Mangahelpers Anime Awards 2012 Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mangahelpers Anime Awards 2012 Discussion Thread

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Welcome to The MangaHelpers Anime Awards, an awards competition where you, the fans, nominate and decide what is the best of the best in the Anime world.

General Rules

The nomination process

Who will submit the nominations?
The nominations will be submitted by members of the staff and by you, the members of the site. In that way, all the members of the site will come together to decide what is the best of the best. :)

How to submit a nomination
Submit a nomination for the different award categories by posting in the category threads and by explaining why said series/character/event deserves to be a nominee for that award category. Please add a link to MAL where it's pertinent and please provide links to videos on youtube if available for the OP/ED/Insert song/ Anime OST categories.

- You don’t have to nominate for all the award categories, but you can make 3 nominations for each award category.

-Out of all the nominations for the different award categories, only the 5 nominations that earn the most support (“I support XX”) become the official nominees. In case of a tie (f.ex. 7 series having the same amount of support votes), there will be a short tie-breaker poll. If the poll ends in another tie, the staff will randomly choose the last official nominees.

- To show your support for a nomination, the only thing you need to do is to write a post in the specific thread indicating your support for said nomination. Please note that this counts as a "nomination", meaning you will have one (or more) less series/person/etc. to nominate.

-The nomination process will take place from 17th December to 31th December, 4 PM GMT+1. You can edit your nomination once during that period. To edit a nomination, please make a new post and follow the template to change a nomination, if you don’t, your new nomination won’t be considered.

- Once a series/character/event has been nominated, it doesn’t need to be nominated for a second time. If you agree with said nomination, please use the appropriate template to support it.

- Below are the templates to submit your nominations:

Template to make a nomination:

I nominate - *insert name of the nominee*: *insert explanation of why said series/character/event deserves to be a nominee for that award category*.

Note: Please be prudent in using spoiler tags for major events (eg death, plot twists), and label your spoiler tags with the series name so people know what they are getting themselves into.

Template to support a nomination:

I support *insert the name of the nominee*

Template to edit a previous nomination:

I originally nominated *insert name of nominee*, but now I want to change it to *insert name of new nominee*

-Please respect the opinions and nominations of others. It’s okay if you don’t like a series or a character or an event that another person nominates and it’s okay if you don’t agree with said nomination; but please do not bash the character, or the series, or event, or the person who posts the nomination. The purpose of The MangaHelpers Anime Awards is to do something as a whole community while having fun, not to initiate any kind of drama or fights.

-In case an award category doesn’t have enough nominations, the rest of the nominees will come from a panel of experts and members from the staff.

Awards categories

Best Anime Overall
Best (new) Anime 2012
Most Disappointing Anime 2012

Best Male Character
Best Female Character
Best Seiyuu

Best Opening Theme
Best Ending Theme

Best Comedy
Best WTF Moment
Best Classic

Best Action
Best Horror
Best Fight

Best Artwork/Animation

Best Slice of Life
Best Couple
Best Full Cast
Best Death
Best Studio

Best Drama
Best Mystery
Best Fantasy
Best Plot Twist
Best Sports
Best Villain

Best Episode

Best Movie
Best OVA
The Voting Process

- The 5 finalists will be selected through the first voting process. The voting will be poll-based.

-You don’t have to vote for all the award categories, but you can only vote for a category once. So please make sure you are voting for the series/characters/events you really want to vote for before clicking on the poll.
The poll is multiple-choice and will allow you to vote for 3 of the nominees

-Once you have cast your vote, please feel free to continue the discussion about the nominees and who you think will be the winners of this contest.

-The finalists of each award category will be the ones that earn the most votes.

-The voting process will take place from 2nd January to 9th January. The finals will start one day later.

- The finals will take place from 10th to 24th January, allowing you to only vote for one of the finalists. Think twice because this time, you will decide the winner!

The results of the MangaHelpers Anime Awards will be posted approximately seven days after the closing of the voting process.

-If you have any questions about the awards competition, please feel free to contact me or any of the following moderators via PM:

Josef K.
xi0
goldb
phio_chan
Doraku

We hope you all will enjoy this event to its fullest! :confetti

Last edited:

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
just a remark, last year we had an anime award, i think this year awards should only concern 2011-2012 animes in most categories

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
just a remark, last year we had an anime award, i think this year awards should only concern 2011-2012 animes in most categories
There are two categories that concern 2012, or well recent anime. Though, limiting the choice to only two years seems it would take away from the magic of the discussion about some classics, and probably some super alternative anime that someone might nominate, it's a chance for others to find good anime as well. :nod

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
There seems to be some confusion so I want to clear things up:

1. The only categories limited to 2012 only are "Best new Anime 2012" and "Most Disappointing Anime 2012". "Best Classic" has a time-limit too (everything before the new millenium) but besides these three there are no time-limits.

2. This award is anime-only so please don't nominate a series that hasn't been animated yet. Doesn't matter if it's already planned or not, as long as it's not released yet it's impossible to judge and thus can't be nominated.
Same goes for characters or events which haven't been covered in the anime yet.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Silly question: Can I consider Korra? I know it's not anime, but it's an animated series highly accepted in the anime community. And I like to vote for it in some categories. :O

Ghan

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
1. The only categories limited to 2012 only are "Best new Anime 2012" and "Most Disappointing Anime 2012". "Best Classic" has a time-limit too (everything before the new millenium) but besides these three there are no time-limits.[/B]
A lot of people seem to not be aware of this. Hopefully they'll see it

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Can we nominate manhwa characters?

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Silly question: Can I consider Korra? I know it's not anime, but it's an animated series highly accepted in the anime community. And I like to vote for it in some categories. :O
Well, the series can be confused with an anime, though I think these awards are purely on what is only considered to be anime, western cartoons might come close, but anime is a category in it's own in animation. It's not a problem, but to keep the theme of the awards.

Can we nominate manhwa characters?
Rarely do manhwa get turned into anime, these are ANIME awards, manga can not be nominated, thus manhwa either. If you mean manhwa that are turned into anime? Then, maybe ...

[niichan]If it's a manhwa turned into an anime then YES ;)[/niichan]

Last edited by a moderator:

futurefrog

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
How is this 2012 awards when half of the people are voting for anime that hasn't aired in years?
Shouldn't we focus on and celebrate the great anime that has aired in 2012? Why should an old series deserve a spot that some new blood should have?
I personally think the focus should be on the best of this year, not the best of any other year. Anyone else agree?

Ghan

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
How is this 2012 awards when half of the people are voting for anime that hasn't aired in years?
Shouldn't we focus on and celebrate the great anime that has aired in 2012? Why should an old series deserve a spot that some new blood should have?
I personally think the focus should be on the best of this year, not the best of any other year. Anyone else agree?
If you look above, naruto-niichan stated that there are only 2 categories limited to this year. Dont let the title confuse you. The Anime awards are about everyone coming together and giving there input about different aspects of anime as a whole. Not to mention that some people are also able to find out about cool anime that they haven't heard of :^_^

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
These awards are for fun only, not intended for any grander purpose. It's more fun to talk about all the anime we like, rather than just the new ones. Why arbitrarily limit ourselves to a calender year if we do not have to? The results of these polls are not important, just an informal popularity contest among fans. Ghan already said what really matters: it's an opportunity for everyone to share their favorites, and discover anime they had never heard of. Finding new anime is easy, we have new season previews stickied in the Otaku Theater, filled with pics, videos, and comments. It's harder to find older titles, even recently ended ones, after discussion has died down and the thread is archived. So rather than impose a time frame, it's better to let fans be fans and just nominate their favorites, no matter when they aired.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I remind you to make the nomination count process getting easier by:

- Bold the nomination. Another thing is when you want to nominate a particular Anime, please explicitly state the title of the Anime that you want to be nominated instead of just vaguely "supporting it"

- When you're making nomination for Best Death/Plot Twist/WTF moment, please write the title of the Anime on the spoiler tag like this:
See the title on the Spoiler
or write the title in bold on the top of the spoiler.

Kazna

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
I noticed the thread for "Best Classic" is missing. Was it deleted?

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I noticed the thread for "Best Classic" is missing. Was it deleted?
That's because of a server crash. "Best Classic" isn't the only one missing, there are 10 threads that need to be recovered.
Don't worry though, we're doing our best to put them back as soon as possible~

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The threads are all now restored, continue the nominations!

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
These awards are for fun only, not intended for any grander purpose. It's more fun to talk about all the anime we like, rather than just the new ones. Why arbitrarily limit ourselves to a calender year if we do not have to? The results of these polls are not important, just an informal popularity contest among fans. Ghan already said what really matters: it's an opportunity for everyone to share their favorites, and discover anime they had never heard of. Finding new anime is easy, we have new season previews stickied in the Otaku Theater, filled with pics, videos, and comments. It's harder to find older titles, even recently ended ones, after discussion has died down and the thread is archived. So rather than impose a time frame, it's better to let fans be fans and just nominate their favorites, no matter when they aired.
This would make sense if it was an event that occurs only once. But it now happens every year. So what do we discuss this year that we didn't discuss the other year already. What is the fun in having almost the same nomination every year ? They are already the same as the manga awards enough. If you want to make people discuss about old animes or old mangas why not make a dedicate award event for them ? There was a lot of discussion when it happened for the first time but it seems to me it was not as successful the second time. To me the reason is because they are repetitive. Personaly, these type of all time awards loses a lot of their interest and I'm not sure to participate in them anymore. It would make more sense if the 2012 award was the majority and not the exception. I don't know any other yearly awards that works this way.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
This would make sense if it was an event that occurs only once. But it now happens every year. So what do we discuss this year that we didn't discuss the other year already. What is the fun in having almost the same nomination every year ? They are already the same as the manga awards enough. If you want to make people discuss about old animes or old mangas why not make a dedicate award event for them ? There was a lot of discussion when it happened for the first time but it seems to me it was not as successful the second time. To me the reason is because they are repetitive. Personaly, these type of all time awards loses a lot of their interest and I'm not sure to participate in them anymore. It would make more sense if the 2012 award was the majority and not the exception. I don't know any other yearly awards that works this way.
I disagree that the nominations are always the same in every categories (or were you talking about Best Anime Overall and Best Classic?). What you said in some cases might be true if we talk about Manga awards, but in Anime, I couldn’t notice any exact similarities between the previous awards and now. For example, Code Geass and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood were dominating in the previous award, but this year I haven’t see any of them being nominated (except Code Geass in the best OP), because either they won the previous awards or members prefer newer Anime. I’m almost one hundred percent sure that trends would change by next year too.

With all due respect, I think you’re being too skeptical about this award. The purpose of this award, like Kait have said, is mainly for fun. Promoting new Anime is a great purpose, but that’s a bonus. There is nothing wrong with nominating old Anime. If you want to promote new Anime, then do it, nominate them in our nomination threads. I’m sure members who are visiting the nomination threads might want to try to watch a particular new Anime because many people are nominating it. Take Magi as an example.

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
These awards are not intended to be objective critiques, reviews, criticisms, or year end anime wrap ups. They are only intended as fun way for fans to talk about the anime they like. The last thing we want is to draw imaginary lines around an activity only intended for fun. This is a fan forum, all we care about is giving fans the opportunity to talk about what they watch. And not just what they watched in the 2012 calender year, but everything they watch. If that risks a little repetition, so be it. If activity is any reflection, a lot of members are really enjoying the awards. Seeing so many new faces posting is a success unto itself.

Please remember that anime fandom is very different than manga fandom. Most anime are only 12 - 25 episodes long, with new shows debuting every three months. Part of being an anime fan is picking out new shows every season. There is natural turnover within fandom, necessitated by the format itself. Upcoming anime are announced months in advance, and receive considerable publicity in Japan, all of which is quickly disseminated around the net. Finding new shows to watch is a ten minute affair. As with all new TV shows, anime fans are accustomed to trying new shows without heavily vetting them first. Knowing where to look is easy; we keep upcoming and current season previews stickied at all times in the Otaku Theater. Most categories reflect fan emphasis on the new. While some old favorites have been nominated, all categories have been dominated by titles from 2011 and 2012.

The last anime only awards began in mid-February 2011, too early for anime from 2011 to be nominated. The 2011 winter season was barely a month old when the awards started, some of the most popular titles (for example: now classics Steins;Gate, AnoHana, and Madako Magica) would not debut until after the nomination process was over.

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
These awards are not intended to be objective critiques, reviews, criticisms, or year end anime wrap ups. They are only intended as fun way for fans to talk about the anime they like. The last thing we want is to draw imaginary lines around an activity only intended for fun.
I don't see how restricting them to a period of time would prevent these events from being enjoyable and people having fun. In what exactly would it make them something objective ? Isn't it interesting and fun to discuss what you have enjoyed the most last year compare to the other, what were your deceptions and your surprises ? Isn't that more interesting than nominating Akainu/Orochimaru for Best villain, Ace/Jiraiya for Best death for the N+1 times.
This is a fan forum, all we care about is giving fans the opportunity to talk about what they watch. And not just what they watched in the 2012 calender year, but everything they watch. If that risks a little repetition, so be it. If activity is any reflection, a lot of members are really enjoying the awards. Seeing so many new faces posting is a success unto itself.
Then what is the point in calling them 2012 awards ? There are others threads to discuss what we watch, have watched or will watch.
Please remember that anime fandom is very different than manga fandom. Most anime are only 12 - 25 episodes long, with new shows debuting every three months. Part of being an anime fan is picking out new shows every season. There is natural turnover within fandom, necessitated by the format itself. Upcoming anime are announced months in advance, and receive considerable publicity in Japan, all of which is quickly disseminated around the net. Finding new shows to watch is a ten minute affair. As with all new TV shows, anime fans are accustomed to trying new shows without heavily vetting them first. Knowing where to look is easy; we keep upcoming and current season previews stickied at all times in the Otaku Theater. Most categories reflect fan emphasis on the new. While some old favorites have been nominated, all categories have been dominated by titles from 2011 and 2012.
Hopefully the awards are naturally biased toward the recent series and events and help renewing the nomination but then that make even less sense to not restrict the period of time. Well I guess it makes it a battle between the last one showed against the all time favourite...

Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's 2012 because this is an annual event. :)