Shounen - Yankee-kun To Megane-Chan by YOSHIKAWA Miki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Yankee-kun To Megane-Chan by YOSHIKAWA Miki

Boz

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany

TITLE: Yankee-kun To Megane-chan
MANGAKA: Yoshikawa Miki
PUBLISHED IN: Kodansha's Weekly Shonen Magazine (Air Gear, Fairy Tail, Zetsubo Sensei, Tsubasa, etc.)

SUMMARY: Shinagawa Daichi (short tempered and lazy) is a high school delinquent who just wants to be left alone. However, class rep Adachi Hana (not particularly bright, but sweet) will stop at nothing to get him to go on the upcoming Social Studies field trip. What are her true motives behind getting a "yankee" like Shinagawa to go on such a thing?

+ + + + +

WHERE CAN I GET IT?: One Manga has the three prologues and up to chapter 5 located here, and chapter 6 has just been released by Mahou-X on MH.

+ + + + +

I want to know if anyone's enjoying this relatively undiscovered WSM find as much as I am. Yes, it's typical shonen "straight-man plus idiot" high school slice of life, but I'm finding the humor really fresh, and there's a spark of sincerity to to both Adachi's, often misguided, attempts to be there for her fellow classmates and Shinagawa's obvious crush and softhearted nature that reminds a lot of GTO. I really like Yoshikawa's way of drawing his SD "horrified" faces as well, it been a while since I've laughed at something purely because of the way it was drawn, especially in something as mainstream as a WSM release.

Any thoughts?

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
It was okay.
You can really see Yoshikawa used to be an assistant of Hiro Mashima, though.

Boz

Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's true. Happens to me often when his characters have their mouths wide open during panels, the facial expressions are really uncannily similar.

Kyuzo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
That's true. Happens to me often when his characters have their mouths wide open during panels, the facial expressions are really uncannily similar.
Not really "uncanny," he was an assistant to Mashima after all.

sabret00the

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do like this series. I'm really surprised that it's in a shounen magazine but it's good. i'm eager to see the characters grow. i'd really like to see shinigawa and adaichi make a go of things so that he's not swept up in the madness in the same way, but i'm pretty sure it'd ruin the story, perhaps it's just right that there's sexual tension there. i'm really not sure about izumi though, i don't feel he has a real place in the group and his constant arguments with shinigawa are tiresome and annoying. i feel that chiba is a great character and his role is done to perfection, never too far into the mix but not just a side character either, however i can't say the same for himeji. she just doesn't seem to have a role. her introduction was horrible and from there out, she's just been annoying.

what i will say is that the current structure is quite worrisome, having peaked at the raw for 97, it would seem as though the cast has been doubled and i can't help but feel that the author is already struggling with only four members.

that said, i'm a fan and i will continue to watch the story unfold.

Dampier

Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
i like also, but why it's translating so slow?(( we have 36 chaps translated on english, but there is more than 100 chaps ((
i have volums from 5 to 8 but i dunno japanese (damn it!!)

CaptFamous

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love this story. The gag aspects are hilarious, especially the tough faces and the are on Adachi when she does something stupid.

Tanequil

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This series is hilariously funny... XD. I love it.

Silverblade

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
This manga was my true love from the first sight (sp?). Though I never got those school/ slice-of-life/etc kinds of mangas, this one I liked. Well, no. I loved it! Everything about it.
Shinagawa is just adorable - who cannot like such a lazy jerk. And when you add Adachi, th manga becomes almost complete. Nothing stops this madness hurricane :D
And there isn't much to add to it :D

P.S.: too bad - only Mahou-X scanlate it, and at a horrible pace, they're like a 90 chapters behind. Though, their effort is still appriciated. Oh well.
P.P.S.: checked the volume RAWS. It seems, the overall hilarity continues. But the ocean vacation arc is almost over. Still, looking forward to new releases :D

Upd.: So, chapter 37 is up! Resort arc ends. It seems the shool councils always consist of monsters :) Akagi's a beast :)

Last edited:

wade69

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
This manga was my true love from the first sight (sp?). Though I never got those school/ slice-of-life/etc kinds of mangas, this one I liked. Well, no. I loved it! Everything about it.
Shinagawa is just adorable - who cannot like such a lazy jerk. And when you add Adachi, th manga becomes almost complete. Nothing stops this madness hurricane :D
And there isn't much to add to it :D

P.S.: too bad - only Mahou-X scanlate it, and at a horrible pace, they're like a 90 chapters behind. Though, their effort is still appriciated. Oh well.
P.P.S.: checked the volume RAWS. It seems, the overall hilarity continues. But the ocean vacation arc is almost over. Still, looking forward to new releases :D

Upd.: So, chapter 37 is up! Resort arc ends. It seems the shool councils always consist of monsters :) Akagi's a beast :)
stfu do you want us to release it slower? and if you noticed we didn't start this manga when it first came out... it was already out a year before anyone touched it.

sabret00the

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
stfu do you want us to release it slower? and if you noticed we didn't start this manga when it first came out... it was already out a year before anyone touched it.
Calm down and don't threaten your supporters! I'm sure we're all just as frustrated at the pace as each other. You guys can only go as fast as is humanly possible given your resources and the fans are excited because of the work that you guys do. You've picked up an awesome series and we're all grateful for that as well as the work that goes into bringing them out in such quality. Impatience is silly but it gets to all of us at one point or another.

wade69

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Miki used to be Hiro mashimas assistant.

Ranael

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you very much for translating it. I don't know what I would do without this series. It just makes me laugh so hard that sometimes I think I'm going to cry. Not many things do that now a days, so thank you for helping to make my life better through the power of laughter.

LNsu

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Love this manga, but it does definitely feel more like a light read without too much thought into the plot. I enjoy reading it, but I don't anticipate the next chapters or how the story would go if it rears towards the end. The characters are cool and together they are quite balanced, however, it seems like the manga is becoming less about them and more about others. The sense of humor in this manga really suits me and I'm never disappointed with how the arcs unfold. That being said, it still is a rather light manga for me.

sabret00the

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Love this manga, but it does definitely feel more like a light read without too much thought into the plot. I enjoy reading it, but I don't anticipate the next chapters or how the story would go if it rears towards the end. The characters are cool and together they are quite balanced, however, it seems like the manga is becoming less about them and more about others. The sense of humor in this manga really suits me and I'm never disappointed with how the arcs unfold. That being said, it still is a rather light manga for me.
You're right. There doesn't appear to be any growth of the characters and on top of that, i don't particularly find Adachi's stupidity, ignorance or persistence to interfere hilarious any more. We need to start seeing some growth, we need to see Adachi act as a leader and start picking battles. I also thought that while Shinigawa as the merchant was hilarious, he should've gone back and changed his character. If we're gonna have so many other characters, we need more independence in regards to them two. Also the real VP needs to hurry and stand up. I feel like any plot or opportunity for advancement has been bogged down in the fact of far too many main characters, most of which are incredibly bland.

CaptFamous

Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems that it's transformed into more of a "slice of life" manga, which is fine with me, as I still find it hilarious. I definitely agree that Adachi's grown quite stale. However, I'm not sure what they can do with her besides taking a hard turn towards romance, which I don't really want as a focus. What they need are rivals.

Algid

Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember, pretty sure it's it hasn't been forgotten. There's obviously a lot about her past we're not supposed to know yet.

CaptFamous

Reaction score
Country
United States
this is the development this manga needs right now and instead we get computer game adventures
To be honest, I laughed out loud at every joke about Shinigawa being a merchant. Especially the line about selling bananas.