Shounen - Genkaku Picasso by FURUYA Usamaru | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Genkaku Picasso by FURUYA Usamaru

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
New serialized serie in jump SQ, Genkaku Picasso

Mangaka: Usamaru Furuya
Some Previous works: At Na-chan's || Happiness || Happiness Scene 2 -A Room of ||Clouds || Jisatsu Circle

Content: After miraculously surviving a freak helicopter accident, Hikari "Picasso" Haruma finds that he somehow has the power to help people through his art. He is helped by his friend Chiaki Yamamoto who was killed in the helicopter accident, but came back as an angel. According to Chiaki, when the accident happened both she and Picasso died, but she begged God to save Picasso because of his wonderful talent, so Picasso survived the accident on condition that he saves other people. Basically when he sees someone in trouble, Picasso's able to draw a picture symbolizing the person's problem, and then enter that picture to see that person's hidden feelings and use that knowledge to help them in the real world.
(Picasso got his nickname because he wrote his name ヒカリ, hi-ka-ri, on his school shoes, but his リ looked like a ソ (so) and Chiaki called him "Hikaso" so he ended up being called Picasso. Even though he actually aspires to be like Da Vinci.) ~credits to haya5h1

sample images

Discuss it here

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay this looks mildly off it's rocker. colour me interested

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Well looking at that double color spread I always start to think about harry potter :D

anyway if this gets translated/scanlated then why not giving a chance.

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Heh, when I first saw the hero I thought he was a girl.:XD This one's actually pretty straightforward, but it's so surreal that it's really hard to explain.:eyeroll As I was crazy enough to scan all 70+ pages of it I'll take a shot at a summary...
After miraculously surviving a freak helicopter accident, Hikari "Picasso" Haruma finds that he somehow has the power to help people through his art. He is helped by his friend Chiaki Yamamoto who was killed in the helicopter accident, but came back as an angel. According to Chiaki, when the accident happened both she and Picasso died, but she begged God to save Picasso because of his wonderful talent, so Picasso survived the accident on condition that he saves other people. Basically when he sees someone in trouble, Picasso's able to draw a picture symbolizing the person's problem, and then enter that picture to see that person's hidden feelings and use that knowledge to help them in the real world.
(Picasso got his nickname because he wrote his name ヒカリ, hi-ka-ri, on his school shoes, but his リ looked like a ソ (so) and Chiaki called him "Hikaso" so he ended up being called Picasso. Even though he actually aspires to be like Da Vinci.)
...I told you it was surreal...:XD I hope the art stays as good throughout the series run. At the very least I'm looking forward to seeing how he basically saves people through art. Reminds me of that Chinese story of the boy with the magic paintbrush, somehow.

EL_manana

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Wow, from the creator of Suicide Club... I loved the first chapter, though it would be nice to see a Edited Manga.^^ Oh yeah, the boys lips freak me out a bit, but at least his paintings are really impressive. And since I know it is from the creator of Suicide Club and since the art is similar to that manga I feel scared and nervous when I read it^^

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I seriously thought he was a Haruhi-type girl initially. I love how his "battle cry" is "Skeboo! 2B!":XD

Akiyama

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Genkaku Picasso is being released in english. Which is good news for me since I can only read the first 4 chapters. It's going to be a long time before volume 2 gets released. Other news is that Picasso is even going to be in american shonen jump, they might publish a few dozen pages of the first chapter and then say continued in vol. 1 on sale blah blah blah. At least I can see a preview before I get to buy. :)