First Round - Kengan Omega vs. Tokyo Ghoul | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

First Round Kengan Omega vs. Tokyo Ghoul

Who wins?

• Kengan Omega

• Tokyo Ghoul

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Kengan Omega
Sandrovich Yakabo & Daremeon
Tokyo Ghoul
Sui Ishida

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Voting for Kengan Omega. I never got into Tokyo Ghoul that much, although that's probably because I watched only the anime. Still, Kengan Omega has amazing art, amazing fights with unpredictable outcomes and a lot of really interesting characters that have a lot of potential. It is currently one of the mangas I've been having the most fun reading.

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Me too giving my support to kengan omega

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
All right.

For those of you who don't know about Kengan Omega, I'll start by stating it's an ongoing weekly direct sequel to Kengan Asura (or Kengan Ashura): a GREAT series that's just an as highly recommended read as Kengan Omega.

There are two other series in the same "Kenganverse" that predate Omega but are more spin-offs than anything else and can't brag about the same godlike drawing style Asura and Omega display.

Synopsis
Narushima Koga is a skilled but problematic young fighter obsessed with getting a rematch against the legendary Tokita Ohma (the main character from Kengan Asura), who kicked his ass three years ago. Koga finds out about Ohma's participation in the Kengan Matches: underground fights between representatives of large corporations and businesses who settle conflicts and business deals by their representative fighters. Of course, Koga is more than just a little excited to find more about these Kengan Matches and Ohma's whereabouts.

I'm not willing to give too much away since, for a martial arts manga, the plot really is actually interesting and engaging, but throw in an interesting deuteragonist that despite not being evil has no morals and can't tell why killing someone is "bad", a rival underground tournaments ready to fight for the monopoly of the industry, more than one ancient evil clan of assassins with their own agendas, certain elements of sci-fi technology, and a well-written expansion of every plot from Kengan Asura.

The Good Parts
Despite this being a fighting shonen, it's much more than any average fighting shonen. The fights are mostly over the top, with certain fighters being clearly in the superhuman realm, but every single fighter (and there are lots of them) has a clearly differentiable martial style.
Of course, every character has his won backstory, personality strengths, weaknesses and goals. Relating to some of them and becoming fond of most of them is an easy task.

Most of the fighting styles used throughout the series are based on real martial arts, which makes it even more entertaining for martial arts freaks such as myself, even if the strength of the techniques is mostly exaggerated for shonen's sake. On the other hand, those few styles that are entirely fictional are just COOL.

Not only are the martial arts and how they are represented sweet; the fight choreographies are top tier and the superb quality of the drawings just makes it even sweeter.

For those who are into comedy or ecchi, Kengan Omega also provides some between all the fighting:

The Even Better Parts
There are certain elements that make this shonen stand out even from its current peers, just like the original Kengan Asura:

1- The sweat and the blood.
Kengan Omega goes through great lengths to show the progressive growth of our boy Koga, who despite being a genius has to really up his game if he ever wants to be on the level of the world's fiercest fighters. Such a level-up can't happen overnight and this manga won't pretend that it's possible nor will it resort to simplifying it to a simple training montage and a timeskip.

This manga reaches a special balance:
- On one hand there's the crude reality of underground fighting; there's blood, there's death (mostly outside of the ring) and there is some gory stuff.
- On the other hand, the gore is never gratuitous and, is always well justified by the plot, which allows the manga to remain maintain a certain "elegance".

So far it's been much less gore than its predecessor Kengan Asura, though.

2- The unpredictability.
There are some very clear antagonists and villains in this story, but not every enemy is one of them.
The nature of the Kengan Matches and the plot behind the first tournament of this manga, make it so enemy fighters are just representatives with morals that are not necessarily antagonistic nor evil. For the same reason, certain allies like Kure Raian are murderous crazies with clearly twisted moralities.

What's interesting about this is that matches between non-antagonistic characters are the most unpredictable. Add to that how new fighters with styles unknown to the readers are constantly introduced and this ruthless manga won't let you guess the winner of most of it's matches. Something Kengan Asura already excelled at.

3- The sportsmanship.
This is one of the most beautiful aspects of the Kenganverse for me.
Yes, there are some evil, twisted or apathetic characters that are exceptions to this but, as I mentioned on the previous point, most fighters are just representatives doing a job; most of them just for money, fame or for their love of martial arts and the thrill of the fight.
Every single fight in the series has at least two fighters beating eachother to a pulp until they K.O. their opponent on a blood pool, yet once the fight is over they bond with each other and many of them remain friends for life, setting aside every resentment they could have from losing and having only respect for eachother.

This, of course, does not apply to the true villains of the story, mostly unrelated to the underground fights.

Animation
Sadly, Kengan Omega is not animated, but Netflix is slowly adapting Kengan Asura (with a little less blood but pretty good nevertheless), so I'll share both the first opening of Kengan Asura:

And the song of its first ending, so those who are into UFC catch its familiar vibes:

Afterword
If there's anything worth saying that I may have forgotten mentioning or anything that anyone else loves above Kengan Omega, please feel free to share your views. For those of you that have not read Kengan Asura or Kengan Omega but like fighting shonens: run give it a chance. It's just an awesome manga.

Also: if my English became too broken at any point of my post or if I made any mistake, please tell me so!

Last edited:

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Great campaign and cool reading! Never heard of this manga before but it looks pretty lit, will give it a try :zomg
Thank you and glad it picked your interest!
Remember to check out Kengan Asura before Kengan Omega. While I think Omega is better plotwise, reading them in the right order will make Omega's plot all the more enjoyable and the characters' reappearances all the more exciting!

animeangryfan4

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
no brainer
Kengan Omega.
Tokyo Ghoul did have somethings more superior. Such a hero that talked with a "boku", more female characters and horror
but when it comes to sequals, action and art as well as a story I want to see more deeper in, then its Kengan Omega.

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Thank you and glad it picked your interest!
Remember to check out Kengan Asura before Kengan Omega. While I think Omega is better plotwise, reading them in the right order will make Omega's plot all the more enjoyable and the characters' reappearances all the more exciting!
Hands down you are a much better promoter than me lol :3c:super

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
All right.

For those of you who don't know about Kengan Omega, I'll start by stating it's an ongoing weekly direct sequel to Kengan Asura (or Kengan Ashura): a GREAT series that's just an as highly recommended read as Kengan Omega.

There are two other series in the same "Kenganverse" that predate Omega but are more spin-offs than anything else and can't brag about the same godlike drawing style Asura and Omega display.

Synopsis
Narushima Koga is a skilled but problematic young fighter obsessed with getting a rematch against the legendary Tokita Ohma (the main character from Kengan Asura), who kicked his ass three years ago. Koga finds out about Ohma's participation in the Kengan Matches: underground fights between representatives of large corporations and businesses who settle conflicts and business deals by their representative fighters. Of course, Koga is more than just a little excited to find more about these Kengan Matches and Ohma's whereabouts.

I'm not willing to give too much away since, for a martial arts manga, the plot really is actually interesting and engaging, but throw in an interesting deuteragonist that despite not being evil has no morals and can't tell why killing someone is "bad", a rival underground tournaments ready to fight for the monopoly of the industry, more than one ancient evil clan of assassins with their own agendas, certain elements of sci-fi technology, and a well-written expansion of every plot from Kengan Asura.

The Good Parts
Despite this being a fighting shonen, it's much more than any average fighting shonen. The fights are mostly over the top, with certain fighters being clearly in the superhuman realm, but every single fighter (and there are lots of them) has a clearly differentiable martial style.
Of course, every character has his won backstory, personality strengths, weaknesses and goals. Relating to some of them and becoming fond of most of them is an easy task.

Most of the fighting styles used throughout the series are based on real martial arts, which makes it even more entertaining for martial arts freaks such as myself, even if the strength of the techniques is mostly exaggerated for shonen's sake. On the other hand, those few styles that are entirely fictional are just COOL.

Not only are the martial arts and how they are represented sweet; the fight choreographies are top tier and the superb quality of the drawings just makes it even sweeter.

For those who are into comedy or ecchi, Kengan Omega also provides some between all the fighting:

The Even Better Parts
There are certain elements that make this shonen stand out even from its current peers, just like the original Kengan Asura:

1- The sweat and the blood.
Kengan Omega goes through great lengths to show the progressive growth of our boy Koga, who despite being a genius has to really up his game if he ever wants to be on the level of the world's fiercest fighters. Such a level-up can't happen overnight and this manga won't pretend that it's possible nor will it resort to simplifying it to a simple training montage and a timeskip.

This manga reaches a special balance:
- On one hand there's the crude reality of underground fighting; there's blood, there's death (mostly outside of the ring) and there is some gory stuff.
- On the other hand, the gore is never gratuitous and, is always well justified by the plot, which allows the manga to remain maintain a certain "elegance".

So far it's been much less gore than its predecessor Kengan Asura, though.

2- The unpredictability.
There are some very clear antagonists and villains in this story, but not every enemy is one of them.
The nature of the Kengan Matches and the plot behind the first tournament of this manga, make it so enemy fighters are just representatives with morals that are not necessarily antagonistic nor evil. For the same reason, certain allies like Kure Raian are murderous crazies with clearly twisted moralities.

What's interesting about this is that matches between non-antagonistic characters are the most unpredictable. Add to that how new fighters with styles unknown to the readers are constantly introduced and this ruthless manga won't let you guess the winner of most of it's matches. Something Kengan Asura already excelled at.

3- The sportsmanship.
This is one of the most beautiful aspects of the Kenganverse for me.
Yes, there are some evil, twisted or apathetic characters that are exceptions to this but, as I mentioned on the previous point, most fighters are just representatives doing a job; most of them just for money, fame or for their love of martial arts and the thrill of the fight.
Every single fight in the series has at least two fighters beating eachother to a pulp until they K.O. their opponent on a blood pool, yet once the fight is over they bond with each other and many of them remain friends for life, setting aside every resentment they could have from losing and having only respect for eachother.

This, of course, does not apply to the true villains of the story, mostly unrelated to the underground fights.

Animation
Sadly, Kengan Omega is not animated, but Netflix is slowly adapting Kengan Asura (with a little less blood but pretty good nevertheless), so I'll share both the first opening of Kengan Asura:

And the song of its first ending, so those who are into UFC catch its familiar vibes:

Afterword
If there's anything worth saying that I may have forgotten mentioning or anything that anyone else loves above Kengan Omega, please feel free to share your views. For those of you that have not read Kengan Asura or Kengan Omega but like fighting shonens: run give it a chance. It's just an awesome manga.

Also: if my English became too broken at any point of my post or if I made any mistake, please tell me so!
Goddammit, that's some really great campaign you've pulled here. I would give you more likes if the like button wasn't limited to only one like :XD

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Definitely going with Tokyo Ghoul here.It is one of my favourites and a high tier manga.

Such psychology and complexity of human nature is potrayed so beautifully in the manga.

Two intensely great protagonists-Touka and Kaneki.

So yeah Tokyo Ghoul gets my vote.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
A couple of the spoiler-tagged pictures seemed broken so I reuploaded 'em better.

Hands down you are a much better promoter than me lol :3c:super
Have you promoted something on this forum before? Honest, interested, question.

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
A couple of the spoiler-tagged pictures seemed broken so I reuploaded 'em better.

Have you promoted something on this forum before? Honest, interested, question.
By promoted i meant i tried to suggest it to others and yes i did a kengan ashura/ omega thread few months ago but it is me and 2 more people lol thats why i said you have it better because you managed to make more people interesting in kengan that me :)

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
By promoted i meant i tried to suggest it to others and yes i did a kengan ashura/ omega thread few months ago but it is me and 2 more people lol thats why i said you have it better because you managed to make more people interesting in kengan that me :)
Ah, I get it. Well, I'll make sure to join your thread! It hadn't occurred to me to look if there was one but I love seeing people invested in this manga.

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Very nice campaign for Kengan Omega and since I only caught up with it 2 weeks ago so recency bias favors Kengan. Tokyo Ghoul used to have a very special place in my heart. The depressing mood, brilliant art style and Tarot cards will always be dear to my heart. This is definitely the toughest choice. I wish Tokyo Ghoul would have stopped here and there was no Re:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Haven't started Kengan yet but I plan to. Read TG however. With that campaign of course I'll vote for Kengan.

no brainer
Kengan Omega.
Tokyo Ghoul did have somethings more superior. Such a hero that talked with a "boku", more female characters and horror
but when it comes to sequals, action and art as well as a story I want to see more deeper in, then its Kengan Omega.
How does that make a manga better? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.