Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist)

Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist)...?

• Ace's Death

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Gol D. Roger being Ace's father

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Shirahoeshi being Poseidon

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Luffy declaring war on a Yonkou

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Luffy - Dragon - Garp

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Duval looking like the image on Sanji's wanted poster

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Robin joining the Strawhats

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shanks stopping Akainu and saving Cobi in the war

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Welcome to the results of
Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist)
3rd place with 9 votes: Gol D. Roger being Ace's father

2nd place with 11 votes: Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama

1st place with 15 votes: Ace's death

4. Duval looking like the image on Sanji's wanted poster with 7 votes
5. tied with 6 votes each
Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago
Shirahoeshi being Poseidon
7. tied with 4 votes each
Luffy - Dragon - Garp
Robin joining the Strawhats
9. Luffy declaring war on a Yonkou
10. Shanks stopping Akainu and saving Cobi in the war

Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago (3)
Shirahoeshi being Poseidon (2)
Ace's Death (7)
Gol D. Roger being Ace's father (4)
Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama (3)
Luffy declaring war on a Yonkou
Luffy - Dragon - Garp
Duval looking like the image on Sanji's wanted poster
Robin joining the Strawhats
Shanks stopping Akainu and saving Cobi in the war

Last edited by a moderator:

Xadyu

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
There haven't been a lot of suprising or plot-twisting moments in One Piece for me.

The one moment that surprised me the most however, was when Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago.

BlackHair

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Shirahoeshi being Poseidon. After Pluton I wasn't expecting a ancient weapon to be be a "living object". Oda did take me by all surprise.

Astray

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ace actually being killed because there hadn't been any major character deaths in the series yet and it seemed so happy-go-lucky that Oda wouldn't ever do it.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Shirahoshi being Poseidon
I totally didn't see that happening, because before it was suposed that Ancient Weapons were actual weapons or I would say machines or ships or something like this, thus it was really a big surprise for me.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The one moment that surprised me the most however, was when Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago.
I support this nomination.

This was one of those moments I just sat there gaping at the screen, checking if there's another page, gaped some more. And of course, one of the weeks I had the hardest time waiting for the next chapter (which was just as gripping).

It just was so unexpected. Basically, what people were speculating about were either a deus ex machina (Dragon, Garp, etc) would help them and bring them to safety and they'd be fine, or they were gonna get beaten and captured. Those were the two logical things that could happen. "Kuma shows up and makes Zoro vanish". Well, in a way I guess that's sort of a deus ex machina. But no way did anyone anticipate that the SH's would be separated to different points of the world.. No way.

thundergod92

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ace's Death. The whole culmination of an arc long effort. Every week you found yourself cheering luffy and the whitebeard pirates on until it all came to an abrupt stop here.

Gotenkss

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Ace's Death. The whole culmination of an arc long effort. Every week you found yourself cheering luffy and the whitebeard pirates on until it all came to an abrupt stop here.
Is upport this. Also Whitebeard death after few chapters were also surprising

GiantAlienHamster

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Gol D. Roger being Ace's father . I think noone saw that coming.

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I nominate Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama It was so surprising. It was his first real defeat as a captain. The first time Luffy felt real despair

So, it's the same as Hipster Xadyu & Organized

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

But it was a completely anecdotic revelation. It gives an explanation to why the execution was public & rescheduled earlier ... but it's not an explanation that we really needed. I was OK thinking that Sengoku did that in order to prove to the world that even the great WB is not untouchable.

I just don't see how this revelation is a plot twist at all. It doesn't change anything. I was more surprised by the fact that Luffy did know about "Gol D Ace" & never spoke about it before.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Luffy declaring war on a Yonkou: I did not expect Luffy's first act, upon entering the New World, to be declaring Fishman Island his territory and challenge Big Mom to war over it. And send her a bomb, accidentally.

Oni Giri

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
i support this. ace saying they both have the blood of a criminal in their veins. damn. i'd really want to see my face at the moment of this revelation. i was like :jawdrop

Blanka

Reaction score
Country
United States
Luffy - Dragon - Garp

hoeru

Reaction score
Country
Mauritius
Duval looking like the image on Sanji's wanted poster!!!

Reason: DAMN!

wasu311

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I think Ace's dead was most shock for me...

MochiRoll

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I support this nomination.

This was one of those moments I just sat there gaping at the screen, checking if there's another page, gaped some more. And of course, one of the weeks I had the hardest time waiting for the next chapter (which was just as gripping).

It just was so unexpected. Basically, what people were speculating about were either a deus ex machina (Dragon, Garp, etc) would help them and bring them to safety and they'd be fine, or they were gonna get beaten and captured. Those were the two logical things that could happen. "Kuma shows up and makes Zoro vanish". Well, in a way I guess that's sort of a deus ex machina. But no way did anyone anticipate that the SH's would be separated to different points of the world.. No way.
Kuma splitting the SH's on Sabaody Archipelago

For the reasons stated above and zelllogan's.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I'm always surprised that this event is never more nominated because it was one of the biggest surprise in One Piece : Robin joining the Strawhat after they leave Arabasta.
plus it's one of my favorite chapter, I love how robin hypnotize the crew member after member.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm always surprised that this event is never more nominated because it was one of the biggest surprise in One Piece : Robin joining the Strawhat after they leave Arabasta.
plus it's one of my favorite chapter, I love how robin hypnotize the crew member after member.
Lots of fans joined the "one piece fanclub" already knowing Robin joined. That event is , in real life, 10 YEARS OLD.

Black Lagoon

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
There haven't been a lot of suprising or plot-twisting moments in One Piece for me.

I support this nomination too ... Don't wanna repeat what Organizized said. Even though Ace's death was shocking and that even after 5 chapters I still couldn't believe it and hoped for a miracle (I still remember myself throwing some crazy theories to get him back but ...), Kuma splitting the SH's was way too far to expect IMO, cuz in Ace's case there were only two possible scenario ... Ace will live or die, and one of them happened, even with this balance to his favor : 99,99% would live and 00,01% would die (IMO) --> I was able to expect the 00,01, thing that couldn't even imagine for Kuma splitting the SH¡s. :3c

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Lots of fans joined the "one piece fanclub" already knowing Robin joined. That event is , in real life, 10 YEARS OLD.
well unless you were spoiled, there was one time when you didn't know and were surprised.
I support this nomination too ... Don't wanna repeat what Organizized said. Even though Ace's death was shocking and that even after 5 chapters I still couldn't believe it and hoped for a miracle (I still remember myself throwing some crazy theories to get him back but ...), Kuma splitting the SH's was way too far to expect IMO, cuz in Ace's case there were only two possible scenario ... Ace will live or die, and one of them happened, even with this balance to his favor : 99,99% would live and 00,01% would die (IMO) --> I was able to expect the 00,01, thing that couldn't even imagine for Kuma splitting the SH¡s. :3c
That's quite exaggerate a lot of us expected Ace to die if you reread the discussion of that time. Many people wanted a death to make luffy grow up and that's what Oda did.

Last edited: