Discussion - Hanji Zoe's Gender (Beware of spoilers) | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Hanji Zoe's Gender (Beware of spoilers)

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't recall Annie's mother being shown?

As for Hange's gender, it's not specified and probably nonbinary. That was settled about a year ago, I think it was. Here's an article where someone seems to have recapped the details of that discussion, culminating in the official source quoted near the bottom of the page.

Yuki Freedom

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Myanmar
I was reading the Aot manga and found this... It was from episode 70 page 17. There Eren called hanji "Mr Hange". So I think it basically answered the confusion but I am also not sure whether it is just a miss transilation. I had my doubts on Hanji's jgender when I started reading the manga. Cause in the anime it it was a femail voice actor so i thought Hanji is female. But after readin the manga, during the time Hanji took of the spects, Hanji looks like a really hot guy (fangirl alert), but when Hanji wear the spects again he/she looks like a woman. But lately in the manga, Hanji's apperience had started to look like a guy... So, its not suprising hat majority of the ppl are confused by Hanji's gender.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was reading the Aot manga and found this... It was from episode 70 page 17. There Eren called hanji "Mr Hange". So I think it basically answered the confusion but I am also not sure whether it is just a miss transilation. I had my doubts on Hanji's jgender when I started reading the manga. Cause in the anime it it was a femail voice actor so i thought Hanji is female. But after readin the manga, during the time Hanji took of the spects, Hanji looks like a really hot guy (fangirl alert), but when Hanji wear the spects again he/she looks like a woman. But lately in the manga, Hanji's apperience had started to look like a guy... So, its not suprising hat majority of the ppl are confused by Hanji's gender.
Welcome to the MH forums, Yuki. :)

That's a fan translation's interpretation. There's no such thing as "Mr." in Japanese. Eren typically says "Hange-san," which (for adults at least) is non-gender specific. Actually, the official translators have even stated they were specifically instructed by Isayama to alternate between masculine and feminine pronouns. (I thought it was posted in this thread already but apparently it wasn't. If I find the link again I'll show you where they wrote about it.)

Last edited:

KyojinZoe

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Okay, just to kind of put this to rest:
It's a stated and know fact that for the Manga, they haven't confirmed a specific gender for Hanji (or Hange). It's left to readers interpritation of her. For the anime, though, she specifically drawn as a girl for purposes I'm not sure of. The manga is more gender fluid because she (or he) is relatable for either a guy or girl this way and appeals to both genders. The anime is confirmed female partly because, I believe, it's to help boost a popular trend of woman impowerment.

It's never shown Annie's mom anywhere I don't recall.

For Hanji's gender, the manga is non-specific and left to readers interpretation. The anime is specifically a female gender.

Last edited by a moderator:

KrysLostInSpace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, personally I like to headcanon Hanji as nonbinary, more or less neutral but leaning towards masculine. People fail to realize that femininity and gender identity having nothing to do with each other. Hanji's more "nonviolent" approach towards the titans in attempts to understand them and aid their comrades is not feminine but rather from pure intellect. Hanji and many others have observed the scale of power between them and the titans. Searching for other means to understand them (and defeat) them is just another approach. Emotional intellgience, nurturing, protecting, etc are not feminine qualities. Look at Levi, despite his awkwardness, he possessed all of this and in fact is considered the most emotional character in the series by Isayama.Yet we would not consider him feminine. The beginning of the manga Hanji was meant to be seen as more of an absolute nutjob that is eccentric and high intelligent. I wouldn't classify Hanji as masculine or feminine. I would just classify them as an emotionally regulated human with some quirks.

MeghanLaghen

Reaction score
Country
France
Hanji is actually only depicted as female in the anime.

In the manga, Hanji is non-binary; meaning Hanji is not assigned a gender role. This is the same as someone identifying as cis-female/cis-male (identifying as your biological sex), transgender (identifying as your non-biological sex), and gender-fluid (identifying as both genders; some days male, some days female). Hanji being non-binary means they identify as neither. At least, as far as we know; because the author has left their gender/sex open to interpretation.

Hajime Isayama has not tacked a gender or sex on them, and translators of the manga have been instructed not to do so as well.
So, if you want to be correct about it, you should be addressing Hanji with gender-neutral pronouns like they/them.
Maybe, but Hajime Isayama said he'd let the animators choose her gender.
They chose female so please respect their choice
She is not Non-binary nor cis-male nor transgender nor gender-fluid.
The author lets the animators choose her gender.

sean_cam

Reaction score
Country
United States
not to mention her name is very likely correctly translated "Angie."
Why do I keep seeing this everywhere? This is simply not true and entirely made up. I could see an English localization changing her name to Angie because that is just what they do, but the names being similar does not make Angie the intended name. Japanese is entirely phonetic and all the sounds needed to write Angie already exist in Japanese, so Isayama would have no motive to add an "h" sound if the intended romanized name was Angie. "Correctly translated" lol