Seinen - Historie by Iwaaki Hitoshi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Historie by Iwaaki Hitoshi

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Historie
By: IWAAKI Hitoshi
Genre: Historical, Drama, Action
Serialized In: Monthly Afternoon
Mangaupdates

Historie takes place at the dawn of the Hellenistic period, when Greek culture and military came to dominate the Eastern Mediterranean. A fictionalized account of the life of Eumenes, the story begins in his childhood and follows his rise to become secretary and later general of Alexander the Great. While taking great liberties with the details of Eumenes life, Iwaaki creates an accurate portrayal of classical Greece; the culture, class society, and history. The story reflects structures and plot devices similar to those used in Greek writing. An excellent manga, perfect for fans of Vinland Saga and Vagabond.

Last edited:

PitylessEnvy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
5 volumes now, and over five years.

But yeah, it's a great series, even if the monthly/bimonthly release schedule is kind of annoying. It's completely worth it though. You probably should have taken more time reading it :).

Also, I recommend the Kiseijuu, a manga by the same author, and really awesome.

garpjr1188

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
5 volumes now, and over five years.

But yeah, it's a great series, even if the monthly/bimonthly release schedule is kind of annoying. It's completely worth it though. You probably should have taken more time reading it :).

Also, I recommend the Kiseijuu, a manga by the same author, and really awesome.
its a ggood thing that ist updated almost daily now...the latest c51 is already up but i cant DL it as of the moment..

i will also try that Kiseijuu, tnx for the suggestion...Historie is one of my favorites...great manga

PitylessEnvy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You can get Historie chapter 51 off of Mangatraders.

thelwcd

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Its nice to read about this in a manga .
A couple links since i have visited most of the places .
Ancient capitol Aiges .
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...0.475762,22.319455&spn=0.011426,0.019312&z=16
Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergina
The exhibits are in Thessaloniki archaeological museum , i was amazed by "the golden and ivory panoply of the dead King Philip the 2nd father of Alexander" (panoply is the armor in which they fought)
Parmenion contains spoilers
The culture center of Macedonia , ancient city of Dion .
http://www.ancientdion.org/
The town of Aristotle teacher of Alexander
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...0.530306,23.750124&spn=0.011416,0.019312&z=16
EUMENES
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eumenes
btw Eumenes probably means benevolent, favourable, propitious .

The story is going to be epic .

Last edited:

Hauteville House

Reaction score
Country
France
I enjoy very much this manga. I don't know the author's other works but Historie is very captivating with its solid storytelling and well developped characters.

bluemonster

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Just finished reading the everything up to 51 today. Now I wished I read slower. It's a fantastic manga. I also readed the mangaka's Parasyte which wasn't as good.

By the way does anyone know
why Alexander has a snake on his face? I thought he was more associated to lion? And what's up with the woman and the snake?

PitylessEnvy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The "woman" is Alexanders mom. That might have something to do with.

bluemonster

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Okay that makes a lot more sense though now I'm really curious about his mother.

Last edited:

thelwcd

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Okay that means a lot more sense though now I'm really curious about his mother.
Olumpias (mother of Alexander) was one of King Phillipos the 2nd , wifes (he had a lot) . She was not a Macedonian , she was Royalty in the Kingdom of Hpeiros (south-west of Macedonia) . She was trained as a priestess of Dionisos (bacxes) mysticism in the island of Samothrace (she had extensive knowledge of poison and drugs because of that) . She was a real bitch .
Perhaps thats the story behind the snake (the fact that she knew about drugs and poisons being a priestess of Dionisos .

Chapter 52 has been translated by HoX
You can read it here
http://www.onemanga.com/Historie/52/

Last edited:

Okuni Sensei

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
She was trained as a priestess of Dionisos (bacxes) mysticism in the island of Samothrace (she had extensive knowledge of poison and drugs because of that) . She was a real bitch .
Perhaps that's the story behind the snake (the fact that she knew about drugs and poisons being a priestess of Dionisos .
Yeah. In addition snakes are old symbols of fertility. It's no surprise to find them around a priestess of Dyonisos.

The legends of Alexander says he was the son of Olympias and the god Zeus. Because of her snakes sleeping with her, Phillipos couldn't spend nights with her. At least it's the propaganda developed by Alexander himself to justify his expansionist policy during his reign and his own exceptionalness.
It's possible (it's just a theory) the author wanted to symbolize that by adding a "birth mark" which looks like a snake. And Olympias may be completely crazy about it (as if she really need it... :p).

thelwcd

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Yeah. In addition snakes are old symbols of fertility. It's no surprise to find them around a priestess of Dyonisos.

The legends of Alexander says he was the son of Olympias and the god Zeus. Because of her snakes sleeping with her, Phillipos couldn't spend nights with her. At least it's the propaganda developed by Alexander himself to justify his expansionist policy during his reign and his own exceptionalness.
It's possible (it's just a theory) the author wanted to symbolize that by adding a "birth mark" which looks like a snake. And Olympias may be completely crazy about it (as if she really need it... :p).
The legends of Alexander says he was the son of Olympias and the god Zeus.
This is not exactly true , when Alexander conquered Egypt he went to a famous Egyptian temple , there the priests told him that he was of divine origin . From what i have read Alexander wanted to surpass his father military achievements(there always was a comparison with the son & the father) and he loved the story about Achilles and Troy from Homer . He preferred a short but bright life .
The other Greeks would never accept him as a descendant of Gods(they would consider it Hybris http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubris ) this was more propaganda for the Persians and Egyptians to accept him as a legitimate ruler of their land .
Actually Phillipos the 2nd had a lot of wifes and Olumpias was a marriage for political reasons to ally with the Kingdom of Hpeiros . Also Phillipos did not like Olumpias very much because she was a skimmer .
She was the one to arrange all the murders to the other heirs when Phillipos died

Last edited:

Okuni Sensei

Reaction score
Country
France
"Not exactly true"... I never said the propaganda was for the Greeks :p
It would have been pointless.

For Olympias I assume than the author choose to use some parts of the legends around Alexander more than the purely historical aspect. He wouldn't have been that insisting about the snakes, which are definitively false stories. Who will be able to sleep with pythons? no one is that suicidal :)

The problem is, a lot was said during his life, and after. Difficult to know what is right or wrong. Even the Egyptian priest story has to be told with some "perhaps", because it's could be a part of the propaganda for the Egyptians. They would be more receptive if the priest is, what a coincidence, a Egyptian one.
It seems Alexander wanted to create a legend of himself, he developed a complete history who begun before his birth. Of course the will of surpassing his father existed, but I think it was more than that. He loved epic stories, he wanted his own story being as exceptional as the ones of his heroes.

He succeeded, or this manga would have never existed :3

Hard_Rock

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Serbia
It would be great if this manga goes to the rest of Eumenes's life, not only childhood. I mean, the current storyline is awesome, but his life after Alexander's death was also very interesting, i won't spoil but check on wikipedia if you want. Eumenes is definitely a fascinating character and I was very surprised when reading his actions in Diadochi wars, his role wasn't insignificant at all although you don't learn at all about this in school.

thelwcd

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Finestela has posted the raws for Historie 55
you can view them here http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/details/42930
btw there are couple of Greek words in page 23 for anyone who wants the translation .
ΑΝΑΤΟΜΗ = something close to Anatomy (the basic procedure for collecting data for anatomy is called ΑΝΑΤΟΜΗ in greek) i dont know the medical term .
ΑΝΑΤΟΜΙΑ=Anatomy
ΙΧΘΥΣ= fish
ΚΑΡΔΙΑ= heart
ΗΠΑΡ= Liver
ΕΝΤΕΡΟΝ= intestine
ΓΑΣΤΗΡ= stomach ( gastric acid for example)

Nomad Soul

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Aaah, Historie. Those were the days. I have faint memory of us Editing the first four volumes. I should have known better. ;)

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Chapter 65 is out. Not bad, nothing really happened this month. At least Eumenes appeared at the end, maybe he'll be the focus again in December. I'm getting sick of the amount of time Iwaaki is spending on establishing what a nice guy Alexander is.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
chapter 68 is out. This chapter is so badass. Like, the ultimate basking in glory. :wtf

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I've been waiting for this chapter for months! The Macedonian army on the move, Eumenes glorious return, and the plot goes back into action. Eumenes forcing Hecataeus to lead his horse was glorious. I can't wait to see what enfolds, how Eumenes uses his past to manipulare the elders of Cardia. So nice to have the focus back on the main character.