Theory - Imu is an AI | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Imu is an AI

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Imu seems to be an immortal being, who originated from 800-900 years ago. During that time, there was an kingdom far more technologically advanced.

Imu always has a blank stare, with red glowing eyes. Imu also talk in a very direct manner.

Ju Peter questioned Imu about the reason behind the destruction Lulusia Kingdom, which Imu simply replied "its proximity". It seems Imu is extremely calculating, to the point which the Gorosei have difficulty understanding their decisions. But Imu is willingly to provide Ju Peter with an answer.

The word mu (無) means "to lack", "without", "nothingness", etc. It's also used as a negative prefix, equivalent to "un-" in English. In Zen Buddhism, mu is an answer to a question that depends on invalid assumptions. The implication is that Imu is nobody. In a way, there's no supreme ruler to the world, the Gorosei simply follow the predictions of a supercomputer.

Like inanimate objects, an AI can also have a Devil Fruit ability. But it's also possible that Imu's abilities are something else.

Last edited:

DeadlyBeast

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting idea. I haven't seen this one before but could fit the story. Maybe the AK built it and it turned on them at some point and manipulated human kings to take out the AK and make itself the supreme ruler. Would definitely be an interesting twist to the story. I would hope if we go this route that Imu still has a personality and isn't a boring just logic type villain.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
How does Nerona Imu fit in this theory?

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
interesting indeed, even before the IA theory, it seems that advanced technology / Sci-fi, have been playing major role in the WG/Void century...

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
How does Nerona Imu fit in this theory?
That would be more specific to the story.

If you want an answer, I'm thinking of an episode of Star Trek which a scientist uploads his consciousness in the body of an android.

costicla

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I still think that Imu and the Gorose are immortal because of the Ope Ope no Mi. I don't think Oda would give the Eternal Life surgery thing as an ability and then never have it be used on anyone. That, or some other, even more outlandish Mythical Zoan fruit is the cause, if Imu and the Gorosei have Devil Fruits.

Also could an AI have a Devil Fruit? Vegapunk is the one who managed to feed Devil Fruits to objects in the present and he obviously has nothing to do with Imu. Of course, the Ancient kindom seems to have been extremely advanced, even more so and than Egghead, so they might have had the means to also give objects Devil Fruits back then.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
At least, this is an interesting take on Imu. And I did not know about the Buddhist "Mu".

We do have cyborgs and robots already, though, so I think it would lose a bit of the punch intended if so. I guess Oda hints more toward the demonic and nightmare-ish rather than robotic. It would also be a better fit regarding the abilities of Gorosei.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I still think that Imu and the Gorose are immortal because of the Ope Ope no Mi. I don't think Oda would give the Eternal Life surgery thing as an ability and then never have it be used on anyone. That, or some other, even more outlandish Mythical Zoan fruit is the cause, if Imu and the Gorosei have Devil Fruits.
Since Ivankov mentioned the same theory as fans, that Imu used the Ope Ope no Mi to become immortal... then it must be something else :yoda

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
AI that rules the world, could have been built by an alien civilization as well...so both theories may relate to each other after all

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
One interesting twist could be expanding on VPs idea of Punk Records. It's potentially possible that the AK built their own version of Punk Records (without using the brain fruit) and actually managed to connect more people to it than VP (it was just him & satellites) creating an internet of sorts. This system may have come alive on its own and become the AI that is Imu. Or alternatively maybe Imu Nerona is a human CD who connected to the ancient PK & the AI that managed it, and his/her evil took over it resulting in a new being born (a combination of the AI & Imu). The risk that Jinbei mentioned about PK may have already happened in the ancient past and the cause of the AK is not the 20 kings but actually them losing control of their own technology.

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is Imu interested in Vivi then? Definitely driven by emotions since Imu most likely interacted with Lili (she betrayed Imu).

Another instance of emotion is when he went to the giant strawhat. Basically, remembering the past or walking down the memory lane. A supercomputer wouldn't do that since passage of time wouldn't be a problem.

Also, when Imu stabbed all the wanted posters. Showing its emotions that drives those actions.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Why is Imu interested in Vivi then? Definitely driven by emotions since Imu most likely interacted with Lili (she betrayed Imu).

Another instance of emotion is when he went to the giant strawhat. Basically, remembering the past or walking down the memory lane. A supercomputer wouldn't do that since passage of time wouldn't be a problem.

Also, when Imu stabbed all the wanted posters. Showing its emotions that drives those actions.
You got a point.

I guess Imu is not emotionless. At least they seemed very pissed at Cobra when he revealed the Nefertari are also of the D clan.

But AIs are not emotionless in One Piece, at least the robots in the moon had emotions, and now we got the Iron Giant apologizing to Joyboy. But if that's the case, then Imu doesn't even have to be an AI.

They may just have a robotic body. This tie in with the theory that the Gorosei are Imu's satellites, since at least half of Vegapunk satellites are also robots.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States

AI doesn't have to be emotionless. That's a limitation in what humans in the real world have currently developed but if the assumption is Imu is an AI developed by a super advanced civilization that has surpassed anything we've seen in OP so far then its very conceivable to have achieved a General AI system that can have emotions, desires, vendettas, etc.

Movies like Artificial Intelligence and iRobot explore this side of things with AI and could be a good model for what Imu is if this AI theory pans out.