Discussion - How deep is your canon... | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion How deep is your canon...

RezzieThaRapper

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
When it comes to cannon, it's a bit of a touchy subject, now on a site called MangaHelpers I would expect most of you to strictly use the manga and refute anything else as filler.

I always imagined that the anime was a dedicated expansion of the source material, and though it has had a few mistakes, it is the very next level of reliability. That's why when it comes to arguments, I accept anime only sequences along with the manga (and SBS) as proper etiquette unless the manga completely contradicts a statement or event.

When it comes to the movies, it is a bit trickier, there are movies that can be placed neatly in the cannon with a simple filler arc to prelude it. I personally consider Strong World & Film Z to be compressed sagas Oda couldn't fit into the manga. And many of the other movies (except the alabasta and drum movies) can be placed in series fairly neatly in much the same way.

So how far does your cannon stretch..

Manga only.

Manga & Anime only.

Or are you like me, and accept anything that doesn't contradict the main story. (I get way more to analyze this way as well lol)

TheLuffySmile

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Re: How deep is your cannon...

Unless something else is stated by Oda sensei, I go by Manga and SBS only.

To summarize: SBS, Manga, Databooks, Color Walks, (Strong World, maybe, I'd like Oda to confirm it if so). And/or things stated/confirmed by Oda sensei himself.
Anything that contradicts the Manga or doesn't follow the main storyline is off the table.
Edit: Chapter 0 is also on the table. That takes place before the current storyline.

Last edited:

hoeru

Reaction score
Country
Mauritius

To me it's like this: Manga, SBS, databooks (as summary of both manga and sbs) and Color Walks which may contain interviews and other background information are canon. Strong World is canon, too, as it had (a) an introduction chapter all about Shiki escaping from Enies Lobby, (b) was written by Oda, (c) got a special volume in which Oda wrote some lines about SW being Luffy's last adventure as 17 year old. (Film Z got none of it, so it's not canon.)

The TV show mixed up, left out and appended too much stuff which also contradict both manga and even earlier episodes. Moreover many of the vital scenes were screwed either by being much too detailless or crapped by some scribblekid. And as most other anime productions about One Piece are based on the original work even more loosely, they can't be considered canon either.

jimtors

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

For me only manga, but the databooks is no vital but still i consider true... U may argue with the latter, again i want to say it is ture but not vital..

yieps

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Well, obviously whatever the author calls canon which is usually whatever he wrote himself. Databooks seem to be written by his assistants but published under his name so, to me, it is implied that those are canon, too.
However, even though Oda said Strong World is true to the manga it still doesn't make sense how Shiki was able to destroy half of the headquarters while fighting against two admirals who mastered haki and then, 20 years later, still loosing to Luffy pre-timeskip. In addition, Garp defeated Chinjao with just one punch six years before his fight with Shiki.
Chapter 0 without the movie isn't much better either because then Shiki is still somewhere preparing for his return but since, presumably, we won't see him in the main story, why wouldn't he make his move?
So to me, only the Character Shiki is definitely canon, the rest I ignore as long it is not relevant.

Last edited:

TheLuffySmile

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

^ I would really like to ask Oda sensei if Strong World and chapter 0 can actually be considered canon or not. Damn so indecisive! Maybe maybe not? Both Hoeru and yeips are making strong points for both sides.

alelucas

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Canon? Only stuff inside Manga (from title page to SBS)!

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I go by manga only. SBS and databooks aren't always accurate or complete info despite what people like to think, and anime likes to take liberties.

Razh

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Only manga, special chapters (about Shiki and Z) and SBS. Databooks are just for recaps and some extra, plot-irrelevant info. It's simple.

TheLuffySmile

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Only manga, special chapters (about Shiki and Z) and SBS. Databooks are just for recaps and some extra, plot-irrelevant info. It's simple.
You put it exactly how I wanted to put it.
Could you please provide a link to the special chapter about Z?

Last edited:

Razh

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
You put it exactly how I wanted to put it.
Could you please provide a link to the special chapter about Z?
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/One_Piece_Volume_1000

You can see what it's about there. I don't think there's a Edited Manga of it yet, but I could be wrong. Anyway, among other things it mentioned that the current only unknown Shichibukai is some pirate with devil fruit that cut Z's arm off and killed most of his crew like 30 years ago (don't remember exact number of years). Since the history of the volume ties in with the current plot, it should be considered canon. What happened in the movie, never happened in manga timeline.

0Xellos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Everything straight by Oda. That means no anime (I don't watch it, anyways), no wiki etc, but I accept databooks, SBS and such.

Razh

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Wiki is a good source of straight info. The one that is marked by footnotes, so you can see from which chapter or which SBS the info came.

But since it's written by other readers, the conclusions can sometimes be stretched or plain wrong.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I go by manga only. SBS and databooks aren't always accurate or complete info despite what people like to think, and anime likes to take liberties.
In other words you're saying Oda contradicts himself and his own works.
SBS and Databooks are supposed to be Oda no different to the manga.

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
if oda has input on an anime episode that did not take place in the manga, or a movie

i can accept it as partial canon

if he actually writes the plot for a movie or episode

to me it is canon even if he doesnt animate it

this is a very interesting topic though, i like the idea of the thread

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Manga, SBS, Oda's interviews/anything that comes out of his mouth and databooks that have information backed up by the manga.

Personally I find the fillers and non-Strong World films to be doing a good job at respecting the source material so I'm never like, "OMG THIS ISN'T CANONNNNNN!!!!! :nerve"

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Personally I find the fillers and non-Strong World films to be doing a good job at respecting the source material so I'm never like, "OMG THIS ISN'T CANONNNNNN!!!!! :nerve"
Lol? Non-Strong World films are SUPER non-canon.
Like when Zoro took out Sanji in Movie 5? Movie 8 & 9 which are just alternate reality versions of the Alabasta arc and the Drum Kingdom arc?
Like when Luffy the DF user ran about and played in the OCEAN in Movie 6?
I could go on.
Only particular Movies that Oda was involved in are canon.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
In other words you're saying Oda contradicts himself and his own works.
SBS and Databooks are supposed to be Oda no different to the manga.
I honestly don't care, manga is 100% fact. SBS isn't always fact, while databooks aren't either or might not have full information. Databooks, if I recall, go by manga and aren't updated as the chapters or arcs go by. There are volumes that release every year or so.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Lol? Non-Strong World films are SUPER non-canon.
Like when Zoro took out Sanji in Movie 5? Movie 8 & 9 which are just alternate reality versions of the Alabasta arc and the Drum Kingdom arc?
Like when Luffy the DF user ran about and played in the OCEAN in Movie 6?
I could go on.
Only particular Movies that Oda was involved in are canon.
Where in my post did I say that they were canon though? All I did was EQUATING fillers WITH all the films that aren't Strong World.

Anduren

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally, I always just go by whatever the manga says. There did come a time though, that it turned out some of the stuff about where the strawhats went to during the time skip was shown in the anime before it officially showed up in the manga, so I do put some degree of faith in the anime except when it's inconsistent with the manga. I don't consider myself an expert on One Piece, so whatever else that comes up (SBS, movies, etc.) I just see as extra information that doesn't have a big impact or influence on the actual main story. It's not like One Piece has far reaching inconsistencies like some of the other manga I'm keeping up with right now so I'm not too bothered about those things.... But at least for the anime, I find it easier to understand what's going on when its animated that sometimes gives extra information about the story that black and white manga panels don't always show.

Reactions: M3J