Art - Hoshino's Instagram Account and Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Art Hoshino's Instagram Account and Discussion Thread

Chloesong

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
EDIT: SPOILER ALERT For Chapter 219+
THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN POTENTIAL SPOILERS
due to the nature of the pictures.

Let's discuss! :celebrate

Although there isn't an offical announcement yet, it looks like there will definitely be a new D. Gray-man chapter coming soon. In the meantime, let's talk about the beautiful drawings on her account. I've really missed her style!

For those who haven't seen it yet:
http://instagram.com/hoshino1000

I'm really happy that there is now a way to communicate with Hoshino-sensei, that's she's using social media, and interacting with her fans. Although it says that she doesn't read English well, I think it's still awesome that there is now a way to leave comments for Hoshino-sensei. For years, she had essentially dissappeared, and today I found that that she even had been personally responding to her fans! -->http://instagram.com/p/t9q62Vif7F/?modal=true xD

I really love all the pictures on her instagram.

To start:
It was really heartwarming that she drew this! I know a lot of fans, including myself, were disappointed that there wasn't any news despite the 10-year anniversary. I'm glad to know she remembered and received lots of mail from her fans.

What do you think about Allen's new look? Do you think the slimness of his face is temporary? Do you like his long hair?
[/url]
[/IMG]

I'm just so happy Hoshino-sensei is okay and there is new D. gray-man content coming! :D

PS. A HUGE Thank you to Ebti for making this discovering in the Hiatus Thread! <3

Last edited:

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Re: HOSHINO SENSEI IS BACK!/INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT

I'm gonna love the new Allen look if he keeps it in a ponytail all the time XD I just hope we won't see him with a gloomy face like that all the time :|

Actually I wanted to ask everyone,

http://instagram.com/p/uf_f6uif5Z/

anyone thinks they know what Allen's holding? My imagination sucks :XD Did Allen have some jewelry?

NonExisted

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam

He is just checking his hand.
People, please note the chapter 219 or further spoiler pics :(

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

one of the best pics on her instagram

http://instagram.com/p/tutQpgif_e/

she has been drawing lavi a lot, his coming back soon i think

Chloesong

Reaction score
Country
United States

He is just checking his hand.
People, please note the chapter 219 or further spoiler pics :(
Non-chan, I added a spoiler alert at the top. Let me know if that works! ^^ Also, is it okay to discuss the possible spoiler pics here, or should we do it in the spoiler thread :)?

http://instagram.com/p/uf_f6uif5Z/

anyone thinks they know what Allen's holding? My imagination sucks :XD Did Allen have some jewelry?
OH! I noticed that strange nub too. I thought at first that it was the tracking/electrocuting bracelet Johnny put on Allen, but you can see tiny legs at the botton of the nub. I'm not too sure either what it is. It is really hard to imagine. ^^;

I also thought that panel looks like Nea instead of Allen! If you look at the corner panel, where there are blue lines, it looks like Allen/Nea just finished deactivating the left hand, and at the bottom he's making a fist after it turned back into a hand. All just guesses though. :P

http://instagram.com/p/tfegV8Cf_U/?modal=true
I noticed that she has her cat's profile as her phone bg pic! I do that with my dog's picture too. :3 She must really love her cat. This is the same cat Koro/Coro that's mentioned in the Vol 22 intro/cover, right? Same age as the DGM series? :D? He is really cute x3
I wish it was possible to tilt this picture to get a better look at the panels. I'm so curious. The upper panel, where maybe Allen is taking a step, looks epic. I'm confused as to how/why Lavi is there. Maybe Allen/Nea is thinking about Lavi and the chapter ends withi him deciding to look for him? Maybe the next arc is a save-Lavi-arc/backstory arc? :D

--------
Speculation based on the instagram images,
http://instagram.com/p/tfc2JHCf8Z/?modal=true
Allen is still in the alleyway where we last left off with him confronting the Earl with Johnny. He still has the wound near his mouth from when the Earl threw him into the wall. Since Allen's arm is still homing and out of control, Apocryphos is still nearby. Allen's expression seems less panicky/angry, so I am guessing that the Earl probably retreated and Allen realizes or witnesses something after meeting the Earl.

http://instagram.com/p/tXo_tNCf6y/?modal=true
There are two images of Tyki. The first one, he looks like he is either getting up after being thrown or tired after chasing someone/probably Allen. He doesn't look antagonistic, so it's possible he was trying to convince Allen again to join him.
In the second image, Tyki is shaking Wisely, probably for messing something up. Fiddler is there too and the last time we saw him, he was with Lavi. Since Fiddler is there, Wisely might have messed up something related to Lavi. You can also see a carriage in the back which Tyki is lifting Wisely up from. If it's a comedic panel, maybe it's not related to Lavi, and Wisely is just helping Tyki track down Allen. I'm not sure why Fiddler's face is on the floor relative to Tyki and Wisely though. ^^;

http://instagram.com/p/uf_f6uif5Z/?modal=true
Two images of Allen. As I mentioned above, I speculate that in the first one, it's Nea, based on the expression. To be honest I'm really confused what's happening in this picture. I think for sure that the lower left panel contains a fingernail pointing left.
I think the nub looks either like the tracking bracelet Johnny put on Allen, or a little spider with a top hat. ^^;
The page might show Allen crushing something in his fist (the top right panel has either an object or clouds of dust in his hand. The dust cloud is maybe the size of a crushed Timcampy? I can't tell if Kanda left Timcampy on the floor or not in 217 pg27).
Or the page might show Nea getting used to Allen's Innocence arm. He might be making a fist to test it out.
Either way, in the first page, Allen still has the wounds on his face, near his lip, so it's shortly after the meeting with the Earl/where we left off. Also from the clipped page above, there was recently some kind of action going on with the innocence arm.

In the second image, you can clearly see on the top right that it's Allen. He has Crown Clown activated as he takes the step. Also in the lower panel with Lavi, you can see the Crown Clown mask on his back. His face also doesn't have the wounds anymore so either Hoshino didn't add them yet or this image is further along the story. In my opinion it looks like a last page or a transition page. I also think that it hints at Allen going to search for Lavi. This image has a refreshing feel, like a setting-off-on-a-new-journey kind of feel for me. In the latest chapters, Allen has been really desperate and Timcampy even died. He was cornered by the Earl, Apocryphos, Johnny and Kanda, as well the Noah. I'm curious as to what happened between Ch218 and this page that would allow him to smile in this hopeful and purposeful way. It's too much to hope for, but maybe Apocryphos is defeated? Allen found a clue that the Bookman knows about Nea? I don't see Kanda, Johnny, (or Timcampy :() so it looks like Allen's setting off on his own. Assuming that Kanda and Johnny are returning to the Order and that Allen is setting off to find Bookman/Lavi, it's pretty exciting to be honest. :)

I think it's really cool to see the images pre-text bubble. The quality of her drawings is so good. <3
What do you guys think? ^o^?

Last edited:

Iownamovingcastle

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

I love the redesign on Allen. I love his outfit and he looks so aged up. I guess he was definitely being aged up by the last chapters of the manga too though. I actually like the long hair too. Maybe I am just glad to have him back ha ha. I would love a save Lavi arc soon too though I am not sure how to resolve it to that point in one chapter. Someone else made the good point that she could be working on up to a year's worth of chapters right now so all of these panels may not be from Ch 219 necessarily.

Chloesong

Reaction score
Country
United States

I love the redesign on Allen. I love his outfit and he looks so aged up. I guess he was definitely being aged up by the last chapters of the manga too though. I actually like the long hair too. Maybe I am just glad to have him back ha ha. I would love a save Lavi arc soon too though I am not sure how to resolve it to that point in one chapter. Someone else made the good point that she could be working on up to a year's worth of chapters right now so all of these panels may not be from Ch 219 necessarily.
Ah you're right! I didn't notice it until now but Allen does look a lot older now. I couldn't put my finger on it, but he's being looking really different. I'm glad to have him and the DGM world back too haha. It's like the stopped time is moving again. *glee* And wow a possible year-worth of chapters... If that's the case, is it too much to ask for weekly releases? x3 I agree that some of the pictures she posted might be much further along than Ch. 219. At the same time, usually whenever she returns from hiatus, I remember getting a lot of content. So maybe a double chapter? :D?

Last edited:

fuff

Reaction score
Country
Canada

best day ever!!!! so glad to see her drawing again <3 <3 <3

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia

Btw, was it common knowledge that Hoshino draws with a graphic tablet? I never noticed it while reading manga. However it is I approve, I wonder if it's better for her drawing hand/body. I imagine it should be faster as well..?

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam

Btw, was it common knowledge that Hoshino draws with a graphic tablet? I never noticed it while reading manga. However it is I approve, I wonder if it's better for her drawing hand/body. I imagine it should be faster as well..?
I have always doubted it ever since the begining of Searching for A.W arc, as the lines looked like they were done digitally. My suspicion increased when I saw her art for Valvrave box set and DGM volumn 24 and everything is confirmed now...I just didn't expect an actual Cintiq 13HD (base price $999). I thought it was a Bamboo or Intuous, as I believed I saw it in a photo of her studio

The speed still heavily depends on the artist's ability and mind, however. But if Hoshino wants to fix something, she doesn't have to re-draw entire page.

Last edited:

tgirl

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I found out about Hoshino's Instagram through the JP blogger's site. I was translating parts of it bit by bit, but some of the sentences made me a little confused until I clicked the link and ta-dah! Hoshino's 10th anniversary picture appeared before me that was posted just one day ago. My jaw dropped. Then, I thought to myself that this is great. We can show her Instagram to just about any doubter/rumor spreader, who thought Hoshino died or was fired from Jump. I posted a comment on her Instagram. This is great. A much easier way to get in touch with her. At least, she's received many fan letters so that's wonderful. She's been posting for two weeks now? Oki doki.

Non-chan, I added a spoiler alert at the top. Let me know if that works! ^^ Also, is it okay to discuss the possible spoiler pics here, or should we do it in the spoiler thread :)?

OH! I noticed that strange nub too. I thought at first that it was the tracking/electrocuting bracelet Johnny put on Allen, but you can see tiny legs at the botton of the nub. I'm not too sure either what it is. It is really hard to imagine. ^^;

I also thought that panel looks like Nea instead of Allen! If you look at the corner panel, where there are blue lines, it looks like Allen/Nea just finished deactivating the left hand, and at the bottom he's making a fist after it turned back into a hand. All just guesses though. :P

I noticed that she has her cat's profile as her phone bg pic! I do that with my dog's picture too. :3 She must really love her cat. This is the same cat Koro/Coro that's mentioned in the Vol 22 intro/cover, right? Same age as the DGM series? :D? He is really cute x3
I wish it was possible to tilt this picture to get a better look at the panels. I'm so curious. The upper panel, where maybe Allen is taking a step, looks epic. I'm confused as to how/why Lavi is there. Maybe Allen/Nea is thinking about Lavi and the chapter ends withi him deciding to look for him? Maybe the next arc is a save-Lavi-arc/backstory arc? :D

--------
Speculation based on the instagram images,
Allen is still in the alleyway where we last left off with him confronting the Earl with Johnny. He still has the wound near his mouth from when the Earl threw him into the wall. Since Allen's arm is still homing and out of control, Apocryphos is still nearby. Allen's expression seems less panicky/angry, so I am guessing that the Earl probably retreated and Allen realizes or witnesses something after meeting the Earl.

http://instagram.com/p/tXo_tNCf6y/?modal=true
There are two images of Tyki. The first one, he looks like he is either getting up after being thrown or tired after chasing someone/probably Allen. He doesn't look antagonistic, so it's possible he was trying to convince Allen again to join him.
In the second image, Tyki is shaking Wisely, probably for messing something up. Fiddler is there too and the last time we saw him, he was with Lavi. Since Fiddler is there, Wisely might have messed up something related to Lavi. You can also see a carriage in the back which Tyki is lifting Wisely up from. If it's a comedic panel, maybe it's not related to Lavi, and Wisely is just helping Tyki track down Allen. I'm not sure why Fiddler's face is on the floor relative to Tyki and Wisely though. ^^;

http://instagram.com/p/uf_f6uif5Z/?modal=true
Two images of Allen. As I mentioned above, I speculate that in the first one, it's Nea, based on the expression. To be honest I'm really confused what's happening in this picture. I think for sure that the lower left panel contains a fingernail pointing left.
I think the nub looks either like the tracking bracelet Johnny put on Allen, or a little spider with a top hat. ^^;
The page might show Allen crushing something in his fist (the top right panel has either an object or clouds of dust in his hand. The dust cloud is maybe the size of a crushed Timcampy? I can't tell if Kanda left Timcampy on the floor or not in 217 pg27).
Or the page might show Nea getting used to Allen's Innocence arm. He might be making a fist to test it out.
Either way, in the first page, Allen still has the wounds on his face, near his lip, so it's shortly after the meeting with the Earl/where we left off. Also from the clipped page above, there was recently some kind of action going on with the innocence arm.

In the second image, you can clearly see on the top right that it's Allen. He has Crown Clown activated as he takes the step. Also in the lower panel with Lavi, you can see the Crown Clown mask on his back. His face also doesn't have the wounds anymore so either Hoshino didn't add them yet or this image is further along the story. In my opinion it looks like a last page or a transition page. I also think that it hints at Allen going to search for Lavi. This image has a refreshing feel, like a setting-off-on-a-new-journey kind of feel for me. In the latest chapters, Allen has been really desperate and Timcampy even died. He was cornered by the Earl, Apocryphos, Johnny and Kanda, as well the Noah. I'm curious as to what happened between Ch218 and this page that would allow him to smile in this hopeful and purposeful way. It's too much to hope for, but maybe Apocryphos is defeated? Allen found a clue that the Bookman knows about Nea? I don't see Kanda, Johnny, (or Timcampy :() so it looks like Allen's setting off on his own. Assuming that Kanda and Johnny are returning to the Order and that Allen is setting off to find Bookman/Lavi, it's pretty exciting to be honest. :)

I think it's really cool to see the images pre-text bubble. The quality of her drawings is so good. <3
What do you guys think? ^o^?
Very interesting speculation, Chloesong. I'm going to only theorize a little bit off of the images that may not be all from 219. However...,
The end of 218 left us with a vague ending so I don't completely see Allen being taken over by Nea so soon again. I have a feeling Allen's going to have an identity crisis on hand. The Noah all have this "the host's memories will swallow up the host bit by bit..." kind of thing. However, Allen's pre-Mana personality was that of a sassy mouth kid. Edit: Changing this sentence and adding in more. Before, I put down that the look may be what a sassy kid would truly look like if he lost Mana's mask forever, but the more I stare at it, the more I'm looking at a mature-looking Allen. An Allen, who seemed to have lost a bit of the genuine smile he has gained when being with his friends. New!Allen actually makes me a bit nervous. Did Nea's memories play a role in his transformation? Did Allen's "lost memories" play a role? So many factors here. His choice of clothing is pretty interesting too. There's some mystery attached to it. The inner part of the sleeves can be removed. His arm and hand gear can be altered. Someone has given him new duds. Question is, who? :huh:

However, that long hair style bit reminds me of the past!Allen a little. Although, we still don't know much about Allen's "previous life". Come to think of it, that's also the look I predict Allen will have if he ever finds Tim's broken body. ;___; He's going to be sooo upset and angry at Apo guy. :0 I'd carry that kind of look too if I ever discovered my best friend splintered to pieces like that.

As for Lavi, I'm actually going to guess that he will come in to save the day out of nowhere. He looks too fine and healthy upbeat in those panels. (What did Bookman do?) O__o Which could pretty much explain the funny panel of Tyki going, "what did you do!?" to Wisely. So, maybe the mission isn't to save Lavi but to save Bookman? .... I mean, we seriously need to save Bookman! And also, save Tim!

Hope is on the horizon for 219! Hooope....

Last edited:

ying_su

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Thank you very much Chloesong for creating the thread!
I'm at work now so I cannot stop to comment on all the pictures but I want to say: I love that she likes Janis Joplin and I LOVE BAT-TIMCAMPY!!!!

http://instagram.com/p/u3awF4if2k/?modal=true

:)

Shaera

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia

Ah you're right! I didn't notice it until now but Allen does look a lot older now. I couldn't put my finger on it, but he's being looking really different. I'm glad to have him and the DGM world back too haha. It's like the stopped time is moving again. *glee* And wow a possible year-worth of chapters... If that's the case, is it too much to ask for weekly releases? x3 I agree that some of the pictures she posted might be much further along than Ch. 219. At the same time, usually whenever she returns from hiatus, I remember getting a lot of content. So maybe a double chapter? :D?
Our baby is growing up *wipes away tear* he looks so fabulous.

Chloesong

Reaction score
Country
United States

Spoiler just because possible spoiler from the instagram pic
Wow non-chan, your eyes are really sharp! I had a hard time finding the bag, even after knowing there was one there. Do you mean the bag that looks like it's in the carriage, behind Wisely?

Last edited:

ying_su

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Aren't those the curtains of the carriage?
It also seems that one of its doors (curtains included) is falling down after the hit (presumably).

Shaera

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia

Aren't those the curtains of the carriage?
It also seems that one of its doors (curtains included) is falling down after the hit (presumably).
I was thinking the same. It looks more like courtain than a bag...

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam

Yeah, it's the door's curtain

---------- Post added November 05, 2014 at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was November 04, 2014 at 08:46 PM ----------

A reminder that Hoshino didn't actually read and reply in English. She was using google translate

Yuukka

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

New thanking post by Hoshino-sensei ^O^

お騒がせしてすみません。感謝の気持ちを何か形にしておきたくて描いたのですが、こんなに沢山の方からコメントを頂けるとは思ってもいませんでした。温かい言葉をありがとうございます。まだすべてのコメントを読めていませんが、全部ちゃんと読ませていただきます。
thank you for the warm words. it does not read yet all,but i will read all. i am very enjoy the comments from people so a lot

Chloesong

Reaction score
Country
United States

New thanking post by Hoshino-sensei ^O^

お騒がせしてすみません。感謝の気持ちを何か形にしておきたくて描いたのですが、こんなに沢山の方からコメントを頂けるとは思ってもいませんでした。温かい言葉をありがとうございます。まだすべてのコメントを読めていませんが、全部ちゃんと読ませていただきます。
thank you for the warm words. it does not read yet all,but i will read all. i am very enjoy the comments from people so a lot
Hahahah you beat me to it! I was just about to post this. Just shows how much the fandom is excited about this. XD<3333 I'm so happy :D

-------------------
Using google translate Japanese to Korean, and then my translation off the Korean to English (in other words, vaguely translated)

시끄럽게 해 죄송합니다. 감사 무언가 모양으로 두고 싶어 그린 습니다만 , 이렇게 많은 분들이 댓글 을 받을 수 있다고 는 생각하지 않았습니다 . 따뜻한 말 을 감사합니다. 아직 모든 코멘트 를 읽을 하지 않지만 모두 제대로 읽지 하겠습니다 .

I'm sorry for making a fuss. [Literally, for making it loud/noisy]. I wanted to show my thanks in some form, I didn't even imagine that so many people would leave comments. Thank you for the warm words left in the comments. I can't read all the comments yet, but I will try my best to read them all.
----------------
Using google translate/literal from Japanese

I'm sorry for the fuss. My feelings of thanks I wanted to make it some kind of form, this many people's comments I didn't imagine. Thank you very much for the warm words. I haven't read all the comments yet, I will try to read them all.
-----------
In other words, she cares, you guys! ;o; She knows we love DGM and are happy about her coming back. T___T That expression on Allen is perfect. x3 And it's a good sign that Tim is on his shoulders right :D? #LOVE *sobs* :crying<3

Last edited: