Fun - Most Memorable Sporting Moments | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Fun Most Memorable Sporting Moments

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This thread is to discuss and post your most memorable sporting moments. Different to what the Funny thread is about, as we're not posting about just funny incidents that happen off the field but great football, basketball, olympic moments that you remember from your childhood until now.

What were they and was a sad/happy/funny/scary moment for you?

I'll go first. Most are probably familiar with this, it's one of my most memorable Olympic moments ever, and funny:

It's made even better listening to it in french, as the commentators are so hilarious as they cheer and encourage the swimmer to keep going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll go with James Harrison's 100 yard interception return for a touchdown run in the Superbowl.

So many great things about this. From the fact that sprinting 100 yards nearly kills Harrison(haha). Then on the play itself the sheer number of amazing blocking that made it possible was just fantastic effort. Some of the guys from the secondary throwing a block then getting up and running the play down to throw ANOTHER. I just love that play.

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
My personal favourite is that ice skater from Australia. It was hilarious. Steve Bradbury won gold & still doesn't know how.

His story can be found on wikipedia:
Bradbury won his heat convincingly in the 1,000 m, posting a time of 1 m 30.956 s. However, it appeared that his run would end when the draw for the quarter-finals was made; Bradbury was allocated to the same race as Apolo Anton Ohno (the favourite from the host nation) and Marc Gagnon of Canada (the defending World Champion), and only the top two finishers from each race would proceed to the semifinals. Bradbury finished third in his race and thought himself to be eliminated; however, Gagnon was disqualified for obstructing another racer, thus allowing the Australian to advance to the semi-finals.[13]
After consulting the national coach Ann Zhang, Bradbury's strategy from the semi-final onwards was to cruise behind his opponents and hope that they crashed, as he realised that he was slower and could not match their raw pace.[14] His reasoning was that risk-taking by the favourites could cause a collision due to a racing incident, and if two skaters (or more) fell, the remaining three would all get medals, and that as he was slower than his opponents, trying to challenge them directly would only increase his own chances of falling.[14][15] Bradbury said that he was satisfied with his result, and felt that as the second oldest competitor in the entire field, he was not able to match his opponents in four races on the same night.[16]
In his semi-final race, Bradbury was in last place, well off the pace of the medal favourites. However, three of the other competitors in the semi-final—defending champion Kim Dong-Sung of South Korea, multiple Olympic medallist Li Jiajun of China and Mathieu Turcotte of Canada—crashed, paving the way for the Australian to take second place and thus allowing him through to the final.[16]
Bradbury was again well off the pace in the final, and all four of Bradbury's competitors (Ohno, Ahn Hyun-Soo, Li and Turcotte) crashed out at the final corner while jostling for the gold medal. This allowed the Australian, who was around 15 m behind with only 50 m to go, to avoid the pile-up and take the victory.[14][15][17] Bradbury raised his arms aloft in complete disbelief and amazement at the unlikely circumstances of his victory. A shocked Bradbury became the first person from any southern hemisphere country to win a Winter Olympic event.[18] After a period of delay, the judges upheld the result and did not order a re-race, confirming Bradbury's victory.[19]
The video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYUjmEH9NNk

Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
I have a couple I guess.

This one is prolly the most relevant to this thread. 2004, I was a kid. I'm not gonna lie and say I remember watching it, but I think we were at school and we were allowed to listen to the radio. Then after coming back home we realised how big of a deal it was. In the last second, in 2004 Olympics, Ginobili scored a winner against the world champs (and then we got carried by him and got a golden medal).

"La palomita de Ginobili", called like that because palomita = diving header in football

Then I have 2 more moments.

Milan / Liverpool in 2005, that match taught me that in football, anything can happen in any moment. The match ain't lost till the end. Since that day players like Gerrard (versatile midfielders) have been my favourites.

And well, this last one made me realise that I'm a lucky charm. I had been suspecting it for years but I wasn't sure if it was true :XD

Arsenal was losing 4-0 (it wasn't aired on TV). Dunno where I said (I think here actually) "Give me a link, I'm a lucky charm" and Arsenal ended up winning 7-5. It wasn't a really important match at all, but the comeback was simply epic.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Holy crap how did I forget this one, prolly the goal I yelled the most in my life:

BASED Shinigami

Reaction score
Country
United States
How about this one 2004 ALCS game 4 Big Papi walk off HR

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

Hurtful for me as a Bayern fan, so all the more memorable

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Up until now? Well, can I call the Cubs' finally winning in over 100 years a memorable sports moment? Because I'm sure most people will remember this day for a long time. Good for you Cubs, good for you. :beer