Voting Round 2 - Mercy vs. Aqua | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 2 Mercy vs. Aqua

Who wins?

• Mercy

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Aqua

Votes: 30 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xadyu

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
There is one post in this entire thread that taught me ANYTHING about Aqua. It's this one.
Then you obviously don't read everything because I made a rather fine post explaining how and who she is. :pls

Heero Yuy

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
What does genre matter? Sure RPGs are better for experiencing the story through the game, but just because OW is a competitive multiplayer game at it's core, doesn't mean the characters having nothing to them. Complaints about comics, stories, or cinematics don't seem very valid to me IMO. Just because you have to take an extra step to get the whole story doesn't mean the story is nonexistent (you might not like the story or the medium, but that's not what's being talked about here).
Extra Step that proves my point, the fact you HAVE TO GO THE EXTRA MILE TO GIVE your character a story not some initial mini lore fact from the get go means you don't learn anything at all, not even League of Legends does that this when they release things, they always have an actual lore along side released with Champions be it lore, lore updates even events also have lore to it, and League is hella more known then OW

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
I kinda regret voting now.
Same, I would gladly change my vote at this point, lmao.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Extra Step that proves my point, the fact you HAVE TO GO THE EXTRA MILE TO GIVE your character a story not some initial mini lore fact from the get go means you don't learn anything at all, not even League of Legends does that this when they release things, they always have an actual lore along side released with Champions be it lore, lore updates even events also have lore to it, and League is hella more known then OW
Oh c'mon.... Wanna compare a lore description with actually seeing a character developing within a game along with its story? You can't compare a moba with the story proggression of a game that is based on that LOL. You're just making a comparisong with LoL 'cause it serves your argument, that has 0 ground. If she was from LoL, you'd be saying there's no comparison as well, cause there isn't. So yeah if a game releases anything else on a character, you can't use it? 'Cause it's not in game - simply 'cause it's not the game purpose to have it there? Please.

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The latest discussion basically decrease my support for Aqua further and further in future rounds :grumble

So yeah if a game releases anything else on a character, you can't use it?
I mean the KH Birth by Sleep is used in arguments which can be treated as DLC :lambirb

My problem was more with the fact that people go for those kind of characters over actual good nominations. These events are meant for picking a winner that's most suitable as wife or husband.

Most nominations are not that, and not just in my opinion, but in actual human standards, the fact that most of them are actually popular characters is a whole different thing.
Underatted comment..

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
This character war would've been fun last round against Emma, but she lost so that's old news.
True. There was a really nice campaign post for Emma explaining her character a lot, but no words about Aqua and she still silently passed the round :catshrug

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I mean the KH Birth by Sleep is used in arguments which can be treated as DLC :lambirb.
How is a full length game ever a DLC...?
Especially because it is a prequel.
Square Enix' and Disneys multi platform shenanigans are retarded but don't matter here at all.

The thing I actually don't get is why people claim there are no posts about Aqua while there clearly are quite a few. Not all from me, yes, shame on me.
Yet this is dumb. Want me to get started? Fine. Wait till I get home from work. <.<
True. There was a really nice campaign post for Emma explaining her character a lot, but no words about Aqua and she still silently passed the round :catshrug
Her beauty speaks for itself. :frankerz

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I voted for Aqua earlier on, seemed like there is more going for her based on the discussion. I relied on that since I know nothing/little about both (I briefly played OW, I liked Mercy, knew nothing about her though). I kinda regret voting now.

This character war would've been fun last round against Emma, but she lost so that's old news.
Could you ask an admin to change your vote? :redface

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
Sky is finally going to work on his campaign :zomg

I admire that xad and esfar helped because I was lazy to do an other campaign for someone I didn't plan anything for.

Reactions: Sky

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Then you obviously don't read everything because I made a rather fine post explaining how and who she is. :pls
Ah, your referring to this one right?

@GrySun pls :pls

The fact that the overall story features Disney characters doesn't mean it's not deep or anything else than childish. The general consensus here is that Kingdom Hearts does have an actual story, and Overwatch does not. Making a biography for a character does not make it a story.

And seeing as @Sky is fucking shit at campaigning for his nomination, I'll try to bother and explain why Aqua is a better character than a generic MOBA character without any depth added to it. (Sure, once you count in the comics and animated shorts and everything, she's got some depth to her)

Aqua's devotion and loyalty goes many lengths, she's caring, sweet and innocent, even making good luck charms for her friends for their journeys they have to go through. She does literally everything to protect her friends from harm, even going so far as sacrificing her own life to do so. She have an amazing and strong sense of justice, the desire to do right. She never loses sight of what the right thing to do is, despite her friends often losing sight or getting influenced by outside-sources.

She's serious, kind, strong-willed, intelligent, responsible, tough and extremely reliable. This makes her a strong woman, but she has her soft side too, once you get intimate she's there to make the moments count, she'll blush, she'll get embarrassed, trying to compose herself when you get overly sweet and romantic. She's modest and despite being a keyblade master she knows she can always learn more and be better.

In her debut game we saw her going from trainee to master, never straying from the path of light (and righteousness), all her actions throughout were selfless and intended to save/help her friends and other innocent people, free the world of sinister forces.

We see a small and cute girl going on a journey with two friends, a journey trying to rid the world of darkness (the evil), becoming a full-fledged warrior/heroine and a confident woman.
You right I didn't read all of this and there is some character explanations here, not to be rude but the first time I read it I gave up after the 3rd paragraph of continuous uncontextualized praise. But the last two sentences are what I'm looking for here. That's the meat. And what I'm looking for and would love even more of.

"In her debut game we saw her going from trainee to master, never straying from the path of light (and righteousness), all her actions throughout were selfless and intended to save/help her friends and other innocent people, free the world of sinister forces.

We see a small and cute girl going on a journey with two friends, a journey trying to rid the world of darkness (the evil), becoming a full-fledged warrior/heroine and a confident woman."

See this tells me a little about her because it describes an appealing character arc to me and that means something to me.:nod

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sky is finally going to work on his campaign :zomg

I admire that xad and esfar helped because I was lazy to do an other campaign for someone I didn't plan anything for.
I'd be in a nursing home before that happens. In the meanwhile, here is a cute photo of Mercy:

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
just wanted to add about her sacrificing her life, technically it wasn't her life but her future and everything being trapped forever or till someone come for her (mickey ) and open the path between the realm of darkness and light, till then she only survive by fighting the heartless in the realm of darkness and trying as hard as she can not to lose herself to it. ( for 12 years )
I'd be in a nursing home before that happens. In the meanwhile, here is a cute photo of Mercy:

So cute :hurr

Oh no I need to resist the cuteness :darn

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
just wanted to add about her sacrificing her life, technically it wasn't her life but her future and everything being trapped forever or tell someone came form her (mickey ), till then she only survive by fighting the heartless in the realm of darkness amd trying as hard as she can not to lose herself to it. ( for 12 years )
Yes! This is what I'm looking for. God bless you @Asako .

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
just wanted to add about her sacrificing her life, technically it wasn't her life but her future and everything being trapped forever or tell someone came form her (mickey ), till then she only survive by fighting the heartless in the realm of darkness amd trying as hard as she can not to lose herself to it. ( for 12 years )

So cute :sky2

Oh no I need to resist the cutest :darn
I'll post some more later ;)

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
You're posting another fanart picture of your nomination that looks nothing like your nomination?

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
You're posting another fanart picture of your nomination that looks nothing like your nomination?

It's one of the skins of mercy. ( I think, there's too many to keep count of )

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
It's one of the skins of mercy. ( I think, there's too many to keep count of )
There's a skin that makes her look like a cute baby girl?

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
Yup here I just found it.

The fanart version look way cuter

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
Yes, that looks exactly like that picture she posted. :catshrug

Reactions: Sky

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
Isn't the power of fanart great. and scary.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Reebi-chan, allow me to butt in 'cause I wanna contribute to people's perspective as well ç.ç

About Mercy:
Dr. Angela Ziegler is a medic and a scientist, and one of the most prominent and talented doctors there is when it comes to technology applied to healing. She's a long term friend of Torbjörn Lindholm's family and followed his adaptations and recovery when he lost his arm, while still studying medicine. She was considered a prodigy in her field.
After obtaining her MD and PHD, she became the head of surgery in an important Swiss Hopistal and became a pioneer in nanobiology, improving the treatment of illnesses and injuries. That called the attention of Overwatch.
Her parents died at war so she opposed to the militaristic approach of the organization, but later recognized she had the opportunity to save more lives through them. She became Overwatch's head of medical research, developing a swift-response suit (that she piloted herself) to attend to frontline healing.
She's a peace defender, and has opposed to maneuvers to put her contributions for offensive intends. She reprimands the weaponization of biotic technology. She was also persistent about the organization having a protagonist role on aiding cities that needed medical assistance during war conflicts.
In the end, the constant differences between her POV and Overwatch's caused her to leave the organization. After that, she has dedicated herself to helping those affected by war, using her skills and knowledge and promoting a more peaceful world (this has been shortened and adapted from Overwatch's wikia page, that used several official sources to compile those informations).

Btw, I voted for Aqua - and kinda regret it, but that's unrelated to the character. I like her concept more, even though it's unrealistic (just like Mercy's to a degree, I reckon). But hey, this is fiction, so that's not a con for her, but picking between her and Mercy is more about identification than anything, imo. A brilliant, committed and obstinate scientist that dedicated her life to a cause sounds like a good concept to me as well. Of course that if you played Kingdom Hearts and Overwatch, you'll be more impacted by Aqua's background and psyche, 'cause that's what immersion does (and that's not my case since I've never played KH, but followed people's comments here). Also, yeah, you'll see more "slutty" (as someone described here) materials of Mercy than Aqua, cause that's the design style of both, but people have been voting for bigger boobs in other threads, so that shouldn't be a problem here either at all, lmao, and not even held against Mercy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.