Discussion - Name This Character | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Name This Character

Who is This Character?

• Marvin

• Cross

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Silverwolf442

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This came up on another site, and there was some debate about who a character was. Cross or Marvin Huskin

Here's the pic

So, who is Tim with here? lol

Ever since I saw the pic some years ago, I instantly thought it was a younger Cross. But I had someone recently bring up it possibly being Marvin.

So, reasons I lean toward it being Cross

1. It seems to make more sense for Tim to be with him, or Nea -rather than Huskin, for some odd reason. Unless he's delivering a message.
2, Then there's the shirt the character is wearing. The sleeves seem to show it's a fancy ruffly shirt. And Cross is the main character who wears those. Hoshino mentioned in Concept Design that she gives Cross the fancy dress-shirts to show he's fashionable. So that is a basic part of his character design for her.

The person I debated was skeptical of it being Cross due to lack of facial hair, using Reverse to show that younger Cross had facial hair.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...ith_Tim.png/revision/latest?cb=20170115191649
Though I don't think Reverse was a younger Cross. lol Seems more like the same one we have now.

They also mention the image representing the Black Order characters younger. And that we see everyone from the science section. And in this portion of the picture we have, 65, Tap top and even Rob Neal, thinking it weird to have him w/o Marvin. Then question if Cross was with the Order so young.

So, where is everyone leaning?

Dlanor_A.Knox

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I think it's Cross, everything just screams Cross rather than Marvin.
Not only because of the points you've mentioned but also:

-The grin.
-Cross was part of the science department before becoming an excorcist. So that explains why he's between the other scientists.
-This might be around the "35 years ago" or sortly after, that's why he looks so young.
-Even if it was Marvin, why doesn't Tim interact a bit more with him, like he does with some of the others?

And indeed, the person on the picture looks like a end teen begin twenties. the Reverse Cross was already a full grown man so that might have been after he became an excorcist (he doesn't look like he's part of the science department anymore + judgement on the background).

Whatever happens, Cross & Allen are still the big mysteries from D.Gray-Man :D

MSofAofCOCA

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's Cross - imo the frilly sleeves give it away.

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
The person I debated with expended on their point recently. Here was their full verdict on it being Marvin.
I'll add some pictures of Marvin to support my point:

I don't know, the kind of hair seems to be more likely to be those of Marvin to me. Cross doesn't have that kind of hair fringe that go both sides of the face.

Admittedly the clothing thing would be strange for Marvin. All the other members of the Science Section are weazring the typical white coat but he would have special sleeves? In the same time, to me it would be really akward to have drawn everyone from the Science section (even rob) BUT Marvin.

Also, the age thing. It seems that all the characters here are drawn at a precise date in the past. And not at different random points in the time.

Here is the full full picture.

it includes children which make the estimation of the date easier).

This is only an estimation but to me, the younger characters would be Lenalee around 7 and Tewaku a bit younger. Link and Madarao around 10 seems credible too That would be about 10 years in the past.
This is consistent with the other characters: Bak has the same appearance as in Kanda's flashback , Johnny is clearly a teenager (around 15) and Reever in his late teenage years.

So Assuming the characters are around 10 year younger, I really don't see Cross being as young as the character we are talking about at that point. We don't know when Cross grew his goatea but he already had it 6 years ago (in reverse) and was much mature than the character drawn here.