Shounen - Oumagadoki Doubutsuen by Horikoshi Kouhei | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Oumagadoki Doubutsuen by Horikoshi Kouhei

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Oumagadoki Doubutsuen by HORIKOSHI Kouhei
Serialization started in WSJ #32/2010.

About the series
Aoi Hana is a clumsy high school student who's famous for screwing things up. But she's had enough of it and wants to change. How could there be any better way to this than finding herself a part-time job at the local zoo of Oumagadoki city? - After all, Hana loves nothing more than animals.
When she arrives at the Oumagadoki Zoo and gets to meet its director she's knocked right off her socks. The director turns out to be a cruel and egotistic man named Shiina who was turned into a rabbit by a curse! In order to change said witch spell he has to dedicate his life to animals and create the world's most amazing place for them to stay - that's the Oumagadoki Zoo!
But reality looks quite different. The Oumagadoki Zoo is a filthy hole that's going south. How is this place supposed to ever become number one in the world!?

That's easy: Take Hana's loves for animals, Shiina's mystical "powers" he achieved from his curse and a bunch of shape-shifting and talking animals!

About the author
Born 1986 in the prefecture Aichi Horikoshi first attracted attention in the second half of 2006 when he entered Shueisha's 72th Tezuka Award for Newcomers with his one shot "Nukegara" and made it to the final six, where he gained himself an "Honorable Mention".
Various short stories in Shueisha's Akamaru JUMP followed over the years until he published his one shot "Oumagadoki Doubutsuen" in issue #2/2010 of Weekly Shounen JUMP.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Re: [NEW] Oumagadoki Doubutsuen by Horikoshi Kouhei

Bakanhaven confirmed to me that they are going to do a Edited Manga. Going by the one shot, the raws and the translations; I can only say that I am glad that this manga got serialized. I hope it won't be too mainstream and it will be something different like Beelzebub. The mangaka is very young :oh

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

Can't wait for the Edited Manga :tem The one-shot was fantastic. I agree with Koen, I hope its not very mainstream. Mainstream enough to survive but off-beat like the one-shot as well. And he is young :oh He's younger than you Koen :p

Negative Syndicate

I'm kind of feeling like Shiina and Aoi's relationship looks similar to Neuro and Yako's relationship.

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan

I'm kind of feeling like Shiina and Aoi's relationship looks similar to Neuro and Yako's relationship.
Wow, that's a good point. That association didn't come to me at first, but now that you mention it... :tem

Just read chapter 3 from Vic and it's yet another nice one. Good comedy moments and I totally love the Shiina <-> Hana interaction. His ways of torturing her never fail to amuse me.^^

And I agree with Koen and Drmke, mainstream enough to live on, yet original enough to keep us refreshed sounds like a good formula for the series! I hope JUMP readers won't neglect it.

Galactic Tomahawk

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Finally got a chance to read this, love it so far.

Even taking Yotsuya in to account it's probably my favorite of 2010 right now.

Salce

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

There is some fansub that is doing this manga?

Sorry for my english :amuse

nassass

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hungary

Chapter 1 is available on the english Shonen Jump website, for those who can't read Japanese.

http://www.shonenjump.com/e/mangaonline/index.html

Enjoy!
It's in english.

The oneshot was better. I like the characters personality more.
In the series somehow they more simpler, perhaps for character development. :/
And i also like more the oneshot's plot.

But still it seems a very good series. :D

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Two Edited Mangas came out. I love this manga and I hope it'll keep the story it is giving us at this moment. At some point, the mangaka will have to come up with something new but these introduction chapters aren't as boring as in some other manga. They have good pace and they are funny.

I hope Edited Mangas will catch up because the animals changing in some human looking form when the zoo closes, looks fantastic

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Yeah I like the oneshot a lot back when it came out earlier this year. The series so far has been cool, neat art, interesting characters. But what I like most about it is the "goofiness"....the animals transforming into humanoids, but it isn't taken seriously. So, I find the aesthetics of it appealing......the story, the jury is still out on that, as it is with most series after only two chapters.

Sama_al_Azraq

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

I like the design when the animals transformed into humanoid. I especially like Takahiro, the hawk with headphone.
But Shiina kinda too much I think. Although he thinks of the animals as his friends he abuses them too much. Putting a giraffe neck through an elephant really overdoing it. The mangaka may want to make it looks humorous, but it doesn't feel right.
Also, how the story intent to be developed? They already have 30 animals in the zoo, wouldn't that limit the story development? They will only have animal chapter each time. I think it will be better if it start from Shiina and Hana collecting the animal from zero.
From all the chapters until now, probably I like Chita's story the most and hate the fliers story the most.
And looks like in next chapter we will have Shishido the lion vs Shiina the rabbit battle. Hope it can pump up the story.

Esc.

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada

lol, definitely a Yako/Neuro relationship. :amuse I'm glad a new series came out with something as similar as that.

So far I'm liking the story, the art is very exquisite in my opinion. Can't wait to see how it ranks when it reaches it's 8th. I could see it develop into mainstream, but I don't know how far it could actually go if they stick to the same zoo. We'll just have to see. Can't wait for more scans.

wulfy

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan

it was ranked on the lowest 5 on JUMP.......
i hope it doesnt get taken down...

Steffan

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark

It's a shame this series ranked so low on its first real run. I kind of hoped that this would be 'fresh' enough for Jump readers to actually give it a decent ranking. ]:

Let's hope it goes up as time goes by.
Oh, and if they kick this, but keep SWOT, I'll lose all hope in Jump...

Sama_al_Azraq

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

I don't think I can follow the new development...
First Shiina's hand turned back into human makes me thing the series may be over soon. Although the part where the zoo have monetary problem is fine, but making a public aquarium as rival!? And a shape-shifting orca too boot...(not that I dislike aquatic animal, but they should stay inside water) At least introduce all of the animal in the zoo before another rival appear...
PS : Aumagadoki is 18.00 while Ushimitsudoki is 2.00, and both considered as mystic hour, so it's actually a good naming.
This kinda development kinda worrying, might as preparing for cancelation...

masgrande

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I think we'll only have to worry about cancelation after Swot gets canceled.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Checked a latest chinese scan

I wonder if the mastermind behind this is the killer whale? The character on the end page, his character design looks awesome. I can't await a Edited Manga. I do hope this manga won't turn into a full action shounen

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Been a long time. I'm back in the game and I'll be trying to launch some chapters in a short amount of time in order to catch up with the current chapters from JUMP...

From what I read it really continues to be refreshingly different. It's got such a nice vibe, lovable characters and with Ushimitsu guys showing up we're entering the first bigger arc.

I don't really understand why the series performs so bad on the ToC... but well, this is 2010's WSJ. It's been one sucky year JUMP-wise all over. :/

Edit:
Just finished chapter 6 for those of you who're craving for more. It's great how Horikoshi introduced the lion Shishido in the series. I didn't like him that much in the OS but his part in the series is pretty cool.

It's overall very interesting to see how Horikoshi-sensei kept loads of characteristic scenes from the OS and how he introduced them in the series. Take for example the scene with the snake Uwabami and how she sounds like a rattle snake while laughing. (That joke appeared in chapter 5) Another example being Uwabami's crush on Shiina which was also established just recently when her rescued her from drowning, whereas it was a given in the OS.

Another little detail that I really love and hope to transport and adapt the best I can as a non-native speaker in Japanese and English are the quirky speech patterns of some characters. Each animal has its own little going on and funny enough they often fit quite nice. :tem

Last edited: