on your art.

I mean obviously you would have a very hard time if you get to Japan with weak Japanese skills, but that is a way way way way way way better scenario than getting to Japan with poor drawing ability and great Japanese.

What I'm saying is... make sure you don't spend too much learning the language and slack on drawing. Try to draw as much as you can. Really.
Thanks for the tips, i will keep that in mind. Im kinda hoping to go to the Tokyo Design Academy for manga, but they only enroll once a year. Still looking for other options.